-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Who was it that recommeded HS diaphram calls? Dean, maybe? Our local Bass Pro had them on post-season sale, as well as other brands, for really deep discounts. I picked up a half dozen HS calls, and some Primos and Quaker Boy diapham calls. Enough to practice with until next season and still have quite a few left over. So I know about washing and storing used ones in the refirgerator. What about unused calls still in the package? In the refirgerator or out? Does it matter?

GB1

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I wash them right away with warm water and a drop of liquid detergent, rinse well. Then store them on a paper towel with a little mouth wash on them, vaccum pack them and refrigerate them until next season. Never had any mold or nasty taste, always minty fresh! Lol!

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Big fan of HS calls, so might have been me...

Like Quaker Boy too... good Ol' Dick Kirby!

Last edited by DeanAnderson; 06/17/22.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
https://phelpsgamecalls.com/collections/turkey

Just got turned onto these. A buddy that I was hunting with was using one of their calls and it definately sounded great. Worth looking into...

Last edited by DeanAnderson; 06/17/22.

NRA life member

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I didn't have to buy a call for about 20 years. Our calls were made one at a time by an older lady and quality control was EXCEPTIONAL. I was one of the guys who evaluated prototypes for selection into production.

Then my days there were over. Had to start buying calls again. Ran the gamut of national brands. Junk. All. Then I happened on a custom builder who builds his calls............one at a time. They do cost more. But they are the ultimate of consistency one to the next. And they LAST.

I keep new ones.........still in the package.........just in a dark place at room temp. Once used...........and after every use......straight into a small Tupperware container full of straight mint mouthwash and into the fridge. I've got calls that are 5.....6......7 years old or more.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks. The ones I've been practicing with get washed with water and antibaterial soap, dried, and placed into a zip lok and into a produce drawer in the fridge. I've got the ones that are still packaged in with my other hunting odds and ends box in my storage room at room temp. Not that dfiapham calls are all that expensive, but no need to let them deteriorate, either.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Some of them are quite expensive for what they are. BUT...........sometimes you really DO get what you pay for.

The three biggest enemies of diaphragm calls are heat, light and acidity (saliva).

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I also have bottles of deer scents in the fridge that I keep telling my wife not to open! Lol! Sometimes she forgets and does open them, always leads to interesting discussions... hahaha!

NRA life member

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DeanAnderson
I also have bottles of deer scents in the fridge that I keep telling my wife not to open! Lol! Sometimes she forgets and does open them, always leads to interesting discussions... hahaha!

The synthetic stuff reeks. Makes Tinks smell like cologne. I put the bottle in a zip lock bag then in the garage fridge. My wife knows not to open that. They get tossed after the season.

Y
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Y
When I buy diaphrams I buy several to get the best deal. I keep them in the safe where it is dark and they last for several years; more than 5 years. Light is their worst enemy just like fishing line.

God Bless, Louis

IC B3

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Glockhead you should do us up some of your special Ed videos.....

If YoderbOy evaluated diaphram calls for some company I'd be ashamed to admit who it was too....

Who ever it was must've been a bunch of dumb sObs..

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
LOL !!!!!!!!!!!!

Actually, the folks I worked for WANTED to bring YOU aboard as a diaphragm call evaluator.................. Then they watched your video.

BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA !!!!!

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Shoe shine bOy got a few free diaphrams....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by LFC
Shoe shine bOy got a few free diaphrams....

Yeah. A few.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

603 members (007FJ, 10ring1, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 63 invisible), 2,975 guests, and 1,155 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,526
Posts18,452,842
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.