Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
I have been getting all the cars and trucks 5x5 (misc. stuff that has been seldom used with iffy brakes/u-joints/tires et al).

Made ANOTHER Rockauto order last night... I am starting to see lots of "Out Of Stock" stuff.

Just saying... if y'all are thinking about investing money... ya might want to get a few rotors, calipers, starters et al laying on the shelf... vs. the stock market.

For example... Chevy calipers... once the last two cheapos are gone... you will be looking at $477 PER CALIPER

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Haven't had to replace a starter since 96 and that was on a 1988

Caliper on a VW in 2007 and that was on a 2000

U-joint on a Toyota in 2005 that was on a 99

New stuff is pretty good.

Me

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Teal
Haven't had to replace a starter since 96 and that was on a 1988

Caliper on a VW in 2007 and that was on a 2000

U-joint on a Toyota in 2005 that was on a 99

New stuff is pretty good.

OK...

I am kinda harsh on my stuff.

Just got Roger to rebuild a 47RE for me... all gears were welded together... "In 42 years I have never seen that before Leonard... took me an hour on the 60 ton press to get your input shaft out."

To each his own...

I am getting my stuff right.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
All I'm saying - that is IME - the larger, hardware stuff today is really pretty good and lasts a long time. You almost have to be abusive in some way to "be hard" on a starter or brake caliper.

If I was worried about making sure I had a running vehicle 18 months into SHTF scenario - I'd probably be looking at sensors more than starters/calipers etc. I'd want MAF, O2, spare injectors, IAC valve etc. Those types of things, as advanced as we seem to be getting still seem to suck and IME replace a lot more often than the other stuff.

Me

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
All I'm saying - that is IME - the larger, hardware stuff today is really pretty good and lasts a long time. You almost have to be abusive in some way to "be hard" on a starter or brake caliper.

If I was worried about making sure I had a running vehicle 18 months into SHTF scenario - I'd probably be looking at sensors more than starters/calipers etc. I'd want MAF, O2, spare injectors, IAC valve etc. Those types of things, as advanced as we seem to be getting still seem to suck and IME replace a lot more often than the other stuff.
Parts won't be an issue with vehicles with empty tanks.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
It's not auto parts but, I ordered a portable welder online a week ago and received an email the day after.
"We don't know when you'll receive your order as the manufacturer can't get needed components to complete assembly"

Lucky to find one used, locally!

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

There's that as well.

I think the mentality shift will be hardest for most people. 99% of the "what do I do for shtf?" is about maintaining a pre-event life. That's just not going to happen and the SHTF isn't "transitory" - it's a paradigm shift and post major event will be very different and your priorities will likely be very different.

Maybe Cash isn't worried about SHTF and its just about normal stocking etc - but it's a 2 year old truck he's buying a starter for. Likely he needs a new starter on a 2 year old truck in the next 8 years? Reason to believe starters, for some reason, wouldn't be available 8 years from now or even 2? Why I was thinking SHTF because buying today for an event 8 years from now AND assuming it's not SHTF is low. Now if his truck was already 8 years old and he's buying today - yep, makes sense.

Me

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

There's that as well.

I think the mentality shift will be hardest for most people. 99% of the "what do I do for shtf?" is about maintaining a pre-event life. That's just not going to happen and the SHTF isn't "transitory" - it's a paradigm shift and post major event will be very different and your priorities will likely be very different.

Maybe Cash isn't worried about SHTF and its just about normal stocking etc - but it's a 2 year old truck he's buying a starter for. Likely he needs a new starter on a 2 year old truck in the next 8 years? Reason to believe starters, for some reason, wouldn't be available 8 years from now or even 2? Why I was thinking SHTF because buying today for an event 8 years from now AND assuming it's not SHTF is low. Now if his truck was already 8 years old and he's buying today - yep, makes sense.

You make many incorrect assumptions...

The Chevy caliper in question came up a month ago in this forum "How much for a brake job on a late model Chevy?"

Normal answer to an incomplete question would be $400 - $600 in parts for all 4 corners... assuming calipers and hoses. Obviously, much less if just pads.

I did NOT expect the answer (all parts to be $2,500)... plus labor.

That was the point.

As for other assumptions... I have done two starters on my Cummins trucks in the past 6 months. I use Remy (they are the best IMHO).

Calipers and rotors in WV get cooked constantly. Jake/exhaust brakes, 4WD low and/or manuals are critical. AWD and FWD do not stand a chance.

Stockpiled fuel... I will not discuss particulars.

As for sensors... I concur. Sound logic if you need/use them.

I run 4 Cummins that can swap parts. You live in "Flyover Country" and work at a desk (I assume).

Do not judge another man and his needs.

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C

THAT... I agree with 100%

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I didn't judge - I simply exchanged my ideas. I live 45 minutes from the nearest Walmart, my local NAPA doesn't even stock anti-seize. I'm just fine when it comes to getting by and around in less than urban environments.

I've driven truck (van, tanker and logs over 190,000 lbs - including field repairs), installed AC, run heavy diesel equipment (CAT 980F, not garden tractors), managed Peterbilt shops (parts AND service) - The only mechanical work I pay others to do is wheel bearings and oil changes. I hate doing WB's and oil changes - time is money. Cheaper for me to pay someone else.

You sir seem to like to assume an awful lot about others. I currently jockey a desk - yep, and have managed hundreds of millions to billions in supply chain/transportation expenditures. If that somehow bothers you - I guess that's on you. I've done X, progressed to Y - doesn't mean my experience in X suddenly is invalid. I'll not apologize for rising to the level of my ability.

Me

IC B3

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Not bothered in the least Teal.

Stockpile whatever you think is best... or stockpile nothing at all.

Really really...

this post was made only for folks that might not be thinking ahead just yet.

Couple years ago there were posts like this regarding primers, powder and ammo.

Chris, Tycen and I bought a pallet of primers at $15 per k.

Each man has to make his own decisions.

So be it.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

702 members (117LBS, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 70 invisible), 2,833 guests, and 1,179 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,154
Posts18,465,082
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.