Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
just when I thought I was finished buying rifles a drilling popped up that I had to have!
16X16 over 9.3x72R, hammer gun made by Bohler Stahl with a box of Sellior &Bellot ammo .
Then a friend lucked into another 2 1/2booxes of RWS for me at a show this weekend!
I have shot pheasants and Sharptails and Ruffed grouse with the shotgun barrels but haven't had a chance to kill a deer with the 9.3 barrel yet. I have all of November to get that f]done though, and at 100 yards it is quite capable of that from what II have seen from my offhand targets.
Cat
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by catnthehat; 10/31/21.

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!
BP-B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Nice!

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Looks like a nice old gun, and it is good to see such good use being made of it.

FWIW "Böhler Stahl" on the barrels just means that they are made from steel by Böhler, a major steelmaker. It is not a reference to who made the gun itself. Böhler is still in business too.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by dan_oz
Looks like a nice old gun, and it is good to see such good use being made of it.

FWIW "Böhler Stahl" on the barrels just means that they are made from steel by Böhler, a major steelmaker. It is not a reference to who made the gun itself. Böhler is still in business too.

Ah, like " Krupp" or " Solligen " stamps!
Jeepers tyete are no other markings except for proofs on who would have built it!
Guild gun of some sort?
Cat

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Yes, that would be my guess. I wouldn't worry about it, just enjoy it for what it is.

What sort of chokes does it have? Tight and tighter, in typical German fashion?

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by dan_oz
Yes, that would be my guess. I wouldn't worry about it, just enjoy it for what it is.

What sort of chokes does it have? Tight and tighter, in typical German fashion?

A quick check with my plug gauge said Mod/full, but I have been meaning to mic them to find out. Not that it matters, both barrels have killed pheasants, sharptails and ruffed grouse on the fly, so I am happy!
Going to try and kill a white tail with it this week.
Cat

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
What's that roll crimp tool?

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Gartenmeister
What's that roll crimp tool?

No idea, no markings , but it is old fir sure . Does a great job!
Cat

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Well, the deer thing didn't happen last fall, every one I saw had antlers annd i had already cut my antlered tag, all I coould shoot were does, go figure! LOL
I have however started to get some pretty good accuracy out of thee 9.3X72R barrel using a 293 graain powder coated bullet.
At a average of 1,740FPS pout of my labbradar I am quite happy with it.
At 50 yards it is doing very well, but I have to hold a very hhiigh front sight picture or it shoots low.
The lower shots were the result of sitting the front bead into the rear.
The ones right around the bull were offhand however, so it's all good!

This target was shot yestreday, offhand shots were just right of thhe bull. the vertical string was off my ebows
Look out white tails!
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 06/22/22.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Try slowing it down a little. It should print higher, and it sure should print higher with those Big 293gr bullets. The factory standard bullet is a 193gr .364" flat nose.

It sure is a nice old hammer drilling. I enjoyed seeing it.

cool cool

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by luv2safari
Try slowing it down a little. It should print higher, and it sure should print higher with those Big 293gr bullets. The factory standard bullet is a 193gr .364" flat nose.

It sure is a nice old hammer drilling. I enjoyed seeing it.

cool cool
Problem is it was printing low even with the factory 193's, I think it is my eyes that are doing that.
I will try a bit lighter load again however. >:)
Cat

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The 193 should shoot a lot lower than the 293 grain ones.

I hear you about eyes!

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
The 9.3x72R barrel on my drilling has a .358 bore. It shoots Speer 180 flat points well. IMR3031 @ 2000fps. Killed a nice 8 point with it the only time I ever hunted it. The doe the buck was following stood under the tree I was in for 15 minutes, finally had to run her off to get down out of tree. Wish now I had shot her with a load of buckshot, but didn't want to deal with two deer late in the afternoon.

Michael

Last edited by mag410; 06/22/22.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Hmm, John Barsness said his was like that as well that even came with some 9.3x72R ammo!.
He used 358 bullets in it
Cat

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I have wondered if the unusual bullet profile of Norma 9.3x72R ammunition was designed to deal with widely varying bore diameters of 9.3x72R barrels. The cylindrical forward can get started into a tight bore before the larger diameter of the rear section has to swage itself down?

Michael

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mag410
I have wondered if the unusual bullet profile of Norma 9.3x72R ammunition was designed to deal with widely varying bore diameters of 9.3x72R barrels. The cylindrical forward can get started into a tight bore before the larger diameter of the rear section has to swage itself down?

Michael
It certainly is possible, the bullet is very stubby fir sure, and the driving band seems to be a throwback from cast bullets . I was surprised at how long the throat is on this rifle as well, which makes me wonder if it is the reason my long ,heavy bullets work as well as they do, both cast and jacketed .
Cat

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This is the bullet from Buffalo Arms. I believe the narrow front section is so it can be seated at the cannelure and still chamber in barrels with narrow bores or tall rifling. Mine has a groove diameter of .364 and bore diameter of .346. Very tall lands, most likely intended for lead bullets.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
EDIT: My groove diameter is .358". I can't find the lead slug at the moment to give the bore diameter.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Going to run some paper patched 231 grain .358's today with 33 grains of IMR 4064 , they end up patched at .367 so they should work fine :>)
Cat

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mag410
EDIT: My groove diameter is .358". I can't find the lead slug at the moment to give the bore diameter.

That's the correct bore for the 9.3X72R. The grooves are deep.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
701 members (11point, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 160user, 117LBS, 86 invisible), 2,725 guests, and 1,298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,695
Posts18,399,872
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.