Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
AF breakers are finicky AF. Hense the name.

Battery chargers, electronics, phone chargers, etc can set them off.

And electricians get lazy and gang stuff up on "dedicated" circuits, knowing the inspector won't catch it.

Turn off that breaker and check every light and possible electrical item in your house. Something else may be on it.

If it is AF breaker, get rid of it. If it is a GFI breaker, change the outlet to a 20 Amp GFI and put a standard breaker in. Solved problem.

GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Swifty52
Year old house call the contractor/builder and I bet they fix it for you.

Still under builder's warranty. I'll give them a call. Was going to ask them to spring for a new breaker anyway. I'll ask them to switch types as needed.

T
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by KenMi
Turn off that breaker and check every light and possible electrical item in your house.

I like that idea. I'll do that.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Bad breaker likely. Seen quite a few of them in the last few years

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
As a licensed electrician, my advice is to call a licensed electrician, or the contractor and try to get this repaired under warranty. You can try unplugging everything in the laundry room and see if it still happens just to have some more information. A laundry room should have a dedicated 20 amp circuit. It should be GFCI protected by either a GFCI receptacle, or it will be protected by a GFCI breaker (which sounds like the case).

If you have any questions, please feel free to send me a message and I can help you any way I can.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ackleydave
Originally Posted by Sheister
Originally Posted by denton
Originally Posted by Barney_Fife
Is there a ground fault receptacle on this circuit anywhere by chance?

^^^^^This

Shouldn't be if the electrician knew what he was doing. Circuit should go directly from the breaker to the washing machine receptacle with nothing else on the circuit. GFI not required on washing machine circuits in most jurisdictions.

God I hate getting into electrical questions on the internet but when I see statements like these I have to say something. As per the NEC the wash machine has to be GFI protected and any other receptacles in the room can be on the circuit too. The new code actually requires electric dryers be gfi protected also.

Okay, I'll admit when I'm wrong here. The code changed the requirement in 2017 and Oregon didn't adopt the new Code until 2018 - right after I retired. Mea Culpa I didn't keep up with the code changes and even let my license expire.

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
X2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Travis13
As a licensed electrician, my advice is to call a licensed electrician, or the contractor and try to get this repaired under warranty. You can try unplugging everything in the laundry room and see if it still happens just to have some more information. A laundry room should have a dedicated 20 amp circuit. It should be GFCI protected by either a GFCI receptacle, or it will be protected by a GFCI breaker (which sounds like the case).

If you have any questions, please feel free to send me a message and I can help you any way I can.
X2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Sheister
Is the breaker a standard breaker or a GFI breaker, or possibly an Arc Fault type breaker? These last two breakers are known to have problems with motor driven devices at times. Washing machine receptacles aren't required to be GFI or AFI protected according to code in most jurisdictions.

Just a couple things to check...

This is the first thing I would check

Clos

NRA Life Member

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

185 members (19rabbit52, 10gaugemag, 30Gibbs, 345dl, 1_deuce, 264mag, 28 invisible), 2,681 guests, and 1,011 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,278
Posts18,467,637
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.