Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I just came across this Guy's charging bear testing system and thought you Guys might enjoy it... he even has another video of doing it with rifles and shotguns... it's a true eye opener as to how many accurate shots that might be possible during a 2-3 second charge.

Forgive My Sins Jesus, Save My Soul
GB1

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Uhhhhh…

Let’s stop and think about this.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Very interesting. About what I would expect. I only watched it once very quickly so I could have missed something.....but....

One thing I didn't hear him mention was speed of draw. It certainly looked quicker getting the Glock into play. Quicker draw moving a shorter barrel from a holster with an easier to access grip. Would be interesting to see the same done with handgun already in hand.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
His rifle test....

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
There may be some validity to what he is doing, but that is mostly an entertainment video. Standing at ready with your rifle in hand is not a real life bear encounter. The bear approaching him at that speed is likely real time, but without the rifle in hand and ready to fire, he would have been a sandwich for that bear.

Snowshoes on hard pack takes some seriousness out of what he is doing, it is easy to be critical, but he makes it even easier...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
That's exactly the results that anyone who has any common sense would expect. Jerry Miculek would of done better with the revolver, same for the auto.

Life is good live it while you can.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
4 minutes is all i could watch.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by DanBrothers
I just came across this Guy's charging bear testing system and thought you Guys might enjoy it... he even has another video of doing it with rifles and shotguns... it's a true eye opener as to how many accurate shots that might be possible during a 2-3 second charge.

I figured he'd only get one shot off with the single action, but there's no excuse for that one shot being so inaccurate. The single action has been known for a very long time to be quite easy to draw, cock, and accurately fire the first shot at least on par with a semi-auto pistol.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

I figured he'd only get one shot off with the single action, but there's no excuse for that one shot being so inaccurate. The single action has been known for a very long time to be quite easy to draw, cock, and accurately fire the first shot at least on par with a semi-auto pistol.

Really?

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Yes. You cock as you draw, so that factor shouldn't slow you down in getting that first sight picture. The trigger pull is certainly not the issue, as it's light and crisp. It's having to then cock again for subsequent shots that slows you down vs a semi-auto. For the first shot, though, you should be on par, if you know how to draw, cock, and shoot a single action revolver.

IC B3

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
When à grizzly came in on me working à moose kill I used a 475 Linebaugh, 1 shot is all I fired and that was that

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Pretty obvious he has little experience with a revolver. But I can't fault him for putting up an entertainment video.

If you don't practice with a big bore revolver then you are going to suck. And he sucks.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
He sucks....??? I'm not so sure... after all... he is drawing from a holster and then shooting at a charging target... that is a real life test. His first videos where stationary paper targets, but that wasn't real life testing so he rigged up this system. I think the actual time from the first shot to the last shot is pretty short.

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
He sucks....??? I'm not so sure... after all... he is drawing from a holster and then shooting at a charging target... that is a real life test. His first videos where stationary paper targets, but that wasn't real life testing so he rigged up this system. I think the actual time from the first shot to the last shot is pretty short.
Well then you suck too.
A revolver is easy to shoot fast with a little practice - and he's never practiced. A heavy chunk of steel like that Redhawk makes 44mag very controllable.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There are a heck of a lot of people that carry handguns for self defense that probably have less experience than the guy in the video and they think they are "good enough." Fortunately they seldom actually have to use their gun and they manage to get by without shooting themselves in the foot and then being killed by a bad guy or eaten by a bear.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
More of a holster test than types of handguns.

The top of the Glock holster approx. 3" lower, plus the shorter barrel obviously offering a faster draw.

Then the apples to water melon's of shooting a 10 against a 44 mag. A 200(?) @ 1150 vs. a 240(?) @ 1400. Why not a 10mm revolver?

Another BS mismatched test.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
- Ad sponsored by Clearasil ™

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
LOL.... I think he was just testing himself to see what he could actually do if a Kodiak bear charged him while working on that island.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
LOL.... I think he was just testing himself to see what he could actually do if a Kodiak bear charged him while working on that island.
Or about anywhere else in Alaska.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Maybe he needs to start the bear, then do nothing for a second or two to simulate wondering "what the hell is that noise?" Then a second or two of looking over his shoulder to try and identify what's happening. Then a second or two to overcome the "oh shyt" response. Then pull the gun.

I think if I were in an area where there was a serious threat of a grizzly attack, I'd carry two handguns. My Redhawk 8 shot .357 in a chest rig, and my Glock 20 10mm on my hip. So when I draw my Ruger while I'm simultaneously [bleep] myself, and drop my Ruger, I'll at least have another gun to draw. I might even carry a 3rd, my SP101, in my belt on the small of my back. As tough as a grizzly is, I'm pretty sure they can't bite through a SP101.

Last edited by 10Glocks; 06/16/22.
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The single action has been known for a very long time to be quite easy to draw, cock, and accurately fire the first shot at least on par with a semi-auto pistol.

That from a guy too paranoid to flip a safety off? smirk

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by MOGC
There are a heck of a lot of people that carry handguns for self defense that probably have less experience than the guy in the video and they think they are "good enough." Fortunately they seldom actually have to use their gun and they manage to get by without shooting themselves in the foot and then being killed by a bad guy or eaten by a bear.

I think that is more the norm than not. I''d say it is close to 90% of the people who think they can kill a charging bear.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by JOG
The single action has been known for a very long time to be quite easy to draw, cock, and accurately fire the first shot at least on par with a semi-auto pistol.

That from a guy too paranoid to flip a safety off? smirk
Not sure what you mean. I've been carrying 1911s off and on since the early 1980s. My current daily carry is a Commander style 1911.

All I've ever said was that there's less to possibly go wrong if it's not there, such as with a Glock. I don't see how that's even arguable. Doesn't mean I will only carry a Glock, though. Just means I need to put in the work to build that muscle memory for deactivating the safety on the draw.

If you don't want to worry about that, then there are Glocks and the like. Those are excellent guns, and I've carried them often over the years, too.

What in the world could paranoia have to do with that debate?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
https://www.ammoland.com/2021/06/ha...medium=copy_link&utm_source=bookmark

If I can get this link to work...interesting running list of bear stoppages by handguns.

Yep seems to work.

Last edited by LeakyWaders; 06/16/22.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Oh geez another "simulated bear attack" video.

Meh.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

T
tcp Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by 10Glocks
Maybe he needs to start the bear, then do nothing for a second or two to simulate wondering "what the hell is that noise?" Then a second or two of looking over his shoulder to try and identify what's happening. Then a second or two to overcome the "oh shyt" response. Then pull the gun.

This was exactly my experience. Had the bear wanted to get me it definitely would have. If you busy engaged in some other activity like fishing you better hope that it the bear gives you a warning huff.

I am no expert but the one "event" I had was eye opening.

If you can't be a good example, may you at least serve as a dreadful warning
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I can almost guarantee two things about the people that think shooting at a moving target like this is a joke, one, they've never tried it, and two, they've never posted a video of them shooting on YouTube.

Shooting at irregularly moving targets, and or shooting from a moving platform, are difficult at best. He was ready to draw and got four shots off with the Glock. Like others have said if he wasn't ready, maybe one shot, maybe. Which questions capacity vs. power. If you only make contact with one shot, should it be a .454? To each his own, I think it was a simple test of pistol options and results.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
What I think about is.... Even if I didn't get a shot off before being knocked down...How many shots could I get into it while holding onto the pistol with one hand.... especially at mere inches apart.... hopefully I'd be holding onto a 10mm semi pistol... couldn't miss then...LOL

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Can we please put our thinking caps on?

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation"
"Dangerous Game Hunting........because golf, football and baseball only require one ball"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Good grief.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mountain10mm
I can almost guarantee two things about the people that think shooting at a moving target like this is a joke, one, they've never tried it, and two, they've never posted a video of them shooting on YouTube.

Shooting at irregularly moving targets, and or shooting from a moving platform, are difficult at best. He was ready to draw and got four shots off with the Glock. Like others have said if he wasn't ready, maybe one shot, maybe. Which questions capacity vs. power. If you only make contact with one shot, should it be a .454? To each his own, I think it was a simple test of pistol options and results.

The joke isn't because we think it's easy

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
A video of someone who can't shoot for Jack [bleep]! The man needs to shoot more period end of story! A great way to practice is with cans. You shoot the can and make it fly than touch it off the second it hits the ground again. Get good at it and you'll put a bullet thru the brain pan of a charging bear so fast it'll make its head spin clean off.

Trystan

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Trystan
A video of someone who can't shoot for Jack [bleep]! The man needs to shoot more period end of story! A great way to practice is with cans. You shoot the can and make it fly than touch it off the second it hits the ground again. Get good at it and you'll put a bullet thru the brain pan of a charging bear so fast it'll make its head spin clean off.

Trystan

The “wax on/wax off” off approach.

Interesting.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by deflave

Trystan

Interesting.

Paint da fence.....sand da floor.... If stand in front of charging bear, squish....just like grape....

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Paint da fence.....sand da floor.... If stand in front of charging bear, squish....just like grape....

[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by FreeMe

Good grief.

That's a good one for sure.

LOL

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I'm sure that Allen realized that he would get NO shots off with a rifled weapon if it were slung on the shoulder in that short time frame.... so he had to use those weapons in a ready position... which also means.... that if he did the pistols in a ready position... then he might have gotten off twice the amount of rounds.... so that sounds like it favors the pistols in both situations.... ready or non-ready.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Looked like the 44 mag were stout loads. He didn't say what the loads were.
(factory 240+ grain at 1200-1300 fps??).

The 10 mm loads were likely lighter (200 grains at maybe 1000 fps ??)

How about a less-stout 44 mag load of 250-280 grain hard cast at 1000-1100 fps? Should be less recovery time, and better results ( more hits, or at least hits made in "kill zone"?). Barrel length may be as big a factor as the load ( shortter-to a point - is quicker to draw). Maybe a 4" barreled 44 mag with 260 grain hard cast at 1000-1100 fps would be a good combo.

Another factor would be the grip ergonomics. The small, round Redhawk grips are in the "lousy " side of ergonomics, while the Glock grip would be higher on the scale for "pointability". Maybe some Pachmayr Gripper grips or Hogues on the Redhawk for improved pointability (=more or improved hits)?

Would be interesting to see the shooter facing away from the bear, wearing his coat, and holding firewood in arms. When the sled starts, the driver yells "Bear!" ...then have shooter drop firewood, turn, draw and shoot. The current scenario is gives the shooter time to be mentally ready.

I get it. It isn't the most scientific "study", but it was fun, entertaining and well-intentioned. Thanks to the shooter for making it, and for the other guy for posting it. It boils down to, "You play the way you
practice.". He's practicing.

A long barreled, strong recoiling single action? That will be a challenge for sure, even with practice.

30+ years ago, a local gun club set up a running deer target (on a tight cable). Distance was variable, but ranged from 30-100 yards, depending where they had you shoot. You could take 3 shots. It was fun, good practice, and very revealing. If you don't practice a certain condition/shot, you are not maximizing the opportunity. I don't normally shoot at running deer, but I am better at it if I have to as a result of that running deer shooting set up (and it was fun).

I enjoyed this cardboard bear charging video. I'd like to try it with my 4" S&W 629, "just because." Practice is a good thing.

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M

Trystan

Post up a video of you doing this Trystan.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Ten years ago the jackrabbit population in southwest North Dakota exploded in numbers. We would do walkabouts carrying ammo and water. Tons of 45 colt were expended. It sure taught us to hit and miss with our 45s. We just shot our normal load which is a 310gr
Keith at 1200 fps. Really a lot of fun and ever since I’ve wanted a belt fed single action.
We only took shots at running jacks by the way as a sitting jack was just killing and pretty easy unless they were a ways out.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
He needed to do comparable holsters and barrel lengths to have a reasonable comparison. The kydex holster with the Glock is an advantage

PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Campfire Outfitter
Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
Can we please put our thinking caps on?
lol

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Yes. You cock as you draw, so that factor shouldn't slow you down in getting that first sight picture. The trigger pull is certainly not the issue, as it's light and crisp. It's having to then cock again for subsequent shots that slows you down vs a semi-auto. For the first shot, though, you should be on par, if you know how to draw, cock, and shoot a single action revolver.

I'd love to see you demonstrate that.

Specifics on distance, target size, holster, chambering, and load data would be UBER.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I am waiting on Trystan to show us his incredible speed shooting demo, and show us how he is so good he can "put a bullet thru the brain pan of a charging bear so fast it'll make its head spin clean off. "

Trystan

Hawkeye's single action demo should be fun to watch too.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

Specifics on distance, target size, holster, chambering, and load data would be UBER.
I wouldn't think you'd need someone to prove to you that you could cock a single action revolver on the draw (at some point before it's brought up to eye level), and that it has a nice crisp trigger. What part of what I said seems controversial to you?

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Trystan

Post up a video that demonstrates your prowess, hero.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

I wouldn't think you'd need someone to prove to you that you could cock a single action revolver on the draw (at some point before it's brought up to eye level), and that it has a nice crisp trigger. What part of what I said seems controversial to you?

Your ability to do it.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Your ability to do it.
Well, by golly. Who can't do that? Have you guys ever fired a single action revolver? It's no trick at all to cock it during the draw stroke. It's the most natural thing in the world. This is a most peculiar series of posts.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
TRH, you are being purposefully obtuse. You know exactly the point they are making.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Although Glocks were not on the scene at the time, Elmer said nothing is faster "for the first shot than a single action". I am not a fast draw guy at all, but the little bit I have done, the old single action, seemed easier to get my hand comfortably in position than either the double action or auto. BUT I have been shooting single actions for 60 years, not so with autos. Just a thought.

Molon Labe
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by MOGC
TRH, you are being purposefully obtuse. You know exactly the point they are making.
No, but if you do, please clarify.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Elmer was a good guy but he was just flat wrong about some things.

TRH is a good guy and it's unlikely he's being obtuse. And if (per the treehouse club rules here) you have to have a youtube account to disagree with youtube content, you'd probably have to have a youtube, instagram, tik-tok and fans-only accounts to be downright obtuse. And I sorta doubt TRH has the tik-tok account wink

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Your ability to do it.
Well, by golly. Who can't do that? Have you guys ever fired a single action revolver? It's no trick at all to cock it during the draw stroke. It's the most natural thing in the world. This is a most peculiar series of posts.

Sure thing, Wyatt.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Feel free to call me Wyatt, Deflave. grin I'll take it.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
1. I'll follow JWP's advice on the topic of handguns every time
2. If TRH says he can do it, I believe him. He may be a lot of things, but his integrity here is pretty solid.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Even Jerry Miculek isn’t this fast and this is a single action revolver…

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
By the way, I doubt that Wyatt Earp's skills with a single action revolver were anything outstanding. He was likely a competent shot with them, but what set him apart was mainly his steely nerves in a gun fight.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Cisko, Miculek, Bob Munden when he was alive - they'd fill that bear full of lead before I even reached for and fumbled around with my hammer strap. blush laugh

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Impressive.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
By the way, I doubt that Wyatt Earp's skills with a single action revolver were anything outstanding. He was likely a competent shot with them, but what set him apart was mainly his steely nerves in a gun fight.

Thanks for checking in.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

Thanks for checking in.
Have I said something to offend you lately, Deflave? I'm sensing subtle hostility.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Thanks for checking in.
Have I said something to offend you lately, Deflave? I'm sensing subtle hostility.

Offended? No.

Stupid? Yes.

Your handgun IQ should be higher than it is.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Offended? No.

Stupid? Yes.

I see.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Black powder blank on close range ballons and starting with a shooting grip?

That's not got much to do with fighting grizzlies.

Offended? No.

Stupid? Yes.

I see.

LOL.

North Florida Man and South Florida Man talking handguns for Grizzlies.

Okay. shocked

Last edited by JohnBurns; 06/23/22.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Captain Forehead got sick of Fubarski proving he was a tax fraud.

LOL

Everyone brace yourself for all the all forehead and teeth hour.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A semi auto 10mm just has to be a part of everyone's protection no matter what, because even if your big bore rifle or handgun didn't do their job during the initial attack, then you can still empty the 15 round mag into the bear with a one handed grip while it's trying to claw and bite you body parts.... you surely couldn't miss at that close range. You can do a lot of shooting during those seconds of remaining life. If those 15 rounds didn't stop it... then you could simply say... Yes, Lord, I did my best... here I come.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Leave it to Wyatt to turn to hollywood

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A semi in a chest holster would have changed the outcome.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by TWR
Leave it to Wyatt to turn to hollywood
I know. I'm such a woke liberal.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I used a 475 Linebaugh in 1988 to stop a grizzly that came in on me when I was working a moose kill. I only needed 1 shot

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I seem to remember a similar sled test for PH's in Africa? Might have just been someone else's test like this but with big bore rifles. Dunno.

As to what's faster, I'm not an AK resident or visitor (as much as I'd like to be) - I doubt I'll ever have to know.

The fact he is, at the least, trying things out - thinking, practicing - likely a ton more than most will ever do so there's that. Interesting video. We once did something similar but left to right with a deer cut out - see which of those who claim "hit that deer running at 150 yards" could do so at 50. Not many did, certainly not a vitals hit. That was safe.

No expert on bears but I'd be curious to know from others - say you do hit the bear with shot one, it's not CNS - what are the odds it keeps coming? I hunted black bear, tracked in the bush and come across it not yet dead. When I shot again - it moved away from gunfire and not towards it. Would grizz just go head down and ignore or would they likely turn? I don't know. How committed are they to the attack -on average?

Me

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Teal
I seem to remember a similar sled test for PH's in Africa? Might have just been someone else's test like this but with big bore rifles. Dunno.

As to what's faster, I'm not an AK resident or visitor (as much as I'd like to be) - I doubt I'll ever have to know.

The fact he is, at the least, trying things out - thinking, practicing - likely a ton more than most will ever do so there's that. Interesting video. We once did something similar but left to right with a deer cut out - see which of those who claim "hit that deer running at 150 yards" could do so at 50. Not many did, certainly not a vitals hit. That was safe.

No expert on bears but I'd be curious to know from others - say you do hit the bear with shot one, it's not CNS - what are the odds it keeps coming? I hunted black bear, tracked in the bush and come across it not yet dead. When I shot again - it moved away from gunfire and not towards it. Would grizz just go head down and ignore or would they likely turn? I don't know. How committed are they to the attack -on average?

Grizzly bears usually react to being hit, but recover from that reaction extremely fast. Notice that the 900 pound grizzly that Phil Shoemaker killed with a 9mm reacted to every shot fired into him.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Grizzly bears usually react to being hit, but recover from that reaction extremely fast. Notice that the 900 pound grizzly that Phil Shoemaker killed with a 9mm reacted to every shot fired into him.[/quote]

Yes the reaction may give you a pause for better shot placement

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I'm going to get a Glock 20 10mm... 15 rounds and the safety is quickly disengaged with the trigger pull. The safety being in the trigger is what sold me. I sure didn't want to be fumbling with a safety during a panic attack.

Here is Allen again with his charging bear and Desert Eagle Buddy.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Here is an interesting article that has some good real world research.

Documents 104 individual cases of handguns being used for defense against bears.

Handguns against bears

The claim was made in good faith. There was no response. I and colleagues started searching for cases where the use of pistols, as a defense against bears, was not successful. They were very difficult to find. There was a large amount of fantasy, myth, and conjecture, but little-documented fact.

Sixteen months later, in 2018, I published the first of this series. We found one failure out of 37 documented cases. That translated to a 97% success rate. Three years later, we have found two more failures, out of 104 documented cases. The success rate remains at 97%.

Problems of access to defensive tools against bears are similar to pistols or handguns, long guns, edged weapons, bear spray, or air horns.

Only cases where the pistol was actually fired are included. If the study were about bear spray, only cases where bear spray was actually sprayed would be included.

We include every case where a pistol was fired in a defensive action against a bear, which we can document. We look for names, dates, and locations. The provenance of the information is included in each case. Most cases have links to Internet sources. Some are referenced to books or other print publications. A few are from direct interviews of the people involved.

I think the G20 makes a lot of sense for general defense against bears. Bear hunting I would and have used .45 Long Colt/350gr WLN.

John Burns

I have all the sources.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Yet you called it a "Long Colt" whistle

I don't care, just poking, but does it use a clip or a magazine. grin

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by gunzo
Yet you called it a "Long Colt" whistle

I don't care, just poking, but does it use a clip or a magazine. grin

Ummm, neither. It's a revolver round.

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation"
"Dangerous Game Hunting........because golf, football and baseball only require one ball"
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
It ain't complicated.

Cowboy guns shoot the 45 round Colt. Army guns shoot the 45 square Colt.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
PS There's a reason for it being called Long Colt, even though that's not technically its designation. It goes back to a period when the US Army had adopted two main revolvers, the S&W Schofield (chambered in .45 Schofield) and the Colt SAA (chambered in .45 Colt).

The problem was that the .45 Schofield was identical to the .45 Colt, other than case length (it was a bit shorter), so they were one-way-compatible only. Thus logistical problems arose when orders for more ammo were delivered to headquarters. If they asked for .45 Schofield and received .45 Colt, they'd be out of luck, because they wouldn't chamber in the Schofield revolver, so the habit developed of referring to .45 Colt as .45 Long Colt, in order to address the confusion.

Eventually the problem was solved by only ordering .45 Schofield ammo, which would operate in both revolvers, but the tradition of referring to .45 Colt as Long Colt had already been established, and the folks who had been in the military during that confusing period continued to use that terminology upon rejoining civilian life, so by that means it came to be established in common practice.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
PS There's a reason for it being called Long Colt, even though that's not technically its designation. It goes back to a period when the US Army had adopted two main revolvers, the S&W Schofield (chambered in .45 Schofield) and the Colt SAA (chambered in .45 Colt).

The problem was that the .45 Schofield was identical to the .45 Colt, other than case length (it was a bit shorter), so they were one-way-compatible only. Thus logistical problems arose when orders for more ammo were delivered to headquarters. If they asked for .45 Schofield and received .45 Colt, they'd be out of luck, because they wouldn't chamber in the Schofield revolver, so the habit developed of referring to .45 Colt as .45 Long Colt, in order to address the confusion.

Eventually the problem was solved by only ordering .45 Schofield ammo, which would operate in both revolvers, but the tradition of referring to .45 Colt as Long Colt had already been established, and the folks who had been in the military during that confusing period continued to use that terminology upon rejoining civilian life, so by that means it came to be established in common practice.

Saying it don't make it so.

Some,
Call this a woman!

Last edited by Dillonbuck; 06/26/22.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
While I commend the YouTuber that put those piles of dog schit videos together, it's important that an aspiring handgunner recognize the lack of logic on display here.

If you are wondering how fast you can shoot an object moving straight on, that is covering 10-15 yards in one second, it would make sense to hang a standard USPSA target at 25yds, another at 10yds, and one more at 1yd.

Par for three hits in the A-Zone (CNS) would be around two seconds. All those interested in testing their skills would be able to do so sans snowmobiles, drunk uncles, miniature train sets, pulley systems, etc.

You're welcome,
Flave

PS- Butt Fugk Burns doesn't train anyone to do anything. He's a fraud.

79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
While I commend the YouTuber that put those piles of dog schit videos together, it's important that an aspiring handgunner recognize the lack of logic on display here.

If you are wondering how fast you can shoot an object moving straight on, that is covering 10-15 yards in one second, it would make sense to hang a standard USPSA target at 25yds, another at 10yds, and one more at 1yd.

Par for three hits in the A-Zone (CNS) would be around two seconds. All those interested in testing their skills would be able to do so sans snowmobiles, drunk uncles, miniature train sets, pulley systems, etc.

You're welcome,
Flave

uh bullshit for $200 bones you get a 1/2 day training with yo new Wyoming arms AR15.

https://wyomingarms.com/product/1-2-day-training-with-your-wyoming-arms-rifle/

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by 79S

You're welcome,
Flave

uh bullshit for $200 bones you get a 1/2 day training with yo new Wyoming arms AR15.

https://wyomingarms.com/product/1-2-day-training-with-your-wyoming-arms-rifle/

JFC.

LMAO

Can you imagine that idiot "training" you?

Complete fugking fraud.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L

You're welcome,
Flave

That is a good drill, done in reverse it is great for SD shooting. Line the targets up directly behind each other and have the shooter start from directly in front of the near target and move so that the other targets do not get hit to add spice/reality.

If you can do the drill you describe in 2 seconds from the holster you are my herogrin

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by lvmiker

You're welcome,
Flave

That is a good drill, done in reverse it is great for SD shooting. Line the targets up directly behind each other and have the shooter start from directly in front of the near target and move so that the other targets do not get hit to add spice/reality.

If you can do the drill you describe in 2 seconds from the holster you are my herogrin

mike r

I've no reason to train for bear charges (although my family and I did frequent grizz heavy country each summer for ten years) but if one is inclined to do so they would have to factor that a bear conservatively moves at 25mph which would roughly equate to 12-15yds per second.

So I think the drill I prescribed makes sense especially when you consider the fact that you're gettin' reps and the likelihood of a human being charging your ass is 100X's more likely than a bear. And the drill remains applicable.

Or you could be Butt Fugk Burns and just shoot rocks at 300yds all day. LOL

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I liked it actually. He's just trying to make some income doing something he likes and be creative at it I imagine.

I do like that he is actually outside - not on the couch - and drawing from his holsters. At most public gun ranges around here, they don't want you to draw from the holster or shoot fast...probably some insurance thing.

So he's getting some muscle memory with that...and it looks like he's having fun...eh, cut him some slack.

Oh wait this is 24HCF...you're right...we're suppose tell him to GFY.

wink

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M

You're welcome,
Flave

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC

Trystan

Interesting.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
LOL, funny stuff, seems my choice of sidearm hunting in general or especially bow hunting in polar/coastal kodiak/grizzly country too be my G21 stuffed with 14 rounds of 200gr Lehigh penetrators' the perfect choice for my greenhorn ass! Thanks for the video.

Trump Won!
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

I know Allan and visited with him this past winter. Hes a great young man and is excited to live his Alaskan life.

He works a remote fish counting station every summer on kodiak and encounters dozens of brown bears in camp every season.

I appluad his interest to become as proficient, and familiar with his firearms, as he can be.

Hes served our country and is pursuing a higher education at UAF with his military bennefits.

Hes also interested in eventually starting his own dog team, he seems to want to learn everything Alaskan, that he can!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak

I know Allan and visited with him this past winter. Hes a great young man and is excited to live his Alaskan life.

He works a remote fish counting station every summer on kodiak and encounters dozens of brown bears in camp every season.

I appluad his interest to become as proficient, and familiar with his firearms, as he can be.

Hes served our country and is pursuing a higher education at UAF with his military bennefits.

Hes also interested in eventually starting his own dog team, he seems to want to learn everything Alaskan, that he can!

I liked that guy and his demonstration. Just subscribed to his channel. I have a 3rd gen Glock 20 with standard and 6" KKM barrels. Time to put a fresh set of night sights on it and reload some 10 MM ammo.

Thanks for posting this.

Please don't feed the trolls!
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush

You're welcome,
Flave

Every so often a post pops up that restores my faith in humanity.

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak

Not crazy about his video, but he sounds like a great guy. And I appreciate that he's gone native, so to speak.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jwp475

I used a 475 Linebaugh in 1988 to stop a grizzly that came in on me when I was working a moose kill. I only needed 1 shot

JW, how far was he when you stopped him and was it a head shot or spine?

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Originally Posted by jwp475

JW, how far was he when you stopped him and was it a head shot or spine?

I was working a moose kill, when the bear starts coming in. Jimmy shoots first and bear goes down but immediately came straight up as if spring loaded. A quartering away shot in back of ribs toward opposite shoulder. Bear girs down spread eagle style and never git up again.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by toad
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush

You're welcome,
Flave

Every so often a post pops up that restores my faith in humanity.

Flave rules.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Flave rules.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Flave , is a phony, he would run if threatened, by a bigger bottom feeder, if a bear appeared he would be so busy slipp'in and slid'in in his own schitt, the bear would lay down laugh at flave, just like most of us. back to the bottom Catfish. Rio7

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Thank you, sir. We should have another phone chat one of these days.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by RIO7
Flave , is a phony, he would run if threatened, by a bigger bottom feeder, if a bear appeared he would be so busy slipp'in and slid'in in his own schitt, the bear would lay down laugh at flave, just like most of us. back to the bottom Catfish. Rio7

Sure thing, gramps.

LOL

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I had to defend myself against a bear on a moose hunt up in the very NW corner of Saskatchewan a few years ago. Thankfully, for me, my rifle was already in my hands as we were tracking a moose and the guide kept telling me "be ready, we're close". We came up over a small hill and I literally walked right into 2 black bear cubs! They gave a little bark and went straight up trees faster than I would have thought possible. I immediately started looking around thinking oh crap! About 70 yards away, mama stands up sees me and immediately charges, ears flat to the back of her head and popping her teeth like crazy! She looked like a high speed shadow coming across the ground. I put a round in the ground in front of her to no effect. In the time it took me to work the action and be ready to shoot again she was very close and not slowing down at all. My second shot planted her not very far in front of me, again, thankfully for me, and I worked the bolt again just in case. It just took me about 3 times as long to type this than it did when it happened, still amazed at the speed of the bear and can still see it like it just happened. All I can say is, that time it worked out for me, could have easily worked out for the bear instead. If my rifle had been over my shoulder instead of in my hands, if I hadn't already been squared up to the bear... You can shoot at paper or cardboard all you want (and that's a good thing), say what you'll do all you want... having had it happen to me showed me how lucky I was!

The way the bear came in on us put the guide behind me and he had no shot, other than through me. And it truly happened so fast, there's no way he could have sidestepped me to get into position for a shot before it was over or the bear was on us. My 338 Win Mag reloads using 250gr Barnes TSX literally knocked the bear back like she had run full force into a brick wall. One last snap of her teeth and then the moan from too close!

So drills and practice are essential!

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Sure thing, gramps.

LOL

Remember that time we had that grizzly come at us out of the treeline? And you left me with my sprained ankle hobbling down the trail? Good times laugh

MAGA
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff

Sure thing, gramps.

LOL

Remember that time we had that grizzly come at us out of the treeline? And you left me with my sprained ankle hobbling down the trail? Good times laugh

I only recall one bear encounter with you and I do have the pic of that bear somewhere.

Thanks again for letting me ride piggy-back despite your bad ankle.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Dean... did you shoot from the hip or could you see through the scope?

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Dean... did you shoot from the hip or could you see through the scope?

From the shoulder for both shots, through the scope. Always keep your scope on its lowest power until more is needed. Once the rifle went up, it didn't come down until I was certain the bear was dead. I certainly realize it could have gone the other way!

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Revisiting this concept for the holidays. Low round count and fun for those with family/friends in town.

Three targets:

25yd
15yd
5yd

This would approximate 10yds per second, which would put the bear at a leisurely 20mph.

One round per target.

Three A-Zones is par for hits.
3.0 is par for time.

Best time for me was:

That was with a G17, no optic, ALS holster and duty size belt.

Had lots of low 3's and lots of 3.0's with a C-zone hit at the 25yd.

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Now try it with a real gun.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by dla

You first, butt-fugk.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by dla
What’s a real gun? I ate $hit when a black bear charged me. I had a “real gun” super Blackhawk running 300+ gr’s at full tilt. I was so slow out of the holster and thumbing it on a pb range charge I would have taken a G17 in a chest holster any day. I missed btw

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
There are real guns like a 44 mag.
The VAGINAmm is not a bear charge stopping caliber.
It would be more interesting if the drill was run with a caliber more appropriate with stopping a charging bear.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Grab a handgun of your choice in caliber, look this bear in the face and tell me you have enough skill or gun to get out of this alive..

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Grab a handgun of your choice in caliber, look this bear in the face and tell me you have enough skill or gun to get out of this alive..

That may very well be the takeaway from this drill.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Bear spray lads.

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

Yes, I do. And neither you or any other forum dip [bleep] can prove otherwise.

Why do I say that?

Because the data on bear attacks proves me right. Very few folks successfully fending off bear attacks with a handgun are forum-approved pistoleros. They're average Joes who decided they would fight.

So read the data, learn, and stop posting stupid [bleep].

https://www.ammoland.com/2018/02/de...97-success-rate-37-incidents-by-caliber/

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Not a problem.

But then I don't get all skeered around grizzlies.

John Burns

I have all the sources.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Roy

What this world needs is a few more Rednecks.

The Dildō Of Consequence Rarely Arrives Lubed

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 21, 222ND, 72 invisible), 2,488 guests, and 1,275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,678
Posts18,456,284
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.