Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
I've been using a Scott (?Samurai I believe?) since 2014, and it's still going strong, but thinking time for a new one. I'm thinking about the Scott Echo? It's appears best I can tell, to be an updated version of what I already have? Dual jaws that open, curved adjustable trigger, wrist strap buckles.
But the Tru-fire Edge has also caught my eye, very similar in function, but it has the fold back release for when you're doing other things it stays out of the way. The TF is also aprox $20 less.
I know the quality of the Scott, but which of these 2 if anyone has experience with them, TF quality??? Or something similar in function but better?
I'm only interested in these types of releases!

BP-B2

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Never bought into the dual jaw thing.
Fletcher Fletchunter Shorty has been my fave.
Somebody else makes em now.....Buck Rub Gear.
Over a hundred bucks.

I scored my orig NOS for 75 bucks on Ebay last yr.
Two of my hunting buds have gone back to the Shorty after trying other stuff for a few years.

Guess we all like not being cool LOL

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Shot the Tru Fire Edge for a number of years, it’s a good release, held up well, shot well for me. The “fold back” works, but - it’s still 5-6 inches of metal strapped to your wrist flopping around, just not in the same direction as your hand is pointing. Good going up into a stand, not as good getting set up, or coming down, seemed to catch on everything around it. I ended up taking it off more than folding it back.

I went to the Scot Recon a few years ago when the Edge was hard to find locally, and I had finally worn an Edge out enough that the jaws wouldn’t close fully anymore. I’ve been happier with the Scot for fit and comfort more than I was with the Edge. I shot the Scot just bit better, as I have it set a bit shorter in length than I could get the Edge. Mechanically- the Scot feels like a smoother release than the Edge to me - YMMV.

I found over the years that I prefer a “tension closed” jaw on my release, I don’t want to be looking for a hook, or have it pop off of the d loop when I’m focused on the game, and not the bow. If I’ve practiced enough before the season, I don’t have to look at the bow, I know what it’s doing by feel.

Either one is going to last well, it’s going to be what feels better on your wrist.

Last edited by AH64guy; 06/06/22.
W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
I'll probably go with a Scott again. I done have too much faith in them, never have to doubt it!

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Check out B3 if you like older Scott's. Don't quote me but I believe thee original Scott's are now B3.

I've been shooting the B3 Claw for a year now. Love it.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Have a couple Scott 'Lil Bitty Goose' releases that must be 30 years old and still work like new. Thousands of shots through them. Newer and shinier doesn't always mean better.......

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by centershot
Have a couple Scott 'Lil Bitty Goose' releases that must be 30 years old and still work like new. Thousands of shots through them. Newer and shinier doesn't always mean better.......

Yup.

Using a Scott Caliper for about 30 years, too. It's been run over by a loaded log truck.........sent it to Scott and they fixed it. Used it til the leather strap wore out. Sent it to Scott and they fixed that. Still using it with absolutely NO intentions of changing anything.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
I like my B3 Hawk better than the two Scott Itty Bitty Goose releases I used for years. I use the Hawk model with the nylon strap head connection from the wrist strap vs the rigid steel connector. The B3 Hawk uses a single sear design much like a rifle trigger vs the roller sear with a lot more trigger travel like the Scott Itty Bitty Goose. I shoot better with the single sear design. It is adjustable for weight of pull.

Scott is now owned by a conglomerate, and B3 are the original Scott folks. B3 is a an excellent company building excellent releases in my experience.

W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
I got the Echo, and done know I made the right choice! Have only give it a few runs, but its even better than my old Samurai. Improved jaws to lessen torque, and I love the trigger!
I have no doubt my Samurai would've lasted many more years, but, I didn't have a backup in case! The Echo has a buckle strap, my old Samurai had the velcro, and it's the only part that's badly worn. So the Echo is my primary now, Samurai rides backup! Both IMO, as quality a release as is made!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Kurt52
Scott is now owned by a conglomerate..........

I suppose, there goes the outstanding customer service............

IC B3

W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Yoder, your testimony to Scott releases confirms what I learned when I got my Samurai in 2014. Most everybody here used what they got at Walmart, and I was gonna do same. But a good friend runs a bow shop told me plain, get a Scott, they're the best! Only thing wrong with my old one is the velcro looking bad. But I've been shooting this Echo daily and love it after lightening the trigger where I want it, and sure like the buckle better for long wear. I'm shooting well with it, and happy totally with it!
I don't know anything about customer service, just hope they stand fast in their old commitment!

Last edited by Windknot; 06/25/22.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My Scott Caliper is from somewhere in the last century..........probably mid 1990's. When it got ran over by the loaded log truck and the trigger broke off, I called Scott. Talke to an older fellow who told me send it to him. I asked him what the cost of repair would be. He said............and I quote.......... "You can send $15 if you want to."

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I used a Scott Ghost release for a while and took it back to the shop and had them sell it on consignment. I liked the idea of the release but couldn't adjust it short enough for me, I had to reach too far for the trigger. Also, it wouldn't adjust light enough. I found a Chinese clone that was smaller and would adjust to the weight I liked. I use a hook type release for hunting as I'm hunting coyotes and need to operate my caller with my hand as well as draw the bow. I tried a thumb release and let it hang on the loop but that was a pain in the butt.

Last edited by erich; 06/27/22.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
700 members (222Sako, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 222ND, 75 invisible), 2,788 guests, and 1,315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,630
Posts18,398,794
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.