Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JeffA
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Pedal kayaks are a great way to get out on the water. They are so much more efficient than a paddle yak,

No, you're still really, really wrong on that, you're peddling poor information.

They are by FAR not more efficient, they are considerably more expensive, and weigh a lot more than your adverage paddle style kayak.
Weight is EVERYTHING when you're trying to manually move a small boat through the water under human power.

We've put this to the test, in windy conditions a pedal style kayak will be blowing out to sea while a paddle style kayak will bring you safely to shore.
If you ever find yourself battling a tide or current along with wind, you're really screwed.

If a guy suffers arm, shoulder, back or any other upper body limitations and chooses a pedal style kayak for that reason he'd better plan on trailering it to a boat ramp for putting in and taking out because he's never going to be able to hustle one of the heavy sob's around with the limitations that prompted him to buy such a beast.

You like to pedal your bike so naturally you'd prefer to pedal your boat. Sell them for what they are but more efficient they will never be.

GB1

I
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I
I've used the hobbies and the old Town I think old Town is definitely the way to go.[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

You've got to hand it to a blind prostitute
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Irving_D
I've used the hobbies and the old Town I think old Town is definitely the way to go.[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

That is badass!

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Pedal kayaks are a great way to get out on the water. They are so much more efficient than a paddle yak, and the hands free fishing is fantastic. For someone with a bum shoulder, they are certainly a relief! I have two. A Hobie Compass and a Native Slayer Propel 10. The Propel 10 is the lightest pedal drive on the market, coming in under 60 pounds sans pedal drive. I find myself using it more often than the Hobie. The Hobie is a much better big water boat though.

Looking good. I wish I had that and you had a feather, Paul. wink

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Kayaks hurt my old back and I have a 22' boat that runs in 4" of water.

All of the serious kayak guys around here (Texas Gulf Coast) have peddlers.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
IC B2

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J

Dinner

I Dindo Nuffin
I
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I

That is badass!
Thanks I caught the two of these in Panama after my accident, not bad for 7 fingers and no assistance. And they were released to fight another day

You've got to hand it to a blind prostitute
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by ltppowell

Been doing any good on the specks?

I Dindo Nuffin
MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Never tried the kayak but I know some guys that use them and like them, especially the peddle style. I still fish out of a float tube since I like the ability to put in anywhere and I can air it down and carry it easily in the back seat of my F250. I can literally be fishing anywhere in 5 minutes.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ltppowell

I think you mean the serious *fishing* kayak guys.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by krp

I have a Riot mako 12, it weighs about 75lbs, not to bad, I can cruise close to 3 mph easily and really push it to 3.5ish, on big water I can make a 5 mile run in about 2 hours leisurely. It has reverse so I can fish and maneuver, I can stand up and fish if I want.

I thought they went out of business but either they revamped or were bought out and reopened. The newer models are a bit more expensive, 1600.

Kent

Kent, Riot is part of Kayak Distribution which is the parent of several brands which includes Boreal Design

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
They seem to be pretty fast when needed.

This was filmed just a couple of miles from where I am sitting tonight.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I don't know squat about kayaks but a bunch of years ago before I got remarried, I was convinced by this little hottie that I was banging to go "cabrewing." Pack a bunch of sandwiches for snacks and mostly beer. Sounded like a good time until we got there and I realized the route was 11 miles and the river had absolutely no flow to it. Naturally she didn't row even the slightest bit but I remember daydreaming about how I'd give my left testicle for that canoe to turn into a pedal boat. I drunk enough beer that I should have been toasted but I burned it out via sweat the whole time and looked like a lobster when I got home. I like the pedal idea.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The outback is the biggest model that I would get. It is 80# ish.
I got the 2018 model,it is lighter then the newest model outback . If you are freshwater /bay fishing it is great. If however you are beach/ surf launching it is too big and slow. They handle big seas very well. And are comfortable. If you can, try one out.

It doesn't matter who gets more votes, It matters who counts the votes.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Try out pedal and paddle yaks if you possibly can before you buy. I’ve fished from both. For warm calm water I like a sit on top and would consider pedal. Cold PNW, sit inside for me. Weight is a HUGE factor for me since I cartop and don’t want to mess with a trailer. If I trailer I’ll go to a motor boat.

I have two sit inside kayaks (SINKs) and love them, but my use is likely different from yours: BIG cold northern river with swift current, often in rain. Have done some salt water fishing for salmon and kelp fish in BC and WA State.

I fished a Hobie pedal kayak in an East Coast salt water bay for stripers and blues. Excellent boat for that use, mild currents, inside water with no big waves, and hands free for fishing. Downsides to the Hobie pedal boat: WEIGHT for solo car topping, complexity of the pedal mechanism (which went wonky and my partner had to come fix for me) and depth of draft in shallow water inshore.

I knew I would be solo cartopping, sometimes on rough logging roads, so set my upper weight limit of 40 lbs. for my yak. One of my boats weighs 41 and the other about 30. (I liked it enough to fudge one pound.) Both are 13’ 3.”

In my cold rivers and PNW salt water I prefer the warmth and spray skirt of a sit inside, the instant steering and control I have with a paddle, and the slightly more stable and lower wind profile that sitting below the waterline creates.

Problem is, kayaking is addictive. I bought mine as a gift to myself after recovering from two years of surgeries, misery and blindness. Most fun toy I ever bought. Enjoy!

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
We fish in mostly shallow water. I have a paddle yak where as my buddy has a peddle. Like most equipment peddle drives are not created equally. He can kick my butt into the wind. But I am a larger man than him. He likes his but he have to pull the drive up in real shallow areas.
As far as weight his yak doesnt seem any heavier than mine as he doesn't put the drive into the yak until he is in the water. I can see the advantage of a good peddle drive with reverse for fishing. Especially when hooked up to a big snook in the mangroves. Being about to back off and give yourself some room is key. Open water or drifting flats I don't see any big advantage. I might try one on my next yak. If there is one.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
PS. When I started I transported my yak on the roof of my Ford Expedition. Big yak . A Ocean Big Game 2. About 12’7” long rigged out at 95 lbs. A pick up truck is the way to go for me. Trailers are great but around here it can be hard to find parking for them at the landings. Guys are complaining all the time. Theres not aways a place to hose saltwater off so your dripping saltwater down on your vehicle if you mount on top. That bothers some people. I have a Silverado crew cab short bed and I strap it in there on top of moving blankets with the tailgate down. I hook a flashing bike light on the back. I got a dolly in case I have to unload and walk it to the landing. Im looking at a new dolly now as I want one that the yak sits on and is strapped down rather than through the scupper holes.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have been intrigued with the fishing yaks for several years , have not tried one yet! Several months ago I was given a promotion (still crap pay)and am now building composite canoes for a new start up in the region. Still perfecting my tradecraft( I knew nothing when I started). The lightest boat we build is 16' single, 32 lbs. I would do a few things different if I build one for myself, but have yet to get one in the water. The bosses get to do all the testing, but I plan to rectify that!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 1OntarioJim, 1_deuce, 007FJ, 52 invisible), 2,061 guests, and 1,159 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,069
Posts18,463,613
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.