Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
I am really liking this 6mm ARC cartridge as a deer hunting round. Much like I have been very happy with the 6mm Remington as a deer hunting round. IMHO this 6mm ARC, say in a mini action rifle offers a lot in terms of a hunting round very suitable for deer to coyote. Clearly my interest varies, perhaps drastically from the general hunting public in our country.

Last summer I started shooting the 6mm ARC in a 22" barrel Savage Axis, followed by a re-barreled CZ-527 to 6mm ARC also a 22" barrel. The CZ 527 6mm ARC was my favored rifle to take out deer hunting in November. Took my nicest deer to date on the 2nd day of season at 254 yards. Never has a deer expired any quicker.

I am also a big fan of the 17 fireball & we see where that went. Thank goodness I am a reloader. So like stated in the title, what does the fire see as the future for the 6mm ARC in the AR platform as well as a bolt action?

Last edited by Hunterapp; 06/11/22.

love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control

& Proverbs 21:19
BP-B2

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Looks to me like Grendel brass isn't going anywhere. I think the arc will be around as long as there's brass.

I wish there was more support for the .224 arc/grendel/whatever than just a few sources.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I like the ARC too, and have done the Grendel brass resize thing..cept I can`t find 6.5 brass either. Had to bite the bullet, no pun intended, and buy some loaded ARC ammo to reuse the brass. After 1 1/2 yrs, I`ve got 120 pieces.
220 Russian is a bit too much foolen around.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CGPAUL
I like the ARC too, and have done the Grendel brass resize thing..cept I can`t find 6.5 brass either. Had to bite the bullet, no pun intended, and buy some loaded ARC ammo to reuse the brass. After 1 1/2 yrs, I`ve got 120 pieces.
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt.../fs-lapua-6-5-grendel-brass#Post17338315

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt.../fs-lapua-6-5-grendel-brass#Post17338315

That really is to much. From time to time I have been buying Lapua 6.5 Grendel brass lately for roughly 1.15 per piece with shipping to my door. looks to be sold out at the moment.

Optimistic that Starline & perhaps others will be kicking out 6mm ARC brass b4 long.

love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control

IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
If I`m gentle with the stuff, it should last a while. I do like shooting the rifle/cartridge tho, and for only 28, 29 grns of powder the payback is worth it.

Guess we`ll see.

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
suppose I enjoy working up different hunting loads. Last season the 108 gr Elite hunter was in the end the load I chose to put to work & she did the trick just fine. Considering a monolithic for the coming season.

Coming season will likely be just a doe tag. Anyone care to weigh in on minimum Impact velocity for effective expansion for a Nosler 90 GR E-tip?

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Suppose it's the same for all calibers. Pulled from Noslers site.

As mild as the ARC is I would want a softer bullet.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 06/15/22.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Looks like Ill do some load work up & see if I am able to achieve a safe accurate load in my 22" bolt action. IM anticipating 2950ish muzzle velocity, though time will tell.

If I am able to achieve the 2950 then I may have fine expansion out to 250 yards. Think Ill at least give the load work up a whirl W power pro 2000 & LVR & see where we go from there. Have some factory 2nds picked up for roughly forty cents a bullet. I think this may be worth exploring a better table fair load.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Some water filled milk jugs at 2- 250 should give a clue..if you can catch a bullet.

IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Some water filled milk jugs at 2- 250 should give a clue..if you can catch a bullet.

That will be the plan to finalize the decision if this bullet is up to a 250yard hunting scenario from the 6mm ARC in my rifle & load recipe TBD.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Let us know how she went...Good Luck!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I just finished a 6x6.8 which is about identical in capacity, load data and performance to the 6 ARC. I’m planning to use it for deer & hogs, along with varmints. Crazy accurate rifle.
Concerning bullets, I agree that mono are the way to go in these smaller diameters for larger game, but I’ve decided to stay with 80 grain bullets for deer. Ttsx etc. which I’ve used for many years in others. I want a pretty good velocity to take advantage of the toughness of the bullet.
For some reason, the CX doesn’t shoot as well as the ttsx. Weatherby varmintmaster action
20.5” Bartlein barrel.
Might be tough getting 2950fps with 100+ grain bullets in the ARC.

Greg
"An abundance of information can exacerbate ignorance if the information is of poor quality" Tom Robbins
http://classicsportingguns.com/
Campfire Member
Campfire Member

That’s how I test bullet expansion too. A few wet catalogs stacked behind the milk jugs helps catch the bullets.

Greg
"An abundance of information can exacerbate ignorance if the information is of poor quality" Tom Robbins
http://classicsportingguns.com/
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Giving a 87 gr Absolute Hammer consideration as well.Though their price point does not look near as attractive, especially for target shooting. Though on game I am optimistic. That is not saying much as I am optimistic on many 6mm hunting bullets in different respects.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm building an ARC on a Savage action with a Shilen barrel. I was attracted to it since it's soooo close to the PPC that I'm interested to see what kind of groups it can achieve. All the parts are still currently in a box for now, but it should make a good winter project.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Hunterapp
Giving a 87 gr Absolute Hammer consideration as well.Though their price point does not look near as attractive, especially for target shooting. Though on game I am optimistic. That is not saying much as I am optimistic on many 6mm hunting bullets in different respects.

Left over thread from this summer... but for the 6 ARC if you can achieve 2900 fps MV, which I can also do with a 6.5 Grendel...
and I have got a 6 ARC on my want list in a Ruger American Predator, seems to me there are plenty of ideal bullets as candidates that would just fine with this cartridge....

Sierra 80 gr SP, 85 Sierra SP and HP, 100 SP, 90 and 95 Game Changers, Hornady 87 HP, SP V Max, Speer 85 SP, 90 SP, 100 SP, Nosler 80, 90, and 95 Ballistic Tip, 95 & 100 Partitions...plenty more...

at the same time, take a 243 and use IMR 4198 with 30 grains of powder and many of the same bullets I posted above would give you between 2600 to 2900 fps, if ya already got the 243.... I have used that combo a lot over the last 2 decades.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Seafire: No intrest in a howa mini?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I've got a pair of Howa Minis in 223...and I picked up the Grendel in the Ruger Predator Action, 22 inch barrel...

I like the heavier barrel weight on the Predator. Didn't like the metal Magazine on the Predator and was looking around for a polymer magazine for the 6.5 Grendel....asked Ruger and a host of other sources and was told that they didn't make one. Was over at the range and a Retired Marine buddy was there, who shoots competition strictly with Garands, M 14s and M 16s. He was in town for the weekend for a match, as he lives 110 miles or so over on the Oregon coast. I asked him about if he shot the Grendel, he said no, but tossed me a 223 polymer mag in 5 round capacity, and said "here, try this and see if that fits". Dropped in as sweet as could be, and held the 6.5 Grendel rounds with no problem... Fired 5 rounds thru it and each round fed a lot better than the Ruger Factory mag.

So I went over to Sportsman's Whorehouse and bought me five ten round polymer mags, for $8.00 a piece with my military discount. From Ruger a 10 round mag would cost me $50 each, and it would be another metal one.

So right there are the reasons, I'd pick the Ruger American, over the Howa Mini....for the Grendel and the 6 ARC.

With a sample of one, the Predator in the Grendel, is more accurate with everything I feed it, than my Howa Minis are in 223. Actually originally I bought 3 Howa Minis from Whitakers, which came with consecutive serial numbers, when they were available for like $300 each from Darryl. I wanted two for myself, and the third was a gift for another Retired Marine Buddy who is disabled, and exists on a limited income, who is in his early 40s. That is his main rifle for Oregon Deer Hunting...although I am sure he'd like the Grendel as an upgrade...But an 80 ELD or a 75 BTHP from Hornady does just fine taking down Oregon Blacktail for James each year with that Howa Mini...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I built an AR upper for my kid in 6ARC. It worked great and is probably the most accurate upper I have. My -80# kid shoots it really well, this year she watched her buck drop in the scope, as recoil is nil.

The AR recommended pressures are lower, and with the powders I would prefer to use the velocity is pretty anemic. It’s crazy how much higher the velocity can be at safe pressures With CFE or lever velocotoes are way higher than Varget or 8208. I used 8208 and 108’s at 2440 out of an 18” barrel. For long range it drops to about 1800fps at ~500 yards depending on elevation. It shoots fantastic at 600 yards though.

I thought about doing a bolt gun but on anything other than a mini action am concerned about feeding issues due to the short case. Similar to the 6br issues folks have sometimes on a std short action. I’m thinking I will just go with a 6cm on a tikka.

Basically I think it’s hamstrung by lack of temp stable powder options with good velocity. And potentially feeding problems in std short bolt actions.

I don’t think it’s going to to wind up a super popular commercial success.

Sean
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
703 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 222ND, 72 invisible), 2,787 guests, and 1,321 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,632
Posts18,398,825
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.