-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm a .308 guy when it comes to hunting short actions.

That said, I just bought a CTR in 6.5 CM. Night coyote zapping with 95 gr. Amax and whatever else up to cow elk inside 400 yards with 140 gr. Norma SP. Maybe a good homestead overwatch rifle too, if it ever comes to that.

Interesting, multi-duty cartridge. How can a rifle loony not like it? Having said that, I don't believe that it's any kind of long-range elk medicine. Cartridges aside, not many shooters are long-range elk medicine, including me.

Guess I'd better start growing out my hair for that manbun. I ain't wearing no tie-dye though. Gotta draw the line somewhere.

Haul ass, haul ass! - Pappy
GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I’ve taken a good amount of critters with my 260 which is just a tad hotter than the 6.5 Creed….

Both are a lot like the 7-08, but with slightly better ballistics and the right shoulder & neck length to let you squeeze long pills into your magazine without seating them so deep you worry about it.

I will probably put a 6.5 barrel on my AR10 build because I don’t want 2 uppers… and 7-08/260/6.5 Creed chambering are just flexible for yotes, and deer.. hogs, … even PRS.. a 308 would be my choice if I spent more time deer hunting, and less time shooting at competitions.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
.[/quote] JB,

In a way the 6.5MM CM suceeded in spite of the early advertising.

I think it could be said it was the first round where SAAMI specs had chambers, throats, freebore, and ammo that delivered safety and very accurate rifles combined with twist rates that handled long bullets with decent to better than decent BCs.

There has never been a round so well designed that made it through SAAMI.

Add in low recoil and enough killing power.

Velocities fast enough to deliver decent trajectories but also good termial results from cup and core bullets.

The best Goldilocks round so far.[/quote]

All excellent points--and exactly what I found after actually using the round more than a little bit for the last dozen years!

In fact, as I've mentioned before, have continued to buy factory 6.5 Creedmoor rifles to see how well they shoot, especially with factory ammo. So far there's only been one disappointment, but suspect it was due to the the rifle's stock, as I just bought another of the same brand but with a much improved stock, and it shoots very well.

John

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm a 256 Newton fan. Heck of a cartridege, but the timing of its introduction was all wrong, the start of WW1, so the rifles that Charles Newton had contracted to be built by Mauser in Germany were no longer available and setting up a manufacturing operation to build rifles on an action of your own design proved to be easier said than done.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Where is it written that we all have be just alike?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
IC B2

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
[video:youtube]Garden Party by Ricky Nelson 1972 Official | Stone Canyon Band | Original Lyrics in Description[/video]

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
There's nothing wrong with the Creed. If I had an empty safe and were shopping for my first ground squrrel to deer rifle, the Creed would be an acceptable choice.

But since the safe already contains rifles in 243, 6mm-284, 25-06, 7mm-08, 264 Win mag, and three chambered in 260 Rem. And all the associated reloading equipment and brass is already on the bench. There is no justification for a Creed at my house.

I can't remember ever having to justify buying something that I wanted, even if it was redundant to multiple things that I already had.

I like rifles and I like cartridges, so a new rifle or new cartridge is just an itch that needs to be scratched.
I suspect that I am like the vast majority of the shooting public in that I have a limited budget, a portion of which may be spent on a shooting/reloading hobby.

So yes, some justification must occur, and some choices preclude other choices.

I have found it unwise to attempt to spend the same dollar more than once.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
JB,

I think it could be said it was the first round where SAAMI specs had chambers, throats, freebore, and ammo that delivered safety and very accurate rifles combined with twist rates that handled long bullets with decent to better than decent BCs.

Velocities fast enough to deliver decent trajectories but also good termial results from cup and core bullets.

All excellent points--and exactly what I found after actually using the round more than a little bit for the last dozen years!

In fact, as I've mentioned before, have continued to buy factory 6.5 Creedmoor rifles to see how well they shoot, especially with factory ammo. So far there's only been one disappointment, but suspect it was due to the the rifle's stock, as I just bought another of the same brand but with a much improved stock, and it shoots very well.

John[/quote]

John, those are exactly the sentiments I expressed when buying the 260 soon after its factory introduction. It was designed to do perfectly that which I wanted done.

Later I decided to delve into longer bullets, faster twist barrels, and longer magazines.

Had the Creedmoor been introduced first, I would have been as happy working with it.

Today, there is nothing I could do with a Creedmoor that I can not do with one of my 260s. But yes, my rifles have been modified to do it.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Small add to the comments -

Accuracy wise - it’s the Brass spec to Chamber spec’s that make it accurate - meaning it’s NOT JUST the chamber spec.

Some of the best gunsmiths have known this for years and buy custom chamber reamers to keep these types of tolerances between the brass and the chamber.. couple it with precision chambering and you get a tack driver as long as the barrel is good..

Cartridge design wise - it’s making the brass optimal for shooting longer pills for longer distance accuracy (barrel makers jumped up twists as well) that are seated more optimally and still fit in the magazine..

But for accuracy the chamber to brass spec if most likely the biggest factor..

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
JB,

John[/quote]

Last edited by Spotshooter; 06/24/22.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
There's nothing wrong with the Creed. If I had an empty safe and were shopping for my first ground squrrel to deer rifle, the Creed would be an acceptable choice.

But since the safe already contains rifles in 243, 6mm-284, 25-06, 7mm-08, 264 Win mag, and three chambered in 260 Rem. And all the associated reloading equipment and brass is already on the bench. There is no justification for a Creed at my house.

I can't remember ever having to justify buying something that I wanted, even if it was redundant to multiple things that I already had.

I like rifles and I like cartridges, so a new rifle or new cartridge is just an itch that needs to be scratched.
I suspect that I am like the vast majority of the shooting public in that I have a limited budget, a portion of which may be spent on a shooting/reloading hobby.

Yup.

Last season my buddy and I were glassing a cow elk out past 450 yards. Given a choice, that's just a tad further than I wanted to use the CM on.

So, we swapped rifles - my CM for his PRC - using the same bullet, and got the job done with that little extra MV insurance.

Doesn't mean I'm gonna buy a PRC. Nice cartridge, nice rifle, but the CM will do nicely.

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
6.5 Creedmoor hate/disdain/dislike seems to usually be based on what it is not rather than on what it is. Although, that seems to be "most" people's positions with respect to most cartridge and caliber debates.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TheBigSky
6.5 Creedmoor hate/disdain/dislike seems to usually be based on what it is not rather than on what it is. Although, that seems to be "most" people's positions with respect to most cartridge and caliber debates.

I certainly don't hate it. Were it not for the 6.5 Creedchrist we might not have a truly good chambering like the 6.5 PRC.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Small add to the comments -

Accuracy wise - it’s the Brass spec to Chamber spec’s that make it accurate - meaning it’s NOT JUST the chamber spec.

Some of the best gunsmiths have known this for years and buy custom chamber reamers to keep these types of tolerances between the brass and the chamber.. couple it with precision chambering and you get a tack driver as long as the barrel is good..

AND it's the throat diameter spec to bullet diameter relationship.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Folks are mostly laughing at the hype and some of the overly excited tool bags doing the hyping.

The Creed bro is what it is. Virtually a replica of several other 6.5’s that have been around for about ever. Just in a modern package.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Folks are mostly laughing at the hype and some of the overly excited tool bags doing the hyping.

The Creed bro is what it is. Virtually a replica of several other 6.5’s that have been around for about ever. Just in a modern package.

The modern package is the point, and not just from a marketing perspective in case you've neglected to read what JB posted above.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Just in a modern package.
Hence not a replica.... Sigh.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
Just another thread for morons to gleefully identify themselves.

The Creedmoor wins matches and slaughters game.

Fucgging hilarious!
Originally Posted by TheBigSky

Creed threads are never not entertaining.
'Bout like pick up or saw threads.

Generally, "you gotta have what I got, 'cause that confirms me".

vs

"If it's different than what I got..."

Said it before, it does nothing I need,
I got a Swede! (And load for it)
Also standard and Magnums all around it.

Friend has a Christenson something in a Creed he won.
Let him offer to sell it too cheap, I'd jump.
Dad needs something lighter than the old Vanguard 7mag anchor
he totes. Bet he would kill deer with a 120BT.

And yet, this, like the last post, will trigger someone into thinking
it's a post against the round.
Hell, it's support.
Just because there is nothing saying it's better, doesn't mean it's bad.

If shooting steel plates at some distance was my game, it's probably
the round I'd choose. It's so suited to it, it's almost like it was built for it!

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

No disrespect intended. You got that right, it is never a good idea to spend money that isn't discretionary on hobbies or spending the same dollar twice.

Through my church, I coached people who have gotten themselves into a financial hole through credit card debt, helping them learn to set a budget and stick to it until they'd gotten themselves out of that hole. Sadly, there seems to be about a 50% recidivism rate for those who sought help from this mentoring program getting back into debt that they couldn't pay off within a month or two.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Just in a modern package.
Hence not a replica.... Sigh.

I was talking strictly from a point off case capacity and bullet size/weight. 140’s at 2700ish fps has been done for decades.

The faster twist and case slightly shorter doesn’t make it a giant killer. It makes it a common sense package that handles high BC bullets.

Folks make fun of the crazy gun counter claims is the point.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
What will a Creed do that a 6.5-06 won’t do better? Asking for a friend.

Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

662 members (1eyedmule, 1minute, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 63 invisible), 3,103 guests, and 1,292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,701
Posts18,456,746
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.