Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
barm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Does the Winchester Model 70 push feed action suffer from the same ailment which allow the gases from a ruptured case to get to the shooter's face?

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Pushfeed Winchester 70s don't have a coned breech, so by design they should handle escaping gas better.

barm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Pushfeed Winchester 70s don't have a coned breech, so by design they should handle escaping gas better.
Thanks. I just bought one for a song with a synthetic stock. With the integral recoil lug and 3 position safety which looks the firing pin, I am impressed with it. It is a really nice design and quite smooth.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by barm
Thanks. I just bought one for a song with a synthetic stock. With the integral recoil lug and 3 position safety which looks the firing pin, I am impressed with it. It is a really nice design and quite smooth.

They are supposed to be the top of the mark for push-feed actions - including forged receivers.

Had a early walnut sporter in .30-06.

A really nice rifle.

GR

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
It indeed had forged action, which reduced machine-time compared to the pre-'64s--which were machined from bar-stock, which used up a LOT of machine-time.

The gas-handling was far superior to the pre-'64, which basically had zero....

Whether the extractor is superior is a matter of opinion, the reason Winchester eventually came up with the Model 70 "Classic" action around 1990, which despite the supposed "gas-block" behind the extractor was pretty close to the original in allowing gas from a blown case to blow back into the shooter's face. I know this from personal experience....

The post-64's have generally been very accurate, especially if the barrel's free-floated per the original post-'64 design. But so were many pre-'64's, though often the bedding had to be tweaked.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks for this confirmation. Bought a post 64 in 30-06 and it is a very good shooter. Price for the features on the used market was very good. But have wondered about wether the gas issue that the pre 64 design left exposed followed in the push feed redesign.
Still a fan of the original New Haven builds but don’t hot rod reloads or brass life in the 308FWT example I get to shoot.
Still sentimental for rifles built in the old building in NH, push or claw.

I used to only shoot shotguns and rimfires, then I made the mistake of getting a subscription to handloader.......
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I view them as Winchester's evolution into the recessed bolt face feature while retaining the older m70 trigger system and 3 position safety. I have kept 2 of them and still enjoy, but they feel heavier than Rem 700's or Tikka's.

I used to see them every time I went to a used gun shop, but not so much anymore it seems people are keeping them.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by barm

They are pretty nice barm. Especially the XTR models.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
My late friend had a .22/250. Nice walnut and bluing, excellent fit and finish, no spacers. I doubt he ever fired a group with it, but did shoot some deer with Hornady 55gr SPs my brother loaded for him, along with chucks in his hayfields and a feral cat.

He also shot the eye out of his own cat, mistaking it for a fox. He said he knew what he’d done when the cat flew into the air at the shot. It disappeared for a couple of weeks, then came home, most of him anyway…..

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I accumulated a few push feeds. One 3006; I shot the primer blew out, gas escaped ( first time for me).
It was no big deal.

Hardly noticed it.

Last edited by Angus1895; 06/23/22.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

IC B3

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
What am I doing wrong? Reloading and shooting everything, including some military boat anchors, since early 60's, every cartridge under the sun, thousands of rounds downrange in competition...still not a single gas escape event, I even fired a 6.5 Swede in a 7x57 once the only clue was, I missed the target.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I've owned a few post 64 M70s over the years. Really can't say anything bad about them. Never had one fail to fire or feed; accuracy was always quite good with a few close to being spectacular. A .308 that I won in a raffle now sits in a Ramline stock as the factory stock on that Youth Ranger was too short for me and my stepson was even bugger than me so the restock was necessary. I finally found a short action Featherweight stock so will probably bed it in that one sometime soon.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I bought an All SS M70 Push feed rifle 2 years ago in 300 win mag. I can kick myself for ever selling it.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by flintlocke
What am I doing wrong? Reloading and shooting everything, including some military boat anchors, since early 60's, every cartridge under the sun, thousands of rounds downrange in competition...still not a single gas escape event, I even fired a 6.5 Swede in a 7x57 once the only clue was, I missed the target.

I've been reloading since 1967 and have had 1 pierced primer and 0 case separations.

Rare events? Sure. Well, maybe not so rare if the rifle in question is a Ruger 10/22 that has been converted to 17HMR or 17HM2.

Can escaping gas events happen? Sure.

Bearrr264 had a case separation in a Savage 99 that had been rechambered from 300 SAV to 308 WIN. Whoever did the rechamber work didn't over-stamp the roll stamp on the barrel and may have cut the chamber wrong such that the case separated just forward to the case web. The escaping gas blew out the stock's "cheeks", peppering his right hand and the right side of his face with wood splinters. A high pucker factor event that illustrated the wisdom of wearing shooting glasses every time you squeeze the trigger.

J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
That's scary!

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have a .30/06 FWT from 1981, it is a wonderful rifles. I just put it into a custom stock that I shaped and checkered myself. It is one of my favourite rifles, and is very accurate with many different loads.

(I have had only two case head seperations in my life, both from bad reloading practices of a friend of mine on the same afternoon. Felt the gas go by but that was all. This was in a BSA Majestic not a WIn70 though....)

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

"A person that carries a cat home by the tail will receive information that will always be useful to him." Mark Twain
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
VERY nice stock, both the wood and the workmanship, Carlsen!
What wood is that, BTW?

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Thanks! ...I picked the stock wood from an old gunsmith, and the best I can say is that it is a dense walnut, knowing the guy I think its black walnut and probably originated from the USA. As usual the colours of woods dont photograph as well as they look in real life.
I enjoy checkering, and this design I stole from the kind of thing Jack OÇonnor used to have done to his in the old days. It's petty theft I know it, but hes not doing anything with it.

I am a big fan of the Winchester push feeds from the 1980's, I have had three over the years, they were all fault free, fed and extracted like a dream and shot into an inch with no experimentation. I let a .243 get away from me and have cursed my stupid past self ever since.

To me, the Winchester model 70 is the handsomest of rifles.

Last edited by CarlsenHighway; 06/26/22.

"A person that carries a cat home by the tail will receive information that will always be useful to him." Mark Twain
J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I really like your stock Carlsen.

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
barm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by CarlsenHighway
I have a .30/06 FWT from 1981, it is a wonderful rifles. I just put it into a custom stock that I shaped and checkered myself. It is one of my favourite rifles, and is very accurate with many different loads.

(I have had only two case head seperations in my life, both from bad reloading practices of a friend of mine on the same afternoon. Felt the gas go by but that was all. This was in a BSA Majestic not a WIn70 though....)

That is a beautiful stock!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

418 members (10Glocks, 160user, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 163bc, 33 invisible), 2,557 guests, and 1,026 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,285
Posts18,467,824
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.