Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Even Jerry Miculek isn’t this fast and this is a single action revolver…
Impressive.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
GB1

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
By the way, I doubt that Wyatt Earp's skills with a single action revolver were anything outstanding. He was likely a competent shot with them, but what set him apart was mainly his steely nerves in a gun fight.

Thanks for checking in.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by deflave
By the way, I doubt that Wyatt Earp's skills with a single action revolver were anything outstanding. He was likely a competent shot with them, but what set him apart was mainly his steely nerves in a gun fight.

Thanks for checking in.
Have I said something to offend you lately, Deflave? I'm sensing subtle hostility.

[Linked Image from images7.memedroid.com]
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Thanks for checking in.
Have I said something to offend you lately, Deflave? I'm sensing subtle hostility.

Offended? No.

Stupid? Yes.

Your handgun IQ should be higher than it is.

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Offended? No.

Stupid? Yes.

I see.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Even Jerry Miculek isn’t this fast and this is a single action revolver…

Black powder blank on close range ballons and starting with a shooting grip?

That's not got much to do with fighting grizzlies.

Offended? No.

Stupid? Yes.

I see.

LOL.

North Florida Man and South Florida Man talking handguns for Grizzlies.

Okay. shocked

Last edited by JohnBurns; 06/23/22.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Captain Forehead got sick of Fubarski proving he was a tax fraud.

LOL

Everyone brace yourself for all the all forehead and teeth hour.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A semi auto 10mm just has to be a part of everyone's protection no matter what, because even if your big bore rifle or handgun didn't do their job during the initial attack, then you can still empty the 15 round mag into the bear with a one handed grip while it's trying to claw and bite you body parts.... you surely couldn't miss at that close range. You can do a lot of shooting during those seconds of remaining life. If those 15 rounds didn't stop it... then you could simply say... Yes, Lord, I did my best... here I come.

Forgive My Sins Jesus, Save My Soul
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Leave it to Wyatt to turn to hollywood

IC B3

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A semi in a chest holster would have changed the outcome.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by TWR
Leave it to Wyatt to turn to hollywood
I know. I'm such a woke liberal.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by DanBrothers
A semi in a chest holster would have changed the outcome.

I used a 475 Linebaugh in 1988 to stop a grizzly that came in on me when I was working a moose kill. I only needed 1 shot

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I seem to remember a similar sled test for PH's in Africa? Might have just been someone else's test like this but with big bore rifles. Dunno.

As to what's faster, I'm not an AK resident or visitor (as much as I'd like to be) - I doubt I'll ever have to know.

The fact he is, at the least, trying things out - thinking, practicing - likely a ton more than most will ever do so there's that. Interesting video. We once did something similar but left to right with a deer cut out - see which of those who claim "hit that deer running at 150 yards" could do so at 50. Not many did, certainly not a vitals hit. That was safe.

No expert on bears but I'd be curious to know from others - say you do hit the bear with shot one, it's not CNS - what are the odds it keeps coming? I hunted black bear, tracked in the bush and come across it not yet dead. When I shot again - it moved away from gunfire and not towards it. Would grizz just go head down and ignore or would they likely turn? I don't know. How committed are they to the attack -on average?

Me

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Teal
I seem to remember a similar sled test for PH's in Africa? Might have just been someone else's test like this but with big bore rifles. Dunno.

As to what's faster, I'm not an AK resident or visitor (as much as I'd like to be) - I doubt I'll ever have to know.

The fact he is, at the least, trying things out - thinking, practicing - likely a ton more than most will ever do so there's that. Interesting video. We once did something similar but left to right with a deer cut out - see which of those who claim "hit that deer running at 150 yards" could do so at 50. Not many did, certainly not a vitals hit. That was safe.

No expert on bears but I'd be curious to know from others - say you do hit the bear with shot one, it's not CNS - what are the odds it keeps coming? I hunted black bear, tracked in the bush and come across it not yet dead. When I shot again - it moved away from gunfire and not towards it. Would grizz just go head down and ignore or would they likely turn? I don't know. How committed are they to the attack -on average?

Grizzly bears usually react to being hit, but recover from that reaction extremely fast. Notice that the 900 pound grizzly that Phil Shoemaker killed with a 9mm reacted to every shot fired into him.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Grizzly bears usually react to being hit, but recover from that reaction extremely fast. Notice that the 900 pound grizzly that Phil Shoemaker killed with a 9mm reacted to every shot fired into him.[/quote]

Yes the reaction may give you a pause for better shot placement

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I'm going to get a Glock 20 10mm... 15 rounds and the safety is quickly disengaged with the trigger pull. The safety being in the trigger is what sold me. I sure didn't want to be fumbling with a safety during a panic attack.

Here is Allen again with his charging bear and Desert Eagle Buddy.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Here is an interesting article that has some good real world research.

Documents 104 individual cases of handguns being used for defense against bears.

Handguns against bears

The claim was made in good faith. There was no response. I and colleagues started searching for cases where the use of pistols, as a defense against bears, was not successful. They were very difficult to find. There was a large amount of fantasy, myth, and conjecture, but little-documented fact.

Sixteen months later, in 2018, I published the first of this series. We found one failure out of 37 documented cases. That translated to a 97% success rate. Three years later, we have found two more failures, out of 104 documented cases. The success rate remains at 97%.

Problems of access to defensive tools against bears are similar to pistols or handguns, long guns, edged weapons, bear spray, or air horns.

Only cases where the pistol was actually fired are included. If the study were about bear spray, only cases where bear spray was actually sprayed would be included.

We include every case where a pistol was fired in a defensive action against a bear, which we can document. We look for names, dates, and locations. The provenance of the information is included in each case. Most cases have links to Internet sources. Some are referenced to books or other print publications. A few are from direct interviews of the people involved.

I think the G20 makes a lot of sense for general defense against bears. Bear hunting I would and have used .45 Long Colt/350gr WLN.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Yet you called it a "Long Colt" whistle

I don't care, just poking, but does it use a clip or a magazine. grin

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by gunzo
Yet you called it a "Long Colt" whistle

I don't care, just poking, but does it use a clip or a magazine. grin

Ummm, neither. It's a revolver round.

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation"
"Dangerous Game Hunting........because golf, football and baseball only require one ball"
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (1OntarioJim, 1234, 11point, 160user, 10ring1, 219 Wasp, 69 invisible), 2,989 guests, and 1,214 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,335
Posts18,468,659
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.