Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Lee collet dies have simplified much of my reloading. No case cleaning or lubing. Plus, LCDs make very straight ammo. LCDs neck sizes so case stretch is reduced which reduces the frequency of the need to trim.

I like them so well, I have LCDs for every cartridge I reload for except two. Lee Precision does not offer LCDs for anything 9.3 mm and they have discontinued the collet die for .45-70 Govt. The cost in money and wait time for customs is beyond what I want to pay

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by carbon12
Lee collet dies have simplified much of my reloading. No case cleaning or lubing. Plus, LCDs make very straight ammo. LCDs neck sizes so case stretch is reduced which reduces the frequency of the need to trim.

I like them so well, I have LCDs for every cartridge I reload for except two. Lee Precision does not offer LCDs for anything 9.3 mm and they have discontinued the collet die for .45-70 Govt. The cost in money and wait time for customs is beyond what I want to pay

They also can be the source of neck tension issues.
I've had problems getting enough. Fixed it, but a newbie might
get exasperated with it.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
One other thing that might help the OP is to do things in small steps. Don't sit down and load 100 rounds.
You can deburr/chamfer small batches while watching TV. Resize brass in lots of 50 or so. I seldom load more rounds than I intend to shoot and since my competition days are behind me, most times that's only 20 to 50 rounds.
I have containers of prepped brass ready for loading so loading consists of priming, charging and seating. I can load what I typically need in way less than an hour.

Last edited by Blacktailer; 06/11/22.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Might also mention that some of the most "affordable" and simplest loading dies can produce the most accurate ammo.

Like many of the, uh, more "mature" handloaders here I started with a Lee Loader. Mine was in 7.62x54R Russian, because my only centerfire rifle at the time was a Mosin-Nagant, which shot very well with my handloads.

Some decades later I decided to try another LL in .22 Hornet, due to owning a very accurate Ruger No. 1B. After sorting some cases for consistent neck thickness, it averaged 5 shots in under half and inch at 100 yards. This is partly because Lee Loaders very much resemble the tools benchrest shooters regularly use.

Still have several Lee Loaders (including the .22 Hornet) for the .222 Remington (which can also be used for the .223 Remington), .30-06, .38 Special (which can also be used for the .357 Magnum), .45-70 and 3-1/2" 10-gauge. These are mostly for SHTF purposes, except the 10-gauge. Have a nice Spanish side-by-side, but don't hunt with it enough to justify a press. The LL produces ammo quickly enough for my purposes.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
I shot a box of factory winchester 30-30 ammo and reloaded with my Lee loading tool. These neck size so allegedly you need to use in same rifle. As it went they didn't chamber back into my Marlin without considerable effort, and not smooth at all. Think I'll go back to full length resizing. I am trying to shoot lighter loads and neck size for long brass life but it's not working out

On the flipside I did a box of 270win and crushed it. Incredible success, more accuracy than really what's needed and perfect function. I couldn't be more happy with the 270 but the 30-30 turned out like dog manure

Last edited by Theoldpinecricker; 06/11/22.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Been stuffing cases since I was 9 with my uncle who taught me to load. I’m 50 now. While I have evolved as a loader over the years, the real enjoyment for me is keeping in touch with my rifles during the off season. The precision, process & the ability to make up loads that I can’t buy in the store keeps me interested. Once August rolls around, it’s all about hunting - loading time has past.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by PintsofCraft
Been stuffing cases since I was 9 with my uncle who taught me to load. I’m 50 now. While I have evolved as a loader over the years, the real enjoyment for me is keeping in touch with my rifles during the off season. The precision, process & the ability to make up loads that I can’t buy in the store keeps me interested. Once August rolls around, it’s all about hunting - loading time has past.

That’s a solid point POC. I like to have my rifle work done by June-July so the rest of the year is spent just shooting the guns when I have the time versus sweating it out over the reloading bench trying to tune another load.

Semper Fi
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Might also mention that some of the most "affordable" and simplest loading dies can produce the most accurate ammo.

Absolutely. For example, people would be surprised to see what many real Benchrest competitors use for loading gear. wink

Good shootin' -Al

Forbidden Zoner
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Like many of the, uh, more "mature" handloaders here I started with a Lee Loader. Mine was in 7.62x54R Russian, because my only centerfire rifle at the time was a Mosin-Nagant, which shot very well with my handloads.

Some decades later I decided to try another LL in .22 Hornet, due to owning a very accurate Ruger No. 1B. After sorting some cases for consistent neck thickness, it averaged 5 shots in under half and inch at 100 yards. This is partly because Lee Loaders very much resemble the tools benchrest shooters regularly use.

Still have several Lee Loaders (including the .22 Hornet) for the .222 Remington (which can also be used for the .223 Remington), .30-06, .38 Special (which can also be used for the .357 Magnum), .45-70 and 3-1/2" 10-gauge. These are mostly for SHTF purposes, except the 10-gauge. Have a nice Spanish side-by-side, but don't hunt with it enough to justify a press. The LL produces ammo quickly enough for my purposes.

Wow! Testimony! Lee Loaders allowed me to roll a few in college when not at a friends who had a press and got me started. I used their trim tools as well for my 7 TCU back then.

Learned much since those days, and I have shot some VERY tight groups with basic 2-die sets from Redding and RCBS.....

How tight? Down to 1/4 and 1/2" 200 yd groups for 3-shot averages. Those groups challenged my skills, timing shots between heartbeats.....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RickBin
I started with a Rockchucker kit many years ago. Add components and dies, and it had everything you needed, sans maybe a dial caliper. I believe they are still sold?

The good thing with that kit, IMO, is that you had a good, basic gear as a starting point. From there, well ...

Over the years I’ve gone down the rabbit hole on various hand loading deals, as most of us have, and thankfully have come out again after having figured out what is worthwhile for the rifles and shooting I do, and what isn’t.

For example:

I don’t turn necks anymore.
I don’t weigh brass anymore.
I buy good brass, spotcheck for weight, and even though I probably don’t need to, on hunting ammo I recut primer pockets and deburr flashholes once, when brass is new, and then I don‘t clean primer pockets again.
I only weigh charges on hunting ammo, where say 50 rounds is going to last a few seasons (or much longer). Otherwise, thrown charges are just fine, for me.
I don’t sort bullets on a Juenke machine. I believe this does make a difference, but I don’t do it.

And on and on: runout, neck tension, annealing, brass sorting, bullet sorting ... you can choose a new deep-dive anytime you want and keep yourself engrossed, if you so desire, and many do. I don’t begrudge them. I enjoy reloading and understand the pull, and still play in various deep holes of my choosing.

But you can make good quality, eminently serviceable ammunition with the basics, like that contained in a Rockchucker kit.

You inherited a more “advanced” kit. Great. You might just find a lot of that stuff useful down the road. Your capacity to appreciate it may have changed.

But start at the start. As was posted above: clean and inspect cases, size and de-prime, prime, charge, seat bullets. Plenty of fun to be had in just getting those steps done correctly, and game will die just fine with nothing more complicated than that.

Put off diving into holes until later, if at all ...

And ENJOY.

YES!!

All American

All the time
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Reloading is really simple IMHO.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Craigster
You're over thinking it, it ain't rocket surgery unless you make it so. Anymore, I don't get a big thrill out of reloading, it's a means to and end.
I really like reloading. I started in 1976. I had to take some time off from it when the kids were small and needed lots of attention. I think I get better at it every day. Having the right tools makes the process faster and with a better finished product. I just reloaded some 35 Whelen for a friend. I had never done 35 Whelen before although I have done a $hit ton 30-06.

I still use a single stage reloader. I have a Lee turret press but it's just a slightly modified single stage. Most of my stuff is RCBS but Redding makes some good dies. I don't have a good spot to put my presses so I clamp them to my table saw. I still use my RCBS 5-10 balance beam scale I bought in the Army PX in 1975. My primary press is an RCBS JR I bought at the PX the same time I bought my scale. It's not rocket science but having the right tools makes everything go together faster and better. It's good mental therapy.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Some people reload to shoot
Some shoot to reload
Difficult? No way

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus

Absolutely. For example, people would be surprised to see what many real Benchrest competitors use for loading gear. wink

Good shootin' -Al

I agree that most people would be surprised at some of the BR equipment used. Seaters, for example. The Wilson seater - not the the micrometer model - is a great and inexpensive tool that works much the same as a Lee Loader. They are about $60 at Brownells. Used in conjunction with an arbor press, they are capable of producing straight cartridges for about $10 less than a Forster or other std seater. They are slower than a bench mounted seating die, but not everything needs to be cranked out in volume.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
To me reloading and shooting are like fly tying and fishing.

Some people really enjoy reloading, like fly tying. And like shooting, like fishing...so they go hand in hand. This is where I've always been.

Some people do it to save money over time to shoot more.

Some people do it for "place reason here", but the above two arguments are the most often used...

If you're not interested, then I predict that you'll probably just consider it work and try to jam through it for awhile until the box stores pricers become more favorable.

Another way to look at it...do you change your own oil? Or is it not worth your time? Kind of the same thing, those who enjoy using their tools tend to change their own regardless of the price...

YMMV

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I started with a Lee Loader , loading 308 Win when I was 14 . Would do it at the kitchen table, and mom would really get pissed when I set a primer off accidently!

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Another fly fishing comparison.

Reloading and fly fishing are the same, in that, they can both be as simple or as complicated as you care to make them. You can achieve very good results with just basic knowledge and minimal effort, or you can totally immerse yourself in all the most minute details to squeeze out performance to the nth degree.
Personally, I derive more pleasure and enjoyment from the former, and more stress and frustration from the latter.

Naturally, safety practices should be first and foremost.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by beretzs
It’s funny you mention it buddy. I have been hammering away since I was 13, 44 now.

I’m moving houses, my reloading gear is packed away and I have zero interest of rushing into a new reloading set up at the new place. My fix, I bought a plain Jane 7mm Rem Mag, I’ll mount a good scope in good mounts. I bought 3 different types of factory ammo I’ll try in the gun. I’ll pick the one that shoots best, zero at 250. Then I’ll order 100-200 rounds and just have fun shooting this summer without the worry of messing with brass prep, loading, dribbling powder, etc.

If I really get the need to load something I’ll go to my brothers and load something on his press but I don’t see it happening.

Sometimes there’s a little fun in just shooting and not worrying about a 1/4” or 50 FPS…. At least that is what I’m telling myself now.

That's where I am as well. If I can buy rifles in common calibers with abundant ammo, I do. Which has kept 308 as one of the main things I shoot because I can buy loaded match ammo for almost the same cost per round as loading it.

But if the OP wants to reduce frustration in reloading, what probably helped me the most at the rifle reloading bench was getting the tools to measure exactly what I was doing, before taking the ammo to the range. Namely: hornady gauge and modified cases to check bullet jump to the throat, a set of inserts (hornady or whomever) to measure shoulder setback with calipers, and a concentricity gauge to see if my practices were making roughly straight ammo or not. All of which lead me to Lee Collet Dies to the point that I've had them make me several custom ones in calibers they don't normally do.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus

Good shootin' -Al

I agree that most people would be surprised at some of the BR equipment used. Seaters, for example. The Wilson seater - not the the micrometer model - is a great and inexpensive tool that works much the same as a Lee Loader. They are about $60 at Brownells. Used in conjunction with an arbor press, they are capable of producing straight cartridges for about $10 less than a Forster or other std seater. They are slower than a bench mounted seating die, but not everything needs to be cranked out in volume.

Now now Steve don’t exaggerate. Wilson dies are great but when you say that it’s less than the cost of a normal seater you done stretched the truth some. You should have thrown in the cost of the Arbor press to even use them right. That Bald Eagle mini at the moment is just under 100 bucks from Grizzly or 115.00 at Midway or 125.00 bucks from Amazon. So the true cost is ~175.00-200.00 for that particular seater. All that stuff got sold in 2004 when the Bench gun got sold and I gave up short range BR.

Swifty
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
You can order different size mandrels from McMaster Carr for the lee collet die, control the bullet grip in very precise ways. The lee collet dies produce less run out than my Bushing dies. Lee can help to some degree on sizes of mandrels, not much.

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

89 members (Anaconda, 10gaugemag, 7mm_Loco, 35, Akhutr, 7x57Hunter, 8 invisible), 1,584 guests, and 739 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,563
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.