Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I’m 45. I’ve been up and down the center of this country but I’ve never seen an ocean.

GB1

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by hardway
I was reminded of my own naïveté today… Wife and I are in OKC visiting for a few days and I was chatting with a 50ish year old fella at the gas station…. He claimed he had never seen an ocean in his lifetime…. Crazy to hear living in Cali my whole life less than a couple hours from the pacific….. So let’s hear it…. Who has never seen the ocean?

Ps…. Apologies if Wabi has already asked this 🤣

Dont give him any ideas.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by slumlord
Originally Posted by Futura
I bet seeing the ocean for the first time as an adult is mind blowing.

Imagine it’s like Tarquin seeing his first black person in real life

Hahaha, winner, winner....

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Higginez
Originally Posted by slumlord
Originally Posted by Futura
I bet seeing the ocean for the first time as an adult is mind blowing.

Imagine it’s like Tarquin seeing his first black person in real life

Some day, I hope to see one too.

Hahaha, winner, winner, winner.....

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Certifiable
Ocean is coo…
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

You must have a good looking wife. wink

I Dindo Nuffin
IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by bubbajay
I’m 45. I’ve been up and down the center of this country but I’ve never seen an ocean.

Time for a road trip. Gas prices be damned. You'll get more money on payday, but time is running out for making memories.

prplbkrr = Purple Biker

Can't score goals if all you do is pass.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
My son and I were talking about this the other day, but I'm sure there's a ton of people in this country who have never seen the ocean. I'm sitting here right now looking at the Atlantic. Unfortunately it's pouring down rain or I'd be sitting on the beach looking at it.

Last edited by StoneCutter; 06/12/22.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't think I've ever been in awe of God's creation more than when we were in rough seas salmon fishing. The Rockies are a close second. The ocean is an amazing wonder. Just raw power in those waves.

"The Ballpark burgers were free, why not eat them?"
- Wabi-
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Years ago we took a girl (early 20's) to the Outer Banks. She'd never been out of the Adirondacks. She just couldn't believer it. For the week we were there, we had a hard time getting her off the beach for anything....she was completely blown away.

I have crossed the Pacific numerous time by air, never by ship. When I was in the Navy and afterwards spent a great deal of time on the South China Sea in small craft. I've spent a lot of time on the Atlantic beaches and Gulf of Mexico. I grew up on the Great Lakes/St Lawrence River system.

DannyL and Mart will appreciate this: A guy making a delivery by truck asked me directions one day in my home town. I told him how to get where he was going, then he asked, "What's that body of water?" (It was the St. Lawrence River.) After I told him, he asked, "What's that place on the other side?" (It's Canada, Southeastern Ontario."
I asked where he was from. "Gouverneur." (That's less than 25 miles away.)

Mathew 22: 37-39

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
I was sixty when I saw ocean the first time. New Port Oregon. We have been there three times now.

Mind Blown? No!

Enjoyable experience? yes. I prepared by getting Scopalomine from Dr, so nausea was not an issue.

Black bass (rock fish) fillets were as tasty as cold water small mouth bass. Ling cod and halibut were indistinguishable from the rock fish. Not much sport in dragging fish from the bottom on heavy tackle.

Dungeoness Crab? I can not find enough people to take that crap off my hands. After the first trip, I do not purchase the shell fish permit.

Roar of the surf keeps one awake all night for the entire trip. The beach stinks. The wife and I never enjoy strange beds. The salt has to be washed from every car when we get home.

Most of the store clerks smell of dope. The majority of people you speak to are still in love with Obama and think Hillary should have been made President for life after Obama.

Why did we go back second and third time? Family commitments.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
The ocean is why I put up with the politics here. I could never imagine a happy life that didn’t involve a coastline, breaking waves, or the feeling the swell. Being on the water brings me peace. It feeds my family and friends. I see it every day and its my favorite smell.

Once in a while, a whale will come up to take a look and I swear they see into your soul when you make eye contact. It’s humbling to say the least.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
I was sixty when I saw ocean the first time. New Port Oregon. We have been there three times now.

Mind Blown? No!

Enjoyable experience? yes. I prepared by getting Scopalomine from Dr, so nausea was not an issue.

Black bass (rock fish) fillets were as tasty as cold water small mouth bass. Ling cod and halibut were indistinguishable from the rock fish. Not much sport in dragging fish from the bottom on heavy tackle.

Dungeoness Crab? I can not find enough people to take that crap off my hands. After the first trip, I do not purchase the shell fish permit.

Roar of the surf keeps one awake all night for the entire trip. The beach stinks. The wife and I never enjoy strange beds. The salt has to be washed from every car when we get home.

Most of the store clerks smell of dope. The majority of people you speak to are still in love with Obama and think Hillary should have been made President for life after Obama.

Lol. You win the old curmudgeon award for today.

- Wabi-
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I was twenty by the time I first saw the Pacific. Slightly windy day and the waves were fairly good sized. At least I thought so at the time.
All I could do was stand there and stare at them rolling in to shore. Completely mesmerized by them until they had to drag me away.
Still can't explain the pull of moving water.

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by krp
Born in the desert but just a few hours from the Pacific or Baja, I'm as comfortable on the ocean as in the desert or mountains. Worked in Hawaii for the company here on a building project, the house they had for us workers was on the North shore, snorkeled the reefs every day after work to get away from the crew I worked with all day, slept on an army cot in the carport for the same reasons. Experienced some really cool chit out in those reefs. I've spent a lot of time in the Colorado rockies also, a bunch of time down in Mexico fishing fresh or salt water.

What I've never done is gone west of Texas and I was only in Texas once in '79 for company training, Sherman Texas and bumped up to Oklahoma one evening to a bar, as wherever I was at was dry.

Never say never but I doubt I'll ever go back east.

Often when I discover an 1000 year old indian ruin out in the desert, I look around at what their world was, where the water was, where the food sources where, what their whole life involved. Most were born and died within a few miles of that ruin, a few might have traveled out to hunt and even trade... but what you could see was their entire world.

Kent

That is a sentiment I share.

Remnants of Indian habitation are easy to find preserved in the deserts of Eastern Or and Central Id. I often stumble across natural shelters or apparent ambush points for game or enemies and imagine life there in a stone age culture.

A
AML Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I was a sophomore in college when I first saw the ocean.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

Mind Blown? No!

Are you related to Manlicker? If you can't have a good time in Newport, there's something wrong with you.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
I would just much prefer to be in a mountain meadow on a good horse.

Between a house on the beach in Newport with a hot tub, or a tent on a mountain ten miles from the nearest road at ten degrees F in thirteen inches of snow? I will take the tent. Even with my boots frozen solid in the mornings.

I would post the pics again, if resizing them was not such a time consuming PIA.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
The beach is a distinctive part of the Carolina culture. I can’t imagine not partaking in a few beach trips every year. We have three planned for this summer. My daughter (graduated senior) has four trips to the beach planned for this summer.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Have seen four of the oceans and a number of the seas - been in/on a few. Good stuff.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We'll be beach bumming it next week. My wife and kids love the beach. So we rent a house on the beach in Capitola each year. Cool little town. I love watching the beach hippie locals. Yes, they're all liberal pothead, but I can choose to laugh at them rather than get all worked up

- Wabi-
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

74 members (10gaugemag, 300_savage, 6MMWASP, 44automag, 5sdad, 10 invisible), 2,085 guests, and 751 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,174
Posts18,465,403
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.