Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Good bud killed this 43" cape buff in RSA with his .416 Rem. Bud wasn't at the skinning shed, so didn't get recovered bullets (if they even recovered them).

The rifle is an old push feed M-70 that he got David Christman in Delhi, LA to convert from .264 WM to .416 Rem. Of course, that took a lot of work, probably more than the action was worth, but this old gun has sentimental value and he wanted to use it. David did a great job on the action, fitted a Shilen barrel. I mounted the Trijicon, steel bedded and free floated it, sighted it in.

I sent David this photo, commenting it must cycle pretty slick to hit a buff 4 times before he could get away. David said those older push feed M-70's were pretty good platforms; this one is definitely an earlier one.

My reloads: I had checked with Bill Hober at Swift, got his load data for 400 gr. SAF and 400 gr. Breakaway solids. Hunt was with Charl van Rooyan, who guided my bud.

Seems van Rooyen doesn't like solids due to overpenetration. Wish I'd have known that before buying $7 a piece Breakaway solids, but it was bud's money I was spending, but still.....

I would like to thank 24 HCF members for helping me put together the components. Without that help, doubt I could have accomplished what needed to happen. Bud thanks you, too.

First shot was thru the chest and exited. The next three hits with buff running didn't exit, putting him down before he could get away. Those dudes aren't easy to kill. Mentioned that to Christman, who agreed, said he wouldn't have it any other way.

I had loaded NPT's and SAF's as bud is a Partition fan. Charl is a Swift fan, so he used the 400 SAF. I doubt the buff could have told the difference between SAF and NPT. Accruacy is about the same. They were moving almost 2,400 fps over 74 gr. 4064, Fed 215's. Both shot half inch at 65 yds., which is about the max distance they shoot those animals. I saw no need to shoot it at a hundred, although I think it would go MOA, probably better.

DF

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

GB1

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Dang that's nice!

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That's a good dugga boy. Sure is green----every time I've been there it's been brown & dry.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Good story and outcome. Thanks for posting. Someday...when I can't climb the mountains after elk.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Although I didn't go, he did, I was definitely involved, enjoyed hearing about the hunt, seeing photos.

I guess I sorta vicariously participated.

Here's a video of me shooting the gun on a standing bench at Bud's camp. Hit the mute button to hear it. I've posted this one before. Bud and I both have had right shoulder surgery by a surgeon (fellow hunter) in New Orleans. I sent him this video which he enjoyed seeing. I was in essence bragging on his work.

Recoil really isn't that bad, just a big push. I'd rather shoot that gun than a light .300 Weatherby. It's really not much worse than another Bud's .500 NE double, which I though was pretty controllable. This .416 Rem is very controllable. The Trijicon with the triangle post reticle is great for fast target acquisition, didn't do too bad on the 65 yd. target. I think that scope was about perfect for the three fast follow up shots on a running buff.

DF

[img]https://i.imgur.com/H0EkQ2c.mp4[/img]

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Excellent! Congrats on the hunt and thanks for the story & photo!

Guy

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Congrats to you both DF. Liked the video.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Great report DF, Thanks! man i don't see how you're resisting LOL!

Trump Won!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by gunner500
Thanks. I enjoyed my part, enjoyed seeing him kill a good’un. He’s pumped, ready to go back. He hit it off 2 yrs ago with van Rooyen. Charl seems to like him, too.

DF

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks for posting.

SCI Life Member
DAV Life Member
NRA Life Member
North American Hunt Club Life Member

Your true character shows in your conduct

You cannot solve a problem at the same level of awareness that created it - Einstein
IC B3

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by gunner500
Thanks. I enjoyed my part, enjoyed seeing him kill a good’un. He’s pumped, ready to go back. He hit it off 2 yrs ago with van Rooyen. Charl seems to like him, too.

DF

Dang right DF, man you're right there, i cant see how you're not going, it's a blast Buddy! cool

And not to give anyone any terrible visuals while still digesting breakfast, but damn, when you're there tracking game in the jungle thorns, hot winds, animal sounds all around, in the sand and scorch, something bites you hard, drags up some primeval spirits modern life and it's conveniences has rounded off, we're too damn old to swing from vines and scream like Tarzan, but holy hell, you want to pull your shirt off and do it anyway! LOL!

Last edited by gunner500; 06/15/22.

Trump Won!
G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Dirtfarmer; if you have not gone to hunt in Africa please do your self the great favour of going.

The flights are a pain in the azz but seat upgrades help a lot.

But the experience as gunner500 has described so well is outstanding. The birds, the game animals, the skill of the trackers!! Don’t forget you can hunt in our winter when there is not a lot of farming to be done. (I could be very wrong on farming in Louisiana of which I know FA)

Please go and enjoy one of the most magical experiences a hunter can have, your first trip to hunt in Africa.

You seem like a fine gentleman and will most assuredly get on famously with your PH and trackers. Take Gunners advice to heart and go.

The campfire will gladly help direct you to good groups to hunt with in pretty much which ever country you chose to go.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Thanks guys.

DF

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
DF,
Oh man that's a good buff!!! Love the 'helmet' of a boss and glad your bud was finally able to make it over.

Didn't know he was hunting with Charl. I don't know Charl personally, but his reputation across the forums I visit is stellar.

He went over yonder way
D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Your Charl profile seems to fit Bud’s opinion and everything I’ve read or heard.

Class guy, class act.

DF

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Charl Van Rooyen is a great guy, a respected PH who owns a great safari company.

That’s a very nice buffalo, he’s a fortunate hunter.

Dirt Farmer, you need to go to hunt Africa. It’ll be a highlight of your life. There are few things you’ll ever experience that compare to hunting buffalo.

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
DF,
Go to Africa!

Arcus Venator
D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Just got off the phone with my Bud. He found 50 Hornady .416 Rem cases, can't find 400 gr. NPT or SAF bullets

The Campfire crowd was most helpful 2 yrs ago, assisting me in putting together components for this year's RSA hunt.

Even though he does want SAF and NPT 400's, I told him any 400 gr lead bullets would be good for practice and for shooting local WT's and hogs.

If anyone has .416 bullets not being used or has a lead on some, please let me know.

Thanks,

DF

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Graf has 400 grain Barnes TSX in stock. Not the bullet you asked for, but lots of PH’s think they’re one of the best buffalo bullets of all.

Last edited by CAelknuts; 06/24/22.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Another bud who killed a 41" cape in Zim, liked and used the 400 TSX out of his .416 Rigby Ruger Safari Magnum (RSM). He told me this week, he'd go back with that same load and bullet. IIRC, he used a max dose of H-4831. Seems the larger Rigby case does better with slower powder than the .416 Rem. Bill Hober said 4064 was his fav and that's what he loads Swift .416 Rem factory ammo with. If 4064 is good enough for Swift, it's good enough for me and that's what I used.

This bud likes the NPT , while van Rooyen likes the SAF. So, we're trying to find what they prefer.

Agree with the TSX. But, it's not my job to tell those guys what to use....

DF

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
I like the 350 grain TSX/TTSX 93 grain of 2000MR give 2715 FOS out of my 416 Rem. I don't see the need for 400 grain mono bullets in 416

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by jwp475
I like the 350 grain TSX/TTSX 93 grain of 2000MR give 2715 FOS out of my 416 Rem. I don't see the need for 400 grain mono bullets in 416
You're not the only one who likes the 350 TSX. I've seen that one mentioned a number of times.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
BTW. with a tip from a 24 HCF member, bud got two boxes of 400 gr. NPT's from a Montana gun shop. They're shipping them Monday.

Thanks for the help.

DF

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
In order to get game harvested bullets back, I told my Namibian PH I’d give his skinners $100 Namibian (about $6 US) for retrieved bullets- worked like a charm.

Jesus saves, but Moses invests
D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by BulletBud
In order to get game harvested bullets back, I told my Namibian PH I’d give his skinners $100 Namibian (about $6 US) for retrieved bullets- worked like a charm.
That’s a good idea.

DF

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jwp475
You're not the only one who likes the 350 TSX. I've seen that one mentioned a number of times.

DF

My 416 Remington is getting fed 350gr TSX's. Likes them better than the TTSX's. Rifle hated the Speers, and looking for some 350gr A-Frame's for deer should I be so inclined. cool

Got 500 plus of the TSX's and should be set for a long time. I will shoot at least 400 of them getting ready for the next buffalo trip. That is, when I decide to go back. grin

Arcus Venator
D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
That’s a good idea.

DF
I'm gonna pass that info to my buds.

The Zim hunt with 41" buff, the 400 gr. TSX was recovered. But that bud is a reloader, gun nut a lot more so than the bud with the 43" buff. That one lets me do his reloading, sighting, etc. Other bud with the RSM Rigby does his own stuff.

This TSX went thru around 50" of buff. Buff ran and was found dead in a thicket.

It must tighten one's sphincters a bit, walking into a thicket with little or no visibility, following a wounded buff. They were relieved walking up on him lying dead.

At least the 43" RSA buff was dropped before he got out of sight, which for sure seems the better option. But I guess you take'em as you find'em. Every scenario is different.

DF

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I

That's interesting. On one trip to RSA and two to Zimbabwe, the skinners gave me the bullets without my paying them anything. Maybe they lost some but I think it likely that the missing ones exited the animals.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Me too. All I did was ask for them.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
K
K
Hi Dirt farmer
The Barnes bullets are really performing well , we have hunted rhino , buffalo and most plainsgame this season using TTSX and have been very impressed .
What is the planned bucket list ?

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Kei_River
Hi Dirt farmer
The Barnes bullets are really performing well , we have hunted rhino , buffalo and most plainsgame this season using TTSX and have been very impressed .
What is the planned bucket list ?
I’ve read that some PH’s like the non tipped Barnes. One noted that with repeat loading and unloading, the tips can be broken off.

DF

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have used the TSX simply because of magazine constraints with the Winchester Classic's in both 375 H&H and 416 Rem in reaching the lands.

I tried the TTSX's in my 416 simply due to availability, but then the plain TSX's became available and I stocked up. I sold my remaining TTSX's since my rifle did not like them.

Arcus Venator
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I forgot to add that I have never had a problem with TSX's in my 338-06's, 375 H&H, or404 Jeffery on game.

Have never had any tips fall off while hunting with my 270s, or 300 H&H. I have opened a couple boxes where the tips were not in a couple of bulletts though.

Arcus Venator
D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by CRS
I forgot to add that I have never had a problem with TSX's in my 338-06's, 375 H&H, or404 Jeffery on game.

Have never had any tips fall off while hunting with my 270s, or 300 H&H. I have opened a couple boxes where the tips were not in a couple of bulletts though.
Missing tips probably won’t hurt that much.

Just the idea.

DF

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I certainly did not get my panties in a wad over it like some on here would. cool

Arcus Venator
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

146 members (6mmbrfan, 257 mag, 280ACKIMP, 44mc, 35, 338rcm, 16 invisible), 1,296 guests, and 846 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,223
Posts18,447,517
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.