Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by Raspy
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by antlers
Originally Posted by Hastings
That would be requiring them to prove a negative which in most cases is not possible.
That’s clearly a false claim and has been pointed out as such every time you’ve made it. Not being able to prove a negative is a principle of folk logic, not actual logic. You’ve clearly ignored the previous responses to the false claim that you’re again making above, as is your prerogative.

Give an example of proving a negative.

Check out this professor's logic......... I'm not saying he is correct or incorrect, but it certainly gives one something to ponder.....

(Steven Hales is professor of philosophy at Bloomsburg
University, Pennsylvania.)

A principle of folk logic is that one can’t prove a negative. Dr. Nelson L. Price, a Georgia minister, writes on his website that ‘one of the laws of logic is that you can’t prove a negative.’ Julian Noble, a physicist at the University of Virginia, agrees, writing in his ‘Electric Blanket of Doom’ talk that ‘we can’t prove a negative proposition.’ University of California at Berkeley Professor of Epidemiology Patricia Buffler asserts that ‘The reality is that we can never prove the negative, we can never prove the lack of effect, we can never prove that something is safe.’ A quick search on Google or Lexis-Nexis will give a mountain of similar examples.

But there is one big, fat problem with all this. Among professional logicians, guess how many think that you can’t prove a negative? That’s right: zero. Yes, Virginia, you can prove a negative, and it’s easy, too. For one thing, a real, actual law of logic is a negative, namely the law of non-contradiction. This law states that a proposition cannot be both true and not true. Nothing is both true and false. Furthermore, you can prove this law. It can be formally derived from the empty set using provably valid rules of inference. (I’ll spare you the boring details). One of the laws of logic is a provable negative. Wait… this means we’ve just proven that it is not the case that one of the laws of logic is that you can’t prove a negative. So we’ve proven yet another negative! In fact, ‘you can’t prove a negative’ is a negative, so if you could prove it true, it wouldn’t be true! Uh-oh.

Not only that, but any claim can be expressed as a negative, thanks to the rule of double negation. This rule states that any proposition P is logically equivalent to not-not-P. So pick anything you think you can prove. Think you can prove your own existence? At least to your own satisfaction? Then, using the exact same reasoning, plus the little step of double negation, you can prove that you aren’t nonexistent. Congratulations, you’ve just proven a negative. The beautiful part is that you can do this trick with absolutely any proposition whatsoever. Prove P is true, and you can prove that P is not false.

Some people seem to think that you can’t prove a specific sort of negative claim, namely that a thing does not exist. So it is impossible to prove that Santa Claus, unicorns, the Loch Ness Monster, God, pink elephants, WMD in Iraq, and Bigfoot don’t exist. Of course, this rather depends on what one has in mind by ‘prove.’ Can you construct a valid deductive argument with all true premises that yields the conclusion that there are no unicorns? Sure. Here’s one, using the valid inference procedure of modus tollens:

1. If unicorns had existed, then there is evidence in the fossil record.

2. There is no evidence of unicorns in the fossil record.

3. Therefore, unicorns never existed.

Someone might object that that was a bit too fast, after all, I didn’t prove that the two premises were true. I just asserted that they were true. Well, that’s right. However, it would be a grievous mistake to insist that someone prove all the premises of any argument they might give. Here’s why. The only way to prove, say, that there is no evidence of unicorns in the fossil record, is by giving an argument to that conclusion. Of course, one would then have to prove the premises of that argument by giving further arguments, and then prove the premises of those further arguments, ad infinitum. Which premises we should take on credit and which need payment up front is a matter of long and involved debate among epistemologists. But one thing is certain: if proving things requires that an infinite number of premises get proved first, we’re not going to prove much of anything at all, positive or negative.

Maybe people mean that no inductive argument will conclusively, indubitably prove a negative proposition beyond all shadow of a doubt. For example, suppose someone argues that we’ve scoured the world for Bigfoot, found no credible evidence of Bigfoot’s existence, and therefore there is no Bigfoot. A classic inductive argument. A Sasquatch defender can always rejoin that Bigfoot is reclusive, and might just be hiding in that next stand of trees. You can’t prove he’s not! (until the search of that tree stand comes up empty too). The problem here isn’t that inductive arguments won’t give us certainty about negative claims (like the nonexistence of Bigfoot), but that inductive arguments won’t give us certainty about anything at all, positive or negative. All observed swans are white, therefore all swans are white looked like a pretty good inductive argument until black swans were discovered in Australia.

The very nature of an inductive argument is to make a conclusion probable, but not certain, given the truth of the premises. That’s just what an inductive argument is. We’d better not dismiss induction because we’re not getting certainty out of it, though. Why do you think that the sun will rise tomorrow? Not because of observation (you can’t observe the future!), but because that’s what it has always done in the past. Why do you think that if you turn on the kitchen tap, that water will come out instead of chocolate? Why do you think you’ll find your house where you last left it? Why do you think lunch will be nourishing instead of deadly? Again, because that’s the way things have always been in the past. In other words, we use inferences — induction — from experiences in every aspect of our lives. As Bertrand Russell pointed out, the chicken who expects to be fed when he sees the farmer approaching, since that is what had always happened in the past, is in for a big surprise when instead of receiving dinner, he becomes dinner. But if the chicken had rejected inductive reasoning altogether, then every appearance of the farmer would be a surprise.

So why is it that people insist that you can’t prove a negative? I think it is the result of two things. (1) an acknowledgement that induction is not bulletproof, airtight, and infallible, and (2) a desperate desire to keep believing whatever one believes, even if all the evidence is against it. That’s why people keep believing in alien abductions, even when flying saucers always turn out to be weather balloons, stealth jets, comets, or too much alcohol. You can’t prove a negative! You can’t prove that there are no alien abductions! Meaning: your argument against aliens is inductive, therefore not incontrovertible, and since I want to believe in aliens, I’m going to dismiss the argument no matter how overwhelming the evidence against aliens, and no matter how vanishingly small the chance of extraterrestrial abduction.

If we’re going to dismiss inductive arguments because they produce conclusions that are probable but not definite, then we are in deep doo-doo. Despite its fallibility, induction is vital in every aspect of our lives, from the mundane to the most sophisticated science. Without induction, we know basically nothing about the world apart from our own immediate perceptions. So we’d better keep induction, warts and all, and use it to form negative beliefs as well as positive ones. You can prove a negative — at least as much as you can prove anything at all.

Probability, likelihood, Credibility, Justification.

Some things may be possible, but as we haven't found evidence for their existence it cannot be proven that they don't exist.

Other claims that are so improbable that they (having no evidential support), may be dismissed without evidence, Zeus living upon Mt Olympus, Odin, Thor, Yahweh, Allah, Brahman, etc.....

Yet, the absence of evidence where it should be found is evidence for the absence of the object in question.

So far so good.....

Here are some examples of inductive reasoning:

Data: I see fireflies in my backyard every summer.
Hypothesis: This summer, I will probably see fireflies in my backyard.

Data: Every dog I meet is friendly.
Hypothesis: Most dogs are usually friendly.

Data: I tend to catch colds when people around me are sick.
Hypothesis: Colds are infectious.

Illegitimi non carborundum

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't know about all of these philosophical and theological debates. I think there is one constant among all religions and that is to try to be a good person. I try; but, I also fail as I'm only human. I hope the most I do is fail less than half the time and the best I do will be much better than that. I'd like to think when my day comes and I stand before God and he pulls out the score sheet of my life, looks at it, and determines there's one more checkmark in the good column than the bad column, he will look at me and say: "Well done Thomas, welcome aboard".

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by IZH27
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
If something is not proven to exist and doesn't manifest in any detectable way - why consider it at all? Sounds like a description of nothing. Why worry about nothing?

My question wasn’t limited to the idea of God alone. Many people, outside of religious thought, believe that there it the real possibility that time exists in coexisting dimensions. We certainly can’t prove that objectively. Do you allow for that possibility in your thinking or do you consider the concept unworthy of contemplation?

I let the experts work that out. They critically review each others work and test where they can to confirm validity. A concensus is reached as to whether an idea has any merit or is the best possible solution, or part of, so far. Science doesn't claim 100% certainty (religions do though, but with no evidence or testability or concensus).

Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by TheBigSky
I don't know about all of these philosophical and theological debates. I think there is one constant among all religions and that is to try to be a good person. I try; but, I also fail as I'm only human. I hope the most I do is fail less than half the time and the best I do will be much better than that. I'd like to think when my day comes and I stand before God and he pulls out the score sheet of my life, looks at it, and determines there's one more checkmark in the good column than the bad column, he will look at me and say: "Well done Thomas, welcome aboard".

Well said TheBigSky...only thing I can add is I believe that Jesus and God are real.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

All the good side check marks will mean nothing. The Father will ask, "What did you do with the Gift of My Son?"

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ringman
I'd like to think when my day comes and I stand before God and he pulls out the score sheet of my life, looks at it, and determines there's one more checkmark in the good column than the bad column, he will look at me and say: "Well done Thomas, welcome aboard".

All the good side check marks will mean nothing.
Well crap!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Do you believe in anything metaphysical? Time dimensions?Do you make allowances in your thinking that there is the possibility for the existence of anything else that you will never be able to define through the scientific method direct observation or any other physical means?

I can not. To be believed, there must be a physical manifestation. And not one which Jim Baker or David Copperfield could duplicate.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
My friend antlers has posted this before and I think it gets right through the BS of the doubters and their blanket assertion that none of it is true because of a passage in the Old Testament or because they haven’t really “looked”. They choose to not “look” because actually “looking” would show how fatally wrong they are and that would be a damaging blow to their little fragile egos. I’ve noticed that their (AACC) have continually ignored addressing the FACT that Jesus was a real man that really lived, he was crucified, died and was buried. His closest friends and followers…..you know the first hand witnesses MANY MANY witnesses saw him and spoke with him following his death and burial. Those FACTS are ignored by the cucks and they’re so enlightened that it’s beneath them to even respond. They can’t use their double talk, verbal diarrhea and typical dishonesty to obfuscate the truth so that’s why they’re always deflecting and using the same tired clichés…..they’re empty, vacuous but never in doubt. Those 2 cucks are so closed minded that NO AMOUNT OF PROOF would change their “minds”. It’s clear that they have made their choice and they will defend it vigorously. That’s fine with me since my salvation isn’t tied to their acceptance.

There is no doubt that the man "Jesus of Nazareth" did exist. The question is: "Was he God?"

Or was he a tool of a breakaway group of priests attempting to displace the old hierarchy (coup, if you will) and take The Church in a new direction more attuned to the needs of a world becoming civilized under Roman rule?

Is it really that hard to read ancient prophesies and bring them to life? Any magician could perform the miracles attributed to Christ. Many today do so in televised attempts to bilk the public of untold sums.

The resurrection? Easier to duplicate than the assassination of JFK, or a stolen election. You just need a body double and some willing cohorts.

If Christ was a god, he could not die. If Christ was a man, death was permanent.

That's just the way I see it.

DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DBT
Do you believe in anything metaphysical? Time dimensions?Do you make allowances in your thinking that there is the possibility for the existence of anything else that you will never be able to define through the scientific method direct observation or any other physical means?

Why is believing in something intangible or unknowable important? Is it a matter of comfort? To give oneself the impression of truth, having the answers to questions where no answers exist? What is the purpose or point of faith? Why do people adhere to Hinduism or Islam, Judaism, Christianity, etc?

That wasn’t the point of my question. Why do you exert so much energy engaging people in conversation about religion? Why would it matter to you if someone found comfort in religion? You obviously don’t see a point to faith yet you have much to say about it.

Were you too born an atheist or is atheism something that you chose?

I'm not exerting much energy, hardly at all.

The thing that should considered is why some get enraged by reasonable questioning of beliefs....something that they themselves should be doing in the interest of sorting fact from fiction.

Isn't questioning important? Shouldn't Muslims, Hindus, Jews, etc, question their beliefs? If so, why not Christians?

Or is comfort valued higher than truth?

DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
So far so good.....

Gosh, really? wink

How does inductive reasoning support a justified belief in God? And which version of God?

Last edited by DBT; 06/22/22.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DBT
The thing that should be considered is why some get enraged by reasonable questioning of beliefs....something that they themselves should be doing in the interest of sorting fact from fiction. Isn't questioning important? Shouldn't Muslims, Hindus, Jews, etc, question their beliefs? If so, why not Christians? Or is comfort valued higher than truth?
That’s a facade. And many good and smart men here see right through it. And have for a long time.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DBT
The thing that should be considered is why some get enraged by reasonable questioning of beliefs....something that they themselves should be doing in the interest of sorting fact from fiction. Isn't questioning important? Shouldn't Muslims, Hindus, Jews, etc, question their beliefs? If so, why not Christians? Or is comfort valued higher than truth?
That’s a facade. And many good and smart men here see right through it. And have for a long time.

Sour Grapes. That is your rationale. It's understandable that you feel that way.

Believers are bound to get upset and defensive. Just question a Muslim to see how upset some can get.

I have described and supported everything I said.

It's not even complicated.

Fact #1 - Religion is based on faith. Faith as defined in relation to religion is a belief held without the support of evidence (what it says in holy books is not evidence).

Different religions, denominations, sects, etc, have opposing theological beliefs, different versions of the idea of God, the nature of God and relationship to humankind, how the world was created, when it was created, etc.

Now, just basic logic tells us that all of these beliefs and theologies cannot be true. If one is right, the rest must be wrong, or all could wrong, but they cannot all be true.

Which raises the question of the reliability of faith, when countless beliefs are held, yet most if not all must, logically, be wrong.

You don't need to be that smart to grasp the problem, as unpalatable as it may be for some.

I
IZH27 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by DBT

Why is believing in something intangible or unknowable important? Is it a matter of comfort? To give oneself the impression of truth, having the answers to questions where no answers exist? What is the purpose or point of faith? Why do people adhere to Hinduism or Islam, Judaism, Christianity, etc?

That wasn’t the point of my question. Why do you exert so much energy engaging people in conversation about religion? Why would it matter to you if someone found comfort in religion? You obviously don’t see a point to faith yet you have much to say about it.

Were you too born an atheist or is atheism something that you chose?

The thing that should considered is why some get enraged by reasonable questioning of beliefs....something that they themselves should be doing in the interest of sorting fact from fiction.

Isn't questioning important? Shouldn't Muslims, Hindus, Jews, etc, question their beliefs? If so, why not Christians?

Or is comfort valued higher than truth?

I do believe that questioning is important. That’s why I like to have discussions with people who believe differently. It’s extremely valuable on multiple levels.

Last edited by IZH27; 06/23/22.
I
IZH27 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
Would you guys describe the basis of your understanding as materialistic evolution?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DBT
No you haven’t. At all. But maybe “supported” has a different meaning to you than it does to others.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
The resurrection? Easier to duplicate than the assassination of JFK, or a stolen election. You just need a body double and some willing cohorts.

If Christ was a god, he could not die. If Christ was a man, death was permanent.

That's just the way I see it.

Your ignorance is only overshadowed by your arrogance.

Everyday Hunter
I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Arrogance would be if I was convinced I needed to convince the world to believe as I. If I thought my truth was the only truth and everyone else needed to conform.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by DBT
So far so good.....

Gosh, really? wink

How does inductive reasoning support a justified belief in God? And which version of God?

You tell me.... I was just pointing out an example of proving a negative from professor Steven Hales of philosophy, at Bloomsburg
University, Pennsylvania.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Arrogance would be if I was convinced I needed to convince the world to believe as I. If I thought my truth was the only truth and everyone else needed to conform.

A dictionary might help.

Everyday Hunter
DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DBT
No you haven’t. At all. But maybe “supported” has a different meaning to you than it does to others.

The problem is that you either are not willing consider what I point out, or are unable to understand the idea of contradiction...as simple as it is.

If you had understood, you would understand that faith is the foundation of theology, not because I say so, but that this is readily observed in relation to religious belief and theology, that Hindus do indeed have a different theology to the Abrahamic faiths, which in turn varies between Christianity, Islam, Judaism, not to mention all the sects.

This is an observable fact, we do have a huge collection of opposing beliefs, which is the reason why they categorized as faith.

It's not hard. It has nothing to do with what I say. It's there for everyone to see regardless of what I say.

Page 22 of 36 1 2 20 21 22 23 24 35 36

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

720 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 62 invisible), 2,558 guests, and 1,171 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,144
Posts18,464,915
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.