Hop To
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 10Glocks
Paul Washer
the later R C Sproul
John McArthur
Phil Johnson (probably who I listen to most)
recordings of the late Dr Martyn Lloyd Jones
Steve Lawson
Voddie Bacham

among a few others are good, scripturally sound preachers.

These are all very good bible teachers, among those we listen to the most. Costi Hinn (nephew of Benny) is another worthy listen and has a very good testimony of what God took him out of.

These men actually TEACH the bible, not just tell inspirational stories based on the "Thought of the Day" offered with a side order of signs and wonders by most charismatic preachers.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Haven't listened to Costi Hinn's preaching except that I've heard him interviewed many times after he came out against his uncle, Benny Hinn's, teachings. Costi is pretty impressive. He used to be part of the Benny troupe and traveled with him around the world to the faith healing meetings.

A few years ago, a most excellent documentary was produced that explained the word-faith and prosperity gospel. If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend finding it and watching it.

Name-it-and-claim-it. Phfffft. The truth of the gospel can be found in this sermon by Dr. Martyn Lloyd Jones. In my opinion, the best sermon ever recorded. Jones explains perfectly what the gospel means. Best hour ever spent if one is interested in at least trying to understand the Christian faith, and a great reminder and inspiration for those that are already in the faith. And very convicting of those Christians, like myself, who fail daily.

"'Follow me!,' He says. But where is he going? I'll tell you where he's going. He will lead you to persecution."

Indeed He will. I've always wanted to ask Joel Osteen if these Christians just failed to "name and claim [their] best day." Wonder how many Joel-fans, or how many self-identifying Christians, would remain loyal on this beach.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
"Be faithful until death and I will give you the crown of life" (Revelation 2:10)

Last edited by 10Glocks; 06/08/22.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I heard a very interesting interpretation the other day of the parable of the mustard seed. Its in all the "synoptic" gospels. Here it is from Matthew....

1 He told them another parable: “The kingdom of heaven is like a mustard seed, which a man took and planted in his field. 32 Though it is the smallest of all seeds, yet when it grows, it is the largest of garden plants and becomes a tree, so that the birds come and perch in its branches.”

I always took that to mean that the message that Jesus started (the mustard seed) which became the "church" would start off small and grow larger. Which it obviously has. Never paid much attention to the last part about the birds.

What I read said that the birds represent devils. The guy came to this conclusion based on the parable of the sower where the birds which came along and ate up the seeds....representing Satan/devils stealing the word from people who heard it but could not understand it. He used it as a template saying birds represented devils, yeast represented sin, etc.

Anyway, according to this guy's take, the bottom line is that the mustard seed parable means that the church would eventually grow large and be infested with devils. It startled me at first but I find it damn hard to argue with.

Last edited by RJY66; 06/08/22.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by antlers
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Originally Posted by antlers
There were disagreements among His Apostle’s themselves.

They didn’t separate and distance themselves from each other because of it.
They worked it out and came to agreement.
Or maybe they just agreed to disagree. Makes sense to me that in addition to Essential Beliefs we have liberty in Non-Essential Beliefs. It’s certainly possible to strongly affirm the clear teaching in scripture while allowing believers the personal freedom to have varying interpretations on theological issues that are not clearly presented in scripture.
That's about the difference between Latin rite and Antiochian rite.

Politics is War by Other Means
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Adams
I like listening to Joel Osteen when behind the wheel. He gives uplifting talks. I have Sirius XM and Joel Osteen is the only channel I listen to as I have MP3 songs on memory sticks when I want to listen to music. I'm sick of dealing with Sirius and will not buy from them anymore.

I tried researching where I can copy MP3 Joel Osteen talks. Can't seem to find anything that is free. I would like to copy them to a memory stick. The guy is worth $100,000,000. You'd think one would be able to do this for free.

Thanks,
Adams

Osteen makes my skin crawl as it always does when I am confronted with evil. You cannot simultaneously worship God and Mammon. The centerpiece of Osteen's ministry is mammon and the other rewards of this world. God and rewards in Heaven are secondary. Remember what the Ten Commandments says about other gods.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Great stuff 10Glocks. I intend to watch that sermon, so thanks in advance for posting. There are many problems with the prosperity gospel as some have mentioned. One big problem is that it takes grace out of the equation, which is false teaching.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by slumlord
Lots of small to medium size churches are using gimmicks to get people to visit.

We do a Wild Game supper, A blue grass gospel fish fry, senior luncheon, veterans dinner. All community wide, dont have to be a member, no admission or cover. Free food, door prizes.

This week is VBS. For you Out West fuggs that never stepped foot in a walmart OR a church…it’s a children’s week long outreach.

We also do a Homecoming super pot luck blow out, church supplies BBQ. Cooked over coals, non of that gas fired underneath chit.

Fall Fun is Halloween alternative. Cake and pie Walk, games, bon fire, 10 mile community hay ride.

New Years lock in

We have basketball leagues, Upwards

Sister church 10 miles up the highway, same Association has a big car show and they also do host a Food Bank outreach with turkeys and trimming boxes

Big time community events in our little hayseed Podunk unincorporated Tennessee Shîthole

That is nice to hear . We do some simialr things. We have free burger and hot dogs every Friday night and the Highschool kids come over from across the street during half time. Ou small church gives money in the form of Walmart . We even have a christmas tree in December with gift cards. You can take one if you are hurting. And how could I ever forget, we have Soup Sunday !! Those old ladies sure can bake a cake and make soup and deserts.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 10Glocks

"'Follow me!,' He says. But where is he going? I'll tell you where he's going. He will lead you to persecution."

Excellent message. Thanks.

Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (1_deuce, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 240NMC, 69 invisible), 2,347 guests, and 1,208 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,655
Posts18,455,579
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.