Page 1 of 2 1 2
N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
For Crow eradication.

30 yard shots average to the tree line.

Scope friendly, budget isn't an issue but don't need to get crazy.

“Factio democratica delenda est"
BP-B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
A PCP of some flavor would be ideal if you're not an experienced spring gun shooter. My .25 cal Benamin Marauder is a killin' machine and would be my 1st choice in that scenario. In my youth a 5mm Sheridan pump up put a lot of rabbits and squirrels on the ground

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Beeman R9 in .22 cal. A crow hammer. Don't need to keep any extra stuff to pump it up etc. Just cock, put a pellet in and smack - good night crow.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
To be safe, 10 fpe at 30 yards.

But crows bein crows, you're gonna need ta shoot longer ranges, quickly.

Million ways ta get there.

Speed is money, how fast do ya wanna go?

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by centershot
Beeman R9 in .22 cal. A crow hammer. Don't need to keep any extra stuff to pump it up etc. Just cock, put a pellet in and smack - good night crow.
Or in .177. My R9 kills stuff really dead within 40-50 yards.

IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
For crows I don't think you'll get more than one shot off before the others bug out, that sounds like a break barrel rifle to me.

If I had nothing and was only buying one.... I think a gas ram 22 would be first on MY list.

I like a bit more speed and don't mind a bit more recoil but that means it'll be harder on scopes so more scope expense.

I really like .20 cal but there's a shrinking number of pellets so be aware and stock up if you get a 20.

Dan and a lot of other folks do well with good 177 pellets properly placed so that's another way to get it done!

The balancing act between velocity, recoil, momentum, trajectory, wind drift, shoot-ability and cost/value makes airgunning a unique challenge.

A PCP solves some of those things but needs a pump or compressor. Buy Once Cry Once?

It's great fun and if you don't cover all bases with one rifle... you could always get a second!! grin

Let us know what you decide, It might help others decide.

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Following this thread.

I want a scoped air rifle to practice with. I want something that is accurate and easy to use. I will mainly be shooting off the back deck. Noise is not a problem. I would not mind the ability to use it for squirrels but I think that adds more power requirements, probably a heavier rifle, and more expense.

“Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person”
-Fred Bear
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Crows have a great memory. You will kill one. Even their unborn will remember.

However they hate stuff owls.

When the tailgate drops the BS stops.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Pellet guns today cost a whole bunch more than they did back when I got my Sheridan Silver Streak. I tolerated the rabbits until the garden went in, but not anymore. Thinking that my old Sheridan was still operational, pumping it up told me that it wasn't. Reading up in the Rimfire section, I remember someone writing that the Aguila .22 Super Colibri 20 grain 590 fps bullets out of my .22 would be a very quiet alternative to a pellet gun. I bought a box of 50 for about $9.00 and sighted in an old Marlin bolt action at 15 yards. It goes through a 1" pine board at that distance, so it's not a toy. It should hit as hard or harder than my Sheridan and that got me crows and rabbits back in it's day. Just an fyi if you don't want to buy a pellet rifle.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by DanGilbertTX
Originally Posted by centershot
Or in .177. My R9 kills stuff really dead within 40-50 yards.

Or my R1/.20.

GR

IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
An R9 is the easy button.

I had a Diana 54, which was very fast, very loud, and also somewhat hold sensitive. Ended up giving it away.

The generic Benjamin pump rifles (esp if you put an aperture sight on them) are extremely accurate, fairly powerful at max pressure, and not really hold sensitive. But they take a while to get to max pressure.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Any type of compressed air rifle will be easier ta shoot accurately than a springer.

But a crow is a pretty big target.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Reba
Crows have a great memory. You will kill one. Even their unborn will remember.

However they hate stuff owls.

yep. an owl call and a decoy can bring in the smart ones for one try

N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
Thanks for the education fellas

“Factio democratica delenda est"
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
What are your thoughts on the HW90 vs the R9?

Any downside to the gas piston gun over the springer?

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
TX200 in 22 caliber

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I wanted much the same thing you are seeking. I looked a PCP rifles and decided I did not want all the baggage and expense that went with them. I wanted simple, easy, not too expensive, but reasonably accurate rifle for pest control. After looking at a lot of YOUTUBE videos, I decided to go with a Springer. I purchased a AirArms TX200, a Weihrauch 97K, and a Walther LGU Master Pro. At 35 yards, each of these will hit a quarter every shot with pellets that they like. After shooting hundreds of rounds through them, I sold the AirArms TX200, kept the Walther LGU as a back-up and I shoot the Weihrauch 97K a lot. Mine were all .22 caliber. I use Hawke AirMax scopes and have had no issues. There is a small learning curve to shooting the Springer guns consistently accurate, but you will soon get the hang of it. Your mileage may vary.

JC

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by kingston

The downsides I see are the warranty is 1 year on the HW90 and Lifetime on the R9.
Also, the HW90 is more expensive and the cocking effort is more but it's smooth.
Recoil is a bit faster on the gas ram guns so your scope needs to be able to deal with that.

I've got a Beeman Crow Magnum .25 that also has the Theoben gas ram and my brother has the same in .20, both bought used and zero issues from decades old rifles.
I also have a Diana 350 N-Tec gas ram 22, two+ years old and also zero issues.
The R9 can be rebuilt if it's needed and will remain a smooth shooting well mannered rifle.

I also have a TX200 in 22. Accurate, smooth, easy to shoot springer but one of the gas rams gets pulled out more often for hunting, go figure...
The gas rams tickle my brain I guess...Lots of shooters pick exactly opposite of me for legitimate reasons.

Chevy, Ford, Ram, BMW, Kawasaki

No I can't help... crazy

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by colodog
...I really like .20 cal but there's a shrinking number of pellets so be aware and stock up if you get a 20...

As my favorite Beeman pellets became hard to acquire for my R1/.20, ended up w/ the 13.73 gr. JSB Diabolo Exact .20 Cal.

[Linked Image from pyramydair.com]

Precise and hard-hitting, about all I shoot now.

Maybe 3K squirreled away.

They clock ~ 750 fps out of my R1 Carbine.

Also have as many 14.30 gr. Benjamin .20 Cal cylindricals, bought dirt cheap on liquidation.

Found the Benjamin's need a little swaging to shoot well in the R1.

GR

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by kingston

I honestly haven't used a piston rifle enough to give a good answer.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
656 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 12308300, 61 invisible), 3,141 guests, and 1,251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,742
Posts18,401,190
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.