S
SWJ Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Originally Posted by SWJ
@JCMCUBIC, Jordan, Kaleb and Mule Deer

Tract 2-10 or 3-15 vs SHV 3-10 -- splitting hairs or one better than the other? Zero stop and price seem to be the main difference in favor of Tract and illumination in favor of SHV?

Thanks

IMHO, it depends on what a person favors in "better".

Comparing the Toric 2-10 and SHV 3-10:
Toric is lighter (18.6 oz) and 1"
SHV is heavier (22.2 oz) and 30mm
Both have really good glass and user characteristics
Eye relief is longer on the Toric but both are usable
I prefer the T-plex to the Forceplex but both are good.
I like the zero stopped elevation option on the Toric....the option to cap it is also nice.
Toric is a longer scope (13.2"), SHV more compact in overall length (11.6")
The mounting length on both is pretty close: Toric 5.33", SHV 5.1"
Both have dialed/adjusted reliably for me
Both are 1/4 moa adjustments

I've been very happy with both. I'd guess the SHV is likely more rugged simply due to the 30mm tube and the shorter oal....how much more I really can't say...but it's something to consider.

Thanks for the info and insight. Forgot about the weight and length difference, but not really much with either. way My son felt like his 3-10 SHV made his Tikka feel too top heavy (IDK) so I just picked up a Toric 2-10 with the BDC. He liked Burris FFII BDC I had on another rifle and I wanted to try a Tract product. Interested to see how the BDC and zero stop tall turret work together. Haven't mounted or shot the Toric yet but couldn't really see that much difference between them but a few hundred bucks.

Last edited by SWJ; 06/07/22.
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by SWJ
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Originally Posted by SWJ
@JCMCUBIC, Jordan, Kaleb and Mule Deer

Tract 2-10 or 3-15 vs SHV 3-10 -- splitting hairs or one better than the other? Zero stop and price seem to be the main difference in favor of Tract and illumination in favor of SHV?

Thanks

IMHO, it depends on what a person favors in "better".

Comparing the Toric 2-10 and SHV 3-10:
Toric is lighter (18.6 oz) and 1"
SHV is heavier (22.2 oz) and 30mm
Both have really good glass and user characteristics
Eye relief is longer on the Toric but both are usable
I prefer the T-plex to the Forceplex but both are good.
I like the zero stopped elevation option on the Toric....the option to cap it is also nice.
Toric is a longer scope (13.2"), SHV more compact in overall length (11.6")
The mounting length on both is pretty close: Toric 5.33", SHV 5.1"
Both have dialed/adjusted reliably for me
Both are 1/4 moa adjustments

I've been very happy with both. I'd guess the SHV is likely more rugged simply due to the 30mm tube and the shorter oal....how much more I really can't say...but it's something to consider.

Thanks for the info and insight. Forgot about the weight and length difference, but not really much with either. way My son felt like his 3-10 SHV made his Tikka feel too top heavy (IDK) so I just picked up a Toric 2-10 with the BDC. He liked Burris FFII BDC I had on another rifle and I wanted to try a Tract product. Interested to see how the BDC and zero stop tall turret work together. Haven't mounted or shot the Toric yet but couldn't really see that much difference between them but a few hundred bucks.

Your son sounds like a smart kid. Kind of had things figured out with that Burris FFII, I'm assuming ballistic plex reticle, as they don't call it a "BDC".. You could have saved a lot of money and fu cking around by just going the same route..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
i am sure there are plenty good scopes out there today. but i have a story about a scope its a Burris 1-6 x 28 tactical 30 tube illuminate ability too. my buddy " Paws " a black cat with 4 white feet ,this ten year old cat don`t ever go any place he`s a fixed male and very loving only to me. well he climb up on my gun rack that is up about 7 1/2 feet high and knock my critter killer rifle down . the rifle is a Ruger laminate s.s. chambered now in 22 K-Hornet with this 1-6 x28 Burris scope on it , it landed on the cement floor scope hit 1st and it has some dings on it now but the stock was cracked real bad in back part of the reciever. rifle and scope did not look to good and the cat got a swear word or 2 . i set up a target and shot this rifle believe it or not off a rest it still shot in the bulleyes.the stock was cracked real bad and kinda would cut a person with the sharp wood sticking out so i removed the scope i took it to a great gun smith named Stu in St. Cloud MN. and he fixed my stock to near perfect. i got home and replaced the same marked up scope back on this Ruger rifle that had Ruger type reciever rings on it and wondered what and where this beat up scope was going shoot ? beleave it or not this marked up cement banged Burris 1-6 x28 tactical scope still shot in the center of the bulleyes on the 1st shoot and now is still killin critters dead. matter fact i put another one on a new AR-15 rifle sold 2 more because i am a dealer ,and now i plan on keeping some of these Burris 1-6x28 scopes in stock now. heck you can buy them for under $400.00 why not ? if i get to go to AFRICA this will be the scope i plan on taking with a spare too. good luck with what you choice for a scope. Pete53

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For me, the intersection of price/reliability/value/function/eye relief = my last five purchases, Leupold 5HD, with another on the way.

C
cdg Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
I have a Swarovski Z3 3-10X42 (BRH Reticle) on a Fierce Fury 7mm-08 and a Burris FFII 3-9X40 Ballistic Plex Reticle on a Kimber Montana 6.5CM.
The Z3 is a bit brighter but for my hunting range which maxes out at roughly 500 yards the FFII does everything I need it to for 1/4th the cost.

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Swaro Z3 3-10x42 with 4a reticle. Perfect for a KS in 280 Rem IMO

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 257Bob
For me, the intersection of price/reliability/value/function/eye relief = my last five purchases, Leupold 5HD, with another on the way.

I bought a 2-10 on impulse, mounted it on a known-to-be-accurate rifle.

Fired one shot, made adjustments to get it to 1.5" high at 100 yards, shot landed right where it was supposed to.

Next shot was at 325 yards, dialed up and got a hit on a small steel gong. Back to 100, and groups were very nice. Right where they should be.

A comprehensive test it wasn't, but I liked how it did that and the glass in that scope is nice, but rifle/scope are kinda heavy so I don't use it much. But it shore do shoot nice!

I also have an SHV, an NXS, and a couple-three Super-chickens, and of those, I favor the SHV, a 3-10.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Everyone has an opinion - backed up with good and valid reasons - so my version of the single best answer to your question is a Leupold (take you pick of generation, they are all good, or good enough) in 3x9. Why? That's what I use for that application. I am a hunter, not a target shooter/turret turner BTW: set and forget! KISS.

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
My .280 wears a Leupold VX3 3.5-10x CDS, which I have used for years on all manner of game. It is a fairly lightweight scope, and in Talley LW mounts, rifle and scope all up weighs only 7.7 lbs. My dial is calibrated for the Barnes 140 gr. TTSX, and it would be hard to imagine a more versatile, and effective, bullet/scope combo for use on all but the very largest of big game, IMO.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Lots of great optic options these days but Leupold VX-5 HD checks alot of boxes for those that know.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Vortex Razor LHT 3-15x42, comes with illuminated reticle, awesome mag range, a reliable locking turret, and good weight (a lot of features in 19oz). My go-to elk scope.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JohnBurns

Lots of great optic options these days but Leupold VX-5 HD checks alot of boxes for those that know.
Wish they had more non CDS models.

Regular capped adjustment knobs are fine for my uses.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 06/22/22.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Use to be that a 3-9x40 was considered a good all around rifle scope.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
For years my rifles have worn Leupy M8 6X42's. 7 mag, 7x57, and 338.06 most often used. Simple and love the eyebox...

Lately I have been messing around with Burris Fullfield II 3-9X with the ballistic-plex and I think they punch way above their weight class. I don't think you could go wrong with one. But, I am no expert!

J
JDK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Just picked up 2 of the 3-9s for $109 each. Pretty darned hard to beat them at that price

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Get rid of that crappy .280 and get something with a bolt knob the size of a fragmentation grenade and a $4000 scope with knobs as big as baby food jars.

Tacticool, Baby.

Imagine a corporate oligarchy so effective, so advanced and fine tuned that its citizens still call it a democracy.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’d go with a quality 6x scope.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
All around for me is a Meopta 6x42.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
I like either 3X15 or 4X16 for my all round scopes

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JDK
Just picked up 2 of the 3-9s for $109 each. Pretty darned hard to beat them at that price

I just ordered two myself when I saw the price,are they still made in the Philipines? Just as good as they were a decade ago?

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

526 members (1234, 17CalFan, 22kHornet, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 160user, 43 invisible), 2,669 guests, and 1,102 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,290
Posts18,467,910
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.