Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Any of you fellas live around Charlotte?

I’ll be out there in a couple week looking for a place to land when we move there in a couple months. What are some of the better neighborhoods? Places to avoid? Better across the border in SC?

Been looking at areas like Davidson, Denver, Cornelius, on down through Ballantyne into Fort Mill and Lake Wylie area.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
GB1

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Anywhere north is a traffic nightmare on I-77. East in Union County will be "OK" once 485 widening is done. But will probably end up a traffic nightmare due to growth. Biggest thing is where will you work. I lived at Steele Creek Rd and Westinghouse Blvd until 1993. It has grown so much now and became part of Charlotte. That is the West side. We moved south near Waxhaw in '93. Got divorced and remarried. Moved down to Indianland which is down 521. Now that area is a traffic nightmare. Moved again further south to the edge of Lancaster. I head to work at 4:30 and head home at 3:30. All to miss the traffic.

Taxes are better in SC. Much better.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I would never move to North Carolina, crime is a big problem and the cops could care less. revolving door jails, many meth heads. Glad I sold my properties there back in 2016.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

V
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
V
I have never lived in Charlotte but must travel there fairly often because my grandchildren play Hockey, Baseball and Lacrosse in the area. I will say right up front that the traffic in Charlotte, as mentioned above, is just terrible. The worse area is I77 so if you can live and work where you can avoid traveling that I would highly recommend it.

All that said, on a recent visit to see my granddaughters college lacrosse team we jumped of of I485 to get something to eat in a little community called Mint Hill. I was very impressed with how nice the area was and how the homes were so well maintained. I seemed to be a small upscale town somewhere other than Charlotte. Another advantage to that area is you will be on the I 485 east side of charlotte which has much less traffic to deal with.

If your work would allow you to live where you only travel the east and south sides of the city that would be my recommendation.

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
I live about 45 minutes north in Rowan County but I grew up here and have a lot of family still here. Anything inside 485 is going to be a pain with traffic during peak hours and far too close to Charlotte for my taste. Not sure where work would be for you but the area around Midland and Locust are nice without the higher property prices of Lake Norman or Ballentyne area. I cover the Charlotte area for work and the best part of my day is leaving it behind. Those areas around Cornelius and Davidson are nice but very expensive and the traffic can be terrible depending on where you need to go.

I can’t speak much for SC. Other than the Charleston/low country area I haven’t seen much that would entice me to live there.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Thanks all.

Work will be close to the airport on the west side of downtown.

For sure not looking to live in town/uptown. I’ll suffer the ‘burbs for a bit. We’re looking to rent for the first year to get a better feel of where we want to be.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What's got you pulling roots MM?
Gonna be in the same line of work?

Last edited by Dillonbuck; 06/19/22.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MadMooner

I’ll be out there in a couple week looking for a place to land when we move there in a couple months. What are some of the better neighborhoods? Places to avoid? Better across the border in SC?

Been looking at areas like Davidson, Denver, Cornelius, on down through Ballantyne into Fort Mill and Lake Wylie area.

I'm 40 miles north of Charlotte, and that's 40 miles to damn close. I'd say stay as far away from Charlotte, Raleigh, or any of the bigger cities. Oh, and this...those elected idiots in Raleigh lay awake at night thinking up new taxes and ways to infringe on our rights.

"...and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one."
Luke 22:36
W
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by rickt300
I would never move to North Carolina, crime is a big problem and the cops could care less. revolving door jails, many meth heads. Glad I sold my properties there back in 2016.

This^^^^^^. Lots of good churches in the communities that you listed, though.

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Working near the airport you may want to look into the Denver/Sherrills Ford area. It’s on the NW side with relatively easy access to 485. Anything leading into Charlotte in the 7-9 am or out of in the 3-6 pm is liable to suck any day of the work week.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by GaryLL1959

I'm 40 miles north of Charlotte, and that's 40 miles to damn close. I'd say stay as far away from Charlotte, Raleigh, or any of the bigger cities. Oh, and this...those elected idiots in Raleigh lay awake at night thinking up new taxes and ways to infringe on our rights.

We sold our family place in NC in 2018. No intention to ever go back. TN and KY look much better for long term conservative minded lifestyle and representation.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I have covtard relatives in Raleigh. I think most of NC is slightly less blue than WA or OR. No thanks.

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
You go there, watch out for the fckin potholes.

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck

Work and yes.
That, and we’ll be much closer to the folks. Hard to believe that pops turns 89 this year!
Throw in the weather out here, the social jungle that W WA has turn into, and it just seems like a good time to have an adventure. Kids are young. Youngest starts K in the fall. They are up for it and excited about a place with warm water where you can swim.

Doubt it’ll be permanent. Well give it a couple years and see.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by WAM
I have covtard relatives in Raleigh. I think most of NC is slightly less blue than WA or OR. No thanks.

Bullschit. Most of NC is red.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

Across the border SC would be a real smart idea.

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Originally Posted by BuckHaggard
Originally Posted by WAM

Bullschit. Most of NC is red.

Somewhat true, most of rural NC is red except some of the coastal plains areas. The problem NC has is yankees moving into suburban areas from their "problems" and then trying to make it just like back home. SC has less of that problem...so far.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck

Work and yes.
That, and we’ll be much closer to the folks. Hard to believe that pops turns 89 this year!
Throw in the weather out here, the social jungle that W WA has turn into, and it just seems like a good time to have an adventure. Kids are young. Youngest starts K in the fall. They are up for it and excited about a place with warm water where you can swim.

Doubt it’ll be permanent. Well give it a couple years and see.

Sounds interesting.
I'm sure it will be nice to see the folks more often.
They will be happy to have you all closer.

We need to take a trip South, try on of your beverages.
Charlotte is next door compared to WA.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Thanks all.

Work will be close to the airport on the west side of downtown.

For sure not looking to live in town/uptown. I’ll suffer the ‘burbs for a bit. We’re looking to rent for the first year to get a better feel of where we want to be.
I've worked at the Air National Guard base at the airport for 20 years. I live just across the line in Cabarrus Co, near the racetrack. I go straight down 85 and its not terrible, but I get to work at 7:30. 30 minutes makes a huge difference traffic wise If I had it to do over I probably would have gone just across the border to SC for cheaper taxes.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Lived in Mt. Holly NC. for 10yr.
10 mi. N. of Charlotte, traffic is nasty everywhere.
If I were to return it would be to the north/northwest side, gets you closer to the mountains.
Don’t overlook due west out of Charlotte.
Good luck w/choice, do as much recon as time will allow.
Buntingmiester

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

520 members (204guy, 1936M71, 17CalFan, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1_deuce, 45 invisible), 1,809 guests, and 1,049 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,180
Posts18,465,632
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.