Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Maybe he needs to start the bear, then do nothing for a second or two to simulate wondering "what the hell is that noise?" Then a second or two of looking over his shoulder to try and identify what's happening. Then a second or two to overcome the "oh shyt" response. Then pull the gun.

I think if I were in an area where there was a serious threat of a grizzly attack, I'd carry two handguns. My Redhawk 8 shot .357 in a chest rig, and my Glock 20 10mm on my hip. So when I draw my Ruger while I'm simultaneously [bleep] myself, and drop my Ruger, I'll at least have another gun to draw. I might even carry a 3rd, my SP101, in my belt on the small of my back. As tough as a grizzly is, I'm pretty sure they can't bite through a SP101.

Last edited by 10Glocks; 06/16/22.
BP-B2

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
The single action has been known for a very long time to be quite easy to draw, cock, and accurately fire the first shot at least on par with a semi-auto pistol.

That from a guy too paranoid to flip a safety off? smirk

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by MOGC
There are a heck of a lot of people that carry handguns for self defense that probably have less experience than the guy in the video and they think they are "good enough." Fortunately they seldom actually have to use their gun and they manage to get by without shooting themselves in the foot and then being killed by a bad guy or eaten by a bear.

I think that is more the norm than not. I''d say it is close to 90% of the people who think they can kill a charging bear.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by JOG
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
The single action has been known for a very long time to be quite easy to draw, cock, and accurately fire the first shot at least on par with a semi-auto pistol.

That from a guy too paranoid to flip a safety off? smirk
Not sure what you mean. I've been carrying 1911s off and on since the early 1980s. My current daily carry is a Commander style 1911.

All I've ever said was that there's less to possibly go wrong if it's not there, such as with a Glock. I don't see how that's even arguable. Doesn't mean I will only carry a Glock, though. Just means I need to put in the work to build that muscle memory for deactivating the safety on the draw.

If you don't want to worry about that, then there are Glocks and the like. Those are excellent guns, and I've carried them often over the years, too.

What in the world could paranoia have to do with that debate?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
https://www.ammoland.com/2021/06/ha...medium=copy_link&utm_source=bookmark

If I can get this link to work...interesting running list of bear stoppages by handguns.

Yep seems to work.

Last edited by LeakyWaders; 06/16/22.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Oh geez another "simulated bear attack" video.

Meh.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

T
tcp Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by 10Glocks
Maybe he needs to start the bear, then do nothing for a second or two to simulate wondering "what the hell is that noise?" Then a second or two of looking over his shoulder to try and identify what's happening. Then a second or two to overcome the "oh shyt" response. Then pull the gun.

This was exactly my experience. Had the bear wanted to get me it definitely would have. If you busy engaged in some other activity like fishing you better hope that it the bear gives you a warning huff.

I am no expert but the one "event" I had was eye opening.

If you can't be a good example, may you at least serve as a dreadful warning
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I can almost guarantee two things about the people that think shooting at a moving target like this is a joke, one, they've never tried it, and two, they've never posted a video of them shooting on YouTube.

Shooting at irregularly moving targets, and or shooting from a moving platform, are difficult at best. He was ready to draw and got four shots off with the Glock. Like others have said if he wasn't ready, maybe one shot, maybe. Which questions capacity vs. power. If you only make contact with one shot, should it be a .454? To each his own, I think it was a simple test of pistol options and results.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
What I think about is.... Even if I didn't get a shot off before being knocked down...How many shots could I get into it while holding onto the pistol with one hand.... especially at mere inches apart.... hopefully I'd be holding onto a 10mm semi pistol... couldn't miss then...LOL

Forgive My Sins Jesus, Save My Soul
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Can we please put our thinking caps on?

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation"
"Dangerous Game Hunting........because golf, football and baseball only require one ball"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Good grief.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mountain10mm
I can almost guarantee two things about the people that think shooting at a moving target like this is a joke, one, they've never tried it, and two, they've never posted a video of them shooting on YouTube.

Shooting at irregularly moving targets, and or shooting from a moving platform, are difficult at best. He was ready to draw and got four shots off with the Glock. Like others have said if he wasn't ready, maybe one shot, maybe. Which questions capacity vs. power. If you only make contact with one shot, should it be a .454? To each his own, I think it was a simple test of pistol options and results.

The joke isn't because we think it's easy

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
A video of someone who can't shoot for Jack [bleep]! The man needs to shoot more period end of story! A great way to practice is with cans. You shoot the can and make it fly than touch it off the second it hits the ground again. Get good at it and you'll put a bullet thru the brain pan of a charging bear so fast it'll make its head spin clean off.

Trystan

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Trystan
A video of someone who can't shoot for Jack [bleep]! The man needs to shoot more period end of story! A great way to practice is with cans. You shoot the can and make it fly than touch it off the second it hits the ground again. Get good at it and you'll put a bullet thru the brain pan of a charging bear so fast it'll make its head spin clean off.

Trystan

The “wax on/wax off” off approach.

Interesting.

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by Trystan

Trystan

The “wax on/wax off” off approach.

Interesting.

Paint da fence.....sand da floor.... If stand in front of charging bear, squish....just like grape....

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Paint da fence.....sand da floor.... If stand in front of charging bear, squish....just like grape....

[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by FreeMe

Good grief.

That's a good one for sure.

LOL

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I'm sure that Allen realized that he would get NO shots off with a rifled weapon if it were slung on the shoulder in that short time frame.... so he had to use those weapons in a ready position... which also means.... that if he did the pistols in a ready position... then he might have gotten off twice the amount of rounds.... so that sounds like it favors the pistols in both situations.... ready or non-ready.

Forgive My Sins Jesus, Save My Soul
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Looked like the 44 mag were stout loads. He didn't say what the loads were.
(factory 240+ grain at 1200-1300 fps??).

The 10 mm loads were likely lighter (200 grains at maybe 1000 fps ??)

How about a less-stout 44 mag load of 250-280 grain hard cast at 1000-1100 fps? Should be less recovery time, and better results ( more hits, or at least hits made in "kill zone"?). Barrel length may be as big a factor as the load ( shortter-to a point - is quicker to draw). Maybe a 4" barreled 44 mag with 260 grain hard cast at 1000-1100 fps would be a good combo.

Another factor would be the grip ergonomics. The small, round Redhawk grips are in the "lousy " side of ergonomics, while the Glock grip would be higher on the scale for "pointability". Maybe some Pachmayr Gripper grips or Hogues on the Redhawk for improved pointability (=more or improved hits)?

Would be interesting to see the shooter facing away from the bear, wearing his coat, and holding firewood in arms. When the sled starts, the driver yells "Bear!" ...then have shooter drop firewood, turn, draw and shoot. The current scenario is gives the shooter time to be mentally ready.

I get it. It isn't the most scientific "study", but it was fun, entertaining and well-intentioned. Thanks to the shooter for making it, and for the other guy for posting it. It boils down to, "You play the way you
practice.". He's practicing.

A long barreled, strong recoiling single action? That will be a challenge for sure, even with practice.

30+ years ago, a local gun club set up a running deer target (on a tight cable). Distance was variable, but ranged from 30-100 yards, depending where they had you shoot. You could take 3 shots. It was fun, good practice, and very revealing. If you don't practice a certain condition/shot, you are not maximizing the opportunity. I don't normally shoot at running deer, but I am better at it if I have to as a result of that running deer shooting set up (and it was fun).

I enjoyed this cardboard bear charging video. I'd like to try it with my 4" S&W 629, "just because." Practice is a good thing.

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
714 members (12308300, 160user, 11point, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 91 invisible), 2,717 guests, and 1,295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,696
Posts18,399,917
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.