Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
All spring and summer I observed dragonfly interest in my tomato patch. I knew they were insect predators, so was happy to see that they liked to land on the tomato stakes and sit and watch, but I wondered how helpful they could be. My thought was that they mainly ate mosquitos and such, so likely won't make a dent in the larger insects that destroy tomatoes. Today I found out I was wrong.

First I found a large brown grasshopper that was on a tomato leaf, but was dead, and looked very freshly killed. Then I found on the other end of the patch another grasshopper that was alive, but had a dragonfly on it using its legs to pin it against a tomato stake, and was in the process of eating it alive.

Well, much gratitude to the dragonflies, because now I know they kill and eat bugs, even the big ones, that would enjoy eating tomatoes.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
good to know.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Cool photos.

I do believe that second photo is a robber fly.

Dragonflies cannot fold their wings along their back.

Also, dragonflies methodically chew their prey, robber flies have sharp sucking mouthparts that they stick into their prey.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Cool photos.

I do believe that second photo is a robber fly.

Dragonflies cannot fold their wings along their back.

Also, dragonflies methodically chew their prey, robber flies have sharp sucking mouthparts that they stick into their prey.
Okay. Thanks. I thought it was odd to see the wings folded. Never knew there was such a thing as a robber fly till you mentioned it. Well, thanks to the robber flies, then. They share anatomical similarities with dragonflies.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Watching insects gives us insight into foreign and alien behavior. Last September my wife and I were outside working around the yard and garden while the flying ants were out thick. Laughing at the chickens jumping and running down one of their favorite snacks is always good for a water break and a laugh. I noticed a flying ant ran into a garden spiders web and got a little stuck when suddenly a small garden spider pounced from hiding and threw 2 loops of silk around the ant. That flying ant was at least 4-5 times the size and weight of the tiny predator but it didn’t deter the spider. Once the 2 loops of silk had the ants destiny sealed the spider went to work methodically. It further secured the spider by wrapping the wings and controlling its ability to move through additional wraps of silk. Finally the spider was happy with his restraints and bit the ant. It appeared to me that the spider paralyzed the ant first and then started sucking the life out of it. I went back a couple hours later and the ant was a hollow exoskeleton that was wrapped like a mummy. The whole ordeal was maybe 5 minutes from start to finish but it was really interesting to observe. The size difference was what amazed me. It was akin to a man throwing a couple lashes around a bull elephant or boar brown bear and controlling it until we climbed on and started eating it alive. Nature is the most interesting show anywhere.

TRH…. Thanks for relaying your experience. I didn’t know that a dragonfly would eat a grasshopper but nothing in nature really surprises me anymore. Your tomatoes get full service attention from you so it’s no wonder why they produce their fruit in copious amounts for their caregiver. 👍

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
TRH…. Thanks for relaying your experience. I didn’t know that a dragonfly would eat a grasshopper but nothing in nature really surprises me anymore. Your tomatoes get full service attention from you so it’s no wonder why they produce their fruit in copious amounts for their caregiver. 👍
Thanks. Yeah, I carefully inspect them every day, but often miss some real nasty pests. For example these three ruined tomatoes, with the culprits still halfway inside two of them. Two of them have fat fruit worms halfway into them.

Pisses me off.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My problem in the garden in 2022 is deer and rabbits.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
TRH,

I need a dragon fly deflector, for my truck !

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
The insect world is full of surprises!

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Liquid Sevin will take care of those worms. Otherwise they will get all of your tomatoes.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I put out leftovers for my poach toads, have several they learned to sit there and wait for flys.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Dragon flies are cool, they also make damn good fish bait.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Always glad to see the Dragonflies patrolling my Pepper patch...

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Thanks. Yeah, I carefully inspect them every day, but often miss some real nasty pests. For example these three ruined tomatoes, with the culprits still halfway inside two of them. Two of them have fat fruit worms halfway into them.

Pisses me off.

[Linked Image]

What do you do to control those worms?

I wonder if BT (thuricide) would work. I use it on my broccoli and cabbage plants....

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
BT will work … eventually. The problem is that they keep eating till they die.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
TRH, Just wait until the voles and raccons start taking bites from ripened fruits.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
We have to get our sweet corn planted early. If we have not harvested it before the little raccoons begin foraging, momma raccon will lead the entire litter into the garden and strip the ears from the stalks.

And then we had the golden retriever who had a real fondness for cantaloupes.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Dragon flies are cool, they also make damn good fish bait.

How do you catch them.

Fish them like a dry fly?

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

645 members (12344mag, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 160user, 63 invisible), 2,350 guests, and 1,229 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,621
Posts18,455,093
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.