#17341409 06/16/22
R
Raeford Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Time to shed a few pounds.
Turn 59 in a few months and have a target for then and years end.

We met up with some friends last weekend and about all that we did was eat, drink, repeat over the course of 4 days.

I've been carrying an extra 25-30#'s for several years now and thinking that I added 2-3 last weekend. Noticing that I have knees and hips more and more[ I prefer not noticing them].

My #1 weakness is out, no more bread, chips and general snacking.
Also giving up Jai-Alai and switching to All Day IPA. About 1/3 less cals

Push mowed most of the yard last night[normally ride] and actually felt good after doing so.

Hope to be at #210 by years end!

FJB & FJT
BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
How tall an ole boy are ya?

R
Raeford Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
6'4" [in my yute days] laugh

Hovering just over 6'3" these days

FJB & FJT
R
Raeford Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
48 hours, no bread, 1 beer
Can actually feel a difference

Hamburger last night, spread some mustard, pickles and wrapped lettuce around it, with green beans.

Ham wrapped around cheese for lunch just now.

FJB & FJT
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
My shooting buddy complained to me (2) years ago that he wanted to get rid of ‘this’, as he grabbed a roll of fat around his waist. I told him I could help him if he wanted it. He listened with a wry smile. He was convinced he could not lose weight because he had tried hard a few years previously with no results. To encourage him, I said I would do a weight loss program with him. He bit.

I weighed 165 and he weighed 247 at the start. After one year, I weighed 144 and he weighed 183. He confessed that he only took me up on the ‘challenge’ to prove me wrong, that is, that he could not lose any further weight. He showed me a pic on his cell phone of his ‘daily’ food consumption in the beginning. I said, ‘Good God man, that’s a lot of calories.’ He was shocked, as to him it was his normal daily consumption.

Long story short, we have both stopped losing weight, as we are now happy where we both are. I weighed 149 today and he weighed 185. He is so happy. I feel good inside, knowing I helped my friend get to where he thought was an absolute impossibility. Life is good.

IC B2

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
One last note. This probably sounds funny, but it works. Each day, we weigh ourselves and send a pic of the weight scales reading to each other on our phones. It’s our daily ‘check-in’. Another friend of ours has joined in this ritual as well. He started at 221 lbs. At today’s weigh-in, he weighed 194. It’s interesting to see how having to share one’s daily weight with a friend keeps a guy ‘on track’ with his daily calorie count and his exercise routine. We’re having fun with it, and our results are gratifying.

Good luck to you sir on your progress!

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
P.S. I am 71 years old. My friend is 51, and the ‘new guy’ is 46.

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Well, what did you put him through?

The way life should be.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by surefire7
One last note. This probably sounds funny, but it works. Each day, we weigh ourselves and send a pic of the weight scales reading to each other on our phones. It’s our daily ‘check-in’. Another friend of ours has joined in this ritual as well. He started at 221 lbs. At today’s weigh-in, he weighed 194. It’s interesting to see how having to share one’s daily weight with a friend keeps a guy ‘on track’ with his daily calorie count and his exercise routine. We’re having fun with it, and our results are gratifying.

Good luck to you sir on your progress!

Yes, many will lie to themselves but can't lie to others, great plan, congrats !!!

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I wish you the best in your fitness goals and health. Bread is not your enemy. It is too many calories and not enough exercise. When people try to get rid of one thing it never works. Limit your serving size. Most people eat past the point when they are actually full. Slow down when you eat and really start paying attention when you get the “full” feeling.

IC B3

R
Raeford Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
It just has to be done and like your friend, for years I just thought it is what it is. No more.
I can't eat and then still be able to have a beverage or two like I used to be able to do.

Have lots of clothes that I've put away over the past 5-10 years due to closet shrinkage.
Maybe one day soon!

Thanks for sharing.

FJB & FJT
R
Raeford Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by barm
I wish you the best in your fitness goals and health. Bread is not your enemy. It is too many calories and not enough exercise. When people try to get rid of one thing it never works. Limit your serving size. Most people eat past the point when they are actually full. Slow down when you eat and really start paying attention when you get the “full” feeling.

Bread is just the tip of the proverbial iceberg and a major weakness.

This "It is too many calories and not enough exercise." IS the iceberg.

FJB & FJT
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Walking for 15 mins a day can increase your life expectancy by 25 percent.

I am MAGA.
R
Raeford Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Walking for 15 mins a day can increase your life expectancy by 25 percent.

What if you add 12oz curls to this?

FJB & FJT
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Depends on the calorie content of the curls.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good job!

I went to a wedding two weeks ago.

Our generation is now all 63 to 72 and we are all overweight at least a bit. Some massively so.

Wife and I decided enough was enough.

I cut out the evening snack we are now walking 3 miles every day.

First 5 pounds gone...20 to go. Want to get down to the weight I was at when I made my last backpack hunt into the Frank Church (190, back in 2016).

I have lost the same 20 - 25 pounds a half-dozen times in the past 20 years. Usually so I can make a hunt.

Time to do it and make it stick. I am too old to carry an extra 25 pounds habitually. Not to mention I worry 25 will become 30 will become 35......

USMC 0351

We know the price of everything and the value of nothing.
R
Raeford Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Depends on the calorie content of the curls.

Light IPA

FJB & FJT
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Raeford, I was overweight (260lbs) and felt pretty crappy. I went to the Dr. and had blood work done. Dr. told me I had Type II Diabetes and put me on some meds. Long story short I lost 80 lbs and completely got off all the diabetes meds. I have easily kept the weight off for over 2 years now. This really helped me. No magic pills, no books to buy, no gimmicks. Just good solid info from a Dr. that specializes in obesity. Thought I would post this. It has successfully helped a couple of family members and several friends of mine. It helps you understand what's happening in the body and why you are or are not losing the weight..

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Raeford
Bread is just the tip of the proverbial iceberg and a major weakness.

This "It is too many calories and not enough exercise." IS the iceberg.

This ^ ^ ^

And forget about losing weight. What most people are after is losing fat. The only way to do that is to consistently run a calorie deficit. Period. You have to burn more than you take in. The best way to accelerate this (and eat more while still running a deficit) is to build muscle, and you don't have to train like Arnold to do it.

As far as eating goes, eat good stuff not crap, and drink no sugar water of any kind. Not soda, not Gaytoraid, not energy drinks, none of it. Most Americans would drop 5-10 lbs. per month for around 6 months just by taking that step alone. Drink more water-flavored water. 12 oz curls are fine in moderation.

Bread isn't the problem, although white bread certainly doesn't help. The problem is that we're machines that are designed to move and be active, and do it on a minimum of calories, while modern society has most people sitting on their asses and doing it on a mega-maximum of calories, most of which are garbage and contain little or no actual nutrition.

Haul ass, haul ass! - Pappy
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Tip; don't bring bread or any other fattening food into the house, don't order it if you eat out.

Drink water not sugar water, walk/lift weights/ride a bicycle.

Best luck Raeford and others...

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
139 members (10Glocks, 2UP, 300_savage, 257 mag, 160user, 35, 12 invisible), 1,825 guests, and 832 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,778
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.