Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
pullit Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Been seeing hens wondering around with their new little ones often around the house here. From what I am seeing, it looks like they had a good hatch. Saw some about a week ago about a mile form the house and saw some yesterday as I was going the other direction about 1/2 mile form my house. Seeing them in several fields around now that hay is being cut. Hope they all make it thru til next year.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
BP-B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

My yard is full of these little critters. Rio7

C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
My boy Max would gladly help exterminate them varmints :

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R
Good Boy MAX. Rio7

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've only seen one hen with poults, so far. But, to be fair.............. I haven't looked too hard.

LOVE seeing those bobwhites !!!!!!!

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've not seen any turkey poults or quail this year.

Why do I have to press 1, for English?
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R

Did you say Turkey's?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
^^^^^^^^^^^^^

AWESOME shot !!!!!!!

P
pullit Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
when I was driving, I was not quick enough with my phone to take pictures but the ones I saw were not that big yet

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've seen a bunch of hens, but none with poults. Should have been good nesting weather here, and I've trapped a bunch of coons, but I believe there is more to it than that for the decline in numbers.

IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R

We are covered up with Turkey's Rio7

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
She's got her eye on you RIO7! Lol!

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dang, that's a cool pic !!!

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R
Yoder, here's another. Rio7

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You kill those on nuisance permits ??? LOL !!!!

You're slap covered UP in those vermin !!!! Fun thing about Rios is they are almost ALWAYS willing participants in assisted suicide. Lots of fun to hunt. Especially hearing 30 or so toms all gobbling from the same pecan stand in the dark of the morning.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Both turkey nests by my house hatched though I haven't seen any broods nearby. That isn't surprising as the hen's seem to prefer the woods further back.

Pheasants were 50/50 for nest success. Three nests were raided with what looked like one hen caught. I'm hoping the other two renested but the neighbor cut hay early which may have hurt other nests. I've caught 21 raccoons so far and have shot two coyotes and a gray fox. An orange tabby from across the road shows up regularly but he seems to concentrate on the rabbits to my wife's joy. I've watched him walk right through the chickens with nary a glance at them.

The other three nests hatched and I've seen those broods a few times. At least I've seen three different broods. One hangs out just behind the house with another by my food plot and the third on the property line a couple hundred yards away. I've counted 23 chicks from the three groups which is a little small but it's more broods than I've seen nearby in quite a while.

I have two rooster pheasants that visit every evening. They get along quite well. Two other roosters venture into the yard and that often ends in a fight. They aren't as violent nor as long lasting as earlier but feathers generally fly.

Depending on how much the early haying adversely affected nesting, it looks like a much better than normal fall for my backyard pheasants.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not sure where you're at..................but I'd give my left nut for naturally reproducing pheasants (or bobwhite). Around here...........you can have the best habitat possible and STILL have no pheasants or bobwhites.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I'm in Minnesota, north of the Twin Cities metro area. From home I'll shoot 20 - 30 roosters in a season with neighbor's adding another dozen or so. its not difficult to run up those numbers as cover starts 20 yards from the back door and I can do multiple 20 minute to hour long sweeps per day if I wish. I don't bag a bird every time but the opportunity to do so occurs more often than not.

There is also a small remnant ruffed grouse population in the woods outback but I stopped managing for them more than 15 years ago. They are on the way out due to being isolated and lack of genetic diversity and I'm surprised they have lasted this long. I've switched to managing for oaks instead, something the deer and turkey appreciate. Squirrels too, especially fox squirrels as they have increased from occasional sightings to common occurances. I had one raiding the bird feeder in the front yard but one day he followed the chicken across the road and didn't make it.

The only quail seen around here are those that escape from my dog training and they don't last much past first significant snow. At one time they were found around here but that was better than 80 years ago before corn and soybeans became the dominate crops.

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R

Quail traffic jam. Rio7

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Love this !!!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
700 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 222ND, 72 invisible), 2,787 guests, and 1,322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,632
Posts18,398,825
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.