Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
1911a1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
If you have a roku devise or TV you can watch all the episodes of Miami Vice. I'm starting on season 2 episode 13, the one with Ted Nugent. I have never seen the one with Glenn Fry so I'm looking forward to that one.

You have a suggestion for a favorite episode please chime in. I haven't watched these shoes since they were on prime time. I have forgotten most of them.

I mentioned this on the 'fire the other day. The price of Bren Tens are absolutely insane right now.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/935252811

Last edited by 1911a1; 06/12/22.

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
1911a1;
Good afternoon sir, I trust the day down in N. E. Texas has been a good one for you.

I'm old enough to remember reading about them in Guns & Ammo and then also reading about some of the issues there - like the lack of magazines, etc.

For those who aren't up to speed on this pistol, here's Ian from Forgotten Weapons doing his usual fine job.

Thanks for the memories of the show and the reading back when.

All the best.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
I remember watching Miami Vice when I was kid and thinking to myself, wow, police officers must make really good money to dress like Crocket and Tubbs and drive cars like that

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Not a fan as I don't think it holds up very well.
But if you want to see how to handle a pistol........

Jim Z. was a WORLD CLASS IPSC competitor. You do not get those gun skills from hollyweird.

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”

Patrick Henry
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I re watched some of them a few Months ago.... I liked the sound tracks better than the plots.

Please don't feed the trolls!
IC B2

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Bren Tens were already scarce when Crockett used one. Mag availability killed them.

If ya watch closely, mid season 2 or 3, He switched to a Smith 1006 or one of it's variants.

I liked the hell out of the show about 85, 86. Now they've been running reruns & as I try to watch them I can't believe they entertained me back in the day.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Don Johnson is 72 now. Hard to believe.

1911a1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Winchester21
Not a fan as I don't think it holds up very well.
But if you want to see how to handle a pistol........

Jim Z. was a WORLD CLASS IPSC competitor. You do not get those gun skills from hollyweird.

I remember something about a Richard Henie 1911 used in one episode I wonder if it was that one? May have been the episode though with Tommy Chong.

Last edited by 1911a1; 06/12/22.

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Crockett and Tubbs Meet Lorraine. That's my favorite

RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by granitestate1
Crockett and Tubbs Meet Lorraine. That's my favorite

Out where the buses don’t run I think is the episode. I have all 5 seasons on DVD and am watching Basesballs of death right now.

IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
you can order the complete series box set on DVD at Walmart for less than $30

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by 1911a1
If you have a roku devise or TV you can watch all the episodes of Miami Vice. I'm starting on season 2 episode 13, the one with Ted Nugent. I have never seen the one with Glenn Fry so I'm looking forward to that one.

You have a suggestion for a favorite episode please chime in. I haven't watched these shoes since they were on prime time. I have forgotten most of them.

I mentioned this on the 'fire the other day. The price of Bren Tens are absolutely insane right now.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/935252811
After just seeing the price on Bren Tens I could scream!!!
I had three (!!!!) of them - consecutively serial numbered!
My ex wife stole them and pawned them for $125 each. Maybe I should've just shot the bitch when I first thought about it.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
A friend had a mint Bren Ten with box and 2 magazines. It even worked when he shot it a time or two. He sold it for crazy money a few years ago to, as he put it, “some Miami Vice nerd”.

I have the whole box set, decent entertainment when we were cooped up during the Alaskan winters. Crockett started the series with a Sig before switching to the Bren, he later carried an S&W 645.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gunzo
Bren Tens were already scarce when Crockett used one. Mag availability killed them.

If ya watch closely, mid season 2 or 3, He switched to a Smith 1006 or one of it's variants.

I liked the hell out of the show about 85, 86. Now they've been running reruns & as I try to watch them I can't believe they entertained me back in the day.

Yep. Buy a S&W 1006. They work well.
Bought my first one that was a Police Trade in for $275 back when I worked in the Wholesale Firearms Industry.
Unfortunately, they are not cheap anymore, but I bet you could buy 3 of them for the current price of a Bren Ten.

I think the Miami Vice episode with Glen Fry was titled “Smuggler’s Blues”. Same as one o Fry’s song Hits he had after the Eagles breakup.

And even though I can’t stand the old dope smoking POS Willie Nelson, one of the best episodes was when he played a TX Ranger on Miami Vice.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 06/12/22.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
It wasn't so much the mag availability that killed them as it was poor management and lack of funding.
The goal had been for the Bren Ten to be a multi caliber pistol. It was to be capable of shooting both the ten mm round and the 45 acp with a simple caliber conversion - slide and barrel while utilizing the same magazine.
They couldn't get the mags to properly feed and function with both calibers so delayed shipping them in hope's of resolving that issue.
I had ordered 4 of them, iirc in late '80 or early '81, complete with the 45 acp conversion kits and 1000 rounds of Norma 10 mm ammo. Three were consecutively serial numbered by my request.
I eventually got the guns and the ammo, shipped without magazines. I raised hell with Dornous and Dixon and finally got the magazines. Never saw the conversion kits.
Col. Cooper , the man behind the idea, wrote some very glowing initial write ups on the gun and caliber. It was his dream to see it succeed, but when production began there were some , in his words, not insignificant problems with it and the company.
I don't remember what he said all the faults were with the Bren Ten but do remember him telling me that it had some fairly serious breaching issues. Not sure what they were.
He politely refused to go into any detailed descriptions of what faults he saw in the gun or the manufacturer but did say he had spent a great many hours with D & D trying to get the issues resolved.
Dornous & Dixon went bankrupt and Arizona businessman Richard Voit bought up the rights to the gun as he believed the pistol was too good to die, intending to make the needed changes and bring it to market. Unfortunately, it was not to be.
Of 4 I had, I sold one to a friend, shot and hunted with one (serial #83SM00027x), and put the other two up for posterity.
The one I used was very accurate and reliable and put several deer on the dinner table. Wish I still had it and the other two....damned ex wife!

Last edited by MickeyD; 06/13/22.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I still own a pair (not consecutively numbered) but never saw a magazine. They remain unfired in their boxes.

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”

Patrick Henry
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I still own a pair (not consecutively numbered) but never saw a magazine. They remain unfired in their boxes.

How much is a Bren 10 without a magazine worth?

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
The Bren Ten was based on the CZ 75. That being said, I wonder if a magazine from either a CZ 10 mm or Tangfoglio 10 mm would work???
I could be wrong...it's my understanding that mec gar manufactured the original mags for the Bren Ten. Perhaps an inquiry with them may provide a source for some mags.

Last edited by MickeyD; 06/13/22.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This youtube clip shows alot of actors that were on the show, before they went on to have there own shows or appear in movies.

RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I ordered a Bren 10 when they became available, less magazine. I received a letter that stated when the magazines were ready that I would be receiving two of them. Never got them and took it to a gun show with me one time and sold it for stupid money at the time. It was a nice feeling gun and wished I had kept it and received my mags.

Writing from the gateway to the great BluMtns in southeastern Washington.

Just remember, "You are the trailer park and I am the tornado". Beth Dutton, Yellowstone.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

539 members (257 mag, 10Glocks, 222Sako, 163bc, 16Racing, 1badf350, 54 invisible), 2,489 guests, and 1,310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,674
Posts18,456,096
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.