Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I've come to truly hate shipping. Almost makes me angry thinking about it.... I enjoy rifles but most of them are just things. Many are tied to memories that make them special but in the end they're still just things. I doubt I'll ever sell more than a couple just to avoid shipping.....

BP-B6

Ward Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
What I've heard and observed. There are a lot of old guys like me selling. Classic rifles don't sell as well to most younger shooters as anything called 'tactical.' Still, current demand offsets the drawbacks and stuff sells.

I've given away several guns and will continue to do that and sell more, too. Luckily, I have a friends who hold FFL's so I can transfer through them and not get in trouble with the state of Washington. Money generated is going straight to travel with a deluxe fishing trip coming up next.

Retirement comes within the year and I'll be real close to age 69 when I finally hang things up. I don't need cash from selling stuff to do what I reasonably want but I also want to take time to sell possessions rather than be like a dying friend who had a panic sale yielding prices that left him deeply disappointed.

There are lots of things I want to do in retirement. Lots of stuff I'd like to learn before leaving earth, a few more hunting trips and fishing. Mostly, I vow to take as good care of my wife as she's taken care of me.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I have a habit of selling one and buying two. Someday I should take inventory and see what I have. I’m a looney.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by moosemike
No I'm still adding. I'm trying to add a 32 Special but for some reason I want it to be a post 64. I guess because 9 out of 10 32's seem to be pre 64's. Post 64 32's are rare bears

Yeah, I saw a pre 64 32 special for $500 yesterday. It wasn't in bad condition, but I don't know much about the cartridge... The shop said they had ammo for it..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by PintsofCraft
I should probably look more objectively at thinning the collection - especially of duplicates. Nice to read how you all are confronting the idea.

I ain’t there yet….. grin

Nope, we are still young enough that we don't have to worry about that for quite a while. We can still buy a few more before we have to worry.. I've been taking advantage of some pretty good deals here lately. Even bought a brand new rifle, which is odd for me..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
I should probably look more objectively at thinning the collection - especially of duplicates. Nice to read how you all are confronting the idea.

Nope, we are still young enough that we don't have to worry about that for quite a while. We can still buy a few more before we have to worry.. I've been taking advantage of some pretty good deals here lately. Even bought a brand new rifle, which is odd for me..
There have definitely been some decent deals sneaking through.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

There have definitely been some decent deals sneaking through.

I almost bought a Ruger 10-22 deluxe model in excellent condition yesterday with my new Tikka. They only wanted $300 for it. I guess you can't buy them all, but it was damn tempting. Now I'm starting to regret not just adding it to the 4473..

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Ward
Anybody else ready to sell? The current demand and an upcoming generation not much interested in blued steel and wood make me think it is time to sell. Plus I have travel dreams that selling a few rifles will help fulfill while my 68 year old carcas cans till enjoy life.
I'm right there with ya, brother.... smile

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by louiethedrifter
I have a habit of selling one and buying two. Someday I should take inventory and see what I have. I’m a looney.

Me too, sold three Kleinguenthers, bought five Sako’s
I have these three 700’s, none shot more than 20 times I’m gonna sell before long. My son in law works security at the gun show in Conroe, might let him sell them for me. I’m bad about buying a gun, gather up mounts and scope, sight it in, covet something else. I need rifle buyers rehab, an intervention or something.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by hanco; 06/20/22.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by SKane
Anybody else ready to sell? The current demand and an upcoming generation not much interested in blued steel and wood make me think it is time to sell. Plus I have travel dreams that selling a few rifles will help fulfill while my 68 year old carcas cans till enjoy life.

Yep Ive sold a few. given a few away, and any funds generated go directly to travel for hunting.I'm 70, no heirs.....

Uncle Ingwe - don't forget about me. laugh

Oh CRAP!

I did forget about you!

I just sold yours..... laugh

Bastid.
Personal check will be fine. laugh

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
I've come to truly hate shipping. Almost makes me angry thinking about it.... I enjoy rifles but most of them are just things. Many are tied to memories that make them special but in the end they're still just things. I doubt I'll ever sell more than a couple just to avoid shipping.....

Ditto - my old FFL used to ship for me as a paid service, and I sold a number of guns here and elsewhere. But, he's since closed shop, my new one won't ship 'em, and I'd rather avoid the hassle.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

Yep Ive sold a few. given a few away, and any funds generated go directly to travel for hunting.I'm 70, no heirs.....

Uncle Ingwe - don't forget about me. laugh

Oh CRAP!

I did forget about you!

I just sold yours..... laugh

Bastid.
Personal check will be fine. laugh

But Ive squandered all my riches on wasteful things like food and shelter. The rest was wisely spent on whiskey and women.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
I haven't sold any. But I have given several away to friends who apricate rifles and shotguns. My step daughter and her family hunt, but they are not shooters. I am giving several of the heavies away as I ago along. The mundane stuff they can deal with.

Molon Labe
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Yep , been turning a few loose myself .
Gave decent prices on them and some happy buyers .
Kenneth

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC

You and me both! Now it’s worse than ever: risky, expensive, and troublesome. Every seller I’ve dealt with has horror stories; just heard another yesterday when I completed a purchase. The nearest shipping location for me is 45 minutes away, and unless the manager, whom I know well, is there I’m likely in for a bunch of grief from the help. No thanks.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If selling a rifle helps you fund something you would rather do than look at said rifle, then yes, sell it and travel and consider it a smart trade-off.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I am working the sell of a large estate currently. Lots of neat stuff that took a lifetime for the old guy to put together. Some of the heirs wanted a few items but the reality is, after a few sentimental items are given to the next generation and buddies, it is mostly just stuff and dollars.

Selling a few to someone that will use and appreciate them now or using the funds to pay for memories you can have for the rest of your life makes a lot more sense to me then dying with a pile of treasure.

Now is a great time to do it but that may be changing rapidly as the realities of the Biden economy start hitting people harder and harder.

Ward Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MedRiver
Now is a great time to do it but that may be changing rapidly as the realities of the Biden economy start hitting people harder and harder.

Dealing with an estate is a perfect way to learn the stuff we value really has limited value to others. I administered an estate where the contents of a 4200 sq ft house were appraised at less than $5,000 and the deceased had always been able to buy quality. I'm selling some firearms now and the rest will be given away or I'll sell a couple every now and then. I really don't need the money but I also don't need dollars tied up in things I'll likely never use.

Biden has fouled the economy. Politicians have liked using debt to fund spending rather than ask all of us what we're willing to pay for.

W
WAM Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
I went to my first estate sale ever with my brother recently. I was in a posh neighborhood and obviously inhabited by the original owners of 50 years. Sad to see nice things go out the door for pennies on the dollar spent. You can’t take it with you…

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Started a couple of years ago with 70. Down to 40 something now. Goal is to get to 20 or less. Only have one Grandson and a nephew to leave things to and do not want to burden them with too much.

It still hurts when one goes. Last to go was a Sharps saddle rifle and I really miss it.

Some mornings, it just does not feel worth it to chew through the straps!~
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
525 members (007FJ, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 51 invisible), 2,285 guests, and 1,040 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,596
Posts18,398,179
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.