Print Thread
Hop To
T
TX35W Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
For keeping a magazine spring from sliding around in an ADL style stock, on one hand there is the "floor plate" from the Winchester 77, but I think I have another brand or design as well. Is it possible that some of the older Rem ADL's have something like that?

Reason I ask is I just put one in this Forbes to get the mag spring located and get it feeding and I don't think it was the "floor plate" from the Winchester 77... I'm trying to find another.

Last edited by TX35W; 06/12/22.
BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Early 700 ADLs had a spacer that fit in the stock for exactly that reason. -Al

Forbidden Zoner
T
TX35W Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Thanks Al! I thought it was Remington but wasn't sure.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Sell that POS Forbes to me and your problems will be solved.
whistle

I have an extra of the model 70 retainer if you want to try one.

T
TX35W Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Sell that POS Forbes to me and your problems will be solved.
whistle

I have an extra of the model 70 retainer if you want to try one.

Thanks AK. I actually happened to have one. Much appreciate the offer.

If you'd asked me three days ago I would have sold you the rifle. Did not feed at all from the left rail; bolt ran over the top of every single round. Mag box needed to be tigged to keep it from flexing, plus feed lips tweaked, plus mag spring located in place.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TX35W
Did not feed at all from the left rail; bolt ran over the top of every single round. Mag box needed to be tigged to keep it from flexing, plus feed lips tweaked, plus mag spring located in place.

On the ADL style boxes, I make them a solid bottom. This is a big help with flex and keeping the spring where it needs to be for feeding. Any spring spacer needed gets epoxied to the floor of the box once it's length get worked out. It helped the feeding on both CLR's I've owned, too. -Al

Forbidden Zoner
T
TX35W Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus
Did not feed at all from the left rail; bolt ran over the top of every single round. Mag box needed to be tigged to keep it from flexing, plus feed lips tweaked, plus mag spring located in place.

On the ADL style boxes, I make them a solid bottom. This is a big help with flex and keeping the spring where it needs to be for feeding. Any spring spacer needed gets epoxied to the floor of the box once it's length get worked out. It helped the feeding on both CLR's I've owned, too. -Al

Thanks Al,
So far the two sides of the box are now connected at the rear end (where it was split before.) That alone was a huge difference--until I did that, it didn't really matter what I did to the feed lips bc the box was flexing so much.

Was thinking to either rivet or low temp solder the mag spring to the spring locator/floor plate to fix the two in place. The floor plate piece fits the cutout in the stock pretty snugly so I don't think it will move.

That said I will have some deep thoughts about closing in the bottom of the box.

Last edited by TX35W; 06/13/22.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus

Thanks Al,
So far the two sides of the box are now connected at the rear end (where it was split before.) That alone was a huge difference--until I did that, it didn't really matter what I did to the feed lips bc the box was flexing so much.

Was thinking to either rivet or low temp solder the mag spring to the spring locator/floor plate to fix the two in place. The floor plate piece fits the cutout in the stock pretty snugly so I don't think it will move.

That said I will have some deep thoughts about closing in the bottom of the box.

Not a gunsmith...but I'll throw out an easy to try option. Give Gorilla tape a try. Under the mag box from one side to the other and to hold the split back end together. It can help with keeping the bottom of the spring aligned/located where you want and pull the back end together. If the mag box/stock inlet is tight it might make things a little tricky but usually the extra width isn't enough to bother things in the stocks I've used, but spacing could be a consideration if the fit is really tight. It's not a "fancy" fix but it's an easy thing to try....only costs a roll of the wider gorilla tape and a few minutes. Makes it much easier to put the barreled action with mag box and spring in an ADL stock as well.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker

I make a simple bottom for the box out of sheet metal or aluminum with a tab that folds around the side of the box. The tab gets spot welded or epoxied in place....a couple small holes in the tabs work well for the spot welds. On the 700's, I use the small ADL screw in the back and run a thin bead of JB Weld or Pro Bed around where the mag box fits into the receiver recess.

Two nice things about doing a box that way:

-The receiver is completely isolated from any upward pressure from the mag spring so there's no pressure on the bedding. You'd be surprised how much upward pressure there is with a stiff mag spring and a magazine full of of cartridges. wink

-Simplified barrelled action R&R

Make the mag box cutout in the stock is big enough so the box sides (and bottom, obviously) don't touch anywhere.

Just my approach to it..... -Al

Forbidden Zoner
T
TX35W Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
These are interesting ideas. Thanks Al.

JCM, I used aluminum HVAC tape the same way you are talking about to diagnose the problem and get everything located; then made it permanent.

IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Can anyone put up some pictures about the way they do it? powdr

T
TX35W Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
powdr: the numrich calls the relevant part a "winchester stock floor plate" for Model 770 or 70A. It locates the mag spring fore/aft in the stock; Al makes his own version and attaches it to the magazine box itself.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
729 members (204guy, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 16penny, 77 invisible), 2,963 guests, and 1,296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,767
Posts18,401,467
Members73,823
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.