Page 1 of 2 1 2
Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
In 300 Savage.

[Linked Image from scontent-ort2-1.xx.fbcdn.net]

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

"Every day above ground is a good day."
Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Page 97.. grin

Curious.. Rick99, how many of these do you have in your data now? I have one, David has 2, we saw 2 in Tulsa.. you up to 10 yet?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I sold one of those to a collector that used to be here and he was convinced it wasn't legit. He was a well respected collector and well liked. I was neither and was looked down on for upsetting him.

Tough schit, I was right and he was wrong.

I eventually bought it back from him because he was so butthurt about it. Then I found and bought another identical to it, giving me two. We discussed them here. Knowledge progresses as new discoveries are uncovered but some people can't acknowledge they were wrong. I guess we have put this to rest now.

David contacted me about buying one of them but I told him he would be smart to buy both to avoid being hassled like I was about their originality. Those are the two he owns now. I've seen another one or two but not for years.

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
8 out of 24 with the EG type forearm.

Rory, can you find out if metal or plastic plate and if it has the filled grip cap screw hole?

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

IC B2

Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I asked. The pistol grip doesn't look like it has a hole in it, I can't really tell on the buttplate from the picture.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Fireball2
I sold one of those to a collector that used to be here and he was convinced it wasn't legit. He was a well respected collector and well liked. I was neither and was looked down on for upsetting him.

Tough schit, I was right and he was wrong.

I eventually bought it back from him because he was so butthurt about it. Then I found and bought another identical to it, giving me two. We discussed them here. Knowledge progresses as new discoveries are uncovered but some people can't acknowledge they were wrong. I guess we have put this to rest now.

David contacted me about buying one of them but I told him he would be smart to buy both to avoid being hassled like I was about their originality. Those are the two he owns now. I've seen another one or two but not for years.
Dancing on cmhjohn's grave while claiming victory??

Since John is no longer with us I feel an obligation to help him speak,...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"Every day above ground is a good day."
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Like I said, he was well liked and well respected and I am not, and some defended him, even though he was wrong about the rifle. Whether you all like it or not, the rifle was right and John was wrong.

I didn't know the man and have no problem with him being a nice guy and well-liked, I'm pretty sure he was, but don't tell me the gun isn't correct and act all pious about it in public. The gun was CORRECT and your friend John was wrong, and I didn't appreciate the unfounded accusations made against me over that rifle.

LOL
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Funny how those rifles are legit now that David Royal owns them, and they weren't legit when I owned them huh?

LOL
Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Funny how a simple request to return a rifle turned into such a mess, eh?

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Funny how a simple request to return a rifle turned into such a mess, eh?

Look, I'm real sorry for all of your angst, but the simple truth is the rifle was correct and John wanted to argue that it wasn't. He was wrong. He not only wanted to return it on those false grounds, but he wanted to run me in the ground while he was at it.

Sorry, ain't happening.

I did return his money and take the rifle back, if only to appease him, but he could never acknowledge the rifle was correct.

So, judge as you will.

Last edited by Fireball2; 06/12/22.

LOL
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
OK, I'll post a post due to my lack of total knowledge of the 99's compared to many here (I'm a PhD compared to 3-4 years ago), but what are we looking at here. When I first looked at the picture I thought there must be something to do with the fact that there is no checkering on either the pistol grip and forearm, but that the forearm tip is of the Schnabel type which doesn't fit not having any checkering at all. Just a WAG on my part. Please inform me, anyone if you would.

Also, FWIW, during my 21 years as a LEO, saw to many squabbles over nothing resulting in 'heart ache and sorrow' and 'the wailing and gnashing of teeth' over trivial matters that resulted in lost friendships and family breakups. Many times worse things happened. You all take care! Just saying! Roger

Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
It's 1960 model 99E - the first style with walnut stock and schnabel tipped forearm. They quickly changed to a rounded forearm, and we've seen only a vew few of these. They used leftover Chicopee Falls receivers from 1959 in the 968,xxx serial number range. Most have a plastic buttplate.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Ah So!!!! Thank you Rory, figured it might be parts from a former model that were used on a newer model or something like that, but ignorant of the timeline and specifics. One of those "Never Say Never With Savage" rifles. smile

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Like I said, he was well liked and well respected and I am not, and some defended him, even though he was wrong about the rifle. Whether you all like it or not, the rifle was right and John was wrong.

I didn't know the man and have no problem with him being a nice guy and well-liked, I'm pretty sure he was, but don't tell me the gun isn't correct and act all pious about it in public. The gun was CORRECT and your friend John was wrong, and I didn't appreciate the unfounded accusations made against me over that rifle.

hm

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Savage 94C,

This model was listed in the 1960 catalog with the schnabel forearm but the majority of them have a non checkered F style forearm. Also cataloged with a plastic plate and no grip cap.

Early on the only ones with the Schable forearm were a couple with 1959 LBC and serials. A couple more have shown up with 1960 LBC.

As time went on a few showed up with the schanbel forearm, metal plates and the grip cap area with a filled in cap screw hole. It is this version that FB2 is referring.

The serial range run for around 1800 units and no way to how many receiver were actually in that group. We have seen very few of these 1960 E's.

Who knows what else will turn up. Never say "never".

Rick...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
At one time I thought perhaps since the two I had had that filled hole in the pistol grip, Savage may have reshaped leftover EG buttstocks to make the early E stock, eliminating the grip cap and filling the hole in the process.

However when overlaying the EG and E buttstocks the E was shaped in such a way that it would not have been possible to arrive at the E stock beginning with the EG stock. The E stock was unique and I can only speculate why the grip cap had been drilled for a screw then filled. Would have been interesting to hear the conversation leading to that solution.

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
"No one told me it didn't get a grip cap." mad

Good info on the stock shape. smile

Last edited by Rick99; 06/12/22.

Rick...

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
When did the safeties move from the lever area to the top?

Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
1960 for everything but the 99E and 75th Anniversary models.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

60 members (10gaugemag, Akhutr, Anaconda, 6MMWASP, 7 invisible), 1,593 guests, and 820 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,202
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.