Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I'm considering a purchase of an O/U for waterfowl hunting(and other birds too), but would like to hear from those who have and/or are using an O/U. <P>I've been looking at the Stoeger Condor. It looks very attractive for less than $450. [img]images/icons/smile.gif" border="0[/img]<P>What's your opinions/experiences?<P>Thank you, Bowhunter57

Guns cause crime, like silverware causes Rosie O'Donnell to be fat.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
when it comes to waterfowl, i leave my o/u behind and take my pump. nothing wrong w/ the o/u, but i am a better shot w/ my pump. when it comes to other birds, i take my o/u simply because it is lighter.<P>i guess if i was much into hunting ducks, an o/u would suffice, but i like hunting geese, and do that w/ 3 1/2" shells through my pump.

Hunting is not a matter of life or death. It is much more important than that.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't know anything about the Stoeger gun but I hunt all birds with a 3 inch chambered O/U, specfically a Winchester 101, and believe that the ability to manage chokes is more important than a third shot. No question that 3 1/2 inch STEEL loads are better than 3 inch STEEL loads but if you are serious about goose or duck hunting at maximum ranges, you aren't shooting steel anyway. <P>Some of the foreign made guns are much better than their price would indicate, but I would be concerned with the quality of an O/U costing that little. And frankly, might be more imclined to buy a decent pump instead. Believe me, almost without exception cheap guns break more parts, more often than most more expensive guns, comparing action for action, and the cheap foreign made guns can be a real problem getting parts for.

"When we put [our enlisted men and women] in harm's way, it had better count for something. It can't be because some policy wonk back here has a brain fart of an idea of a strategy that isn't thought out." General Zinni on Iraq

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I use a Weatherby Orion o/u for waterfowl and upland.It has 3 inch chambers. It is not the best for either but not a bad compromise. Many times we do what the Brits refer to as rough shooting and will be after anything from geese to hungarian partridge on the same day.

Murf
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Murf:<P>I'm driving from Texas to the Swift Current area next week for my annual(early this year, due to another trip scheduled in October) duck/goose/upland hunt. Will probably be staying in Herbert Hotel/Bar at least part of the time. I know it is a couple of hours away, but if you're out and about I'll buy the beer. Email me and I'll give more details if you think you can get over. Regards CAT

"When we put [our enlisted men and women] in harm's way, it had better count for something. It can't be because some policy wonk back here has a brain fart of an idea of a strategy that isn't thought out." General Zinni on Iraq

IC B2

ive never shot an overunder for waterfoul, but one of my dads friends shoots his o/u all the time for waterfoul, idont really like using pump either, i like automatic except for an occasional jam, i just dont like to pump i would rather use that time on concentration on my next shot

one shot-one kill
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Drag:

Once you get used to it, there is no time or thinking involved in pumping a shotgun. Actually a good man on a slick pump can work it faster than most semi-autos (the Benelli, which is QUICK, might be an exception). With a pump, you almost never have that "occasional jam". They are quite a bit cheaper and more reliable in most cases than semi-autos. You might consider one for waterfowling in the future.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I live right in the middle of the pacific flyway, so get to hunt a lot of geese and ducks. I have hunted them extensively with pumps and O/U's. Most of the serious waterfowlers I hunt with all prefer our O'U's. Having also shot a lot of sporting clays/skeet it soon becomes apparent that nothing points/handles quicker than an O/U (the reason serious shooters use them). Endless choke selection options, as well as a fast second shot are benefits. 2 good shots are better than 3 fast ones in my opinion. Another virtue that I have come to appreciate when guiding waterfowlers is the safety of an O/U. When a hunter has the action open and the gun is draped over his arm, it obvious that the gun is safe. When I head afield these days, my Beretta 686 gets the nod. I find 3" magnums more than enough for the big geese (even with steel), and if a 3 1/2" magnum is what you desire, look at Browning's selection of O/U's, I know they make at least 1 model with 3 1/2" chambers. Just my 2 cents worth.

ACKLEY

"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take!"
I shoot a Stoger uplander SXS 12 ga. and I love it you can not beat this gun for the price I have shot alot of birds with it. I just bought a Stoger Condor o/u in 20 ga. just the other day and just shot it today and it performs just as well as my SXS I would recommend a Stoger to anyone.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

179 members (338reddog, 300jimmy, 12344mag, 2UP, 35, 007FJ, 18 invisible), 1,520 guests, and 904 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,600
Posts18,454,584
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.