Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
G
GregW Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
What is everyone eating these days, bar wise? I usually rotate Larabars, Clif Bars, and a few others, even making my own.

I eat them a lot at camp, in my packs for scouting trips, etc.

What's everyone eating these days commercial or homemade that is relatively nutritional?

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I like Probars (Thanks EdT). They're tasty and about 400 calories. I bring along some Almond butter to slather on, Justin's in the foil pouches. That adds another 200 calories and protein.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

G
GregW Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Probars. Tried them a few times.

I also go heavy on the Justin's nut butter stuff but massaging them in cold weather to mix gets old. I've started taking jars of I go the nut butter route...

- Greg

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I always have a snickers bar per day. I can't eat cliff bars without dry heaving anymore, so that's out. I wander through rei and grab at least one of whatever looks good. I like the old school power bars for nostalgia. Probably have one per day. I guess the same for nature valley dry green wrapper bars. 1-2 there. Usually have a few sweet salty nut bars from nature valley too, and fill in the rest with cheap junk. Nutragrain breakfast bars, chewy granola bars, etc.

I do ziplocks of dried fruit, nuts, jerky, trail mix, etc. I don't break those down by day, just eat it when it sounds good. I also have a few protein bars from the generic gym rat isle. That's a real crap shoot, and the only way to know for sure is to eat one per day pre gam to make sure they don't rot your guts.

I get sick of peanut butter pretty quickly, especially when mixed with chocolate, so tread lightly there. Otherwise I try to keep a variety. Anything I find that isn't chocolate or peanut butter gets tested.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Power bars and Clif bars are a no-go for me. I know a guy who keeps a power bar in his "survival kit" because he knows he won't be tempted to eat it unless his life depends on it. And ten years later it'll still be just like new. Knew a woman who did long distance bike races, she liked 'em because she could cut them into quarters and stick them to the bike frame, peel them off and eat as needed.

Clif bars are just too sweet for me.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I do a homeade varity made with rolled oats, honey, dried blueberries, protein powder, almond butter or Adam's peanut butter, and coconut milk. Sometimes I throw in chocolate chips or almonds for a change. Cut them into sqaures and take to work or the hills. Only problem is they kinda "melt" a bit in warm weather. I eat them almost everyday whether with coffee in the AM or as a mid-day snack.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
J
https://www.samsclub.com/p/nv-chewy-trail-mix-bars-48-ct/prod19730591?xid=plp_product_11

I like these. Although when cold you have to really gnaw on them.

805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Greg
Bobo bars are pretty good. I’ve been meaning to try some of the Big Sur bars also.

A staple in my pack is some Justin’s nut butter and a Lenny and Larry’s cookie! It’s a pretty good combo.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I’m a big fan of Green Belly meal bars.

G
GregW Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by 805
Greg
Bobo bars are pretty good. I’ve been meaning to try some of the Big Sur bars also.

A staple in my pack is some Justin’s nut butter and a Lenny and Larry’s cookie! It’s a pretty good combo.

Bobos are good and part of the rotation. I'll take a peak at the other one.

- Greg

IC B3

G
GregW Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Those Big Surs are only 200'ish calories and over 3$ each. ouch.

- Greg

805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by GregW
Those Big Surs are only 200'ish calories and over 3$ each. ouch.

That’s why I haven’t tried them yet but a few guys I know swear by them.

I usually have a bunch of the honey stinger waffles in my food sack also. Justin’s butter on those is delicious also.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
When backpacking I eat the Met rex bars for breakfest. 400 calories, lightwieght, and they tast pretty good!

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
What I do for day trips is pretty different than what I do backpacking.

For day trips, I usually grab ..

Hershey's chocolate bars .. the little snack size / halloween bowl size
Nature Valley granola bars - peanutbutter flavor
Power Bars "protein plus" - vanilla flavor
Jerky - usually Oberto thin style, regular or peppered - small pack
3-4 quarts of water

Backpacking is a different game .. more or less. I'm a fan of "just add water", don't care for cooking, don't care to pack enough fuel for real cooking.

breakfast is usually mountain house, either granola and blueberries if I don't want to boil water, scrambled eggs (preferably with bacon), breakfast hash, or the like.
Lunch is usually like the day hike stuff
Dinner .. more mountain house .. pretty much any flavor, just bring salt and pepper.

I'm thinking of stirring things a bit this summer. Been messing with intermittent fasting and light keto .. bulletproof coffee deal .. and I've lost 20 pounds since Jan 1. Think I will try lugging a small can of the coffee for breakfast, either the blueberry / granola mountain house or peanutbutter granola bar (It is crazy how long one of those things will carry me / distract me from being hungry) for lunch, maybe some jerky, and try biltong sliced for dinner. Might be able to skip the weight of stove and fuel and some of the food bulk. We'll see ...

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Snickers, trail mix/granola and home made jerky.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I do a rolled tortilla with peanut butter and jelly

I make them up in advance. The lay nicely in a gallon ziplock

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
homemade protein power bars. Dried fruit, protein powder, peanut butter, oats, good chocolate chips

G
GregW Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Sounds like most have found the same thing I have. Homemade bars are cheaper and typically more nutritious and taste better...

- Greg

W
WMR Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by smokepole
Power bars and Clif bars are a no-go for me. I know a guy who keeps a power bar in his "survival kit" because he knows he won't be tempted to eat it unless his life depends on it. And ten years later it'll still be just like new. Knew a woman who did long distance bike races, she liked 'em because she could cut them into quarters and stick them to the bike frame, peel them off and eat as needed.

Clif bars are just too sweet for me.

"Power Bars: They'll be there when you need them!" My sentiments exactly. Only a starving man would partake. The drawback is that they are so rank, they may cause vomiting, which makes a survival situation more dire. Trail mix for me. Kar's makes the best commercial varieties, IMO. Actually, my homemade mix is better as I use dried cherries instead of raisins. Add some nuts, M&M's and sesame sticks for a tasty mix. Also, Tedthorn speaks wisdom with the PB&J tortillas. They are filling, tasty and stupid easy.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Snickers bar for the win !

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

423 members (12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 37 invisible), 1,960 guests, and 1,077 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,603
Posts18,454,726
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.