Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by erich
When I was putting on shoots for the predator hunting club the Burris FF-II 2-7 was one of my goto prizes, never heard a complaint about them. I did get one that was fuzzy for me and sold it, the person that bought it thought it was great. It might not have had enough adustment for me as it was before my cataract surgery. I have one of the 3-9's in my amazon wish list, trying to decide whether to pull the trigger on it, I usually shy away from anything higher than 2.5x on the bottom end due to the fact I much prefer FOV over X's and really like to see at least a 40' FOV on the bottom end of my scopes.

Erich, same here. A compact 2-7 is what I prefer as an all-around scope. I like that big field of view on 2 power. 7 power is more than enough at reasonable extended range.

Made a 400 yd on a caribou and 500 yd shot on a moose with a 1.5-5. Ive shot moose n caribou using 2-7, 1.75-5, 1-4, 1.5-5, fixed 2.5 and fixed 2.75 scopes.

The 2-7 scopes are just as light, compact and handy as the others, but that 7 power is nicer at extended range. Much brighter/crisper image at max power, over my 1.5-5 scope as well.

Forgot to add:

Anytime i head out via freighter canoe on Alaskan rivers n creeks, every rifle needs to be a "mountain" rifle. Every rifle is a "dangerous game rifle".

The 10 oz -12 oz 2-7 scopes check both boxes........

Last edited by mainer_in_ak; 06/24/22.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
When I was putting on shoots for the predator hunting club the Burris FF-II 2-7 was one of my goto prizes, never heard a complaint about them. I did get one that was fuzzy for me and sold it, the person that bought it thought it was great. It might not have had enough adustment for me as it was before my cataract surgery. I have one of the 3-9's in my amazon wish list, trying to decide whether to pull the trigger on it, I usually shy away from anything higher than 2.5x on the bottom end due to the fact I much prefer FOV over X's and really like to see at least a 40' FOV on the bottom end of my scopes.

I tried the FFII 2-7 and it sucked balls. I would never suggest that scope to anyone..
Schitty eyebox at top end?

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 06/24/22.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
If rifle fits properly and scope ring height is set up to the shooter, even the supposed finicky scope-to-eye alignment on the burris 2-7 is of little concern.

Between 2 alaskan hunters that ive hunted alonside, Ive seen the burris 2-7 scopes account for 2 caribou and 3 moose.

The key, is stepping away from paper targets and forums.........

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Leupold VX3 2.5-8x.. 11 oz of scopey goodness!!!!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I don't know about the 2-7x, but the 3-9x40 eye box is just fine for me. Some of these low price deals are tempting but I've already got a couple of 3-9x40 w/ Ballistic Plex that aren't mounted yet, so I'll pass. But they are great budget scopes and don't give up much to other scopes at several times the price. I'll admit that the eye relief is a little short for heavy recoiling rifles, but otherwise I see few flaws. If you want to dial or want extreme low light performance, there are obviously better choices, but for an all around relatively light set and forget scope they are hard to beat.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak

Possibly but if it's like a 1-8x I have then it's a pain for me to get behind at top power, maybe even a bit at 7x. Not sure if it's my glasses or just how the scope is.

Was a complaint of a lot of folk with the Redfield Revolution 2-7x as well.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
My experience is that many (if not most) folks who try the 2-7x35 FFII fail to mount it for optimum eye relief--which at 7x is the same as the FFII 3-9x at 9x. I know this because I've actually measured the eye relief in many of each. Since the exit pupil of the 2-7x on 7 is slightly larger than the exit pupil of the 3-9x is slightly larger, this result in a larger "eye-box."

Otherwise, the major difference between the scopes is the length of the tube--which is why many can't manage to mount the 2-7x for optimum eye relief on 7x. It's pretty easy to do on a short bolt action, but not so much on a long action.

But this is mostly irrelevant, since Burris discontinued the 2-7x a couple years ago.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Originally Posted by drover
Originally Posted by JDK
Originally Posted by ruraldoc
[quote=JDK]Just picked up 2 of the 3-9s for $109 each. Pretty darned hard to beat them at that price

I just ordered two myself when I saw the price,are they still made in the Philipines? Just as good as they were a decade ago?

I have read through this thread and can't find which scope you are referring to - please enlighten me, I could use a decent scope for a loaner rifle.

drover

That’s a concept worth of a thread of its own. Except for family and maybe one hunting friend, there’s no one I’d loan any gun to; been the case even before the current Age of Insanity.

I can't disagree with you on that although I may except a couple of family members - laugh

Last edited by drover; 06/24/22.

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
My experience is that many (if not most) folks who try the 2-7x35 FFII fail to mount it for optimum eye relief--which at 7x is the same as the FFII 3-9x at 9x. I know this because I've actually measured the eye relief in many of each. Since the exit pupil of the 2-7x on 7 is slightly larger than the exit pupil of the 3-9x is slightly larger, this result in a larger "eye-box."

Otherwise, the major difference between the scopes is the length of the tube--which is why many can't manage to mount the 2-7x for optimum eye relief on 7x. It's pretty easy to do on a short bolt action, but not so much on a long action.
Needs mounted farther back??

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

I tried the FFII 2-7 and it sucked balls. I would never suggest that scope to anyone..
Schitty eyebox at top end?

Schitty eyebox in general. And no, mounting the scope is not hard to do like JB is suggesting. You don't just throw the mother fu cker on and call it good. You mount it for proper eye relief. What a fu cking joke that guy is.. This schit isn't hard..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
[/quote]
Needs mounted farther back??[/quote]

Needs mounted so the eye relief is correct for the shooter and rifle, just like any other scope.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
It’s all some have.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
That is one badasss pic.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
Bushnell LRHS2
Swfa 3-9x42 HD
Swfa 6x

Hard to argue with these.

Bb

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Originally Posted by JDK
Originally Posted by ruraldoc
[quote=JDK]Just picked up 2 of the 3-9s for $109 each. Pretty darned hard to beat them at that price

I just ordered two myself when I saw the price,are they still made in the Philipines? Just as good as they were a decade ago?

I have read through this thread and can't find which scope you are referring to - please enlighten me, I could use a decent scope for a loaner rifle.

drover

That’s a concept worth of a thread of its own. Except for family and maybe one hunting friend, there’s no one I’d loan any gun to; been the case even before the current Age of Insanity.

I can't disagree with you on that although I may except a couple of family members - laugh

Yeah, most of us have a couple of those, though my herd is getting pretty thin.

What fresh Hell is this?
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
If rifle fits properly and scope ring height is set up to the shooter, even the supposed finicky scope-to-eye alignment on the burris 2-7 is of little concern.

Between 2 alaskan hunters that ive hunted alonside, Ive seen the burris 2-7 scopes account for 2 caribou and 3 moose.

Ha Ha, a picture is worth...it also speaks well to the reliability if it holds up in those conditionsgrin

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a 30mm Vortex 2.5-10 on my Savage 308. I think that is about as versatile as a person can get. If I should need to I'm pretty confident I can make a 500 yard shot on any thing. Mostly where I'm at 250 yards would be a long shot.
kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

A lot of truth in that last sentence. BC’s and turrets really don’t mean Jack to most hunters here.

GreggH

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Ivmiker and Greggh,

Honestly, hunting optics are the least important piece of hunting equipment in my 20 years of hunting in Alaska. Plenty of great riflescopes out there below the $300 mark. Same with binocs too.

Same with reloading equipment. I have a cheap lee reloader kit thats produced accurate, reliable ammo for 18 years.

My most important pieces of equipment are my river boat, dog team, mushing equipment and freight sleds. Without those, I couldnt break into the remote, roadless territory that i get to see.

So many wasted words on optics around here, oftentimes by guys who dont do sht.

My binocs are a beat up pair of burris 10x32mm signature that are 12 years old.

Give me a basic 10-12 oz 2-7 compact scope with a ballistic recticle, and ill hike mountains allllll day.

Last edited by mainer_in_ak; 06/29/22.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Fullfield II 3x9’s are on sale right now for $109 on Amazon. Nothing compares for that price. Nothing.

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

262 members (2500HD, 163bc, 12344mag, 257 mag, 007FJ, 28 invisible), 1,853 guests, and 1,024 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,290
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.