Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
O
OSU_Sig Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
I didn't want to highjack the thread regarding annealing so thought I would ask this question in its own thread. Can it be done without danger of damage to dies or should it be avoided?

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've reloaded some 38Spcl that was Nickle. It split on about the 3rd reloading where brass seems to last pretty much forever. Think I'll just stick with brass.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I asked JB this question just recently. He said go ahead and anneal the nickel, end result is same-o same-o

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
O
OSU_Sig Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Thanks Ingwe. Now you'll have to instruct me on the annealing process. smile

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I have loaded Ni brass forever. Common sense prevails. Twirl each case in your fingers and check for cracks or splits..toss the cracked....pistol rounds. I still shoot old 22/250,243, 280, 30/06, and 7 Mag Ni brass...I do not anneal them.

Check for cracks and rock on!

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by ingwe
I asked JB this question just recently. He said go ahead and anneal the nickel, end result is same-o same-o

Yup, I started annealing cause of splitting 270 WSM nickel cases. Still using alot of those cases after annealing.

Semper Fi
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
You reload them the same way you do regular brass cases.
Paul B.

Last edited by PJGunner; 06/24/22.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig

Check Johns book " Gun Gack" he describes it in detail. I use the simple candle annealing method and the only thing Ive dont it on so far is old ( but new) .17 Rem brass.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
IN my experience nickel plated cases have two drawbacks, #1 Nickel is porous by nature and prone to carry abraisive particles into the dies and scratch them, #2 Nickel is subject to hydrogen embrittlement thus reducing case life by splitting at the neck. I only use nickel plated cases to load cartridges that will be carried in a leather cartridge belt. The nickel plated cases won't form verdigris from contact with the leather.

O
OSU_Sig Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig

Check Johns book " Gun Gack" he describes it in detail. I use the simple candle annealing method and the only thing Ive dont it on so far is old ( but new) .17 Rem brass.
Will do. I have all 3 Gun Gack books.
Originally Posted by gunswizard
IN my experience nickel plated cases have two drawbacks, #1 Nickel is porous by nature and prone to carry abraisive particles into the dies and scratch them, #2 Nickel is subject to hydrogen embrittlement thus reducing case life by splitting at the neck. I only use nickel plated cases to load cartridges that will be carried in a leather cartridge belt. The nickel plated cases won't form verdigris from contact with the leather.
Wizard, you bring up a point that was my concern about loading nickel plated cartridges and that is abrasive materials damaging the loading dies. Thanks for chiming in.

IC B3

W
WAM Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Nickel plated cases being porous enough to carry abrasive particles into the dies causing scratches seems a bit like flyschitt in the pepper to me. But hey, what do I know.

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
i have used Redding dies and RCBS dies and reloaded Nickel plated once fired cases after i candle`d annealed these Nickel plated cases , then resized these cases and have never had any dies get ruined. dies are much harder metal than any brass case plated or not. i will go along with the flyshitt in the pepper thought !

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
O
OSU_Sig Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by WAM
Nickel plated cases being porous enough to carry abrasive particles into the dies causing scratches seems a bit like flyschitt in the pepper to me. But hey, what do I know.
So I assume, you

Originally Posted by pete53
i have used Redding dies and RCBS dies and reloaded Nickel plated once fired cases after i candle`d annealed these Nickel plated cases , then resized these cases and have never had any dies get ruined. dies are much harder metal than any brass case plated or not. i will go along with the flyshitt in the pepper thought !
and you both have experience in loading nickel plated brass?

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
yep 257 Weatherby mag. Nickel plated brass alot ,30-06 ,270 and many others i did and do reload this nickel plated brass plenty, i have in the past got plated brass free , i used to get alot of free once fire brass plated nickel and regular brass from Federal cartridge, i live only 35 miles away. my uncle was an engineer at Federal cartridge , my hunting partner was a manager at Federal cartridge and my neighbor shot test rifles in ballistics at Federal cartridge. many friends and relatives worked at Federal Cartridge and some still do. so my supply of old plated once fired brass is alot of boxes of different cartridges plated and unplated . but i like the plated best for reloading. > experience with Nickel plated brass i got plenty do you ? Pete53

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
O
OSU_Sig Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Nope, that's why I'm asking.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by WAM

Have been using a set set of RCBS .270 Winchester dies for over 30 years. Quite a few of the cases used were Remington nickel-plated, and have yet to detect any wear....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I wish that ALL my cartridge brass was nickle.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
All the rounds that go through the bolt action 223s are nickel. All the brass rounds go through the ARs.

All my pistol rounds (45, 40,and 9mm) are nickel.

I just love a shiny handgun cartridge.

And if you're worried about particles damaging the die, just tumble before resizing.

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
O
OSU_Sig Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Thanks to all for your insights. I can move forward without issue.

W
WAM Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
OSUSig,
Yes, I have reloaded hundreds maybe a thousand nickel plated brass cases in .35 Whelen, .30-06, 7mm Rem Mag, and .257 Roberts without issues. I don’t reload pistol cartridges so I can’t speak to that.

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
530 members (007FJ, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 52 invisible), 2,308 guests, and 1,066 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,596
Posts18,398,179
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.