Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Since I was a kid hunting in AK, all I've used is cheap external frame packs. The last was a Kelty that coat less than $200 and I packed out half a cow elk, a goat, and deer with it. Are "hunting packs" worth the money? What does a kuiu or other pack do that makes it worth double the price of a nice kelty pack? Appreciate any thoughts.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

GB1

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I carried a kelty red cloud for quite a few years and it served it’s purpose. I never packed an animal with it but I carried an older style trophyline tree saddle gear and heavier climbing sticks on it and whatever spare clothes/food I’d need for the day in deeper public mountains around home which can get some weight to it. I eventually bought an exo k2 with a 5500 bag and have not regretted the purchase. Shoulder straps are better padded, the waist belt is more padded and holds the pack up way better than the lesser belt on the kelty. Straps that can be used to hold whatever on the pack are built better as well, I broke a couple of the clips on the kelty and so far the exo has been flawless in 4 seasons of carrying it. And that’s putting an Xop hang on stand in the load shelf and strapping climbing sticks to the back of the bag. And I like the load shelf for hauling meat since you don’t have to make room in the main bag and get clothes or whatever else bloody in it since you’re keeping the meat on the shelf. Some other opinions may vary and it’s a good bit of money to step up into a good pack like that, but they have warranty with them and they’re built so much better and purposeful in my opinion. Maybe some of these western guys will chime in as for I’ve not lived out of mine for a few days camping in the mountain. It just gets used for deep mountain whitetail hunting(for now but hope to go west with it someday)

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
When I was younger we used WWII pack frames and I can tell you those really sucked! laugh

There are plenty of folks still rocking old framed packs and if they work for a guy, I say bully. But it's definitely worth trying out one of the newer designs from Kifaru, Stone Glacier, Seek Outside, Exo, etc.

One of things I think you would notice is that tend to be a lot more stable when going over rough terrain, blowdown, etc. That's a benefit when hunting, it's really a benefit when you have 80+ lbs on your back.

The newer packs also allow a lot more fitting options- just watch one of the many fitment videos from the above companies- you can really fine tune a pack for you and beyond that, even fine tune it for the load you're carrying.

They usually have several options for bags too and most allow a change up of bags- low volume, high volume, no volume- just the frame.

Most of those companies will let you purchase a pack, load up with weight and try it- if it doesn't work, send it back (not covered with pitch and blood however :D)

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
It all depends what you plan on doing with it. If you’re day hunting and need a pack to get an animal back to your truck, or if you’re on a multi day backpack hunting trip, the demands on the pack are different. When I first started I used a Camp Trails external frame to pack animals back to my truck and it worked great. But once I started to do multi day mountain backpack trips it quickly became clear that I needed better. The pack has to be able to handle medium to heavy loads for long periods without breaking and without destroying your body. It needs volume, durability, stability with load, and comfort(comfort is subjective).

I went from the Camp Trails to a Kifaru LongHunter Guide and it was a big step up in all categories. I eventually went to a Mchale custom mountaineering pack and feel like I’ve reached the pinnacle in all those categories.

I’ve watched people around me go through the same process with Camptrails, Barney’s, Kuiu, Kifaru, Mystery Ranch, etc before they landed on the Mchale. I can tell you that everyone I know that landed on a Mchale custom after I did, recognizes the step up in value over all the previous packs they used.

I’m not saying a Mchale is the answer, just using it as an example that the value of a pack depends on what it’s being used for.

Last edited by mod7rem; 06/11/22.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
J
My thoughts are use what works for you. No reason to chase fads or the next best thing. If you like your frame pack, use it.

I use a mystery ranch guide light frame with various bags. Works for me.

P.s. carrying over 90lbs in any pack is going to suck...no way around it.

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
ive used one of those old Kelty metal framped packs to pack out a deer. I much prefer my mystery ranch

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
No reason to switch from a quality external if you’re happy with it. It’s basically the old external vs internal frame debate - well-fitted internals carry the load with much greater stability but externals might have more ability with truly massive loads. That being said, there are a lot of guys who swear their Kifarus, Stone Glaciers, etc, are more comfortable than even a high end external frame like Barney’s.

I will say that I think a $150 Kelty Cache Hauler is gonna haul more comfortably than any new internal frame pack in its price range (used high end mountaineering packs like the Arc Teryx Bora could be an exception). To get a hunting-worthy internal you’ve gotta spend.

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
I am really enjoying my Eberlestock f2 mainframe. I really like the modularity, ruggedness and comfort. The packs that match up to the frame are also very simple, yet useable and effective. There are several compatible packs that they sell that can give you endless options. The pack is very comfortable and can carry a lot of weight.

I tried a friends Kuiu 7800(?) and vastly preferred my Eberlestock.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great looking McHale packs! Wouldn't mind having a couple of their packs.

At ~$ 900 am surprised the Show'nTell Stick hasn't been bragging about them.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
My main pack is a Stone Glacier 5900, there are other great packs out there , some from hunting company/some not. I've packed both deer and elk out quite a ways with it and a glad I spent the money on a pack that fit's me well and has a load shelf.
If you can't spring for a SG, Mystery Ranch packs are often on sale at pretty good prices or just watch for a good used one.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The first time I hunted Mountain Goats in the Chugach Mountains my guide used a Alps Outdoor Z Commander Freighter and bag and I saw first hand it's utility. The second time I hunted with the outfit I made sure I had one. Not only have I packed out big game, but things like chainsaws, Jerry gas cans, boat motors, cast iron box stove and saddle and gear from a injured horse.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Everyone has their preferences.
I prefer the better externals and freighters.
I rarely find myself scrambling off trail very far though.
There's the tendency with some to squeek at the joints. This can usually be silenced with the appropriate lube .
There's so many good packs these days, however I've never been of the opinion that someone needs to spend $600 to have a comfortable quality pack. I'm old school, but like some of the latest design features.
You can narrow down your needs by game/weight, terrain, necessary features.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mod7rem

I’ve watched people around me go through the same process with Camptrails, Barney’s, Kuiu, Kifaru, Mystery Ranch, etc before they landed on the Mchale. I can tell you that everyone I know that landed on a Mchale custom after I did, recognizes the step up in value over all the previous packs they used.

I’m not saying a Mchale is the answer, just using it as an example that the value of a pack depends on what it’s being used for.
Dan McHale has come up with some novel designs that look like they should work very well. I've not bought one, but have talked with Dan. I looks like his bypass system is remarkable for an internal. Everyone I've read rave about the comfort of the hip belt. What did he do that sets his design above others in comfort?

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper

Dan McHale has come up with some novel designs that look like they should work very well. I've not bought one, but have talked with Dan. I looks like his bypass system is remarkable for an internal. Everyone I've read rave about the comfort of the hip belt. What did he do that sets his design above others in comfort?

The Mchale pack I have is a Critical Mass ll. The waist belt and bypass harness are probably the features that set it apart the most. It uses a wide, one piece belt that is not overly thick, and it has two waist straps with buckles instead of just one. It wraps completely around the hips independent of the pack bag. The result is you can snug the belt evenly around your hips as an inverted cone so you get weight distributed all around the hips without having to sinch it up overly tight.
The bypass system also has elevator straps that are attached high on the pack above the shoulders. With this set up you can distribute weight compressed between your upper back and upper chest, without having much/any weight in the tops of the shoulders. The bypass feature allows your harness to move freely with your body as you change posture (uphill, downhill) without changing that weight distribution in the upper body. Maximum comfort with heavy loads for long periods of time.

With other packs using a single buckle with a lumbar pad and a hip belt on each side, the weight gets really concentrated on the points of the hip because the lumbar pad is sliding down, especially for people like me that are slim and without much of an ass to support the lumbar pad. This results in overly tightening the waist belt to try and keep the weight on the hips and give relief to the shoulders. So with heavy loads the front of the hips take a beating and the lumbar area gets rubbed.
With no bypass system in the harness, every time you change posture it changes the weight distribution in the shoulders so you have to readjust shoulder straps and/or elevator straps.

The Mchale’s are custom built so you can do almost anything you want with the bag features and lots of choices for materials.

My pack is made of Full Dyneema fabric (not dyneema grid) so it’s incredibly durable. I bought it in 2011 and every year it gets used on a 2 week mountain sheep hunt and also use it on every other hunt I do, so also a mix of caribou trips, goat trips, Wyoming pronghorn every couple years, yearly deer hunts, etc. So it has seen a lot of rock and a lot of heavy loads of gear and meat. I’ve never had a strap or a buckle break or a tear or pulled stitches. I think it’s going to out last me. It’s the only piece of gear I own that I never even consider changing.

Not worth the money for everyone but for me I already feel like it’s more than paid for itself.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mod7rem,

That's great that you have been able to spend those years using such an exceptionally good custom pack.
That Dyneema is the best of the best. I tested a piece by folding with creases and crumpling and stuffing it into a pocket every day. Wash days for over a year, I'd throw it in with the regular laundry, jeans and all and really abused it. Guess what? It only lost a few threads on the raw cut edges. I didn't hem it. It faded, but still strong and water resistant. I can't tear it with my bear hands and I doubt it would leak other than the seams. I forgot which denier, but it's what would be used for packs.
I like the way Dan dyes it. The earth tones remind me of distressed leather, more of an organic look to it. The brighter colors came out very attractive too. What color did you go with?

Thank you for the detailed description. Over the years I've read everything that I could find. Your last post is the best description I've ever read about McHale's designs. What you said about the differences between his belt and the typical designs of others makes sense now.

Last edited by Happy_Camper; 06/18/22.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Mod7rem,

That's great that you have been able to spend those years using such an exceptionally good custom pack.
That Dyneema is the best of the best. I tested a piece by folding with creases and crumpling and stuffing it into a pocket every day. Wash days for over a year, I'd throw it in with the regular laundry, jeans and all and really abused it. Guess what? It only lost a few threads on the raw cut edges. I didn't hem it. It faded, but still strong and water resistant. I can't tear it with my bear hands and I doubt it would leak other than the seams. I forgot which denier, but it's what would be used for packs.
I like the way Dan dyes it. The earth tones remind me of distressed leather, more of an organic look to it. The brighter colors came out very attractive too. What color did you go with?

Thank you for the detailed description. Over the years I've read everything that I could find. Your last post is the best description I've ever read about McHale's designs. What you said about the differences between his belt and the typical designs of others makes sense now.

Yes I agree the dying is nice. It’s more subtle and not a deep, solid color. Mine is green with brown webbing. It’s definitely faded but the durability is impressive. I’m sure I’ll give up packing before it wears out.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That's my favorite color combo too.
I just went to check out the website and it looks like he took down most of the pictures. He had one just like that, but I can't find it now.
This is the closest that I can find.

http://www.mchalepacks.com/images/Victor%20REAR_2035%207x.jpg

Does the inside of the belt have any special material to make it grip better?

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I just went to check out the website and it looks like he took down most of the pictures. He had one just like that, but I can't find it now.

Ya the outside of my waist belt is Dyneema fabric and the inside is a softer black material. I remember Dan telling me that the Dyneema fabric is too slippery for the inside of the waist belt. My shoulder straps are Dyneema all the way around.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Ya the outside of my waist belt is Dyneema fabric and the inside is a softer black material. I remember Dan telling me that the Dyneema fabric is too slippery for the inside of the waist belt. My shoulder straps are Dyneema all the way around.
That makes sense.
My pack belts don't have as much to hold onto as they did 15 years ago. I think I'm going to sew some coated spacer mesh on the insides of them and test them out.
From your description, that independent cone shaped belt structure is probably the main thing that most of us would benefit from who are over 50.

Last edited by Happy_Camper; 06/18/22.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

549 members (1_deuce, 1OntarioJim, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 1234, 62 invisible), 2,327 guests, and 1,244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,659
Posts18,455,662
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.