Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
GrimJim Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
I am curious about shooting from a tripod. The manufacturer of the chassis I use offers an ARCA rail. I think I need a tripod and a ARCA ball head. On-line the choices are innumberable and the info scanty. I will not be doing long range shooting. I am making up for offhand shooting skills that have atrophied. Thoughts and recommendations would be appreciated.

thanks,

GrymJym

GB1

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sig Cross, Ballhead, Arca Swiss QRPlate, Tripod

I am sure you could put together a less expensive set up, but this is what I am using with the Sig Cross.

Another source if you don't like to do Amazon.

https://www.predatorhunteroutdoors....gory/hunting-shooting-tripods-ball-heads

I/ve bought 3 optics and two after market illuminators from these guys, no tax, super fast shipping.

If you are using a bolt action w/flush magazine or single shot rifle, the Bog Pod Death Grip tripod assembly can be had in both aluminum or carbon fiber. This works very well

https://www.opticsplanet.com/bog-de...clid=16550809985561446274110070301008005

ya!

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 06/12/22.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
G
GrimJim Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
geedubya, thanks for your informative reply. I considered both the Bog "Deathgrip" and the Kopfjager "Reapergrip." The foreend on my MDT LSS chassis is so small that I think I have to go with a rail. I picked a picatinny rail on the foreend and the Kopfjager 700 aluminum tripod with the "ReaperRail" head.

GrymJym

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've tried both setups - ballhead w/Arca rail and the Bog death Grip. In the end I settled on the Bog configuration. Just didn't feel that I was getting the rigidity I was after with the ballhead/arca configuration. Though, and as an afterthought, the right choice in ballhead could have changed my outcome.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Bog death grip.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Another solid option

https://hogsaddle.com/

Semper Fi
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I've used a number of different tripod rests, and as I mainly do stand hunting or do a "set", wieght is not a significant factor.

Also, in the past most of my rifles had flush magazines, so most of the time I can clamp the bog pod near the balance point.

Consequently the Death Grip has become my favorite

It seems over the last two years or so I am using more AR style rifles with extended magazines and the ball-head rail system seems preferable to using the death grip due to the ergonomics in regards to the point of attachment/support.

BTW,
The plain old Bog Pod works well when shooting out of a stand, with support for rifle fore-end. Once again I prefer rifles with no extended magazine when using this tripod.

ya!

GWB

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I bought a Triclawps a few years ago but I’ve never used it. Looks cool, though.

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
I bought a Triclawps a few years ago but I’ve never used it. Looks cool, though.

I carry one in my pack 100% of the time unless I'm on a backpack hunt. Sometimes prone isn't an option and remarkable precision can be achieved using one...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
G
GrimJim Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Thanks for all the replies. I have a Bog Pod for use with my stocked rifles in a stand. The LSS forend is so narrow and shallow that I think a Deathgrip or a ReaperGrip would clamp onto the objective of the scope. I will soon know how the picatinny rail and the ReaperRail work.

GrymJym

IC B3

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
When I first tried shooting off a tripod with a clamp mount I was all over the place. Then I had a few simple techniques shown to me by some much better shooters than me. These have made standing up shooting off a tripod with a clamp like the triclawps much more accurate. Took a little practice to get it set up in a quick fluid motion but once I got some practice I’m more accurate this way than any other field position. Hopefully these will help someone else get more accurate off a tripod too.
The first was to position the legs of the tripod so that one leg is pointing at the target directly in line with the barrel. That sets the rig up so it recoil’s straight back between two legs not into one leg bucking it up to one side or the other.
The next was after setting up the gun on the tripod use a set of tall trigger sticks to support the but stock so the gun is aimed slightly low so when you get into shooting position you apply just the slightest amount of downward cheek pressure to put the crosshairs on target.
Another little tip that made a big difference in settling the little movement vibrations was to unclip the rear swivel stud on your sling so it’s only attached and to the front swivel. Now it’s hanging over the front leg of the tripod, wrap the sling loosely around the top of that tripod leg at comfortable height to grip with your non trigger hand so if you squeeze the sling it tightens up and snugs the rifle down tightly.
Last was to use the hook on the bottom of the tripod to hang your backpack from, the extra weight does a lot to stabilize things.

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Those are fancy. When I hunt out of a ground blind. I cut a couple of sticks that are the right length and lash them together with some trotline string for a bipod rest.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Hogwild7
Those are fancy. When I hunt out of a ground blind. I cut a couple of sticks that are the right length and lash them together with some trotline string for a bipod rest.

I started with shooting stix,

and they still work, especially when weight limitations are involved,

however in my dotage.........

ya!

GWB

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Huntingfool270
When I first tried shooting off a tripod with a clamp mount I was all over the place. Then I had a few simple techniques shown to me by some much better shooters than me. These have made standing up shooting off a tripod with a clamp like the triclawps much more accurate. Took a little practice to get it set up in a quick fluid motion but once I got some practice I’m more accurate this way than any other field position. Hopefully these will help someone else get more accurate off a tripod too.
The first was to position the legs of the tripod so that one leg is pointing at the target directly in line with the barrel. That sets the rig up so it recoil’s straight back between two legs not into one leg bucking it up to one side or the other.
The next was after setting up the gun on the tripod use a set of tall trigger sticks to support the but stock so the gun is aimed slightly low so when you get into shooting position you apply just the slightest amount of downward cheek pressure to put the crosshairs on target.
Another little tip that made a big difference in settling the little movement vibrations was to unclip the rear swivel stud on your sling so it’s only attached and to the front swivel. Now it’s hanging over the front leg of the tripod, wrap the sling loosely around the top of that tripod leg at comfortable height to grip with your non trigger hand so if you squeeze the sling it tightens up and snugs the rifle down tightly.
Last was to use the hook on the bottom of the tripod to hang your backpack from, the extra weight does a lot to stabilize things.

^^^ All good tips !

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
G
GrimJim Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Thanks again for all the useful tips and sage advice.

GrymJym

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Shooting from inside a hut above the ground and having some thing hold the rifle for you does still feel like you are hunting?

It is a sincere question, not trying to poke anyone's eye.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I see hunting and shooting as two separate disciplines. Of course you want to hit what you are aiming at, but bolting a rifle into some device that holds it while you press the trigger, seems so mechanical, I fail to relate that to hunting.

I have shot 10’s of thousands of rounds over a portable bench while shooting prairie dogs, but nothing in a locked down tripod. The shooting industry is always on the hunt for a new gimmick to market and what the future holds is yet to be seen.

Hunting is vastly different than shooting, so I will stand by the act of hunting is a rifleman with a rifle and the skill to shoot it without all the gear that requires a second to carry it all.

People do it, I understand that. I just know you won’t see me doing it…

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by chamois
Shooting from inside a hut above the ground and having some thing hold the rifle for you does still feel like you are hunting?

It is a sincere question, not trying to poke anyone's eye.

Short answer…….. Yes!

Let's see, Over the last 20 years I’ve addressed this numerous times, but what the hey…….

Hunting.....

Hunting is the human practice of seeking, pursuing and capturing or killing wildlife or feral animals.[10] The most common reasons for humans to hunt are to harvest food (i.e. meat) and useful animal products (fur/hide, bone/tusks, horn/antler, etc.), for recreation/taxidermy (see trophy hunting), to remove predators dangerous to humans or domestic animals (e.g. wolf hunting), to eliminate pests and nuisance animals that damage crops/livestock/poultry or spread diseases (see varminting), for trade/tourism (see safari), or for ecological conservation against overpopulation and invasive species.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hunting

Then there is perception......

Perception: A thought, belief, or opinion, often held by many people and based on appearances:

My perception of hunting and yours may just differ!

What’s the old saying, when life hand’s you a lemon, make lemonade. Well living in Texas we may not have a ton of public land, nor the preponderance of big game species that are found in northern and western climes, but I can “go afield” or “Hunt” if you will, for some type of critter 24/7/365.

I’ve hosted a number of “Western Hunters” that after 3 days of “hunting” with me out of stands (in the Texas Hill Country) came away with a totally different view and perception than before.

BTW, stand hunting is only one facet of the way I “hunt”. I also trap and snare as well as spot and stalk. It just that stand "hunting" is a more productive and practical use of my time.

From my point of view, "Shooting from inside a hut above the ground and having some thing hold the rifle for you" can also be understood based on local custom, climate conditions, terrain, and type of "critter".

I tell folks “I shoot a lot more stuff with a camera than with a firearm”

So, take a look. I have my DSLR with a 150-600 lens that weighs about the same as a scoped rifle, set up on a tripod. Why, because it allows me to take reasonably clear, concise photos.

I called this guy "Lucky 13" He had 13 points and was about 1 year too young!

I'm set up and ready. I do not have to support an 8 lb device for the 4 to 5 hours I may sit.

Same way with a tripod. Much of my "hunting" is done at night. The temps' are much more agreeable and night is when lotsa' critters are on the move. I can be set up with my night vision streaming to a tablet and sit there for 4 or 5 hours with no problem. Don't have to worry about many shots that would be missed otherwise.

Many times I hunt with a single shot rifle. In addition, where I hunt if the critter is not DRT, and you do not find a blood trail within 10’ or so of the POI, typically you do not find your quarry.

With temps in the 90’s at night, it does not take long for the meat to go “green”. Consequently shot placement is a matter of utmost importance. I do not like to track boars at night.

I call this spot "The Canopy". Shot is 175 yds. Pigs move constantly. Nice to have a reasonably stable platform. It takes me 45 minutes to get from the stand to the POI. I do not hunt this stand at night.

Another facet...

Here are three “trash pandas” that I perforated after dark-thirty @ 163 paces while sitting in a stand with my rifle supported as mentioned above, while using night vision.

I lined up two and took them with one shot, the second shot took the third. Chances are I could not have been successful had I not used the “Death Grip” tripod in this instance.
I had recently checked my zero for the first time in a year or so and was about 6" off, before correction. That was the first opportunity to test my corrected zero and the longest shot using night vision I have taken to date. Was I jazzed, absolutely!

Anywho, perhaps you catch my drift!

Best,

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 06/16/22.

Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
I love a good tripod when doing a spot and stalk Prairie Dog hunt!

LRF binos are where I draw the line though...

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Lots of things need to be considered when discussing shooting tripods.
Sorta like saying i want to buy a fishing rod. i did say sorta. lol
But no doubt that any rest is better than no rest at least for most of us.
But thats about where the discussion can get serious.
Recoil can mean a whole lot for different types.
So choose the ball heads carefully when recoil is involved.
Follow up shots are another issue, not all are equal where they are involved.
Gun weight is another which goes along with recoil, because most choose heavier guns where recoil is involved.
Good ones dont come cheap, but they are out there.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

651 members (12344mag, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 1eyedmule, 72 invisible), 2,522 guests, and 1,254 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,683
Posts18,456,356
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.