Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
F
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
F
I was at a Beef and Wine festival recently and there was a Texas Ranger there cooking Ribeye steaks on a chuckwagon grill of sorts to promote the beef industry. The Ribeye bites were delicious, but what really caught my eye was the blade he was using to slice them up.....kind of like a cross between a hickory handled butcher knife, a Chef knife, and a clip point Bowie!

It had flat grind with more of a straight edge than a chef knife, had a nice curve on the end like a butcher knife, and then a pronounced clip point with a sharp tip for detail work. About 8" long, 1.5" wide, and all I had to work with is a picture I took of it.

Sent the picture to my good friend Tim Olt and he's working his magic for me!!! I can't post pics here, but Tim has come up with a great copy of the design for me already!

Tim, by all means share the picture if you'd like.....

My thoughts are it will be a great Camp/Cook knife and general all around duty. However, I'm having him design a sheath for it to keep it handy. I was thinking about an original Bowie style with a stud and Frog, that way I could just shove it in a belt, but then I remember the in the belt style sheath that had just one slot in it that was used by Jeremiah Johnson in the movie and I think that may be better.....decisions, decisions! LOL grin

Thank Tim!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
BP-B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Keith
When the time gets here, you will have to be pretty specific for the sheath design,
as for now I am kinda lost. But there is still quite a bit of time.

This blade will be part of a summer/fall batch I am slowly working of putting together.
Not sure if/when next batch after that. Trying to use up most of the S35VN I have on hand.
Then, I don't know.......

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
with permission from buyer and maker...............

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Looks like a very practical design and with stag scales what's not to like about it ?

F
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
F
Thank you for posting the pic, GW!

I thought the design was practical as well. I can envision slicing away on a 2" Ribeye while boondocking in the Bighorn Mountains at 8,500' sometime here in the future! LOL grin

Or perhaps cutting up some Ribs that have been on the smoker for 4 hours.... or cutting out the backstraps of a perforated Porker!

There's a saying....."Life is too short to hunt with an ugly rifle." Well, to my notion, the same can be said for knives! LOL

Frog----OUT!

Last edited by frogman43; 06/14/22.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Making two of these for Frog and GWB and a couple other open ordeers will pretty much use up my left over .140" S35VN flat stock.

Probably be a batch of blades for heat treat later in summer. I still have some blades and blanks out of
the patterns listed in the S35VN thread.

Cut on.
Tim

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
looks pretty useful, and a big sharp knife is it's own reason for existing.

Sam......

F
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
F
Gents, need your help. I've been trying to explain to Tim what kind of sheath I'd prefer for this knife. If you've seen Jeremiah Johnson, then you may recall his big knife had just one belt slot and was worn under the belt with it running through the one slot. If any of you have a picture of said design, please feel free to throw it up for Tim to look at. The fall back is a sheath with a stud that holds it at the belt line, but figure the one slot design to be more secure.

Thank you and have a wonderful day!

Frog----OUT!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Google images “mountain man belt knife sheath” and you get some ideas. Dixie gun works also carries what you’re looking for.
Too clunky to do images from my phone.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Frog
IF that pic you texted me is what you want, I think we are good to go.
Tim

Albert Einstein

IC B3

F
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
F
Tim, that one is a general idea . Basically it has the one belt slot and it carries under the belt.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Sounds like it's going to come out great. Looking forward to finished pics.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
F
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
F
Same here! LOL

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
783 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 160user, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 82 invisible), 3,170 guests, and 1,272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,708
Posts18,400,128
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.