Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I used to think my best chance of catching a bass was usually with a Senko. Based on my experience with the Ned Rig over the past two years I'd say the Ned Rig is at least as effective.

This past Thursday we fished a lake that's low because of drought. Wasn't really expecting much as it was windy and the lake reportedly hasn't been too productive so far this year. Started fishing at eleven and quit at four. We fished only areas with heavy brushy cover and used heavier tackle, 20 lb braid and a 15lb fluro leader on a medium spinning rod that at first I thought might be too heavy to work that well with a Ned Rig. Wrong, we caught and released bass and one big crappie all day, quit counting after we got in the 20s. One of those days that once it gets going you're expecting a strike every cast. Got plenty of hang ups and I had to bend the hook back in shape a few times but didn't lose any tackle. We were using Z Man 1/6th Ned Rig jig heads and plain green pumpkin 2&3/4" Z Man ElaZtec Ned Rig baits. The baits never had to be replaced and it seemed the more beat up looking they got the quicker they got hit. No big fish, all were in the 12" to 15" range but chunky with a lot of jumps and fight.

I realize a big part of it was finding the fish and being there on the right day but since I started using the Ned Rig it seems I've had more good days and it's an easy way to fish.

Last edited by 43Shooter; 04/30/22.
GB2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Largemouth?

I need to look into those.

I’ve started fishing more with spinning reels.

I’ve only bottom fished with baitcasters.

Is it harder to detect bites with spinning gear?

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Not to me they both seem the same if you're using braid & a fluro leader. Bites are easier to detect and hook sets are better than with mono IMO as there's no line stretch. Didn't think I'd ever use braid till I tried it on spinning gear, there's less hassle than with mono and it makes spinning a lot more versatile as you can use heavier line because of braids smaller diameter.

Yep Largemouth. .

Last edited by 43Shooter; 04/30/22.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I picked up some of the sufix 832 or whatever.

8 carrier. Real smooth and soft.

Not the flat braid i remember from years back.

10# the size of 4# mono.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
We went back to the same lake today. All conditions including time were the same. Worked hard to catch eight fish. Someone suggested we might catch more fish and have less hangups with lighter line & jig heads. We'll see.

Last edited by 43Shooter; 05/03/22.
IC B2

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Anybody with success using the ned rig on smallies in rivers at all?

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by efw

yep. work great. Ii go heavier to get down in the current

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
A lot of guys use the Ned rigs in Minnesota, deadly on smallmouth in lakes or rivers when used certain ways.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by Osky
A lot of guys use the Ned rigs in Minnesota, deadly on smallmouth in lakes or rivers when used certain ways.

Osky

What would those “certain ways” be? Do you know?

I’m completely ignorant & looking to expand my repertoire!

Thanks gentlemen!

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
A fellow I fish the Mississippi with is a circuit pro and on the river nearly any time of day he searches out flats with only 12 maybe 16 inches of water flowing over and we cast up on to those and let it sit, barely a twitch every so often. Retrievel only when tossing it to a new position.
The river in that area we fish is not overly clear.
The current keeps the tail rubber twitching to be sure.
Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Osky
A fellow I fish the Mississippi with is a circuit pro and on the river nearly any time of day he searches out flats with only 12 maybe 16 inches of water flowing over and we cast up on to those and let it sit, barely a twitch every so often. Retrievel only when tossing it to a new position.
The river in that area we fish is not overly clear.
The current keeps the tail rubber twitching to be sure.
Osky

How long do you soak it before reeling in and casting elsewhere?

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
This might help:

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
This is helpful also:

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by efw

I haven’t used one in any rivers but have used them in local creeks to deadly effect on smallmouth and rock bass.
As a matter of fact my youngest son and I fished one of our favorite creeks yesterday wading over a mile. All I used was a Ned rig and caught 66, the best of which was a chunky 1 lb, 10 ounce smallie.
I just bounce them along the bottom to simulate a crawfish.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Cool I’ve got a couple spots in my local rivers that I know hold gosh but are difficult to get to with the in-line spinners & spoons that are my bread & butter.

This bed rig seems perfect I was just uncertain how it’d be in fast, deep chutes like the places I have in mind. I think, with everyone’s help here and those videos, I have a good idea of how to approach em.

Gonna celebrate Juneteenth with Ned rigs up in doze bronzebacks faces! wink

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Gonna celebrate Juneteenth with Ned rigs up in doze bronzebacks faces!

Good luck!

Last edited by JTrapper73; 06/15/22.
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
First time out with Ned I caught a couple rock bass.

Second time I caught a couple rock bass and small smallies.

Today I caught a few small & medium smallies but lost 3 that were bigger than most I’ve caught.

I love it I’m catching fish and hooking BIG ones my problem is I’ve gotta learn to decipher the difference between rocks & fish so I can get a solid hook set…

I’m running braid & graphite rod so I’ll get it figured.

Been using the Strike King Rage Ned Cut-R Worm in Bama Craw I’m gonna learn this method better it’s been great thanks all!

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I’ve been out of fishing for quite awhile but been watching videos on Ned Rig. From what I’ve seen the best colors overall to use are June bug,Green Pumpkin and Yoga pants(Black). The Z-MAN brand original TRD and TRD CRAWZ are best all around plastic to use because they are made with ElaZtech which is a strong stretchy material that floats so it keeps the Ned rig pointing straight up off the bottom which is what makes the Ned Rig so effective over traditional bottom techniques. EVERYONE says it is noticeably more effective if you rig your plastic on the jig and it is PERFECTLY straight with no bends whatsoever. The last tip is to cast it out and let it hit bottom and don’t move it at all maybe occasionally lightly wiggle it and let sit again or very slowly just drag it across the bottom and pause then drag again then pause or you can hop it a few times then pause.It is a SLOWWWWWW fishing technique so don’t fish it to fast. Basically a do nothing technique. I’m going to get out there and try it soon.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
That’s all good stuff thanks.

I have the z man stuff on my list to get on my next run those look great and I’m fishing smallies so craw pattern looks outstanding.

The challenge for me is I’m fishing deep, fast water right below a dam so I’m trying to work it slow while keeping it from getting hung up.

Good luck!!

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
They sell weedless styles Ned Rig heads too

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
684 members (12344mag, 160user, 12308300, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 69 invisible), 2,697 guests, and 1,255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,617
Posts18,398,496
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.