Hop To
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Sheister
For the OP's purposes either one would work just fine- just as a 30-06 or about a dozen other cartridges would...

Of course. I just want another rifle!

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
"Ron" the cartridge Designer,is fhuqking AWESOME! Hint. Fhuqking LAUGHING!

If only in "fairness",I've suffered a 30-378,300 Ultra's,300 Super's,300Wby's,300H&H's,300 Winny's and 300 Whizzum's as .308" bores go,in .532" caseheads or greater. Them days are gone. That as much to do with the LRF,as good bullets. Hint.

Interestingly,I've never crimped a single one and/or set a bullet back. Have deformed a jazillion or so exposed lead tips,but that's an issue separate. The "too short" neck on a 300 Winny,is yet another HILARIOUS Wives Tale concocted by The Google Gals. Though I've never had a 300 Winny shorter than 22" or longer than 26". Mechanically,in a .532" 700 LA,the 300 Winny is THE pick of the litter,yet pales to the 7mm RemMag. Hint.

Simply choose a projectile wisely,give Mechanics a thunk(RPM/throat geometry/COAL) and simply build for balance/handling. I'll HAPPILY opt less case capacity,for more bullet,if only because I shoot it all. Hint...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
300 win easily on account of economy. I've used 300win, 300wby, 300RUM, 30-378WBY and have enough time with them. Still have an 300win mag but truthfully I've no use for them. Having more common standard cartridges like 270win, 308win, and 30-06 is preferable. If I feel the need for mo' better I go to my 338win or 375 Ruger. There's nothing really wrong with the 300 class but if I'm pushing a larger case I want more bullet weight.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Gooch_McGrundle
I think I might try the WBY. Do the WBY actions give you more room? Might be cheaper to buy than build.
Make sure you know what twist you're getting in a 300 WBY. Some use 1-12 twist.
Just 2 cents.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Hammerdown
Originally Posted by Gooch_McGrundle
I think I might try the WBY. Do the WBY actions give you more room? Might be cheaper to buy than build.
Make sure you know what twist you're getting in a 300 WBY. Some use 1-12 twist.
Just 2 cents.

Good to know. Time to go shopping.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
This schit is funnier than fhuqk! Hint.

What Imaginary Pretend bullet are you going to use in a 10" RPM 300 Wby,that you "can't" in a 12" RPM version of same? What is the COAL of said delusion and upon which receiver? HINT.

It's plum handy to keep ogives above case mouths ladies. Your sheer and utter fhuqking STUPIDITY,is simply fhuqking magnificent in it's grandeur. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Fhuqking LAUGHING!........................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by CopperSolid
Ron designed his cartridges in order to "beat" other established cartridges. Not much thought was put into them, other than "bigger is better".

My worthless 2 cents.

who tf is Ron ?

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Swamplord
Originally Posted by CopperSolid
Ron designed his cartridges in order to "beat" other established cartridges. Not much thought was put into them, other than "bigger is better".

My worthless 2 cents.

who tf is Ron ?

It was a typo, of course. Meant Roy, as in Roy Weatherby.

Igitur quī dēsīderat pācem, præparet bellum
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Big Stick
"Ron" the cartridge Designer,is fhuqking AWESOME! Hint. Fhuqking LAUGHING!

If only in "fairness",I've suffered a 30-378,300 Ultra's,300 Super's,300Wby's,300H&H's,300 Winny's and 300 Whizzum's as .308" bores go,in .532" caseheads or greater. Them days are gone. That as much to do with the LRF,as good bullets. Hint.

Interestingly,I've never crimped a single one and/or set a bullet back. Have deformed a jazillion or so exposed lead tips,but that's an issue separate. The "too short" neck on a 300 Winny,is yet another HILARIOUS Wives Tale concocted by The Google Gals. Though I've never had a 300 Winny shorter than 22" or longer than 26". Mechanically,in a .532" 700 LA,the 300 Winny is THE pick of the litter,yet pales to the 7mm RemMag. Hint.

Simply choose a projectile wisely,give Mechanics a thunk(RPM/throat geometry/COAL) and simply build for balance/handling. I'll HAPPILY opt less case capacity,for more bullet,if only because I shoot it all. Hint...............

Yeah I knew he meant Roy as I'm sure you & most did, I've got several 300 Wins and they killed everything I meant to kill in 9 different Units in AK, have a Rem Classic in 300 WBY and 12 other 30 cals from 30-30 Win to 7.82 Warbird & beyond in wildcats, one thing I'd never do is choose any 7mm over a 30 cal, Have the basic piddly 7mm-08 Yawningtown and 7mm Rem Almost Magnum and a couple of hot wildcats, but if going mm's I prefer the one a full mm wider in the hips, she's so much sexier with the longer legs

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
'409,

Bullet "weight" is largely moot,though COAL,integrity and BC ain't. Hint.

The 300 Wby will simply run you out of mag confines,precluding the best of that which is available projectile wise,long before a 300 Winny on a 700 receiver. Pardon my being fluent in said matters,as you gals guess aloud. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!................

I get it.

In matters where every last decimal place in the equation count.......... .300 Win Mag for the win. In matters of 99% of Joe 6-pack's 0-500 yard hunting rifle, the .300 Wby just thumps a little harder. Is it worth the extra 10-15 grains of powder ?? Is it worth the extra recoil ?? Meh........... To me, it probably is.

That being said.............. I load for 7 .300 Win's and only 1 .300 Wby. And if I were going to grab a rifle to go kill something smaller than a coastal brown, right this instant............. I'd grab a 7-STW over either .300

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Yoder409
In matters of 99% of Joe 6-pack's 0-500 yard hunting rifle, the .300 Wby just thumps a little harder. Is it worth the extra 10-15 grains of powder ?? Is it worth the extra recoil ?? Meh........... To me, it probably is.

See, I don't get that - if we're going to say that for 99% of 0-500 yards, a slightly harder thump. What would walk away from a 300 Win but die from the "extra thump" of the Wby? Bout nothing. So why bother?

Me

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm always torn on which is fhuqking funnier,the Excuses or the STUPIDITY?!? Hint. Fhuqking LAUGHING!

Now if only in "fairness",I've only had a brace of STW's(26" and 27" on 700's). Beings full length H&H based,they too suffer from the same plight as a 300 Wby,with the collective COAL bane and recoil increase for naught. Why? Bullets matter wayyyyyyyyyy fhuqking more than headstamps,to the perpetual chagrin of Melting Snowflakes everywhere. Read that again. Now one more time. Hint.

Pass the 7mm Rem and .838 BC magfed Smooches. Hint.

Bless your heart.

Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.............

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm always torn on which is fhuqking funnier,the Excuses or the STUPIDITY?!? Hint. Fhuqking LAUGHING!

Now if only in "fairness",I've only had a brace of STW's(26" and 27" on 700's). Beings full length H&H based,they too suffer from the same plight as a 300 Wby,with the collective COAL bane and recoil increase for naught. Why? Bullets matter wayyyyyyyyyy fhuqking more than headstamps,to the perpetual chagrin of Melting Snowflakes everywhere. Read that again. Now one more time. Hint.

Pass the 7mm Rem and .838 BC magfed Smooches. Hint.

Bless your heart.

Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.............
I've read it twice. Do I really need to read it a third time?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
DooshMike,

It's hardly a "secret" that you feverishly read my EVERY word and gawk EVERY Splendid Pixel,as you "live" vicariously...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Your only "move",is to skirt ALL things The Rifle. Hint.

Bless your heart.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.................

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
😁

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
meh, don't assume everyone has your inability to handle recoil and short barrel handicap, lol

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have owned and killed game with both,--- as well as two 308 Normas, two 300H&Hs, and a 30-378 Weatherby.

Given a good bullet that holds together, there was no difference in the effects on game from any of them.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I like the Weatherby cartridge, in a 700, simply due to the longer neck which allows more latitude in seating without seating below the neck/shoulder juncture.
There are a couple of things to keep in mind. First, if chambering for either cartridge, the length of the throat can be whatever you want it to be; assuming you have the capability. With this being the case, magazine length might be more important than anything else. Modern, high BC bullets are long but their bearing surface is not always all that long. So it is that the shorter 300 Win Mag might work better simply because the neck is further from the front of the magazine.
Another way to look at it is this: the location of the bullet in the magazine is a given; lets say 1/16" from the front of the box. This is as long as you can seat it. This means, if you want to be able to touch the lands, the distance from the bolt face to the lands is predetermined. The point is; you can cut either chamber to provide this length. The 300 Win Mag will be throated long and the 300 Weatherby will be throated short.
Now, if you do this, the Weatherby, because of its longer neck, will allow you to seat shorter bullets out further to touch, or, at least approach, the lands. This is important only if you want to shoot a shorter bullet. Not everyone is concerned only about BC.
As far as achievable velocity is concerned, the Weatherby will have a slight edge simply because it is a little bigger. But it won't amount to a lot.
I have to confess that I dislike the 300 Win Mag because I think the design of the cartridge is just dumb and I don't like the short neck. Because he also has a short neck. 'Stick isn't bothered by this and, in fact, embraces it as a positive attribute (this takes some mental gymnastics). GD

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Ladies,

Here's to the MAGNIFICENT Hilarity of you Drooling Fhuqktards feigning a FIRST fhuqking clue...you "lucky" kchunts. Hint. Congratulations?!?

I'm fhuqking CRYIN',I'm laughing sooooooooooo hard! Hint.

Bless your poor poor(literally) hearts,for trying.

Fhuqking LAUGING!................

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I never had a 300 Wby, but set up a 300 RUM a couple times, both in Model 700s. I first one was in '99 and tried a boutique 150 BT Moly coated "bomb" that was recommended for a Desert Mule Deer hunt in West Texas. It made a big mess of a 3x3 last hour of the hunt at 60yds, ha. Gave that rifle and the rest of the ammo to my uncle. Second one was in 2006, a gift for my son In Law Marine. I used Retumbo and 200 NAB. He put a Huskemaw on it. I have killed a wad of game with the 300 WM and did not like it in Mod 70s, prefer the Mod 700 or 700 clone. I've been all over the map with calibers, but I'm very partial to the 300Win, nostalgic I guess, same way with the 338WM ( I've had bigger and smaller 338s, but keep coming back to this one) do I need it, Nah! Just like it...I think its easier to find 300 Wby brass/ammo than 300 RUM now. But again, I'm not a LR hunter, never shot game over about 390 (300WM) and 375 (257wby) lots of 350ish with 300 and a few others. My "average range" on 4 cow elk had been 175 yds or so, Mule deer average 70yds. Antelope is the furthest, about 200yds. But I do know guys that shoot/kill elk and mule deer 700yds pretty regularly. I was once told by an old LR hunter that the 300WM was a 500yd elk rifle and the 300 RUM/300Wby were 700yd elk rifles. I don't really know, but he seemed convinced! ")

Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

440 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 160user, 10ring1, 58 invisible), 1,885 guests, and 1,216 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,216
Posts18,447,389
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.