Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
It's my opinion that 90% of elk are harvested at under 300 yards.
95%+ at under 400 yards.

A .308, 30-06 or .270 with a 4X scope is more than enough.
A cup & core bullet of reasonable weight will do the job.

If you want a 20X scope on a .300 magnum, that's fine but you don't need it.

I have 5 elk under my belt, all taken at under 100 yards.

So how many of you actually take elk at 500+ yards, and what percentage of you elk were at longer distance.

MOLON LABE
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I’ve shot a couple dozen elk and the longest was 350 yds by the laser. I have a 12x scope on my rifle but it’s for my weak eyes, not the distance. I just need a few more X’s to see the animal clearly

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I have shot just over 50 elk. Probably 15 of those were over 300 yards. Probably 4 over 500. Maybe a few more. Use a 4x if you like I usually have a 3-9 or 4-12. Almost always turned as high as it will go. I just love it when some one with limited experience tells me just what caliber, scope, and bullet I need because it worked for him on a couple elk.

Molon Labe
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I am on the back side of 50 elk tagged. I have been hunting them 55+years. A lot of years I could get two elk tags here in Colorado. One year, three. Less than 6 were over 250 yards. Most were less than 100yards. Many less than 50 yards. Center fire rifle and 50 cal muzzle loader. .308, 30-06, 44 mag carbine, 30-30. About five years with a7 mag. I found out it just burned more powder. It didn't kill any better. My .06 now has a 2.5-8 X as it was a gift. Other than that it has 1X, 4x, 2-7X, and 3-9X's usually set at 4X.

In my experience, the younger hunters today, lack the woodscraft, or hunting ability to stalk elk close and rely on distance shooting instead

Last edited by saddlesore; 06/18/22.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have personally taken 25 elk and have been in on the taking of at least 100 others. I grew up in elk country in CO and our family hunted them hard. The closest shot I have had at an elk was 3 paces and that was a cow taken with a muzzleloader. I came around a blown down tree and she was coming around it from the other side. The longest shot I have taken at one was about 575 yards at a good 5 pt bull across a sagebrush flat and he was the only bull I saw that season. I killed both of those elk. I'm guessing the other 23 elk I have taken have been anywhere from 70 yards to about 350. I've had the chance to take longer shots but try to work into a closer range. My old 7mm Mag is sighted in to be dead on at 250 yards so anything out to 350 all I have to do is hold on the upper chest. My rifle wears on old Leupold 3x9 and I have never found that scope lacking.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
IC B2

Dre Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I’m a baby compared to some. 8 elk in last 12 years of hunting elk.
Still using the trusty 30/06 originally with 180 tsx and 2.5-10 monarch BDC.
Now 168 ttsx. With 3.5-10 vx3 CDS.
40-400 yards.
The 300 win mag sits in the safe. And I bring 270 win with 3-9 CDS 130 ttsx as a back up

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I’m a midwesterner and didn’t start after elk until relatively late in life. I’ve taken 13 or so with two being cows. I’m not a guy who tries to intentionally take elk at long range, and took none if 500 yards is your threshold. But most, about 8 or 9 ors so, were past 400 yds, the longest at a walked off 475. These were mostly pre-LRF, or without time to do so, and the last couple were close enough to not have to range them.

So I’ve a small cluster between 400 and 500.

Edit: I’ve used a 45/70, 45 Colt, 30/06, and the last was taken with a 284 Win. But all those between 400 and 500 were with a 340 Wby. As a boomer I hate to use a millennials’ term, but it was “awesome”!
🙂

Last edited by George_De_Vries_3rd; 06/18/22.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Farthest for me has been 400 yards with a 300 win mag pushing a 200 grain accubonds. Bullet clipped bottom of heart and elk fell where it stood.

Others have been at 250 yards or less with same rifle and load.

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
In about 46 elk tagged, 1 over 400yds., 2 others over 300, and the rest less than 250, most of them less than 150.
Hunt!

"The more I am around people the better I like my dog." Mark Twain
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I have shot 8 bulls and 1 cow, 2 at around 150, 6 between 250-350 and one at 415.
For me anything over 350-400 yards is a long shot.

IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
16 bulls and one cow. 48 yards was my closest shot, 351 my longest. Most of my shots were in the 275-325 range.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by Anaconda
95%+ at under 400 yards.

So how many of you actually take elk at 500+ yards, and what percentage of you elk were at longer distance.

I'd agree with everything you've said, and it can also be applied to most all NA big game.

All except the 4X part, there is zero reason to handicap yourself, if even only slightly, with a 4X optic when so many great and affordable variables are available.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I have shot 16 cows and 5 bulls - from the 6.5CM to a pre'64 .338WM. The .338 does have an immediate effect but I no longer can handle that. My average is 185 yards, the longest 390 and the closest 55 yards.
Scopes have been 2.5-8x36 and 3.5-10x40's. The bottom line is a quality bullet in the right place.

Last edited by bigwhoop; 06/18/22.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
95%+ at under 400 yards.

I have killed more elk beyond 800yds than you have in total.

Do what you want and shoot what you want but skip bloviating about what any one else "needs".

Thanks. wink

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I got a hand full of elk... and a lot more unfilled tags than elk....

I got one bull with a 30-06 at 526 yards... shot twice... the holes were 8 inches apart....

I also got two different bulls with a 300wsm at 16yards and one at 12 yards... go figure.

Ya got to kill'em where they are at... no way around it.

Well... we have come to the point.... where... the parasites are killing the host. It's only a matter of time now.

They only win.... when they cheat.
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
I have been an elk hunter since I was a young boy. I am a geezer now.

My one and only shot over 400 yards was at about 420, with a 270 Short Mag.
ALL the rest were closer, with most being a LOT closer.
If I counted all my elk at 300+, I can do it on my fingers and come up with 4 spare fingers. That's going back 56 years too and from 5 different states.

Many many dozens were at 150 and closer, with a large number being under 60 yards.
My closest was at about 8 feet.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
From 40 yards to 750 yards, with 4x to 15x, with 270 win, 284 win, 308 win, 300 wsm, 8x57, 338-06 35 remington, 358 win what difference does it make.

Know your and your equipment's capabilities and limitations and hunt accordingly.

Internet analysis: 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact

Fools & fanatics are always so certain and wise people are always so questioning

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Never killed a elk, they sound very intimidating. I’m thinking high bc bullets and turrets for the win!! Hopefully I “draw a elk tag” someday!! I’m all ears on habits and tactics!!

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The thing that has me mystified about 800 plus yard shooting.

Is finding the animal after the fact!

Unless there is snow, I struggle finding some at even 200!

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Angus,

You stated "the thing that has me mystified about 800 plus yard shooting. Is finding the animal after the fact!"

Couple of ways;

1) Long shots are often two person efforts so 1 person stays back and marks the spot where the animal was standing and then directs the other person to that spot then comes over to help look.

2) Trigonometry. If you are at X/Y lat/lon for the shot which you would have marked with your GPS and you determine the bearing (compass heading) to the animal you can calculate its GPS coordinates for where it was standing by using the bearing and distance.

Obviously, these just get you to the starting point of the tracking.

Last edited by Mike_Dettorre; 06/19/22.

Internet analysis: 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact

Fools & fanatics are always so certain and wise people are always so questioning

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Oh boy...

5 elk under your belt and all at under 100.

You got me beat by miles.

SMH 🤦‍♀️

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks

I figured it takes a few hunters to negotiate the longer distance deal successfully.

I also heard you can “shoot” a location with the newer gps deals.

I like ol Elmer Keith’s quote for my deal

“If u think yer close enough………

Get closer!”

I love it!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Closest - a bull at ~ 60 yards (338)
Furtherest - lead cow at laser measured 350 yards (270)

Both with heavy partitions.

I think that Elmer was spot on. But 350 yards was as close as I could get since there was an open meadow between us and it was near dusk.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
OP,

5 elk.

I think I am close to that. With a 1911.

There are high percentage shots and low percentage shots. The range is really not a factor. You can have a shot in the timber that your odds of making it are bad and a low percentage of a good outcome and you should not take. Same with out in the open if the winds/snow/cold (all of the above) or environmental factors are against you.

You can have a high percentage shot at 50 yards 350 or 650 yards that conditions are good, you have a solid shooting platform, plenty of time to make the shot and you know your comeups because you are well practiced because you shoot all year.

There are always guys who will get on these boards who don't possess the skills, can't read wind or other environmental factors and will tell others because they can't do something, nobody else should either. They stopped learning a long time ago. They will throw in "Yeah-buts". Yeah but the animal can move. As if the person who has spent all that time preparing has not taken that into account in selecting an animal and determining whether it is a good choice for a shooting or not (determining whether it will be a high percentage or low percentage shot).

This is a worn out old topic.

And from someone with 5 elk.

That is like saying. I am a professional driver, I will tell you all about driving and you should listen to me. I have had a driver's license for 5 years and I have been driving for 5 years now.

5 elk is what we call "December" and helping friends and family process meat for the winter/year.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush

That is like saying. I am a professional driver, I will tell you all about driving and you should listen to me. I have had a driver's license for 5 years and I have been driving for 5 years now.

5 elk is what we call "December" and helping friends and family process meat for the winter/year.

I'm having a hard time finding where I claimed to be a professional.
Just asking a question.
Wondering if those with a lot more experience take a high percentage of elk at longer distances.

MOLON LABE
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
But yet you are telling people that a 4X scope is "More than enough".

So is a 2X or 3X just right?

This is a 10X magnified view of some elk in a pic I took from the porch of my cabin.

They are within well range of a certain rifles that I use, as they are just to the right of my target steel.

Would you take a shot at one of these animals at 1/3 this magnification/target size?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've shot 35 elk, 30 bulls and 5 cows.

All were on DIY hunts, most were solo hunts, and most were on public land.

I've shot 2 bulls with my .300 Weatherby and 1 cow with my 7mm Rem mag, all at less than 200 yards.

I shot my first elk with a borrowed .30-40 Krag and he was so far away that with my first few shots, the front sight bead completely covered him. Luckily there was snow on the ground and no other hunters, so after a very long chase I was able to kill him with a 100 yard shot.

I shot my closest elk at 10 yards and the rest were under 250 yards.

I am not in the business of selling long range shooting equipment, so I don't consider shooting animals a half mile away to be sporting. Good shooting yes, but sporting NO.

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by Mike_Dettorre
Angus,

You stated "the thing that has me mystified about 800 plus yard shooting. Is finding the animal after the fact!"

Couple of ways;

1) Long shots are often two person efforts so 1 person stays back and marks the spot where the animal was standing and then directs the other person to that spot then comes over to help look.

2) Trigonometry. If you are at X/Y lat/lon for the shot which you would have marked with your GPS and you determine the bearing (compass heading) to the animal you can calculate its GPS coordinates for where it was standing by using the bearing and distance.

Obviously, these just get you to the starting point of the tracking.

Following up on this.

I took this pic a few years back.

Just dropped an elk with my 300wm and fixed 10X SWFA.

I stepped back and took a pic of the hillside and timber where it was so when I go to it, if I had any issues, I had something to reference. Ended up not being needed, but it is just one more method. It was a mid 400s as I recall.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Great idea!

BTW I was told the biggest bull ever harvested was with a 30/40 Krag!

I love my Springfield!

Was them 1911 elk harvest done with Ackley improved ammo? 😅

Last edited by Angus1895; 06/19/22.

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Would you take a shot at one of these animals at 1/3 this magnification/target size?

Without knowing the range, no I wouldn't.

Very few people have the skill to make clean kills at over 1/4 mile (my opinion)
I've done it on deer and antelope.
I know what it takes and so should you.

With your experience, I assume you have seen some things and met many other hunters in the field.

What percentage of them would you guess are proficient at 500 yards+ ?
What percentage of them would you guess are "under gunned" with a 4X on a 30-06 ?
Honest questions, no offence intended.

MOLON LABE
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I don't try to play the percentages game.

You cannot look at someone and tell what their proficiency level is. For hunting elk in typical western states terrain I would never recommend a scope that tops out at 4x and don't know anyone who would. I have zero issue with a 30-06 considering that I have killed 20+ elk with a .308 and usually pack a puny little 20" T3.

Not every hunters terrain is going to be like your 5 elk hunts. The west has a BUNCH of wide open terrain and elk will often go out into the open sage where they can see threats coming at great distances. If you even come within a half a mile the whole herd will get up and get moving. That is the reality of late season hunts in many places. An early October hunt may be a totally different story, but terrain can vary considerably.

There are about 50 elk in this pic but they are a ways out there:

It can be a brushed up narrow draw and shooting across it.

I crawled through brush to get to a ledge/ vantage point on this one and shoot into the shaded draw:

I just looked at the pic and the notes said 485 yards with a 6.5 CM.

You get both this:

Warm 25 degree days with no snow and wide open terrain where 400 yard shots are going to be the norm.

To the next morning where it is -5 and fresh elk beds and tracks and a max distance high percentage shot might be 150 yards due to the storm

Then in the afternoon it clears up again and a 500 yard shot is in the cards again.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by Angus1895
Great idea!

I love my Springfield!

Was them 1911 elk harvest done with Ackley improved ammo? 😅

Angus

Pretty much all of my 1911 kills have not been intentional hunts.

They have been right place, right time. The first one though was memorable.

I was actually elk hunting, up by Stanley. One of those sunny days where the snow is melting and every two steps up a steep hill you slide one back. I had slung my rifle all the way across my back so I could grab sagebrush with both hands since I was getting tired of falling on my butt. I had arrived late (had worked a nightshift) and was trying to catch up with my dad who was some where ahead of me.

My work gun was my old 70 Series Colt 1911 and I had it on my side. I finally got to the top of a saddle and was standing there bent over with my hands on my knees listening to my heart pounding in my ears when I caught movement. I looked up and it was a cow. (I had a cow tag). She was bedded down on the edge of the saddle. She was starting to stand up, and she only had to take three or four steps and she would be into the timber and gone.

The distance was only about 25 yards and I was shooting a BUNCH of USPSA competition back then. There was no way I could get my rifle off my shoulder. She stood up at the same time I drew. I just shot her right in the ear hole and she collapsed right back into her bed and did the stiff leg thing.

It all happened so fast I just stood there for a minute. I remember thinking "Holy crap! That just happened!". lol.

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Mackay, your experience is appreciated.

MOLON LABE
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Thank you Anaconda,

It is only one perspective of many here. There are a lot of very experienced elk hunters on this board.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
The thing that has me mystified about 800 plus yard shooting.

Is finding the animal after the fact!

Unless there is snow, I struggle finding some at even 200!
The areas where I hunt and John Burns does also,( I believe ,correct me if I am wrong John) are devoid of trees and heavy cover> Even if I hit an animal at distance and it manages to run any distance it is still in plain sight and not an Issue. A spotter is helpful when hunting the wide open, but unless one makes a bad shot tracking it is a non issue.

Last edited by wyoming260; 06/19/22.
MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great idea!

Nope. That would be the #2 bull killed by John Plute. For years it was the world record but fell to the #2 spot when the bull killed by Alonzo Winters was finally officially scored. The Winters bull was killed by a 300 Savage which is still not a huge round so the gist of your post is correct, just not the specific caliber.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've killed 16 or 17 bulls. 10 archery, all under 60 yards and the others with a rifle. None over 300 yards. It's not that hard to get into reasonable elk rifle range if you are a decent stalker. This bull was shot about 275 yards. The toughest thing about elk hunting is drawing a decent tag.

Last edited by centershot; 06/20/22.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
My last......Utah LE November '11

308 with 180 gr Scirrocco with 2 shots

90 yds in his bed

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
95%+ at under 400 yards.

Elk brings out the best and worst of hunting stories. Easy/hard, it doesn't matter.

I have killed my share, but I will also wager that 90% of the elk killed year to year are killed by the same 8-10% of the hunters that do it over and over. I really don't care what people use, but I do get tired of the continuous brag of killing them with small calibers and extreme distances. Sure it can be done, but is it really responsible hunting?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by shrapnel
95%+ at under 400 yards.

Elk brings out the best and worst of hunting stories. Easy/hard, it doesn't matter.

I have killed my share, but I will also wager that 90% of the elk killed year to year are killed by the same 8-10% of the hunters that do it over and over. I really don't care what people use, but I do get tired of the continuous brag of killing them with small calibers and extreme distances. Sure it can be done, but is it really responsible hunting?

+1 on the people that kill elk regularly. It takes dedication and tenacity to kill elk consistently - especially with a bow. I personally live for it.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
95%+ at under 400 yards.

That seems to be the case.

The same guys fill their freezer every year. The same guys complain about how they never shoot any elk.

Frankly, killing elk is not difficult. Shooting them in a location where they are easy (relatively) to recover seems to be the hard part. They get heavier every year.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Out of 20 or 25 elk, one was at 425, one at 550, and one was at 600 yards on the nose. The rest have all been less than 300 yards.

I am set up to go to 600+ but it is for those situations where I don't think I am getting any closer and often it is the last day of the season. A do or die kind of situation. I do prefer to get closer if at all possible but sometimes that just isn't going to happen.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've killed @ 25 elk & guys in my camp have killed @ another 25. I killed one bull with a 54 T/C Renegade, my buddy killed a bull with a T/C 50 cal Hawken & 1 bull was killed with a 300 Win Mag. The rest @ 47 were killed with 30/06 rifles. Using plain jane C & C bullets. One guy from PA wanted to use Partitions---they killed the bull just as dead as the "Core-lokt" All bullets were 180 grain. Scopes were 3x9, 2.5 x8 & several 6X. Leupold, Nikon and a couple of Weavers Shots were from 50 yards to 275. We lost 1 elk-----bad shot on my part--I tried to clip the spine. Several of the bulls were "300" class, small 6x6, raghorns, spikes when legal & cows & calves. We like elk-----we would shoot cows after we all had gotten several bulls over the years. A dry cow is good eatin. Bob

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
95%+ at under 400 yards.

Agreed!

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
95%+ at under 400 yards.

Shrapnel, what do you consider to be the minimum cartridge for bull elk?

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Dre
I’m a baby compared to some. 8 elk in last 12 years of hunting elk.
Still using the trusty 30/06 originally with 180 tsx and 2.5-10 monarch BDC.
Now 168 ttsx. With 3.5-10 vx3 CDS.
40-400 yards.
The 300 win mag sits in the safe. And I bring 270 win with 3-9 CDS 130 ttsx as a back up

You still in Or Dre? Public land hunt success rates are pretty bad/low there. I've hunted there the last 26 years. I ran a similar set up on a model 70 300WSM one year and hated the top heavy feeling that scope gave to the rifle. I've had better luck with smaller scopes on my "elk rifles", mainly Burris FFII 3-9x40 with ballistic plex reticle. My furthest shot has been 200 yards in a somewhat timbered area. The next furthest was 90, using the set up as described above with the Nikon monarch on a spike bull, one cow at that distance when she was on the move, another cow at 30 yards, a bull at 10 yards, another at 30, one at 20 yards. None of the ones I've shot have been considered "long range". However, if I had seen one at 500 yards, it wouldn't have been difficult. Always be prepared for any kind of shot and know your limitations. Most of my elk have been shot at pretty close range for the most part.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
One at 618 yards

Most at 250-350 yards.

One at 25 yards.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It’s weird 4 me….

Thinking bout the ones I got…….

They ain’t burnt in my feeble mind.

Most of my near photographic memories …….

It’s them sum beaches that got away, 😫

Last edited by Angus1895; 06/20/22.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Much of this discussion is do to the country in which we hunt elk.. My first elk hunting was done in the mountains near town. But over the years, elk have expanded their territory, and now they are often found on the plains. Early in my elk hunting career, I found a spot I could get to each day after work.. I never had the luxury of a 10 day hunt until after I retired, by then my elk hunting was on the down swing. The deal was this was an open mountain side. The elk came out late in the evening, never the morning. The shot was long, and in the days before range finders, the flattest shooting rifle I could find was a must. If I went to this spot every evening, I would see elk. Maybe one in a season, maybe several times, but I would get a chance. So much of my elk hunting has been in open country after maybe the first 5 seasons. There are guys in town who hunt the mountains, and probably never kill and elk at over 200 yards. The country in which we hunt is one of the important things about the rifle we select for taking our elk.

Molon Labe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Elk originally were plains animals I believe.

But I have looked a long time for wounded / dead elk in 2.5 foot tall sage brush.

No trees really.

Laying flat, they ain’t much more than 24 inches?

Until they bloat.

Bulls got the antler deal sticking up though.

Last edited by Angus1895; 06/20/22.

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
I’ve only killed nine bulls, all with a 30/06, 180 Accubond at ~ 2740…..23 yds, 25, 75, 100, 150, 225, 250, 350, 475

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Have mostly hunted elk locally in Montana, but also in Colorado, New Mexico and British Columbia. My local experience began on public land in the 1970s, when most were found in thicker timber due to hunting pressure--especially for foot-hunters on public land. While quite a few elk frequent more open valleys these days, they're usually on private land--but even on many local ranches they still tend to hang in heavier timber. The longest shots that my wife and I have taken locally have been around 250 yards, with many under 100.

Hunted with three friends on a local ranch around a decade ago, and we all got 6x6 bulls. But even then the longest shot was 345 yards--made by one of my partners with a .30-06 and 180-grain factory ammunition.

The longest shot I've taken was on a ranch in Colorado, close to 400 yards. But the weather was pretty cold and snowy, and most elk were in more protected terrain, whether timbered or draws.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Well, I haven't taken an elk anywhere near 500 yards. I've seen some but didn't plan to start shooting at that range and still don't.

My longest elk was about 225 yards, my shortest no more than 25 yards. Most have been 60-125 yards. I hunt elk brushy areas and long shots are few and far between. I shoot more deer at longer ranges than elk. Often with deer just a bit shorter than 300 yards is needed frequently. I got to 85 yards for my bighorn. I did have to shoot my pronghorn at 268 yards. Point being, I prefer to be close.

Just why you have strong opinions about the correct equipment escapes me. For what it is worth I use 2.5-8, 3-9x40 and 3.5-10 scopes on elk guns. A 4x I used for a few years wouldn't resolve antlers on a couple of spikes so I changed up.

Your chamberings are fine with me. I used a .308 Winchester for several years . Now generally an '06. Even so, I still use my .338 when I get a good tag.

I don't think you should leave magnums out of the mix where more open country is involved. I plan on using my .308 Norma and/or my .300 Weatherby when I hunt Wyoming where my oldest boy lives.

I do practice shooting at longer range and if needed, I believe I could hit at 500 yards with my main elk rifles. That said, I don't plan on taking a first shot past 300 yards. I did on a deer (465) and the goat roping involved in finding it put me off.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
25 to 30 elk for me. Been hunting them for about 50 yrs. Only one over 300 yards (around 325 or so). Majority between 100 and 200 yds except archery kills. I’m old, I use wood/blue rifles in either 308 win or 270 win, and a 3-9x40 scope. I wouldn’t take a shot at 400 plus, but that’s just me.

M
MOW Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I've have 2 elk to my name, both under 50 yards. 2 years ago when I went with some friends, we tagged 5 elk, all under 100 yards. Four were shot with 308s and one with 300 mag. What's my point, match your gun and scope with where you are hunting. There is no need for high power scopes and magnums in the thick timber where we hunt, but our 308s and low power scope would be challenging in wide open, cross canyon type hunting.

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by MOW
I've have 2 elk to my name, both under 50 yards. 2 years ago when I went with some friends, we tagged 5 elk, all under 100 yards. Four were shot with 308s and one with 300 mag. What's my point, match your gun and scope with where you are hunting. There is no need for high power scopes and magnums in the thick timber where we hunt, but our 308s and low power scope would be challenging in wide open, cross canyon type hunting.
But what if you stalk thru the black timber all morning looking for gleaming eyeballs, then come to the edge of enormous canyon, and all your elk are now on the opposite slope 600 yards distant? Then what?

M
MOW Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by Plumdog
Originally Posted by MOW
But what if you stalk thru the black timber all morning looking for gleaming eyeballs, then come to the edge of enormous canyon, and all your elk are now on the opposite slope 600 yards distant? Then what?
Won't happen where I hunt, but if you hunt there, I would choice a set up for that environment. Or, just sit back and watch them and enjoy the day.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by MOW
Remember that a bloodspot is very hard to find after crossing a large canyon to start tracking your wounded elk.

― George Orwell

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
It’s been a long time since I killed an elk. Sadly. 9 feet to 425 yards. All but three under 300 yards. I have never desired to shoot beyond my ability from my best field position, which is sitting over sticks. That limit is about 400 yards in calm winds. The 425 was not a good shooting day as he was running across alfalfa field. I prefer to hunt close.
I also have no desire to carry the gear to create high percentage longer range shots.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like a 6 power LRD reticle for daylight hunting.

Twilight, snow tracking, I like a 1.5 to 4 illuminated burris

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Depends a lot on where you hunt. Where I hunt in north Idaho its usually heavy timber and thick. I have taken over a dozen elk and I don't think any of them were over a hundred yards.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by BlueDuck
Depends a lot on where you hunt. Where I hunt in north Idaho its usually heavy timber and thick. I have taken over a dozen elk and I don't think any of them were over a hundred yards.
I'm at the other end, in southern, ID where it's often wide open and you can see for miles. Even at that, my longest shot on a couple dozen I've shot was 350 yds. There's always a way to get closer.

― George Orwell

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Tired subject at best.

It’s your story, tell it like you want to…

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by BlueDuck

And what you hunt with. It's been my experience that very few bowhunters or muzzleloaders take 300 yard shots.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
John Janovy junior told me in a lecture.

There are stupid questions

One u already know the answer too.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have killed 16 elk, 14 bulls and 2 cows, most killed with a 300 Weatherby with a 3.5-10 Leupold shooting 180 Nosler Partitions. My longest shot was 512 yards (300 BEE) and my shortest was 150 it ards with a 6.5 GAP 4S.

My go to rig now is a Gunwerks RevX in 7mm RM shooting 168 Bergers and a 5-25 Nightforce ATACR. I wish I could get shots at elk closer, they all seem to be 400 yards plus.

I've never had an elk get up after being knocked down with any of the cartridges I've used to kill them (300 and 7mm BEE, 270 WSM and 6.5 GAP 4S). I shoot a lot and regularly practice from 300 to 1000 yards. My shot distance limit is 500 yards and I prefer them much closer.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Who is John Janovy?

Was that a stupid question?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
John Janovy would have been the lecturers father.

Yep

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N

It’s called “stump the instructor” or “stump the speaker”.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not to be confused with

Stump Broke 🤠

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by MOW
Remember that a bloodspot is very hard to find after crossing a large canyon to start tracking your wounded elk.
Even if the Elk falls right there, it will be tough to find if your alone.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by MOW

What is your point?

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
My longest was 450 on a spike in OR, shortest was a cow in the Timber at maybe 15 steps outside Sheridan. I practice my butt off to be proficient at as long a distance as I can shoot all summer, which is usually around 800. Our group has a mess of elk around the 250-275 with a few as far as 675 yards.

Everything has worked great from a 270 up to a 338 Win Mag.

Semper Fi
P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by MOW

What is your point?
Just poking fun at this thread! Elk hunting and cartridge/rifle discussion that never ends.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
95%+ at under 400 yards.

For Big Mike Werner

243 Win

Lol

🦫

PS

SLM, say’s you’re still a ball bag

😳

“Molon Labe”
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
John Janovy would have been the lecturers father.

Yep

Is he related to Jon Bon Jovi?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I propose Mule Deer said it best when ….

And I paraphrase:

I came to realize no cartridge was gonna change my life

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I'm in it for the tasty dinner. Cow elk, or a spike at most. I use whatever cartridge I'm currently not bored with. I've used from .257 Roberts to .400 Jeffery.

Now my brother is a different story. He's a head hunter. What's on his Wall Of Dead is never good enough. Pretty sure his scope has a built in tape measure.

On his next hunt they run him through a LR shooting course, then using that rifle they head into the hills.

Different folks, different strokes.

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I totally agree with center shot

The hardest part of ( trophy) elk hunting is drawing a tag.

Effort ,and Hard work , experience help also.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would suggest that's there's a difference with someone who lives in elk country and can hunt often and choose their shots based on conditions and recovery effort and "the rest of us" who may travel at great expense of time and money for a once in a lifetime hunt and wanting to be in a position to take any reasonable shot that they are qualified to make a high percentage of the time. I still believe in hunting v shooting and prefer to get as close as possible to any game I'm hunting but in the case of out of state elk, I'd want a rifle scope combo capable for me to have the power necessary for a clean kill out to 400 yards. My likely choice would be 308 or 30-06 with 180s or 7mm with 160s.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
All of mine have been under 125-yards and a long shot would be 250-yards. Other areas of the state I could see maybe longer.

Good Shooting!
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Here we go, now Mikey is going to want to throw on his dress shoes, borrow the wife’s grocery getter and go on an ass kicking road trip again.

He gets side tracked pretty easy though, he stopped in Amarillo for a Chippendales show and wound up hooking up with one of the roadies and never made it last time.

Originally Posted by Beaver10
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
95%+ at under 400 yards.

For Big Mike Werner

243 Win

Lol

🦫

PS

SLM, say’s you’re still a ball bag

😳

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
LMA0 🤣🦫

“Molon Labe”
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
High teens on elk killed, the closest 11 yards longest 550 yards. We hunt open country most of the time so my average distance has been just under 300 yards.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I have killed 8 elk in my hunting life. Not as many "kills" as some on here. My closest was 65 yds with a 30-06 with a 180gr. Hornady, longest was a lasered 410yds with a 300WM and 180gr Accubond.

I have had many elk rifles over the years, but all of my kills could have been handled with my 30-06 I bought when I was 21yo! But, where's the fun in just one rifle!

Elk Country

"I refuse to waste my common sense on those who have been educated beyond their intelligence"

All you need to know about Democrats is they call American citizens "Deplorables" and illegal immigrants "Dreamers"!
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I have essentially hunted with one or two other guys my entire lifetime. We were not always the same, but 3 is a pretty good average of hunters in our camp over 6 DECADES . I won't talk about the number of elk, because I tire of being called names from those who have not had my, or our success. Anyway, shortest distance of any elk killed that I can remember was right around 20-40 yards. I probably have 8 or 9 of those myself. As others have mentioned not many are killed at that distance . Two years ago we took a bull at 600+ yards and another close to that. Mine that year was 330, and my best ever with a rangefinder was 540. There are probably a few more at that distance or farther, but not having a rangefinder sometime confuses reality. The last bull I killed was at 420 and a cow with a muzzleloader at 40. I would guess that average distance including me and my group over all of those years is around 300 yards. When your hunting the wide open ridges and canyons, the distance adds up fast. I consider 300 yards is point blank, and that is my primary practicing distance. The vast majority of these elk were taken with magnum rifles.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
The country in which we hunt is one of the important things about the rifle we select for taking our elk.[/quote]

As a native Texan I got to bowhunt elk in Colorado when I was a young man (1980-81), but unfortunately belong to the "missed an elk" club. Fast Forward, 11 yrs later. Had a back operation, worn out knees, and finally moved here to elk country (Utah). If I wanted to hunt elk, I had to "pick my hunt and terrain" as I am just not physically a bull anymore, ha. I have only killed 4 cows in about the last 25yrs. My average is roughly 171yds ( 135, 200,250,100) ( 30-06, 375 H&H, 338WM, 300WM) Only the one I took at 250yds I don't "think" I could have killed with my old iron sighted 30-30, but look at the fun I had/have!! I love the hunt, messing with rifles, but I have always known my own abilities. The ONLY time I ever saw a bull was ONLY when I had a cow tag, ha. But I don't care, I love it all. Now, age and more surgeries has me even more limited, physically, but I'm still "17" inside! ha Life is short, do what you like to do, but you better hurry! smile

Last edited by Jim_Knight; 07/01/22.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Been practicing the last couple of days. Distance 433 yards with two separate rifles. Prone position on the ground with two of my hunting rifles. The first 300 WM group 9 inches just outside the bull,, one called flyer. Second group was 7 inches inside the bull at 12. The the third group 3.7 " at 10 o'clock. Kimber light weight second group 280 AI, 2.75 inches at 5 o"clock. An adjustment or two will get it in closer to center. The Kimber is new to me with two elk, one at 420 the other at 310 or so. With the 300 WM, 40 plus, I will get better as the summer goes on with more range time. I only have a window of a couple of hours each day, and one or two days of manageable wind conditions out of every 10 days. It takes 6 min each way, to get to the target on my 4 wheeler, so the available time gets eaten up fast.

Last edited by elkmen1; 07/02/22.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
500 yard cow, .264 Winchester, 147 ELD-M, scope on 20X

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
500 yard cow, .264 Winchester, 147 ELD-M, scope on 20X

The stuff my dreams are made of!! ha

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Longest at ~ 325 yds. I knocked him down with my '06, don't remember what bullet (C&C)
Most have been at 200, mas o menos. Usually 165 gr. Sierra GK's.
Don't remember any close kills.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Of course most guys will get as close as they can if the opportunity presents itself, but to dictate what power scope, which bullet, and which rifle is sufficient is nonsense and shows your lack of experience. Every hunt is different and you have to be capable of what comes up or go home empty handed. I prefer to be prepared.

If you hunt West coast jungles like Judman does mostly, you will be mostly shooting at point blank range and usually quickly. If you're hunting the wide open spaces like John Burns you will be doing a lot of walking where elk can see you from a long ways off so you better be good at long range shooting and even then you will probably need to be able to sneak pretty good just to get to what most would consider long range... or you could hunt across canyons like we do most years or across farmer's winter wheat fields. The longest shots I've had were 600 yards (well 599 according to the LRF) across a canyon, 450 yards across a canyon, and 515 yards across a farmer's winter wheat field . But of the 16-20 elk I've killed, most have been in the 150-250 range. Even the long shots I've made with a 3-9 or 2.5 - 10 scope and didn't have any trouble placing my shot, but I would have preferred a bit more if I had the chance at the moment. I now carry a 4.5 x 14 on my present elk rifle.

The trick is to know when not to shoot. Even at short range there are times when the shot is bad- moving elk, brush in the way, a bad place to recover an elk, can't get a steady shot for one reason or another, etc... lots of reasons. But that all comes with experience and patience, which takes a few hunts to get there... I've probably passed up more short to medium range shots than some for these reasons...

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Sheister
The trick is to know when not to shoot. Even at short range there are times when the shot is bad- moving elk, brush in the way, a bad place to recover an elk, can't get a steady shot for one reason or another, etc... lots of reasons. But that all comes with experience and patience, which takes a few hunts to get there... I've probably passed up more short to medium range shots than some for these reasons...

Bob

NAILED it...

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Over 25 elk so far, farthest was 327 yards.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Every Elk ever taken in America was shot either under or over 100yds.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Except the ones Shrapnel killed with his pickup.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O

That sounds like a typical day chasing elk, black bear, or blacktail deer a Pacific Northwest tree farm. A typical sporting rifle with a typical 3-9 scope handles quickly enough for the close shots and can still reach out for the long ones. I don't have enough experience with true long-range rigs to know how they handle in the brush, but I'd bet that they'd work if the hunter puts in the reps to get it right. Use any cartridge you like, but know the range at which your bullet is going too slow to expand and stay within that.

The key is to train for both types of shots. Too few hunters actually practice and almost none of them actually train. There's a BIG difference.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by okie john

That sounds like a typical day chasing elk, black bear, or blacktail deer a Pacific Northwest tree farm. A typical sporting rifle with a typical 3-9 scope handles quickly enough for the close shots and can still reach out for the long ones. I don't have enough experience with true long-range rigs to know how they handle in the brush, but I'd bet that they'd work if the hunter puts in the reps to get it right. Use any cartridge you like, but know the range at which your bullet is going too slow to expand and stay within that.

The key is to train for both types of shots. Too few hunters actually practice and almost none of them actually train. There's a BIG difference.

Okie John

This is the reason that hunters should be prepared for close shots as well as longer shots. This includes choice of scopes and proper bullet selection. Limiting yourself with skills, cartridges, scopes and bullets expecting only close shots or only long shots seriously limits your elk hunting if you are a responsible hunter! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have found that weaver style bases and Burris rings the scope would rock loose while in the saddle scabbard

I now use quick detach rings and a rifle/carbine that sports iron sights. When I am mule back the scopes not attached to the firearm.

This thread got me thinking if one needed a close range and a long range scope two different scopes could be taken.

I personally haven’t any plans on shooting over 400 yards so I haven’t set up two scopes. But maybe this year I will.

On a side note iron sights seem more usable than a scope in wet heavy snowfall.

Last edited by Angus1895; 07/07/22.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
A few years ago I had built a long range rig in 7 Rem mag, 6.5 x 20 Mark 4 Leupold with turrets, 168 grn Nosler LRAB with H1000. Shoots great, and I regularly practice on steel to 800 yds. That said, my longest shot on an elk was a bull at 412 yds.

Ive taken around 10-15 head of elk with that rifle, in Wyoming and Idaho, mostly between 250-375 yds.

The balance of the rest of the elk Ive taken (another 30-40 hunting 2 states) were all under 350 yds or so. Closest was a small 6x6 at 70 ish yds.

My hunting has gone full circle. The "long range rig" hasn't been used on game in a couple years. I'm kinda over it at this point. The last 2 bulls I killed were using a 45-70 Sharps with blackpowder and a paperpatch bullet, and a .348 Winchester. I drew a muzzleloader tag locally this year so will be using that, at least here in Idaho.

Regards,
Manny

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This topic still going on? smile

Closest: 4 inches. Longest: 690 yards plus whatever a steep down angle added to that topo map measurement. 13 yards, 125 yds., 100, 175, 30, 40, 450, etc…

There have been some excellent posts on this thread, including to be prepared for close or far. I played hide and seek with an elk 40 feet from me in a thicket on the rim of a canyon. I moved a few feet, could see across the canyon and killed an elk at 450 yards, all within a minute or two.

There are several questions going on here. It becomes a touchy subject depending on which one we answer, plus we often add a personal angle.

Question 1. How far does a person have to shoot to kill an elk? Archery hunters answer that one.

Question 2. How far away can I get and still brag that I’ve killed an elk? Ever evolving answer.

Question 3. What is the smallest/lowest powered firearm I can use and still kill an elk?

Question 4. How can anyone have a different opinion or experience than mine, and not be an idiot? laugh

Question 5. (No one asks this one but it is the most pertinent). How much do my hunting preferences, hunting style and my assumptions about hunting influence how close I am to the elk I shoot?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Largest bull elk- with a takedown 1895 Winchester in .405 at 90 yards. Same distance on largest bull moose-95 yards with
a Model 71 in 348 Ackley Imp-270 gr 348 bullet.

Not much mentioned about the guide and hunter mauled by grizzly and 2-yr old cub that took over a bull
elk arrowed the afternoon before, outside Yellowstone Park 3 years ago. Guide killed by the bear.
The widow probably would agree that a .405 would not have been too much gun as a backup rifle.
Carry a rifle as Bob Hagel states: to use that's big enough when everything goes wrong.

Use Enough Gun-Ruark

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena-not the critic"-T. Roosevelt
There are no atheists in fox holes or in the open doors of a para's aircraft.....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MOW

Tangent, but an important one. A compass can pinpoint a spot or blood trail across an enormous canyon. My compass put us within 6 feet of a blood trail across such a canyon. It also got me within 35 yards of a bedded mule deer over half a mile up and across a ragged cliffy basin. You have to shoot a precise compass bearing from the spot where the critter was hit to some precise small spot that will be easy to see from the critter's side of the canyon BEFORE YOU MOVE FROM WHERE YOU SHOT. That could be an orange cap or vest hung at the spot of the shot.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Okanagan
Originally Posted by MOW

Tangent, but an important one. A compass can pinpoint a spot or blood trail across an enormous canyon. My compass put us within 6 feet of a blood trail across such a canyon. It also got me within 35 yards of a bedded mule deer over half a mile up and across a ragged cliffy basin. You have to shoot a precise compass bearing from the spot where the critter was hit to some precise small spot that will be easy to see from the critter's side of the canyon BEFORE YOU MOVE FROM WHERE YOU SHOT. That could be an orange cap or vest hung at the spot of the shot.
IOW, take a careful reading and shoot a back azimuth from the far side.

― George Orwell

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Okanagan
Originally Posted by MOW

Yup, things look a lot different when you get way over there and don't recognize the spot you saw through your scope... the couple times I have shot that far I've been lucky to have someone next to me to spot as I make my way to the spot.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
95%+ at under 400 yards.

I have killed more elk beyond 800yds than you have in total.

Do what you want and shoot what you want but skip bloviating about what any one else "needs".

Thanks. wink

It's Monday, and yet you put a smile on my face....Bloviating!!!! grin wink laugh

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Sad that anyone would brag about shooting at an Elk at 800 yards.

Shows complete lack of respect for the animal. You have to wonder how many were missed or wounded and lost, but we'll never know because it's "classified" with no independently verified data.

Next we'll be hearing they were shot with a 6.5 Creedmore.

Sad that sniper wannabes are polluting our sport and leaving more horror stories to feed the anti-hunting gristmill. They have forgotten or never learned the meaning of the hunt.

“As all hunters, the people of the Americas relied on the skills of stalking, tracking, and trapping to get close to their quarry, so the range and power of the weapon were not so important as the craft of hunting.” – Robert Hardy

Paranoia strikes deep
Into your life it will creep
It starts when you're always afraid
Step out of line, the man come and take you away
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You should really look into having that pole removed from your asss.....

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by huntsman22

He's got to remove his head first..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by UpThePole

Sad that sniper wannabes are polluting our sport

Not as sad as sock puppets like you polluting our forums.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by NVhntr

Sad that sniper wannabes are polluting our sport

Not as sad as sock puppets like you polluting our forums.
If you're shooting all that many elk that far out, try getting closer.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Sad, that so many who can't shoot are polluting our hunt.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
Sad, that so many who can't shoot are polluting our hunt.

I don't really care how long of a shot a guy takes, as long as they can make it happen with just 1. That is 1 shot to kill the elk!!! If a guy can consistently make an 800 yard shot, take it, but don't be guessing or wounding animals. This schidt is really not hard: Know your abilities and don't shoot outside those boundaries... Not everyone has the same ability or skill.

BSA MAGA
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Nobody can "consistently" make an 800 yard shot on a living animal in real world conditions.

Damn few can make an 800 yard shot on a fixed target with wind flags every 100 yards.

In fact damn few can make 100% killing shots at 300 yards in real world conditions.

But wolves and Yotes have to eat too. Easier for them to take down a cripple than a healthy animal.

Paranoia strikes deep
Into your life it will creep
It starts when you're always afraid
Step out of line, the man come and take you away
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Nobody can "consistently" make an 800 yard shot on a living animal in real world conditions.

Damn few can make an 800 yard shot on a fixed target with wind flags every 100 yards.

In fact damn few can make 100% killing shots at 300 yards in real world conditions.

But wolves and Yotes have to eat too. Easier for them to take down a cripple than a healthy animal.

That may be, but why put down those "damn few" who can do those things? That isn't to mention not everyone who takes those long shots at critters take any shot they have, though some do. Plenty of folks have the discipline to stay off the trigger at whatever range unless everything "feels" right. You're wanting to punish good behavior right alongside the bad.

Something tells me you're one of those people who I wouldn't trust to responsibly make a 100 yard shot on a critter.....so maybe everyone should be limited to that distance???

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Shows complete lack of respect for the animal. You have to wonder how many were missed or wounded and lost, but we'll never know because it's "classified" with no independently verified data.

Sad that sniper wannabes are polluting our sport and leaving more horror stories to feed the anti-hunting gristmill. They have forgotten or never learned the meaning of the hunt.

“As all hunters, the people of the Americas relied on the skills of stalking, tracking, and trapping to get close to their quarry, so the range and power of the weapon were not so important as the craft of hunting.” – Robert Hardy

I sure hope you never, ever take a shot at running game. Shots on running game leave more horror stories, and hypocrisy is a terrible thing.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

You are an idiot without a clue..

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Lots of guys can and do make long shots because they can and that is what is presented. Every time this stupid statement comes up from someone I am reminded how many guys I've seen who are lucky to hit a deer or elk at 50 yards, but brag the deer or elk they shot was at least 600 yards away- until you prove to them with a LRF that it was actually only 150 or 200 yards.... IMO, those are the guys who are sending wounded animals into the next canyon or county to be eaten by coyotes, wolves, etc....

Having the discipline to shoot when the shot is right, regardless of the distance, is what ethics is really about. On top of that, animals that are a distance away are seldom spooked and are quite often standing still for the shot and you have time for a good broadside turn for the best sight picture.... all depends on your perspective.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Pot meet kettle.

Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

You are an idiot without a clue..

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Run this up your pole hole. 🖕🏾

🦫

“Molon Labe”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Changed your diaper today Maser?

LMAO ! Ole NoElkSlayer/ Maser/ Jason Cardenas has never seen an Elk. Much less shot one.
Kinda hard to make 800 yard shots with your Daisy Red Ryder BB Gun. 😂😂😂

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
40 years of hunting elk and about 20 taken, Longest shot was 487 yards with a 338WM but most an of my rifles could have handled the shot. Next longest was 411 followed by 400, 350 and then all the rest at 300 and under. Closest opportunity was about 20-25 feet but I passed and took another at about 25 yards.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Never hunted anything bigger than Whitetail. Longest shot 75 yards rest about 50 yards. Still takes a keen eye and controlled breathing.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I’ve got a 225 yard range at home & a 500 yard elk vitals sized rock. Nobody in our group can’t hit that rock 1st shot from a field rest including 12 year old grandson. We take 2 trips to a ranch with a setup to over 1200 yards with gusty winds to prepare. 12”x24” metal targets so narrower than an elks lungs. Shooting seated resting on my pack 7&800 yards are doable over 70% of the time wind dependent using a 300 Weatherby 180 grain TTSX & Zeiss z800 reticle. The preparation during the year makes it much easier to make a 400 -500 yard shot at an elk. Average for 20 animals is a little under 300 in the area we hunt.

Most hunters don’t practice & prepare adequately for longer shots at game. Some who hunt successfully are lucky to hit a pie plate at 200 yards off a bench. We know a guy well with that skill level. He took a running shot at a bull at 500 yards. I told him that elk was in more danger of being struck by lightning than that bullet. Some shots are missed even by well prepared hunters but most by guys shooting beyond their effective range.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
in fact damn few can make 100% killing shots at 300 yards in real world conditions.

So what you're saying is that military trained snipers do not actually kill out past that range, you are a fool.

Last edited by elkmen1; 08/19/22.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Just asking a question.
Wondering if those with a lot more experience take a high percentage of elk at longer distances.
No kidding, that was real DB reply to the OPs question.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 257Bob

Just asking a question.
No kidding, that was real DB reply to the OPs question.

Disagree. When someone makes a statement with an ‘absolute’ about what is ‘only’ needed for elk, or any hunting for that matter, without having a vast amount of experience hunting different types of territory.

The poster is hanging a shingle that reads ‘Come prove me wrong’....Which wasn’t hard to do, if you read the original post.

🦫

“Molon Labe”
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I've only taken a paltry 4 cow elk...in 30 yrs out here, ha. However, I am blessed to have shot many ( a couple dozen) elk sized Plains Game in South Africa. ( Bear with me) My average on the cow elk is 174yds, with the farthest at 250yds. In South Africa, 45yds to 90yds with 150yd was tops. The longest shooting in my life was in Namibia ( very open) and I killed the majority of my game around 130 -150yds; only 2 were at 370-380yds and one at 300yds. I personally do not "like" shooting far. I grew up in the Big Thicket of East Texas. Took me 20yrs to get a long shot (which was on a pipeline Right of Way) at 276 long steps, the rest were from 60yds to 90yds! I hunted with a bow hard for 5 yrs straight (deer/hogs) there and for mule deer in Colorado. All the game shot in Texas was 10yds and under, 35-45 in Colorado. BUT, bowhunting taught me "how" to be a hunter. So, some guys like to shoot way out there, and hunt in places where they can. I practice out to 300yds here, but I check my rifles grouping out to 500, just in case one gets wounded. I just won't shoot at game anymore out past 300 or a bit. But that's just me. I know I can get "in amongst them"....:) PS I'm so jealous of all you guys that have killed dozens of them!!!!

Last edited by Jim_Knight; 08/26/22.
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
I have taken 1 elk.it took me 17 years to draw a PA tag, it was a cow. After three days of my guide and I walking the mountain and low lands I had a chance to score, two adult cows and a young 6 pt bull walked out into a turnip field out of the trees at 155 yards according to my range finder. The longest shot I had made to date. Where I hunt deer 100 yds is a long shot. I was shooting a 30-06 off my bog pod. One shot behind the shoulder, she took one step and went down. When we gutted her I found i had shot off the top of the heart. She was 4 years old and weighed approx 650lbs live weight. I had this rign made from one of the ivory's.[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by oldtimr1; 08/27/22.

The more I get to know people, the better I like dogs, life is short, eat dessert first.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
She sure had a purty mouth......

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Ran into a young man today who hunts in one of the Units that I hunt. Its open country with deep canyons, lots of openings and pockets of dense timber. Its steep and ugly and those that go there year after year are serious hunters. He hunts with friends and relatives and huts several miles from my camping spot. He is in his late thirties and killed a similar number of elk . They average 7 bull elk out of the unit annually and average shot is out near the 500 + yard mark, with his longest kill at 1150 yards, and many at 500 plus. He has never lost one he has hit. He practices frequently has a custom 7 mm Mag, and seems pretty much dialed in.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by kingston
Except the ones Shrapnel killed with his pickup.
Me too.
My record is 3...at once.
I have a few one kill events, with various pickups.
A cow catcher saves the pickup imo.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Good lord, it never ceases to amaze me the shiit a guy reads here!! 😂😂

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

800 yards is a chip shot if you use a 350 yard zero.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Judman
Never killed a elk, they sound very intimidating. I’m thinking high bc bullets and turrets for the win!! Hopefully I “draw a elk tag” someday!! I’m all ears on habits and tactics!!
I've hunted more elk than all you combined have shot!

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
I suspect you have hunted more elk than you have shot as well!

The more I get to know people, the better I like dogs, life is short, eat dessert first.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Don't project your your lack of experience, proficiency and skill on to others.

Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
I've seen more well-shot game lost with TSXs than any other premium bullet.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W

Exactly where does one shoot 300yds not in "real world conditions?"

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
UtP lives in a fake world. 300 yards is not that tough!

Molon Labe
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter

Relatively short distance for some..

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

🤣🤣

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Judman
Good lord, it never ceases to amaze me the shiit a guy reads here!! 😂😂
Ain’t that the truth! 🤣🤣🤣

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

Billion percent made up bullshit, trollbait...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

300 yards? My wife has made numerous kills between 300 and 400 yards on game from Pronghorn to elk …..often from a sitting position! 300 yards is pretty much a “chip shot”! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by memtb

300 yards? My wife has made numerous kills between 300 and 400 yards on game from Pronghorn to elk …..often from a sitting position! 300 yards is pretty much a “chip shot”! memtb

For most people who hunt the west it is. Most.....

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Shows complete lack of respect for the animal.

What is the proper way to show respect for an animal that you're shooting with a rifle?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by huntsman22

PoleUpTheAss??

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter

I do that in NRL22X matches

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I consider 300 yards as POINT BLANK, assuming your gear is up to the task. My 50 year old post 64 Model 70 will do sub MOA out to 650 (the longest I can shoot from my backyard), if I am doing my job.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Is there a distance when the accuracy of a projectile changes?

I have heard of some shooters believing the bullet “ comes home” and improves after the first few hundred yards ?

I don’t shoot enough to have an opinion, but I remember seeing an old Time / life article made in the 1940s where they photographed a bullet that appeared very unstable.

Thanks

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Depends on a lot of things, but generally a good, high BC bullet will be accurate at 100 yards and also accurate to as far as it will go before dropping through the sound barrier. Then it's anybody's guess what will happen. Some bullets stabilize slightly more later in flight than others but it doesn't mean they will be any less accurate or stable from what I've read and discussed with others...

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Is there a distance when the accuracy of a projectile changes?

I have heard of some shooters believing the bullet “ comes home” and improves after the first few hundred yards ?

I don’t shoot enough to have an opinion, but I remember seeing an old Time / life article made in the 1940s where they photographed a bullet that appeared very unstable.

Thanks

It’s my understanding that many projectiles lose stability as they drop below the speed of sound! I can’t verify that, as I don’t shoot that far or that accurately! 😉 memtb

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

362 members (1minute, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 42 invisible), 2,587 guests, and 1,220 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,714
Posts18,457,014
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.