Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
No more "shall issue" or other requirements for concealed carry.

If you want one and fulfill their reasonable requirements (training, reasonable fee, not a criminal), gov't has to issue you one.

Unfortunately nothing about interstate carry in the decision. Was hoping they'd tack that on, but it wasn't the question presented to the court.

New York governor crying to the media already.

Happy Day!

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
BP-B2

Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
The decision does say there is now a single test for whether 2A restrictions are legal : Whether there is historical precedent showing it was common to restrict 2A rights in that manner. Also pretty much demands 19th century or earlier...

THAT is huge. I'm not going to presume that it will strike down the 1934 NFA or 1969 GCA, but it makes many other things very hard to restrict. Might strike down the 1986 ban on sales of new machineguns, for example. All to be determined in future cases.

But lower courts now have a strict mandate.. show historical precedent for a restriction that burdens the exercise of a 2A right, or rule it unConstitutional.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Will it *ever* trickle down to us peons? I can't imagine any govt entity voluntarily changing their unconstitutional policy w/o being challenged first.

LOL
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
No, I don’t believe it will Fireball, they will continue to restrict how they want much like California. Court rules they do a end around.

If your a leftist, whatever Donald Trump says or does, that pisses you off rest assured, I am a Happy Camper!
Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I think the states that have "shall issue" concealed carry will cave quickly, though a few will stupidly try to fight it by coming up with other laws. DC did that after Heller, they eventually pretty much gave up.

Other laws I think will trickle down.. the ban on buying a handgun out of state from a dealer probably goes away if ever challenged. With instant background checks there's no logic to that, and it's a recent invention from 1969.
Ban on 18-20 year olds owning guns in a couple states will surely go away.
18-20 year olds not buying handguns might go also (not sure if there is historical precedent for that prior to 1969).
Not sure how the 1986 total ban on machineguns stays put since legally owned machineguns are never used in crimes, and no historical precedent for total ban on a class of weapons no matter how dangerous. Regulation? Yes. Total ban? Don't think so.
Stuff like requiring microstamping or smart guns or banning new handguns (CA) probably goes out the window.
NFA and $200 tax/tracking I don't think will go away.. Congress does have Constitutionally granted powers to tax
FFL's and background checks probably here to stay - Congress's power to regulate interstate commerce. But only as long as there aren't long delays.
Bumpstocks and suppressors aren't firearms or necessary components of one, so not sure anything will happen there due to this.
Nationwide reciprocal carry could happen.. there was no historical ban on the right to keep and bear arms stopping at a state border.
Magazine bans I can't imagine being upheld if a good lawyer argues it. Only a couple large magazine guns existed prior to the 14th Amendment (1860 Henry with 15 rds), and no restrictions on them. Any bans are very, very recent.

But these things will probably happen over a couple decades, unless SCOTUS starts slamming them out as per curiam decisions (short decisions with no arguments) like they did with the 2016 Caetano decision telling Massachusetts they can't ban stun guns because they are protected under the 2A.

Obviously I Am Not A Lawyer and I'm just guessing here.. but this was a huge win for the Second Amendment.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I really have a problem with treating 17 to 20 year olds like children. I joined the Navy reserve a few weeks after my 17th birthday. A high school friend of mine got killed in Viet Nam when he was 17. I was home on leave after my 21st birthday and went in to register to vote for the first time. You had to be 21 to vote in Florida at that time. In the conversation with the lady who registered me she asked how long I had been in the Navy. I told her 4 years. She said something to the effect that maybe I should have been allowed to vote when I was younger. At least the voting age is now 18. If a person is old enough to vote they are old enough to buy a firearm, long or short.
Since the people in the blue states (Democrats) are a bunch of crooks they will circumvent the law any way they can.
If my concealed carry permit had been legal in all 50 states I probably would have gone on to Connecticut and New Hampshire to photograph 99's for my new book. Loggah's wife Cheryl is as good a photographer as I am but I would have been able to get photos of different aspects of Don's and Dick's rifles that I would have wanted. The photos from Connecticut are alright but I could have gotten better photos. When I look at a gun I'm using in the book I see things that I want to include to fit the pattern of my ideas of what the book should contain. It's necessary to have the rifle in my hands in order to do this.
My point is that stupid laws have ramifications way beyond the intentions of the fools who make them. We see this all the time in all sorts of laws.

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Yes, a breath of fresh air in an otherwise stench filled D.C.

Originally Posted by wyo1895
Since the people in the blue states (Democrats) are a bunch of crooks they will circumvent the law any way they can.
Exactly! And the grabbers will attempt to grab again...

"Every day above ground is a good day."
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
last september Tx legislator passed a bill any one legal could legally carry, just like buying a hunting license. Gov. did not veto.....

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
688 members (12308300, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 160user, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 69 invisible), 2,780 guests, and 1,290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,632
Posts18,398,846
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.