Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A good Chiro can help. Not all are good.

GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
The disk has come out and is putting pressure on the nerve running down you leg.

Have the doc do an MRI and if damaged bad enough get it clipped.

Fusion is the last thing i would have done as long as i could deal with the pain/numbness.

I have had the L-5-3 levels fused and it is as stout as before.

Thing is i waited to long and things had deteriorated to the point that i have a lot of nerve damage.

I would still get it fixed today even with the limits i have.

Good luck and i hope they can get it fixed.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by PrimeBeef
Sounds familiar. Ice it. Motrin + ES Tylenol helps. Keep your hamstrings stretched. Would not rule out seeing a chiropractor, either.

Good God.

LOL

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I had a similar issue for many years. Went to a regular chiropractor 20-25 times a year for about 35 years. Then I went to a NUCCA chiropractor. Haven’t been to a regular chiropractor now for 5 years. All I can say is that it worked wonders for me. Worth a shot.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by PrimeBeef
Sounds familiar. Ice it. Motrin + ES Tylenol helps. Keep your hamstrings stretched. Would not rule out seeing a chiropractor, either.

Good God.

LOL

Exactly. I've been dealing with this for 30+ years.

IC B2

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Lots of unknowns- mostly your age, smoking status, and occupation.

Its probabably a paraspinal strain. You'll live. Motrin, tylenol, heat, and stay active.

It is actually NORMAL to have a certain degree of disc bulging and stenosis. Not that i do this kind of stuff for a living...

At one with the gun.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BadHabit

Its probabably a paraspinal strain. You'll live. Motrin, tylenol, heat, and stay active.

It is actually NORMAL to have a certain degree of disc bulging and stenosis. Not that i do this kind of stuff for a living...

If you think smoking causes disc injuries, you definitely don’t do this for a living…

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
S
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
S
I had 3 levels of lumbar fused. 2 operations , 17 yrs apart. 1st one went so well that I was back to work in 9 wks and to the gym in 12. 2nd had to fuse 2 more and replace hardware from the 1st. Didn’t work out so well but I was 60 then. It’s the last thing you want to do and , it sounds that you’re a long way from that. PT really works. Proper lifting technique is vital for the rest of your life. Stretching really helps. You need a mri and a GOOD spine doc to read it so you know where you stand. Long winded reply but I been there so I hope it helps.

Home Of The Mollies
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Thank you folks. I am 54 if that matters. Don't smoke, but I've heard mj is good for back pain, so I might start...

I'm sure this will pass. I'd give up the Rickshaw gig, but it's who I am.....

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Yep. Sounds like a disk is pushing on a nerve. Some of the above advice is good. I will add an inversion table to what has been mentioned above. Those things can work wonders in some cases. An ice regimen can help too.

IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Physical therapy is what I would recommend. As someone mentioned, strengthen your core. I know several people who have gone the surgical route. Not a one has what I would consider a successful outcome and a few are worse than before!

Yours in Liberty,

BL
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Going through it right now. Had an MRI with contrast. Disk is bulging against the sciatic nerve at L5-S1. I can't get comfortable in a chair or laying down. I can stand for about 20 minutes. Pain radiates in my lower spine down my ass, sometimes legs. I've tried all the meds. They don't work much. Same with heat. Massage gun helps for a bit. Had the Ortho give me the steroid shot. He had to go in 3xs to find it and then only got a partial dose in. No joy. PT has me doing core exercises as tolerated. 10# lifting limit. It sucks, but I'm not doing surgery until they get better result percentage. Who knows when that will be or if it's even possible. Until then, keep moving.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
You may be lucky - it may just be a psoas muscle spasm.

When it happens, does the pain seem to concentrate in the lower back? Does the pain make you bend forward and walk like an old man shuffling along, looking at the floor? Does the pain decrease when you force yourself to stand up straight and walk like a marine on a parade ground?

I get mine when I overdo it lifting, rotating and putting down heavy objects. The psoas muscle on the right or the left will spasm (I get mine on the left) and not want to relax.

Heat or cold will relax the muscle a bit, offering a short period of relief. But the muscle will go back into spasm soon after the therapy stops.

You can google "psoas muscle pain" and get all kinds of advice online, but this is what works for me:

I have a foam roller and a very firm rubber ball about halfway in size between a hardball and a softball (you can get these cheap at a Walmart). I mostly use the rubber ball, but you can use the edge of the foam roller. The key is to put the ball directly against the muscle that has tightened up, and roll on it with your full weight. It HURTS, but a minute or less directly on the pain spot will force the muscle to elongate and stretch, taking it out of spasm. I'm not a cussing man, but I sure want to when I'm putting weight on that spot!

If you do it right, you will get relief immediately - no drugs, no surgery. Sometimes I have to repeat it to get it completely gone, but that's because I'm too much of a wuss to take the pain more than about 20 seconds or so at a time.

Good prevention helps a lot - strengthen and stretch the core muscles, and learn how to lift without hurting yourself. A physical therapist taught me that you should never twist with a heavy object in your hands. Have your toes pointing in the direction you are lifting and move your feet to the direction that you are putting it down. Also, stand up straight and walk like you're pushing off with your back foot and coming down smoothly on the heel of your forward foot. - if your forward foot is slapping down on the floor as you walk, you're doing it wrong and contributing to your back problem.

An X-ray with a good back doctor or a GOOD chiropractor will show you whether you have a bad disk or it's just a muscle spasm. If the doc suggests surgery, be SURE to get another opinion! I had a good friend who was a back surgeon, and he said surgery is the last resort - you're at about equal odds at whether it gets better, stays the same or gets worse!

If it seems this fits your problem, do some reading on the subject and give the rubber ball a try. For me, it's fast relief for the price of some moaning and groaning.

Last edited by czech1022; 06/17/22.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
Originally Posted by BadHabit

If you think smoking causes disc injuries, you definitely don’t do this for a living…
It doesn’t “cause” disc injury, but it greatly inhibits the healing of a disc injury.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Rickshaw
I figure this is as good of a place as any for medical advice these days.

I’ve got this recurring back problem that happens every once in a while. Today I was moving cement blocks and leaning forward and “strained “ my back. Not sure if it is a muscle strain or disc and pinched nerve problem. It happens time to time. Sometimes just leaning over the sink to brush my teeth.

It is usually from lifting and leaning. Any thoughts on what is causing this? Pain usually lasts a few days to a week. Sharp pain.

Wonder if doing planks or core exercising would help.

Appreciate any help or thoughts.

Get stronger. Barbell training, back squats.

Sean
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If everyone over 40 took an MRI, they'd all discover disk problems. It's just that some people have lots of pain as well. So how do you minimize the pain?

Muscle imbalance sets the conditions for lower back pain. By that I mean strong quads and hip flexors combined with weak hams and glutes. Squats - go down far enough to engage the hams and glutes. Deadlifts if you know how to do them properly. Lunges. This solved my lower back problems.

Yoga is good - there are probably "low back pain" or "psoas" videos online.

Other core strength.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
Disc.

Yep. With a pinched nerve.

Likely true statement(s). However, only an MRI will tell you for sure.

Get to work on your core strength, it will help out immensely. Lengthen and strengthen your hamstrings, glutes, and quads. Otherwise, you will just be miserable.

Lots of YouTube plans/routines that would help you establish something to help you out.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Start serious stretching.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Actually sounds potentially like testicular nemocystocrosis.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
At 35 I had a back injury that my Dr. said was career ending. He said I was done working. My company sent me to a Dr that specialized in Rehab through stretching and exercise. I followed the plan and worked hard at it. Been working the last 25 years. If my back starts bothering me I stretch my hamstrings. It solves the problem.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

601 members (10Glocks, 22250rem, 1_deuce, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 257 roberts, 64 invisible), 2,172 guests, and 1,255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,284
Posts18,448,632
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.