Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
All my days I was a Govt man then I traded for my Fusion cco and I see the appeal.

Bangflop! another skinning job due to .260 and proper shot placement.
GB1

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I carry and use both.

The Lightweight Commander is hard to beat for comfortable all day carry and the full size steel framed guns are preferable for shooting.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Teal
I've always had and carried the full size tho I admit to really wanting a commander as my next 1911.

I don't think I'd go shorter than that tho.
Same here. Been there, done that. The really chopped down 1911s tend to need very frequent spring changes, as timing becomes more of an issue the more they are cut down.

The exception would be those 1911 style handguns that are not merely chopped down, but are actually shrunken down versions of the 1911, like the Springfield Armory EMP 9mm. They actually took the 1911 design back to the drawing board and made it to smaller proportions all around to match the smaller 9mm cartridge it's chambered for (The EMP is too small in overall proportions to even be offered in .45 ACP). That's one 1911 style gun that I believe doesn't share the timing sensitivity with the chopped down 1911s. But that's really a topic for a different thread, since it's technically not a 1911, but a 1911 style handgun, built from the ground up around the 9mm cartridge.

MOGC Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by hikerbum
Commander is good for me.

Seriously nice...

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
MOGC Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
I carry and use both.

The Lightweight Commander is hard to beat for comfortable all day carry and the full size steel framed guns are preferable for shooting.

That Commander with the S&W sights is about perfect!

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
IC B2

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I love full size 1911's, DW 10MM and Bear 45 ACP, mighty fine feeling pieces, but man oh man, only a booby feels better in hand than my Fusion Arms custom all steel bob-tail Commander 45 ACP, i cant explain it, you just have top grip and aim it, really crazy how it points.

Trump Won!
I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
First purchase was a Kimber SS Target five inch w/ barrels in 9mm, 38 Super, and 10 mm. I added a FO front sight.

I liked it so much that I then bought a Kimber Pro Carry LW commander size in 9mm. Then had a Fusion barrel in Super fitted.

I finally purchased the Kimber Micro 9.

They are all three fine guns. I run them in various configurations. The LW frame right now is fitted with a 5 inch 22lr slide. The original SS five inch is fitted with the commander slide and 38 Super barrel.

The micro 9? It shoots, and it fits in a pocket. I wish I had bouvht the baby SA instead.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Have owned all three barrel lengths in a 1911, in .45 ACP

A few years ago, I bought my all time favorite 1911.

A Springfield Armory EMP 9MM, in the 4" barreled version.

It's like a scaled down Commander.

Virgil B.

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
When I first got my Concealed Carry permit, I carried a full-size 1911 IWB. I carry my wallet in my right rear pocket and when I would sit down, the pistol would want to "stand up".

I bought a Kimber Pro Carry. The 1" shorter barrel cured the "stand up" issue. The lighter weight was very nice. And that pistol and I shoot well together. Never a hiccup.

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Wiley Clap Commander or Officer model. I bought both a couple of years ago. 😁

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dla
When I first got my Concealed Carry permit, I carried a full-size 1911 IWB. I carry my wallet in my right rear pocket and when I would sit down, the pistol would want to "stand up".

I bought a Kimber Pro Carry. The 1" shorter barrel cured the "stand up" issue. The lighter weight was very nice. And that pistol and I shoot well together. Never a hiccup.
I guess I have the 4 th version. A CCO model. Commander length barrel with short grip. Magazine holds one less than the commander. Mine is the Colt Gunsite model.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Only own a 5".

Been watching for an alloy Commander, pretty much gotta be 4 1/4".
Want a bushing setup. Afectation.

Never understood why lightweight 5" guns are so rare.

Springfield Ronin 4.25" Commanders are pretty easy to find right now, and they have ramped barrels, if that's important to you. I bought a .45 on May 1st, and it shoots a LOT softer than the Colt LWCs I've owned in the past. I liked it so much I bought a 9mm Commander to go with it. Some folks don't like the two-tone look, but that doesn't bother me. Kimber has been making LWT Gov't guns for a few years now, and I think Colt has done a run or two, as well. The Kimbers come up on rkguns.com website fairly often, but with supply issues, you have to check their site pretty often and regularly.
I really like the little Ronins, but I've also got five 5" guns that are plenty good enough.
Prices are decent on the Ronins, I paid less than $730 ea. for both of mine. Both of mine shoot about 3" high at 50 ft, but the front sight is dovetailed, so it wouldn't be tough to replace them whenever I get around to it.

Thanks, funding is..

No, being a tightass is the issue.
Can't imagine a possibility not covered by a gun already owned.
So now I gotta find bargains on stuff I "might" need.

That's how I got the Range Officer.
A guy posted a 45 Colt Blackhawk on a local classifieds, needed to
fix his truck and was broke. So he was selling at a firehouse sale price.

Drove to the LGS to meet him, and damn if they didnt have an
"As new" RO in the case, at a great deal. When ask if they could do
better, I was informed it had been there awhile, they knocked some
money off and threw in a box of ammo.

Ended up with both😁😁!

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by huntsman22

Glad I got my Springer lightweight bi-tone, when I did. Don't carry it, or the EMP40 much, since getting a S&W PC bobtail Commander.
[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]
[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Always liked that S&W Bobtail Commander you carry. Never been able to find one to buy, though.

Hard to beat a Commander sized 1911 for carry.
Back when I shot IPSC competition, I ran both commander and full sized 1911’s. Always shot higher scores with the 5” full sized guns.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like them all.

Thinking about an Ed Brown.
Only 3 models are allowed in this Left Coast state.
Or, fixing up a Springfield or another company 1911.

Have a good weekend.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Anyone else like their Government model bone stock?

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by 10Glocks

I've got no problem with them at all. I carried a bone stock, 1960s made, Colt Government Model for a couple of years.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by hasbeen1945
I guess I have the 4 th version. A CCO model. Commander length barrel with short grip. Magazine holds one less than the commander. Mine is the Colt Gunsite model.
There’s a lot to be said for the CCO size option. Here’s a Frankenpistol CCO (meaning Colt Copy, Obviously) I put together using a stainless steel RIA compact frame, a Black Nitride treated Les Baer Comanche slide, and a stainless steel Ed Brown 4-1/4” match barrel:

It took a lot of valve grinding compound and pounding with a rubber mallet to get the slide moving freely on the frame. But, it seems to have turned out well enough.

This setup proved remarkably easy to shoot well. The VZ Slim Compact grip panels certainly improved handling characteristics, at least for me, as this group, shot two handed standing, demonstrates.

Every day’s an adventure.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
Only own a 5".

Been watching for an alloy Commander, pretty much gotta be 4 1/4".
Want a bushing setup. Afectation.

Springfield Ronin 4.25" Commanders are pretty easy to find right now, and they have ramped barrels, if that's important to you. I bought a .45 on May 1st, and it shoots a LOT softer than the Colt LWCs I've owned in the past. I liked it so much I bought a 9mm Commander to go with it. Some folks don't like the two-tone look, but that doesn't bother me. Kimber has been making LWT Gov't guns for a few years now, and I think Colt has done a run or two, as well. The Kimbers come up on rkguns.com website fairly often, but with supply issues, you have to check their site pretty often and regularly.
I really like the little Ronins, but I've also got five 5" guns that are plenty good enough.
Prices are decent on the Ronins, I paid less than $730 ea. for both of mine. Both of mine shoot about 3" high at 50 ft, but the front sight is dovetailed, so it wouldn't be tough to replace them whenever I get around to it.
I concur on the Ronin 4.25" Commander. I've carried a 5" steel gov't model for years and it didn't bother me, but the new Ronin is a lot lighter and doesn't pull on the belt near as much. Shoots great and has been reliable. I think I paid 650 for it and felt that was a smoking deal.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by 10Glocks

I have to switch triggers on mine, I shoot better with long triggers rather than the short ones on a stock pistol. I did that to my new .38 Super just this morning, in fact..............I can barely tolerate a stock GI Colt, though, being an old IPSC shooter, I am not a bit scared of working/tinkering with a 1911 to get it the way I want it. I've been doing that for forty years now, I ain't gonna quit making one "mine" to suit me better.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
The superior shooting characteristics of the all steel Commander or Government make it worth getting used to carrying the extra weight, which actually is a non-issue if you have a proper belt/holster combination. I experience zero discomfort carrying an all steel Commander (Ed Brown Kobra Carry) all day long, essentially every day (once in a rare while I will prefer something that prints less, which generally means my Sig P238). When I do switch, it actually feels odd to have such a light gun on, and I'm comforted by returning to the all steel Commander.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

663 members (007FJ, 163bc, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 1234, 59 invisible), 2,902 guests, and 1,275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,577
Posts18,454,007
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.