Print Thread
Hop To
L
LouisB Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
How many folks drew for the area that has just been ravished by the big NM fire?

Last edited by LouisB; 05/27/22.

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Ravaged !

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Some of the prettiest country burnt by our wonderful Federal Governments, the Stuarts of the Land..... 1, 2, and 3 largest fires in state history title they have earned.

Good Shooting!
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Sadly they would have been healthier with a good burn every few years. Now with beetles and no controlled burns to speak of we get these huge destructive fires. They burn too hot and decimate the soils.
The dense, even aged stands of timber don't help either.

I hope your state can get some much needed rain soon.

L
LouisB Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Sidepass . . .

Just back to see

YEP, DANGED spellcheck and failure to look before I post.

Too bad one can not go back and edit.

Guess the end result is the same with either word, one is just longer term.

Depending on the weather, the area should/could have a lot of edibles for the critters in a few years.

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
IC B2

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Went to post office this morning. About 1/2 mile down slowed for a large cow elk grazing on the side of the road. Unusual for 10am.

She looked rough and her ribs were showing. We’re Gmu 46 (100% landowner), but this is real close to Gmu 45 (Pecos wilderness and Santa Fe National Forest), hit hard by Calf Canyon/Hermits Peak Fire. Also by extreme drought.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Dumdum
Went to post office this morning. About 1/2 mile down slowed for a large cow elk grazing on the side of the road. Unusual for 10am.

She looked rough and her ribs were showing. We’re Gmu 46 (100% landowner), but this is real close to Gmu 45 (Pecos wilderness and Santa Fe National Forest), hit hard by Calf Canyon/Hermits Peak Fire. Also by extreme drought.
I hunt in unit 46. Fire stopped right at the edge of the ranch I hunt.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by Godogs57

I hunt in unit 46. Fire stopped right at the edge of the ranch I hunt.

I hear ya. We had to evacuate twice... first time Right F****g Now!

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by LouisB
How many folks drew for the area that has just been ravished by the big NM fire?

The Calf Canyon/Hermit Peak fire has really been burning through the Pecos Wilderness/ eastern Santa Fe National Forest, so I imagine elk hunting this fall will be “different “. The fire intensity might sterilize the soil (kill off grass seeds, etc). Monsoon rains might wash off topsoil. GMU 45 hunt might be ok in western part (assuming that doesn’t burn too).

So many fires burning in NM ... what about Gila?

Last edited by Dumdum; 06/15/22.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
And around here, with a growing season under their belt, burns are an excellent hunt. Had a big burn about 10 years back. Elk stayed low not bothering to frequent their normal summer range.

1Minute
IC B3

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M

Quite a few elk getting hit on I-25, from Santa Fe all the way to Raton.
They're hitting the ladies garden, south and east of Wagon Mound, almost every night, now.
Things are so dry, the barrow ditches along the county roads haven't even started to green-up, yet.
Frontage road and the Interstate are just green enough to be a "fatal attraction" to elk and antelope, though.
Our ranch house is ~ 30 miles from the burn.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 163bc, 10Glocks, 160user, 56 invisible), 2,306 guests, and 1,313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,233
Posts18,466,666
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.