Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Depends on the weather, one thing I've noticed over the yrs is that there will usually be an explosion of small butterflies, which usually happens before we get a tropical storm or hurricane.

I hope you see lots of them really soon.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by battue
Song Birds here are the issue....They have been on a downtrend for years. Took a 3 mile hike last week. Half of it on a woods trail. Saw one Blackbird. Come out to the open fields and saw 3 Crows and some Robbins. Yard has some Crows, an occasional Jay and some Robbins. Look out a window and you are more likely to see a Groundhog than a Bird. Barn down the road used to have swallows by the hundred swarming...Now nothing.

Do you think that's because we're not managing forests correctly? Not allowing enough disruption to create the undergrowth needed for renewal/small critters etc. I'm thinking along the lines of the videos Ruffed Grouse Society puts out. Was that woods trail super mature woods?

Me

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We just had the coldest spring on record at the Airport in Seattle.
It never got up to room temperature.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I miss the many Monarch butterflies I would see as a kid during their migration. I know a lot of it is due to herbicides and loss of milkweed, but I hope they are making a bit of a comeback. Starting to see more of them each year.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by atvalaska
They are at my house...I'll post a pic of my truck grill when I get home...

Yep, same up here !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
This was washed clean, on Sunday !

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by denton
Also remember that there was a time that windshields were flat glass, with no smooth airflow.
.this. aerodynamics makes a lot of difference

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mathsr
If you want to see bugs, get a Toyota FJ. I've never seen anything collect bugs the way that FJ windshield does.

Ain't that the truth. No washing fluid squirters and upside-down wipers, too.

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by battue
Song Birds here are the issue....They have been on a downtrend for years. Took a 3 mile hike last week. Half of it on a woods trail. Saw one Blackbird. Come out to the open fields and saw 3 Crows and some Robbins. Yard has some Crows, an occasional Jay and some Robbins. Look out a window and you are more likely to see a Groundhog than a Bird. Barn down the road used to have swallows by the hundred swarming...Now nothing.

Have noticed it hunting sometimes.
The woods are dead.
Some crows, a hawk on occasion. Not much else moving.
Might see a dozen small birds in a day.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Indiscriminate and irresponsible use of pesticides and herbicides. Killing native weeds in favor of imported grasses and lush, weedless lawns and yet we wonder why we don’t have the pollinators of years past? The only herbicide I’ll use extremely sparingly for weed control in the gravel drive is glyphosate and that is for spot treatment not wholesale broadcast. Insecticides are something I avoid, especially chemical pesticides. I’ve used BT for specific applications during tent caterpillar infestation years but that’s only been needed once in the 10 years we’ve been here. I embrace the dandelions and other native “weeds”, most of which are edible in some form or fashion. The blackberries and salmon berries have their place in our landscape as well. I decided long ago that I wasn’t going to “fight” native weeds and use poisons to go to war with nature.

If you kill the primary food source of beneficial insects and spray pesticides in your attempt to kill the “bad bugs” don’t be surprised when you don’t have anymore beneficial insects either.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
I embrace the dandelions and other native “weeds”,
You sure about that comment? Many plants have been here so long and are so ubiquitous that we often mistake them for being native.

PS- The definition of a weed is just a plant (species) growing where we don't what it to grow...

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Indiscriminate and irresponsible use of pesticides and herbicides. Killing native weeds in favor of imported grasses and lush, weedless lawns and yet we wonder why we don’t have the pollinators of years past? The only herbicide I’ll use extremely sparingly for weed control in the gravel drive is glyphosate and that is for spot treatment not wholesale broadcast. Insecticides are something I avoid, especially chemical pesticides. I’ve used BT for specific applications during tent caterpillar infestation years but that’s only been needed once in the 10 years we’ve been here. I embrace the dandelions and other native “weeds”, most of which are edible in some form or fashion. The blackberries and salmon berries have their place in our landscape as well. I decided long ago that I wasn’t going to “fight” native weeds and use poisons to go to war with nature.

If you kill the primary food source of beneficial insects and spray pesticides in your attempt to kill the “bad bugs” don’t be surprised when you don’t have anymore beneficial insects either.

Herbicides, Insecticides, Fungicides, Rodenticides, Nematicides, Avicides, etc are all PESTICIDES!

V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
Colodog: It is the start of "bug season" here in much of Montana.
My Varminting friend just drove here from the west coast and his car was covered in them - he followed the Clark Fork River for about 125 miles to get here.
Washin'em off before they get baked on helps.
I live on a small elevated plateau that gets a fair amount of wind and to date (25 years now) I have NOT been bit by a mosquito in my home or in my yard, where I spend a LOT of time.
Flies do NOT like windy places either - I have discovered.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
We have bugs, field scouting for weeds this morning and discover this.

That is our spring wheat field on the left, neighbor's mustard on the right.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

They must really like the mustard, I'd say half of the field is gone.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hanco
Depends on the amount and when we get rain.

BINGO!

That's why we have almost no bugs anymore here. We are in the worst drought in 1,200 years and have little to no bug hatch. The sagehen, chuckar, and quail numbers are dismal, partly because the grasshoppers are what keeps them alive through the summers.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Our local claim to fame with the EPA is that we have sixty different species of mosquitoes.

Lately, the deer flies have been more if a problem.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
No skeeters on my front porch, very few bugs of any description, hottest/driest spring I can recall.

Four out of five young lost in my martins, local mockingbirds have raised only one young all year. Ain’t seen any fledged Western kingbirds or scissortails.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
We live in a heavy farming area. Lightning bugs are a thing of the past here. Crop dusters and spray rigs take care of them just like the other insects.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Well, I got about 7000 in my bed yard.
Plenty grasshoppers, crickets, etc, etc...to mess up a windshield!

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
This year on the west side of MT, the bugs have either drownded or froze. First mosquitoes DID attack me after sunset last night. But they are definitely the first of the year.
Last year the hoppers wasted much of eastern Montana, it was just insane how thick they were. My truck stunk SO bad and was so filthy I had to get some icky old towels and "sop" the front end of the truck to re-hydrate the bug cooze. Yech.
So no, I haven't really noticed much of a decline.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

608 members (10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 12344mag, 1Akshooter, 1badf350, 71 invisible), 2,299 guests, and 1,316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,308
Posts18,449,130
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.