Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
N
Have my eye on a 1941 vintage .30-06.

Should the rifle be drilled and tapped both front and rear?

Excellent condition.

4k?

“Factio democratica delenda est"
BP-B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Semper Fi
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
d&t for a receiver sight, no holes on top of bridge.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
N
That's what I recalled for a pre war rifle Pocono. Wasn't sure a 41 was considered a true pre war.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Looks all original, sat in a closet for quite a while, has not been shot a whole lot. The rear bridge should not be drilled and tapped and it should also have a clip slot.. With the carbine, it's critical to measure the barrel. Make sure it meets the correct specs, as described through research. Sorry I do not have those specs. Barrel should be 20" long and not 21", as some counterfeited ones are. According to my book, an 80% specimen is worth $2,040 and a 90% condition specimen is valued at $2,380, where a near new one would be valued at $3,400.00. I can't tell for sure in the pics, but is the "widow's peak" there? If not, and the inletting is not there for it, the stock has been cut/shortened.. Just something to look for..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
It does have the clip slot. Front holes remain a mystery. Sorry for the [bleep] pictures. I was rushing.

Semper Fi
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
BSA, above has a significant flaw 'nailed.' The stock has been cut, likely for a recoil pad and a 'half-vast' restoration as removed & altered butt plate installed. The net, net, the stock is ruined as collectible component. As yet utilitarian perhaps, the term "Truck gun" comes to mind with the caveat probably length of pull short at about 12.5"or so!

The metal looks good, but quality photo and lack of coverage, major assessment impediments. A pix of my Prewar Model 70 SN 31K, below reflecting the proper - untapped receiver view from atop. Bridge holes only on left side to facilitate receiver sight installation!

The matter of "true" or altered barrel to achieve carbine length, "messed with" seems less likely. The effort to alter professionally typically not spent for common chamberings such as here, in 30-06. Of course, never say never! Believe the proper length barrel measurement is rod inserted into bore. From "bottoming to center of muzzle; at 20". Good to have a headspace gauge as indicator "by suggestion", of whether the barrel is original to the rifle.

These Winchester major components as well as lesser ones, subject to 'mix & match. Properly accomplished, not to waste time fretting. As crude alterations occur at collector realm prices, there's the rub! smile

My take & good luck!
Best!
John

Attached Images
R408-6U.jpg (22.04 KB, 280 downloads)
Last edited by iskra; 06/16/22.
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
That stock hasn’t been cut and it doesn’t look like there’s any extra holes in the bridge. Very nice gun.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Very nice specimen, not sure about the price though. If I were going after it I'd try to negotiate a better price. In 50 yrs. of collecting M/70's I've only owned one short rifle, it was a .270 and don't remember price as it was many years ago.

N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
N
Ok, so assuming all original, what would be a fair offer?

3250?

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Can’t hurt to try.

Semper Fi
N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
N
BSA, you're using the Winchester collectors book for your numbers?

Might those numbers be low due to Bidenflation?

Scotty, not sure if that is fair, or high.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I don’t know honestly. I barely ever see them for sale. This is the first I’ve seen in the wild.

Can’t hurt to start there though. All they can say is no.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
How many have handled one? I’ve only had one in hand….”Belltown Bob’s”….it would have been hard to make a poorer balanced rifle. Rarity is one thing, however handling was not one of its selling points.

Last edited by battue; 06/17/22.

laissez les bons temps rouler
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Does that steel buttplate have the bird beak at the top? I can't tell from the pics. Also are there any holes on the top of the rear bridge, again pics lacking. That is a pretty low price for a carbine in as nice as condition as that appears. $4,500- $5,000 around here. I have owned a few carbines and the least I paid was $2750 20 years ago, and that one had extra holes in the barrel for a Unertl! Why a Unertl on a 257 Roberts Carbine??????

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor Member
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by nyrifleman
BSA, you're using the Winchester collectors book for your numbers?

Might those numbers be low due to Bidenflation?

Scotty, not sure if that is fair, or high.

Those numbers still hold pretty true to this day. I use it as a guide and never pay more for a rifle than what is listed in that book. That's just how I roll..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by battue
How many have handled one? I’ve only had one in hand….”Belltown Bob’s”….it would have been hard to make a poorer balanced rifle. Rarity is one thing, however handling was not one of its selling points.

Bingo, that is something Scotty mentioned to me in a text yesterday..

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Poconojack
That stock hasn’t been cut and it doesn’t look like there’s any extra holes in the bridge. Very nice gun.

And you can see clearly that the "widows peak" is intact and still inletted for such, as I had already mentioned? Boy, you must have a much better computer than I do..

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
You guys can beat the photographer, but I believe it’s a standard plate.

I wished I could’ve had more time but I do think I remember seeing it. I love that buttplate style so I’m usually better about this.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by battue

Bingo, that is something Scotty mentioned to me in a text yesterday..

If it were mine it’d get a light stock. I believe that would serve two purposes. Get the balance back to the front and save that stock from abuse.

Semper Fi
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
634 members (09wingates, 219 Wasp, 2003and2013, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugeman, 61 invisible), 2,553 guests, and 1,177 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,601
Posts18,398,282
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.