Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Valsdad Online Content OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
What do you foresee in your future?

I'm fortunate to live in one of the many rural counties in CA that have no issue granting a carry permit. Local Sheriff knows the deal here, could be a 45-60 minute response time for one of the deputies to arrive depending on where in the county they happen to be.

But, the State requires certain things like a class and qualifying every two years now (used to be longer I believe). A couple of years back they made the training requirement more stringent. Which of course means more expensive. And qualifying requires

(3) The course shall include live-fire shooting exercises on a firing range and shall include a demonstration by the applicant of safe handling of, and shooting proficiency with, each firearm that the applicant is applying to be licensed to carry.

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/....xhtml?lawCode=PEN&sectionNum=26165.

which means more expense given the high cost of ammo (notwithstanding availability, especially in CA where mail order to individuals is not allowed).

I fully expect Gavin and cronies to attempt to make it even harder, perhaps a minimum # or rounds in training, lengthening the courses for initial and renewal, charging more for the DOJ background checks, shortening the permit to one year, etc etc etc.

Which of course will mean more law suits given the recent Ruling.

MA, NJ, NY, HI, etc................what do you folks think will happen there now that like CA the States will be required (shall, not may) to grant permits/licenses?

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Valsdad
What do you foresee in your future?

I'm fortunate to live in one of the many rural counties in CA that have no issue granting a carry permit. Local Sheriff knows the deal here, could be a 45-60 minute response time for one of the deputies to arrive depending on where in the county they happen to be.

But, the State requires certain things like a class and qualifying every two years now (used to be longer I believe). A couple of years back they made the training requirement more stringent. Which of course means more expensive. And qualifying requires

(3) The course shall include live-fire shooting exercises on a firing range and shall include a demonstration by the applicant of safe handling of, and shooting proficiency with, each firearm that the applicant is applying to be licensed to carry.

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/....xhtml?lawCode=PEN&sectionNum=26165.

which means more expense given the high cost of ammo (notwithstanding availability, especially in CA where mail order to individuals is not allowed).

I fully expect Gavin and cronies to attempt to make it even harder, perhaps a minimum # or rounds in training, lengthening the courses for initial and renewal, charging more for the DOJ background checks, shortening the permit to one year, etc etc etc.

Which of course will mean more law suits given the recent Ruling.

MA, NJ, NY, HI, etc................what do you folks think will happen there now that like CA the States will be required (shall, not may) to grant permits/licenses?

I lived in NJ back 1958-1985 and to get a pistol period was a major undertaking and [b]you could not carry[/b]. You needed a firearm ID card which was state issued and involved fingerprints and an FBI background check. TO get a pistol to take back and forth to the range it required you have a firearm ID card and a permit from the local police chief which was usually given after a 3 month wait . It also involved a background check more fingerprinting for each one as I recall and you had to have the permit with you when traveling back and forth from a range.

I see court battles and cities instituting their own laws as usual.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Yes on the cities trying to institute their own regs. San Jose is already trying, if they haven't already, get a law requiring extra liability insurance just to possess guns in your home.

The city rulers in San Francisco and LA must be crapping in their drawers right now just over the recent news. Wait until they start passing laws that get shot down almost immediately (in legal terms) .

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I forsee states just raising the fees and make renewals time short to get a permit just to try to descourage and make it difficult for people who qualify for conceled carry permits.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Is Maryland one of the "may issue" States?

In it is contentment

IC B2

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by cs2blue
I forsee states just raising the fees and make renewals time short to get a permit just to try to descourage and make it difficult for people who qualify for conceled carry permits.

It is in today’s ruling by the Supreme Court that cannot pull that stunt. In so many words.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Longbob

It is in today’s ruling by the Supreme Court that cannot pull that stunt. In so many words.
Oh, I think that's what I'm trying to find out from folks that live in those other States.

In CA, that stunt will be pulled, and it will involve multiple cartwheels and hoops to jump through that will have to be decided in the Courts, starting at the State level, then the Fed individual courts, then the 9th Circuit if they pursue it that far or further.

They will test the wording in the Ruling to the limit.

In it is contentment

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
just renewed my FL permit for another 7 years. In FL, it's all about the State revenue stream.

Sam......

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L

Oh, I think that's what I'm trying to find out from folks that live in those other States.

In CA, that stunt will be pulled, and it will involve multiple cartwheels and hoops to jump through that will have to be decided in the Courts, starting at the State level, then the Fed individual courts, then the 9th Circuit if they pursue it that far or further.

I am on my phone and can’t search it well, but I think Justice Thomas was very direct about this and slammed the door on the states trying that. Someone here probably can go right to it and post it up. Please.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Who knows what Lord Murphy will try and do! Whatever he does I hope he gets bitch slapped hard. I'm looking for to getting a concealed carry permit, next up, suppressors.

IC B3

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Up until three years ago I lived in NY State. In NY, beyond the blanket requirement that you have a permit to buy/own/carry/possess in any way a handgun, issuing discretion has been left in the hands of county judges forever. In many (more liberal) counties, judges had been taking it upon themselves to dream up restrictions on who could have a permit and what restrictions on that permit they would place. Some examples (and I'm not sure these are currently true) in Ulster County, they would restrict people to 3 handguns. The rational was the only legitimate purpose for having a handgun is target shooting and you need .22, .38 and .45 for bullseye competition. At one time, in Oneida County, permits were stamped on the back with a big SRO (supervised range only.) In Onondaga county they wouldn't allow people to carry concealed (although I have friends from there who have no such restriction.) In St. Lawrence County, where I'm from originally, we always had carry concealed permits until a liberal judge got elected and decided to cut that schitt out and placed "outdoor use such as hunting or berry picking but not concealed carry in town." My last one there still said concealed carry, but they were pulling that when you renewed. Since then, they've elected a new judge and his platform was primarily just that he was going to approve concealed carry for anyone. Before mine was pulled, we moved to Oswego County where I was able to transfer in and got concealed carry because that's what I had. I think there, and a number of other counties, they'd let you have concealed carry if you took a course. When we moved to South Carolina I had to take a course (1 day for veterans, 2 days for non-veterans) to get a CCW license, but they got it to me pretty fast. By contrast, when I got my original permit in NY there was no course or anything and it took about 4 weeks to get it. Oh, and a big sticking point for a lot of people, NYS pistol permits are not valid for carrying a pistol in NY City and, I think, that was part of what led up to this SCOTUS case (in addition to politicians deciding on an arbitrary basis who can or can not carry a handgun.) Also in NYS, they keep track of all your handguns. You've got to go through a process to buy and sell them and they get put on or taken off your permit accordingly.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

This is what will happen. The Bureauocrats die hard.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I never worried about laws, when it comes to this issue.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by stxhunter
I never worried about laws, when it comes to this issue.
Other than your family and the weather for offshore fishing...........................

do you worry about much? wink

Probably if I lived in TX, at least the majority of it, I wouldn't worry much either.

In it is contentment

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

I am on my phone and can’t search it well, but I think Justice Thomas was very direct about this and slammed the door on the states trying that. Someone here probably can go right to it and post it up. Please.

I just read quickly through Thomas' opinion and could not find a passage that would seem to meet what you're looking for. Perhaps, as it was 68 pages long or so on my PDF reader, I missed it. There was this though, on the second to last page:

The Second Amendment guaranteed to “all Americans” the right to bear
commonly used arms in public subject to certain reasona-
ble, well-defined restrictions. Heller, 554 U. S., at 581.
Those restrictions, for example, limited the intent for which
one could carry arms, the manner by which one carried
arms, or the exceptional circumstances under which one
could not carry arms, such as before justices of the peace
and other government officials.

in which he mentions "certain reasonable and well-defined restrictions" but does not elaborate on the definition of those terms.

Maybe someone else can find what you're looking for, someone with less tired eyes.

Living here, now for the past 5 years and previously for many more, all I can say is that experience shows the azzhats in office will push those "reasonable and well-defined" restrictions to the limit and they will be tested in court again and again.

In it is contentment

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just set the Forrest on fire

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Live in a shall issue county. Permitting process is already very lengthy giving budget and manpower constraints placed on Sheriff Dept. Now Imagine every yahoo running to submit an application.

That's how Freedom despising Demonrats get you, bureaucracy.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
A member of a local hunters forum tried to call gov. Beaver Teeth Murphy's office yesterday, and found the phone system to be shut down.
He's a coward of the first order.

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I am pretty sure one of the Justice's opinion said conditions cannot be placed upon a person's ability to exercise their constitutional rights. I don't know if that was part of the ruling or just part of that Justice's opinion. Don't know if it carries any weight.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 45_100
I am pretty sure one of the Justice's opinion said conditions cannot be placed upon a person's ability to exercise their constitutional rights. I don't know if that was part of the ruling or just part of that Justice's opinion. Don't know if it carries any weight.
Read the quote in my post above. It's directly from Justice Thomas' opinion.

" subject to certain reasonable, well-defined restrictions."

In it is contentment

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

532 members (1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 19rabbit52, 10gaugeman, 1eyedmule, 54 invisible), 2,729 guests, and 1,224 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,710
Posts18,456,891
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.