-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I needed a stock for my post 64 M70 in 225Win, so I bought a post 64 M70 that did not have a bolt. So now I am the proud owner of a barrelled action without a bolt. I'm assuming that the barrel would have some resale value, but not sure a bolt-less barrelled action would be worth much.

Should I have the barrel removed and junk the action? Or try to sell it as is? Or try to find a bolt?

The barrel is also a 225, BTW.

Thanks for your thoughts.

GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I’m sure the action is worth something to someone out there. I’d imagine if someone really wanted to they could source a bolt to fit. I definitely wouldn’t toss it out though.

Semper Fi
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
A bolt will be hard but no impossible to come by. I think how you proceed will depend on what you want to do. If you track the bolt down, you have a functional action and if not, it's someone else's problem. The barrel isn't going to fetch much in my opinion. The action on the other hand could have decent value if complete.

If it were me, I'd try to track down a bolt. But that's me. YMMV.

Good luck.
Rob

PS - sourcing the bolt doesn't fix the problem, the bolt will need to be fitted to the action so there will be some 'smithing fees.

Last edited by Technoman26; 06/14/22.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Technoman26
A bolt will be hard but no impossible to come by. I think how you proceed will depend on what you want to do. If you track the bolt down, you have a functional action and if not, it's someone else's problem. The barrel isn't going to fetch much in my opinion. The action on the other hand could have decent value if complete.

Good luck.
Rob

PS - sourcing the bolt doesn't fix the problem, the bolt will need to be fitted to the action so there will be some 'smithing fees.

Yes, going down the rabbit hole big time. Could be a struggle. I've seen some outrageous prices on model 70 bolts lately. Even the pushfeed models are spendy.. Redneck or Justin at pre64win may be able to help??

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
My suggestion. with pre-emptive caveat. The "receiver" a firearm" with complexities appended. Three issues here as your own choices predicate to all others. Then of "marketability" and "regulatory consequences."

You've introduced 'variables' inclusive mixed choices resulting in multiple alternatives! You need to decide what you want to do as shaping marketing and regulatory considerations introduced into the mix.

You don't reference what generation of Post '64 vintage action, with those first several years or so, the least desired/marketable. '68 forward improved action notably inclusive of integral "rail" bolt guide. Conjunctive, the value of YOUR time, effort, expense outlay and resulting 'worth' of whatever product. Inclusive of finding 'the proper' bolt, labor costs of gunsmithing required as noted headspace issues! Perhaps more as 'Murphy's law! And was there mention of a stock???

All that predicate to your seminal question of 'What the factory has joined together, shall I put asunder...! smile Then, next your questions of 'marketability' in mix & match receiver & barrel.

You have a passel of alternatives resplendent with the hassle of multi-issues hanging. If to multiply the collective alternatives, a 'decision logic' table required! Suggest: Finding exactly what you have. What you need to put it in complete rifle firing condition. From that, the effort, economics and perhaps professional gunsmithing services, if required. Whether to hang the "Do Not Resuscitate" tag. Then, onward to whichever further logic alternatives based on wisdom/decisions concluded. Such yet, presumably multi-choice of selling 'as is', parting out or as assembly. What you want to do in that context and what's realistically/legally marketable.

In chess board context, your move and needing not to 'take back' as reintroducing speculation on other alternatives! Oh my!

IF understanding any of this...
Just my take! smile
John

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks, guys, for your input! Any SWAG as to what it is worth as is? I really don't have any use for it and would make someone a really good deal on it. Thanks again.

Also, would there be any red tape involved in selling it to someone out of state. Would this be considered a firearm, or, since it is not capable of firing, would it just be considered a piece of metal?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Last edited by southtexas; 06/15/22.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Found a bolt for you...a bit spendy as I figured it would be.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3344733305...r=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
I would just sit that barreled action somewhere and use your other guns. Sooner or later a bolt will find its way to you

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Sufficient things in this world to make me feel the "really old" I factually am! smile But 'disconnect' with economic realities, perhaps one of the most pronounced. That bolt listed above, as just another "holy smokes" (not the actual term I used, but nicer). The good as I'm financially 'situated' and to personally weather pretty well. The wider 'I am my brother's keeper", in terms of social responsibility. Ever increasing numbers of folks hurting and more to be.

Enough preaching. I do believe prices will level off. Regression, not likely soon. Recession seems probable. America's not an economic island!

The greater levelling particularly such in respect of "disposable income"; such goods & services. Necessities such as food, housing including maintenance & repair costs. Public services as water, electric, gas, waste/garbage and ever "taxes" Vehicle acquisition, maintenance, insurance and fuel costs. Those becoming large and unknown variables. Disproportionately so!

The point as right now, in respect of non-essentials, my belief best just to hold! "Comfortably situated" today, little assurance of the future.
Rant concluded, back to the bolt, as appearing the pre '68 genre which is "perhaps" what is needed. But the ad, from my viewing, not specific. Acquisition even "if it fits" with barreled action and yet stock to be factored in. My belief the value based on "sum of parts" as likely greater than comparable used rifle harmoniously from factory. Then too, the matter of headspace!

Believe the net, net, as seller, you're trying to parlay original 'bite the bullet' acquisition wrapped into a new dimension as recovering some expenses. Likely not realistic. Saying that, the entire caveat of my above words as bit detached from current economic realities.

Good luck, whatever! smile

Best!
John

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by iskra
Sufficient things in this world to make me feel the "really old" I factually am! smile But 'disconnect' with economic realities, perhaps one of the most pronounced. That bolt listed above, as just another "holy smokes" (not the actual term I used, but nicer). The good as I'm financially 'situated' and to personally weather pretty well. The wider 'I am my brother's keeper", in terms of social responsibility. Ever increasing numbers of folks hurting and more to be.

Enough preaching. I do believe prices will level off. Regression, not likely soon. Recession seems probable. America's not an economic island!

The greater levelling particularly such in respect of "disposable income"; such goods & services. Necessities such as food, housing including maintenance & repair costs. Public services as water, electric, gas, waste/garbage and ever "taxes" Vehicle acquisition, maintenance, insurance and fuel costs. Those becoming large and unknown variables. Disproportionately so!

The point as right now, in respect of non-essentials, my belief best just to hold! "Comfortably situated" today, little assurance of the future.
Rant concluded, back to the bolt, as appearing the pre '68 genre which is "perhaps" what is needed. But the ad, from my viewing, not specific. Acquisition even "if it fits" with barreled action and yet stock to be factored in. My belief the value based on "sum of parts" as likely greater than comparable used rifle harmoniously from factory. Then too, the matter of headspace!

Believe the net, net, as seller, you're trying to parlay original 'bite the bullet' acquisition wrapped into a new dimension as recovering some expenses. Likely not realistic. Saying that, the entire caveat of my above words as bit detached from current economic realities.

Best!
John

John,
All those words!

I'm glad you're financially stable and you have a handle on the economics we're all dealing with currently. Good for you. I was simply pointing out these are not impossible to find. I believe I pointed out the potential expense in my first post noting availability. The same seller has a second bolt available as well for even more $. smile

Worth? That's up to the OP.
Rob

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Good luck.
Rob

Yes, going down the rabbit hole big time. Could be a struggle. I've seen some outrageous prices on model 70 bolts lately. Even the pushfeed models are spendy.. Redneck or Justin at pre64win may be able to help??
Originally Posted by iskra

Best!
John

John,
All those words!

I'm glad you're financially stable and you have a handle on the economics we're all dealing with currently. Good for you. I was simply pointing out these are not impossible to find. I believe I pointed out the potential expense in my first post noting availability. The same seller has a second bolt available as well for even more $. smile

Worth? That's up to the OP.
Rob

And in very little words, I said this^^^ No need to point out exactly what I said with examples.. That is kind of monotonous. John is 100% correct. Especially his last sentence.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
And in very little words, I said this^^^ No need to point out exactly what I said with examples.. That is kind of monotonous. John is 100% correct. Especially his last sentence.

Holy chit, more words. You guys crack me up.

Larry, You've not understood my intent. I provided a link to a bolt both in existence and for sale. But John turned it into another diatribe while letting us know his economic status and some of his thoughts on the subject of the economic downturn while sliding in his opinion on the price of that bolt. Oh well, Southtex can do with all of this as he sees fit.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
You could have just bought a post 64 stock from me and saved yourself the headache. I probably have 10 of them, maybe more. It seems to me I may even have a bolt hidden somewhere in my "treasure chest" of model 70 goodies. That chest seems to be a one way street though. Things go IN there but never OUT.

I am always looking for factory wood stocks!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

663 members (01Foreman400, 160user, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1973cb450, 65 invisible), 2,961 guests, and 1,238 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,263
Posts18,467,148
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.