Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Title says it all. New steering box, track arm, steering linkages tie rod links, hub bearing assembly, drag links, control arms, ball joints, new bushings, brakes, rotors, calipers, axel u-joints shocks and springs. Yeah, a good deal of work to do.

Ordered some parts and have purchased an new torque wrench to reach 275 ft pounds, an huge breaker bar and ball joint remover/install tool kit. Not counting the parts I'm $400+ with tools I've had to aquire for this install. I'm pretty confident doing this repair job and hope to save some cash doing this myself. Any of you think it's worth doing it on your own?

BP-B2

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
It cost me 1200 with parts about 3 years on a 2004. I could work all the overtime I wanted then, so it was easier to pay than work on truck when I could make 70.00 an hour OT. Now I’d think about doing it myself

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
I think I'll be at least 3k in parts. The ball joints alone were $800, each u-joint is $80+.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
don't remember the cost of the parts, but it was way cheaper buying them from amazon, I did my 4x4 duelly 4 yrs ago.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
If you have the time and the tools, its definitely worth doing it your self.

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Hang on to the tools. You’ll be doing it again if you keep the truck very long. Dodge.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Just had a 2011 Ram 3500 4x4 done. EVERYTHING including new U Joints, calibers, hubs... whole front end. including alignment and tire rotation/re-balance.

$850 in labor... $1,100 in my supplied parts IIRC (Moog/Raybestos et al from Rock Auto).

12-16 hours of labor I think. Best shop I know.

Many parts are becoming very hard to find.

Last edited by CashisKing; 06/15/22. Reason: Edit for clarity

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by gregintenn
Hang on to the tools. You’ll be doing it again if you keep the truck very long. Dodge.

Funny.

Ignorant, but funny.................

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Right? My last Ram had three rear ends put in. What a POS.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Happy
Campfire 'Bwana
T
So what's the story ?

Have a local guy I know...'16-17 Ram w/Cummins...50K miles

Had to have the whole front end rebuilt...

Good thing he bought an extended warranty...but he had to fight tooth & nail

Just to have OEM Mopar parts replaced ?

Got it back & sold it.

Then went and bought a '19 Ram/Cummins with 20K on it

Slow learner eh ?

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Theoldpinecricker
Title says it all. New steering box, track arm, steering linkages tie rod links, hub bearing assembly, drag links, control arms, ball joints, new bushings, brakes, rotors, calipers, axel u-joints shocks and springs. Yeah, a good deal of work to do.

Ordered some parts and have purchased an new torque wrench to reach 275 ft pounds, an huge breaker bar and ball joint remover/install tool kit. Not counting the parts I'm $400+ with tools I've had to aquire for this install. I'm pretty confident doing this repair job and hope to save some cash doing this myself. Any of you think it's worth doing it on your own?

You'll still have a Dodge after all that work.

Imagine a corporate oligarchy so effective, so advanced and fine tuned that its citizens still call it a democracy.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by badger

Funny.

How many Dodge trucks have you owned? I’ve had several and speak from experience.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
. I'm pretty confident doing this repair job and hope to save some cash doing this myself. Any of you think it's worth doing it on your own?

I would do it myself because I trust my work more than somebody trying to beat a flat-rate clock. And I enjoy being able to do such work.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Funny.

How many Dodge trucks have you owned? I’ve had several and speak from experience.

I’m on my 5th one. 3 1500’s and now on my 2nd diesel 2500. The only one that I replaced ball joints on was my 2003 2500, at about 260k miles. I’ve upgraded shock absorbers on most of them, and replaced the front wheel bearings on my current one at 180k miles. It now has 193k. Suspension and steering repairs have not been an issue on any of the trucks I’ve owned. The Nissan 4X4 I had in the late 80’s needed more upkeep than the Rams I’ve owned.

Maybe I’m easier on my vehicles, I don’t use oversized wheels or run crazy offsets. I use decent tires (Michelin’s) and keep them balanced. I use my truck, and frequently tow up to 10k with it, but I don’t beat it to death either.

Last edited by badger; 06/15/22.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I would also suggest an alignment using Thuren specs. Made a huge difference on my 2007 3500.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G

Funny.

I’m on my 5th one. 3 1500’s and now on my 2nd diesel 2500. The only one that I replaced ball joints on was my 2003 2500, at about 260k miles. I’ve upgraded shock absorbers on most of them, and replaced the front wheel bearings on my current one at 180k miles. It now has 193k. Suspension and steering repairs have not been an issue on any of the trucks I’ve owned. The Nissan 4X4 I had in the late 80’s needed more upkeep than the Rams I’ve owned.

Maybe I’m easier on my vehicles, I don’t use oversized wheels or run crazy offsets. I use decent tires (Michelin’s) and keep them balanced. I use my truck, and frequently tow up to 10k with it, but I don’t beat it to death either.
You’ve had better luck than we have.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I think I'll be at least 3k in parts. The ball joints alone were $800, each u-joint is $80+.

You don't need those expensive ball joints unless you're running at least 35" tires.

Get some Moogs and call it good, same with the hub assemblies and steering assembly.

I'm currently doing all of that to my Megacab, I've had several Dodge's over the years. Only one that had 37's needed the expensive ball joints.

Depending on the year and condition of your truck, the wheel hub assembly might be a B*ITCH to get out...my driver side is currently stuck and I've tried about everything to get it out...it's heading to a shop soon I think.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J

Funny.

You’ve had better luck than we have.

You are just ignorant.....hahaha!

Up here you rebuild about every time you replace tires.

I am MAGA.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
From my past experience, I would replace with aftermarket (Moog). The stock parts just don't hold up. Part of the reason Ram trucks are cheaper to buy in the first place. They will get their money in the repairs needed later.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Memory serves correctly the worst front end for a '94 to like 2000, they have slowly improved them with every new generation. At the Cummins in a 3/4 ton and it compounds the problem then use an off-road like farm use they are very hard on front of things. Best motors in the newer stuff seems to be pretty good now but time will tell

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
724 members (10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 12308300, 11point, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 89 invisible), 2,720 guests, and 1,281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,698
Posts18,399,950
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.