Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Could someone please tell me when Winchester stopped making Supergrade .375 H & H's? I have a New Haven Supergrade .338 WM I bought new in the 1990's and would like to get similar in .375. The weight is around 8 lb 2 oz (without scope or mounts) and I want a .375 the same weight with a shorter barrel to make up for its heavier larger diameter barrel. The Safari Grade is way too heavy at around 9 lb 2oz. Also, the pre-64 .375 Supergrades that I have seen don't appear to have cross-bolts, so did these often split their stocks from .375 recoil? Did they ever put cross-bolts in the Supergrade .375's (one or two)? Thank you.

Last edited by Riflehunter; 06/22/22.
BP-B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
They are still making them. You are all over the map with your question.. Yes, they finally started putting cross bolts in the 375 stocks. That started in '56. They went to 2 cross bolts in '57 and then later changed it up in '59. I actually saw a used supergrade 375H&H at Cabela's the other day.. I don't even know if it was a classic or BACO. I'm not in the market for one, so just skimmed right on by it.. You are asking for an awful lot if you expect any of the 375's to weigh less than 9 pounds.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
They are still making them. You are all over the map with your question.. Yes, they finally started putting cross bolts in the 375 stocks. That started in '56. They went to 2 cross bolts in '57 and then later changed it up in '59. I actually saw a used supergrade 375H&H at Cabela's the other day.. I don't even know if it was a classic or BACO. I'm not in the market for one, so just skimmed right on by it.. You are asking for an awful lot if you expect any of the 375's to weigh less than 9 pounds.
On Winchester's website I couldn't see .375 H & H listed for any of the Supergrades. They have it listed in the wood-stocked Alaskan with a 25" barrel at 8lb 8 oz. They also have it in the Safari at 9.0 lbs with 24" barrel. With the Supergrade .338, they list it at 8lb 8oz, yet mine weighs around 8 lbs 2-3 oz.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Bet it was BACO bsa. There was a limited run that they did for Cabela’s. I’m not aware of a non CS classic supergrade chambered in 375; safari express and super express seem to have been the standard new haven classic offerings.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Yeah, you are probably right. It had the barrel mounted sling swivel band. I don't believe the price was bad. Somewhere around $1,000.00. Now I wish I would have looked at it better. I was more interested in the 280 classic in the custom stock..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
So perhaps my best option would be to look around for another Supergrade in .338 Win Mag and rebarrel with a light profile 23" .375 barrel so as to weigh roughly the same as my .338 - 8 lbs 2-3 oz unscoped. The only thing is whether I need the second recoil lug and second cross-bolt to run 350's at 2300 fps without splitting the stock?

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K

Pretty sure that Super Grade had a replacement pad,if it was the one on the outside of the gun room!

If your a leftist, whatever Donald Trump says or does, that pisses you off rest assured, I am a Happy Camper!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by knivesforme

Pretty sure that Super Grade had a replacement pad,if it was the one on the outside of the gun room!

Its in the gun library. Like I said, I didn't look at it at all. Just in passing. I saw the tag said 375 H&H though. Maybe you can enlighten these guys to what it was exactly.. As for buying model 70's, you better be on your A game, because I'm going to be snagging all the ones that I see that are good deals in your area..

BSA MAGA
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Well here is how much attention I paid, they had classic 375 Super Grade, a 300 mag Safari Express one of them had a replacement Pachmayr pad and they had a maple stock BACO model 70 Don’t remember the caliber.
Inside they had a FWT 06 that appeared to have a refinished stock and bottom metal that was completely devoid of finish and a FWT 264 with appeared to have a reblued barrel and a beat up stock.
I thought the Classic 280 AI with the custom stock was a nice looking gun, but I didn’t hold any of them!

I wish you well on the hunt BSA, I don’t have an A game, but I am a bit of a looney.

Ken

Last edited by knivesforme; 06/23/22.

If your a leftist, whatever Donald Trump says or does, that pisses you off rest assured, I am a Happy Camper!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by knivesforme
Well here is how much attention I paid, they had classic 375 Super Grade, a 300 mag Safari Express one of them had a replacement Pachmayr pad and they had a maple stock BACO model 70 Don’t remember the caliber.
Inside they had a FWT 06 that appeared to have a refinished stock and bottom metal that was completely devoid of finish and a FWT 264 with appeared to have a reblued barrel and a beat up stock.
I thought the Classic 280 AI with the custom stock was a nice looking gun, but I didn’t hold any of them!

I wish you well on the hunt BSA, I don’t have an A game, but I am a bit of a looney.

Ken

Sounds good Ken. I'm glad you were paying attention. I agree with you on the 1959 fwt. I didn't hold that one or any of the other ones for that matter. You described it well. I think I mentioned that rifle in another thread here. Maybe Battue's thread on his 30-06 fwt in the Mcmillan? Damn they wanted $1,200.00 for that one!! They are smoking crack I think.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I can’t find pictures of this 375 online through the gun library, but I’m curious - what store?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
I can’t find pictures of this 375 online through the gun library, but I’m curious - what store?

It's in Reno buddy. Probably not advertised, even though it is in their gun library. It really didn't catch my eye. I just noticed the tag. I've had 2 beautiful pre 64 model 70 375's that were nicer. Not saying this 375 wasn't nice, I am just not in the market for one and it didn't have enough bling to catch my eye. Ken may live closer to Reno to swing over there and handle it, but it's a 170 mile trip for me, or I'd go and examine the hell out of it for you..

BSA MAGA
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
All good. Definitely not a buyer so it’s just my curiosity. I suspect it’s a BACO - or a parts gun if new haven classic - but I’d like to know for sure.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
All good. Definitely not a buyer so it’s just my curiosity. I suspect it’s a BACO - or a parts gun if new haven classic - but I’d like to know for sure.

I wish I could guess, but my memory says it was probably a BACO because of the wood it had on it..

BSA MAGA

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
95 members (160user, 10Glocks, 308ld, 338reddog, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 9 invisible), 1,675 guests, and 755 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,766
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.