Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#17331446 06/12/22
K
klatchy Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Rabbits are eating everything in my garden I dont like cats so what can I do?

GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Shoot 'em.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Make runs or lanes in the garden and funnel them into snares or connibear sets. Both can work.

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
A covered cage trap will work also. Be sure to cover the bottom wire of the cage with dirt.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
A live trap or 2 baited with apple.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Yes on the apple. Drove into my driveway last fall and a cottontail was busy on a fallen golden delicious. Picked up his apple and made a 40 yd scramble to the bushes.

Last edited by 1minute; 06/16/22.

1Minute
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When I was young(early 1950's) my dad had a string of homemade wooden box traps on properties just outside the city limits of Milwaukee. He baited with apple and kept us in meat all winter. I still love stewed rabbit with onion gravy, drop dumpling and sweet-sour red cabbage. Mom made the same meal with chicken, pheasant and pork steak. I've made it with muskrat, you can hardly tell it from rabbit.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Shoot them

Robert
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
24 inch chicken wire keeps most of them out, except the most athletic. I enjoy watching them futz around in the yard too much to fret over the little bit they eat. They seem to like the peach drops pretty well, and also the corn I put out for the birds and squirrels.

What fresh Hell is this?
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
If you live close to woods and brush shooting doesn’t work well lots of rabbits they just keep coming back.If you live in a housing development or somewhere more open it might work.A fence is the most effective way to keep Rabbits ,Racoons and Groundhogs out especially with a couple strands of electric.

IC B3

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I've never had a rabbit I shot come back, at least not yet. If it happens I might consider moving...

As mentioned, a fence works well, especially if one buries it a bit underground. For my wife's first garden I took 4' tall chicken wire, folded it in half in an L shape and buried the one half a few inches under ground. Going out 2' was enough to keep the rabbits from digging in, especially after adding some mulch over the top to make it all look better.

As we got older, I made tables for her to use for her gardens. Now, the soil is waist high which makes easy what little weeding needs to be done and there is no bending over to pick veggies. Tomatoes can be a pain if a tall hybrid is picked but she has learned along the way. I made a deep planter so she can even grow carrots which are tough in the pottery clay soil we have.

I know others who have built raised gardens but I like the benches I made. There is no bending over which is becoming more difficult as age rushes up on us. The only drawback is using cedar and not treated wood as the preservatives can leach into the veggies and potentially cause problems. So far the beeches have held up well, the oldest is 6 years old and has no signs of rotting yet. The wife uses potting soil and other additions and it may be that it does not hold water and other organisms to cause rot like top soil.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Never meant one I shot came back just said if you live where there’s a lot of rabbits it hard to shoot them all.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by willycc
Never meant one I shot came back just said if you live where there’s a lot of rabbits it hard to shoot them all.

That is because they reproduce, well, like rabbits!

I am always looking for factory wood stocks!
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
the only way to control rabbits is shoot them all the year long. heck its kinda fun too, i shot the last one with a 220 Swift and you know what happened then = BANG and spagetti in the air and all over the lawn .

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
You can make a really nice tomato-y stew out of them with potatoes served on spagetti and also a really nice rabbit pie if you add some bacon.

J
J
thats a tough one, in our town you cant discharge firearms, bows, pellet guns or anything else legally. cottontails are a game species and have seasons and such. so when we started having problems with rabbits in our garden, I called game and fish and they said I could get a trap from the animal control place and then trap and relocate them. of course they were always out of the traps so I found a great box trap on youtube from "the meat trapper" and then built my own. they work very well, no need for bait, set them where bunnies will go into them for cover. the bunny is protected from the elements and cats and such until you get there. then you can do with it what you wish as far as relocating, having for dinner, ect...

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
That sucks. Digging metal fencing into the grounds helps

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

625 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 1eyedmule, 10ring1, 160user, 10gaugemag, 59 invisible), 2,745 guests, and 1,270 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,574
Posts18,453,925
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.