-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use some filson stuff too, but for your backpack needs I'd use an alice or molle and be done with it.

GB1

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
Take a look at the Merlin from Seek Outside.

https://seekoutside.com/spectra-merlin-daypack-talon/

It is a stand alone daypack, about 1400 cu-in. Also it is a clip-on added bag to most Seek Outside packs.

I use it for a light daypack,

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

It can carry all of this no problem,

Silvertip shelter/pole/stakes
Helinox ground chair
1.5L Nalgene bottle
Stove/fuel
Binoculars

Clipped on to the Unaweep framed pack,
Shane,

I’ve owned and used a bunch of SO gear, and used to recommend them at every opportunity. Based on my recent dealings with their CS, however, I can no longer do so. I’ll be looking at other alternatives for future packs and shelters. Just a FYI for anybody interested.

That's kind of disappointing hearing their CS has slipped. I've accumulated a lot of their gear over the last several years.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I had a Camp Trails back pack in high school and college...

that pack has been to both ends of the Appalachian Trail in Maine and Georgia.. and everything in between....all 1100 miles of it..

in scouts in the 60s, I was a hiking fool and so were the troops I was in, and then same with the troop I was a Scout Master in during College..

got my son one just like it when he went thru scouts....2001 to 2012.. still got that one around here in the closet or shed...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I ve always had great CS with Seek outside. wonder what happened?

It is a stand alone daypack, about 1400 cu-in. Also it is a clip-on added bag to most Seek Outside packs.

Helinox ground chair
1.5L Nalgene bottle
Stove/fuel
Binoculars

Shane,

I’ve owned and used a bunch of SO gear, and used to recommend them at every opportunity. Based on my recent dealings with their CS, however, I can no longer do so. I’ll be looking at other alternatives for future packs and shelters. Just a FYI for anybody interested.

That's kind of disappointing hearing their CS has slipped. I've accumulated a lot of their gear over the last several years.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ribka
I ve always had great CS with Seek outside. wonder what happened?

Helinox ground chair
1.5L Nalgene bottle
Stove/fuel
Binoculars

Shane,

I have in the past, as well, but the most recent debacle has me a little disenchanted.

I started a warranty claim about 10 months ago, and have sent many emails and made many phone calls, and just today got a resolution to 1 of the 2 problems I had. The second problem will go unresolved. Communication and product support have ranged from underwhelming to very disappointing.

IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I have an old version...much older version...of the London Bay Trading Company's 3 day assault pack. It's made out of a very heavy condura material. I can't say what the current versions are made out of. The one use is very simple and very strong. I took the light belt of of it for how I use it now. I use it every day..... The one below is a newer version and a little different design. I've not used one of the later versions but for toughness, the one I have would be hard to beat.

https://lbtinc.com/collections/apks/products/1476a?variant=13181689167915

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Don't laugh till you try it. But for what you want to do pick up one of these for $30 at Cabelas. Many of the packs out there weigh more empty than the weight of the contents you put in them. This is under 9 oz empty. I bought the green with red trim and find myself using it more than the others. And I have several to choose from that cost considerably more.

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/ascend-dash-720-lightweight-backpack

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
Originally Posted by 4th_point
I don't have a use for that sort of pack, but if I did I would look at the HPG Junction Pack. I have some of their other products and the price/quality/design suit my needs.

https://hillpeoplegear.com/Products/CategoryID/3/ProductID/128

I have 2 of their packs one of is the Umlindi that I absolutely love. It's borderline hair big for EDC but will cinch down smaller if needed. I like the ability to add pockets for added organization of space, but the straps are handy to roll up a jacket, attach a tripod, any awkward items etc. Their shoulder straps are where it shines though it distributes weight better than any pack I've had.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tactical Tailor makes some basic 1 or 2 compartment packs.

Made in USA to boot.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Garandimal
Use a MilSurp MOLLE II Assault Pack:

[Linked Image from media.mwstatic.com]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

... $35 like new.

Heavy Cordura Nylon, tough as nails.

They come with about two pounds of jump straps, but you can cut those out.

Also has the high density foam and plastic sheet back protector

GR

Superb pack for light loads.

Great for winter or desert environments.

DWR treatment on fabric in contact with your back eliminates sweat absorption.

Easily dyed if desired.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
IC B3

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
If the OP hasn't bought one already check out Frost River.
Made in the USA!

"The more I am around people the better I like my dog." Mark Twain
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I have in the past, as well, but the most recent debacle has me a little disenchanted.

I started a warranty claim about 10 months ago, and have sent many emails and made many phone calls, and just today got a resolution to 1 of the 2 problems I had. The second problem will go unresolved. Communication and product support have ranged from underwhelming to very disappointing.

That sucks to hear. There are plenty of good shelter options IMO, but Seek Outside packs are pretty unique. I'm not sure what would be similar - wrap around hipbelt, vertically rigid frame with the right kind of flexibility. None of the packs with hipbelts that come out like wings from the side of the lumbar pad (Kifaru, Stone Glacier, HPG) are as comfortable for me.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by midwesterner

That sucks to hear. There are plenty of good shelter options IMO, but Seek Outside packs are pretty unique. I'm not sure what would be similar - wrap around hipbelt, vertically rigid frame with the right kind of flexibility. None of the packs with hipbelts that come out like wings from the side of the lumbar pad (Kifaru, Stone Glacier, HPG) are as comfortable for me.
I agree. It’s pretty disappointing. I was a pretty big SO fan and proponent, but my enthusiasm has subsided after dealing with these warranty issues.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Garandimal
Use a MilSurp MOLLE II Assault Pack:

[Linked Image from media.mwstatic.com]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

... $35 like new.

Heavy Cordura Nylon, tough as nails.

They come with about two pounds of jump straps, but you can cut those out.

Also has the high density foam and plastic sheet back protector.

GR

DWR'd pack material facing the back.

Added layer of rectangular concealment mesh 10 inches wide, seamed and folded in half. The top doubled mesh is folded 2 or 3", partly inserted into the back sleeve and velcro'd inside.

Velcro lower corners on pack material facing your back/kidney.

Sewed sleeve through both layers of mesh 4 inches from bottom (at fold) to accept 4" x12" x 1/4" piece of foam.

More comfortable for heavier loads. Mesh is not directly in contact with the pack. More velcro contact points can give you added lift and better ventilation as well as evaporation.

A small covered foam pad attached to the waist band and to the thin shoulder straps looks feasible for heavy loads.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Crafted the shoulder strap pad wrap around. Like a BP cuff. Adds ~10lb comfortable carry weight.

Added fanny pack, med pack and mag bandolier.

You can get a lot of stuff into this pack if you Ranger roll any clothing.

Removing the two white webbing pieces reduces weight just over 4 oz.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

74 members (10gaugemag, Akhutr, Anaconda, BallisticBRYAN, 14 invisible), 1,572 guests, and 837 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,207
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.