24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I recall the first time I saw Dad with his model 8, I thought to myself that it was an ugly gun. And it is! Only a mother could love something so ugly with such a fat barrel. Not at all graceful like the early 99’s. But I started developing an appreciation once I learned that it was a Browning design with its unique recoil system.

Adventure is the only thing you buy that makes you richer
BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
had one. it wasn't accurate (about 3 or 4" groups). It went down the road.
There were two old guys who drove the clay roads in a new Oldsmobile during hunting season when I was a kid. They had pogo sticks, don't know which model or caliber. I thought they had shotguns till they stopped to talk to my Dad one day and I could see the tiny (relatively) hole in the barrels. My Dad explained what they were after they drove off. Never saw them out of the Olds.

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The model 8/81s also had a following in law enforcement in their day.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Ahhhhh!!! The lovely Remington 8/81 rifles!!! I have a love affair with them as I do the Savage 99. My 'kid' memories with the 8/81 are similar as to why I love the 99. AS a kid in the late fifties and teen years in the 60's, all the outdoor, hunting, and gun magazines always displayed full page ads of the 8/81's and showed deer camp pictures with guys holding 99's, 8/81's, and Win 94's. Always dreamed of being one of those guys. The ads intrigued me. Didn't buy a 81 until around five years or so ago, same with a 99. Never did have a Win 94 lever gun, but have two Marlin 94's and a Uberti Model 66 (Yellowboy). If deer were allowed to be hunted in Iowa with bottle neck cartridges, I'd probably have bought a 99 or 8/81 sooner, but what is, Is, and I enjoy just being able to paper punch and shoot milk jugs full of water.

Regarding to what was posted earlier, the Model 81 isn't a cheaper Model 8. In 1936 Remington wanted to 'modernize' the Model 8, so they gave the stock a pistol grip and did a few things back and forth with the forearm. Basically the 81 is nothing but a 8 with a pistol grip stock, which actually makes for a stronger stock. Most everything between the two models is interchangeable as far as parts. The 25 Remington caliber was dropped in 1936 when the 81 was introduced and the 300 Savage was introduced. Most popular caliber for the 8 was the 35 Remington and for the Model 81 it is the 35 Rem and 300 Savage, although I see alot more 300 Savages for sale on GunBroker and Guns International. The 30 and 32 Remington's lasted for a while after the 81 came out, but they to were dropped after WW2 I believe. Remington just prior to WW2 was considering a Model 82, a advanced version of the 81 with a crossbolt safety and a few other refinements, but it dropped for lack of a second and WW2. A few rare Remington 81's in 25 Rem caliber are around that were produced in and a bit after 1936, but they are very rare.

The stampings on the barrel/receiver, and trigger assembly as indicated are fitters and assemblers marks. If you see duplicate stampings say on the receiver and trigger assembly, those are fitters stamps. Single ones are assemblers. Out of sequence stampings on the barrel jacket and/or the barrel jacket housing are usually from the rifle being sent back to Remington for work and stamped by gunsmiths at the plant. There is a whole list of marks depending on the employee and year of production. A great book on the 8/81 rifles is John Henwoods "The Great Remington 8 and Model 81 Autoloading Rifles". Out of print, can be pricey, but at times I see them reasonable. I paid around $65 and I thought it was pricey, but I've seen them push $200 here and there. Great informative book, just like Davids 99 book giving history, details and such. Not forgetting your book Rory, I did see that 81 you bought on GB with the Krieger mag capability. Those models usually are highly sot after and the Krieger magazines are much sot after also if they can be found for sale. I too bid on a firearm once, bidding what I thought was a soft bid that would be out bided. No one else bid and I bought the gun. Glad it turned out that way, the gun is a favorite now and worth more than I bid. Did learn my lesson there.

I have two post WW2 81's, both in 300 Savage and this spring I found a really nice, great shape 81 in 35 Remington. I've had great results reloading Varget, 3031, IMR and H4895, and have done some with IMR 4064 in the 300 Savages. Didn't have as good of results with Win 748. Varget and 3031 are my favorites for the 300 Savage. Can't get 1" MOA with the guns, but anywhere from 40-100 yards I can cover 5 shoots with the palm of one hand, some of the shots touching. Good enough if I were deer hunting. I'm just getting into cast bullet loading with Lee's 30 caliber 150 FT and 160 grain RN. Most of my bullet use has been Speers 150 grain 30 cal Hot Cores, both Spitzer and Flat Point's. Great accuracy. Using the info from load manuals, I'm confident of the fps and the ability if used for huntin, they'd drop a deer. One thing that is needed with the 'Pogo Sticks' recoil operated 8/81's is enough energy to operate the rifle, so downloading can be finicky if a person wanted to reload for just target without the recoil. Not having any 35 Reminton pior to getting the 1938 DOB 81 Rem, I'm just in the process of casting 200 grain bullets for it and had to replace the magazine spring. Some former owner replaced the original with some other zip-zag spring and I had a dickens of a time getting one. One of the hazards of online gun buying.

The recoil of my two 300 Savage 81's isn't bad, but I read and am a member of the Remington 8/81 forum and a 8/81 shooter there put me on to 'Limbsaver' brand slip on recoil pads. These things are a wonder. I bought two at a local store (a medium and large sizes) and tried them. The medium works best as far as fit on my 81's. In fact that size works great on my M1 Garands, collection of WW1/2 military bolt guns from four countries). Took the large size back and exchanged it for another medium. I'm no 'weany' when it comes to recoil, but don't enjoy it either. The Limbsaver really took the bite out of the 300 Savage as it did out of my military collection. The Russian WW2 Mosin/Nagant 7.62x54 is probably the biggest 'mule kicker' I have and a LimbSaver really tamed that beast down. The Limbsaver is around $30 retail and worth every dollar. Their 'AirTec' model is better than the 'Classic' model. Nice thing about the slip-on's is that they don't detract from original lines and lessen value vs adding a permanent recoil pad.

Enjoy the nostalgia of the Remington's as I do my three Savage 99's. I even donned my red/black wool jacket at times and take a 99 or 81 for an afternoon stroll along a river and/or timbers playing a hunter from yesteryear plinking at targets of opportunity. Enjoyable outings. Wish deer hunting was allowed with my 99's and 81's. I don't know how this post got so long, but gives ya all some reading time. All take care.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Thanks for that!

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The model 81 is a much uglier clunky cumbersome version of the model 8. There were many model 8's made with pistol grips. I wouldn't trade one model 8 for a dump truck load of 81's. The only good thing you can say about the 81's is they were chambered in 300 Savage and the model 8s were not.

At least to me, and I have handled and owned dozens of these guns in my life, in our 99 language comparing a model 8 to an 81 is like comparing a pre war G to a post mil E.

Last edited by 99guy; 06/22/22.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I appreciate all the comments and feedback. Hopefully this weekend i will be able to get to the range and give it a whirl! If it wasnt for it being chambered in 300 Savage i probably wouldnt even have traded for it. Will keep ya’s posted on how it shoots.

Joe

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
These rifles belong to one of our members and thought I would add them to this thread for him. I swear, he has examples of almost everything you could imagine. Speaking of 8's and 81's here's a few and a new one on me. Almost in the center partially hidden is a Remington lever action.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by triple_deuce
Woodmaster, mine has a bunch of different stampings on it. Would you know what they are or mean? I will try to post a couple pictures of them. I know there are 3 different ones stamped on the bottom of the receiver.

Sorry, I kind of forgot about this thread.

Those numbers are fitter, assembler, and inspector marks. They occur on numerous places on the gun.

The best resource for these guns is John Henwood's "The Great Remington 8 and 81 Autoloading Rifles". The Remington website is a treasure trove of knowledgable people on these guns. Your "Krieger" conversion looks like mine which I don't believe is a Krieger. Another posted a similar gun on the site a while back which is how I came to think mine is not a Krieger. It feeds well and the mag is secure in the well so it was well done. There is a guide to help identify a Krieger gun on the website.

Model 8s came in 25, 30, and 32 calibers to go with the original 35 caliber. The former are literally rimless versions of the Winchester 25/35, 30/30, and 32 Special rounds. The dies for the latter can make useable ammunition with the right she'll holder. If necessary, one can turn the rim off any of the Winchester cases and then cut an extractor groove to make cases for the Remington cartridges. The 35 Rem is on its own unique case head size.

The 81 originally came in 30, 32, and 35 calibers with 25 caliber being listed but few made. The 32 was replaced by the 300 Savage in 1940 or thereabouts. In the short time the 300 was available, it became the #2 seller over both models.

I need to find another 8 in 32 caliber and an 81 in 30. I foolishly sold the ones I had thinking I could pick up new ones. Since I did this I haven't found a gun nice enough to replace them. At least not reasonably priced.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Pretty sure I know those guns! Beautiful rifles. If I remember, there's an extended mag police version that's not in the picture.

Originally Posted by Longbeardking
These rifles belong to one of our members and thought I would add them to this thread for him. I swear, he has examples of almost everything you could imagine. Speaking of 8's and 81's here's a few and a new one on me. Almost in the center partially hidden is a Remington lever action.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by triple_deuce
I appreciate all the comments and feedback. Hopefully this weekend i will be able to get to the range and give it a whirl! If it wasnt for it being chambered in 300 Savage i probably wouldnt even have traded for it. Will keep ya’s posted on how it shoots.

Joe

I still own a model 81 in 300 Savage that came out of my family tree.

I remember one gentleman from my youth that hunted with my family's clan that carried one of these for as long as I knew him. He told me he had bought it new right after the war ended. He was still hunting with it when he was an old man probably up until the year 2000ish. If you showed him hair, he would show you meat. It was good enough for him that he never saw the need to own another rifle. He shot 180 grain Remington round nose bullets out of it. Swore by them. That gun killed a lot of deer.

~Admiral Yamamoto~

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Pretty sure I know those guns! Beautiful rifles. If I remember, there's an extended mag police version that's not in the picture.

Originally Posted by Longbeardking

If you look closely the extended mag police version gun is the top gun in the picture (model 81) with the extended mag out of the gun.

Looks like a former Los Angeles County version.

Look at the bottom gun in the picture. A model 8. A much more handsome specimen, at least to my eye and touch...

Last edited by 99guy; 06/22/22.

~Admiral Yamamoto~

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
https://www.morphyauctions.com/jame...fle-used-to-kill-bonnie-and-clyde-57943/

For those that are interested in such thing this makes excellent reading. I wonder where this gun is now and what it would bring?

Prentis Oakley was known as a deadly marksman and that is why it is said Frank Hamer put him on the posse.

~Admiral Yamamoto~

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by 99guy
The model 81 is a much uglier clunky cumbersome version of the model 8. There were many model 8's made with pistol grips. I wouldn't trade one model 8 for a dump truck load of 81's. The only good thing you can say about the 81's is they were chambered in 300 Savage and the model 8s were not.

At least to me, and I have handled and owned dozens of these guns in my life, in our 99 language comparing a model 8 to an 81 is like comparing a pre war G to a post mil E.

Guess it's up to the individual to determine what looks nice and what isn't. To me, the Model 8 looks as it is missing something without the pistol grip, sort of a starved Model 81. In my eye they are neither ugly or clunky. Of course the Remington 8/81's sort or have the reputation as a 'ugly' rifle anyway to some when comparing them with sleek lever or bolt rifles. I've always preferred the 81, but I'd take a 8 ifin it was in good shape and didn't have scope mount holes drilled into the receiver and/or a recoil pad added to the stock.

As far as Model 8's having pistol grip stocks, never happened, at least from the factory. The only exception were the Fabrique Nationale d'Armes Model 1900 (FN 1900) made in Belgium before WW1 and some say a few after. These were clones of Remington's Model 8, but most had a solid rib on top of the barrel, a checkered forearm, and a checkered round knob pistol grip. They bring big dollars if in good to excellent condition. I've seen what are described as Model 8's with a Model 81 stock that was fabricated to it and Model 81's with straight Model 8 stocks added. These are rifles that had some gunsmith do add-on's. The receiver serial number gives them away as to if they are 8's or 81's. The stocks aren't just able to switch from one model to another as the Model 81 has the rear of the trigger group's tang bent to accommodate the wooden pistol grip.

In 1936 when Remington switched over to the Model 81 from the 8, they did have a heavier, thicker forearm, but by around 1939 or so, they slimmed it down and shortened it. It wasn't an exact duplicate of the Model 8 forearm, but not as thick as the original Model 81. Saw a Model 8 with a serial number that dated it pre-WW1 not long ago for sale online that the seller described it as all original that had a pistol grip stock. Another seller had a post WW2 81 with a Model 8 style straight stock that the seller claimed was original and rare. NOT!!!!!! 99guy---Check out Henwood's book and the 8/81 forum as far as when straight vs pistol grips were produced on 8/81's. As far as looks, "Eye of the Beholder"! I don't care for the looks of Savage 99 PerchBelly stocks, some like em. I don't care for over engraved firearms, some droll at em., but hey---enjoy your posts, you take care.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Savage94C
As far as Model 8's having pistol grip stocks, never happened, at least from the factory..

Haha. Check your sources. I personally currently own 2 of them myself, the gun in the Morphy auction link above has a pistol grip. Hell, the gun listed on the opening page of thegreatmodel8.remington society website has a pistol grip. Was an option.

~Admiral Yamamoto~

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If you look closely the extended mag police version gun is the top gun in the picture (model 81) with the extended mag out of the gun.

Look at the bottom gun in the picture. A model 8. A much more handsome specimen, at least to my eye and touch...
Ah yeah, should have looked at the forearm. Still new to these. Knew there was one around, tho. grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Calhoun

Ah yeah, should have looked at the forearm. Still new to these. Knew there was one around, tho. grin

Information on the gun, at least what I can read is POLICE GUN Sheriff Dept. ( I can't make out what is here)
Los Angeles County

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not to belabor this point but this is a quote taken directly from the The Great Model 8 Remington Society Website:

"The majority of Model 8’s are the “A” grade; it is the basic, most common grade found. The Model 8A came with an ordinary American walnut stock and forearm. The buttstock could be had in either a straight grip, round knob semi-pistol grip, or flat knob semi-pistol grip (late production rifles). The metalwork was plain with no engraving on the receiver or barrel jacket"

~Admiral Yamamoto~

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
GREAT THREAD!

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Not to belabor this point but this is a quote taken directly from the The Great Model 8 Remington Society Website:

"The majority of Model 8’s are the “A” grade; it is the basic, most common grade found. The Model 8A came with an ordinary American walnut stock and forearm. The buttstock could be had in either a straight grip, round knob semi-pistol grip, or flat knob semi-pistol grip (late production rifles). The metalwork was plain with no engraving on the receiver or barrel jacket"
I knew there were multiple styles available, appreciate that.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
214 members (257 mag, 12344mag, 300jimmy, 10Glocks, 300_savage, 2UP, 22 invisible), 1,550 guests, and 878 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,592
Posts18,397,917
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.